Bobek enters guilty plea; 8/16 UPDATE-sentenced to 5 years probation

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Jun 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

Posted yesterday in the Bobek thread in the Trash Can:
    6/18 Jersey Journal article excerpt:
  2. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

3. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

If the recommended sentence is accepted this could be the best news for Nicole. A punishment and chance to get her life together but not too much time in Jail to ruin what that chance could give her. It's all up to her though.
  4. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

How sad that her life came to this :(

I hope she is able to turn things around. Good luck Nicole!
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  5. mikey

mikey ...an acquired taste

She's never had her life together. Jail won't help.
  6. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

7. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

I'll be really curious to see if they really do give her any jail time.
  8. skatak

skatak Well-Known Member

:( :( :(
    after someone post one of Nicole's program (to illustrate the beauty of spiral back then, IIRC), I was wondering what she was up to these days... oups.
  9. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

:lol:

Like jails are set up for people to get their lives together! :rofl:

:confused:

She's a world championship bronze medallist...how can one acheive that without having their life together? I will probably never do anything on the world stage to rival that. And dare I say that neither will the great majority of posters here at FSU either?
  10. ryanbfan

ryanbfan New Member

This is so tragic and sad that Nicole turned to drugs. I hope she can get everything back on track.
  11. birdgal

birdgal New Member

12. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Incredibly sad. :(
  13. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

ITA. She always seemed to be troubled and had a lot of crap happen to her, but nobody ends up at the level she did if they were a complete mess. Sure she might not have fulfilled all of her potential, but getting to the competitive level she did certainly isn't easy.
  14. cryptick

cryptick New Member

I really enjoyed Nicole's skating and it's really sad news. I don't know why anybody would want to get involved with that stuff as it changes one's appearance and is mentally detrimental. I hope she can get back on track again.
    Just wondering when did Nicole's skating commitments dry up, ie-Stars on Ice & competition?
  15. Winnipeg

Winnipeg New Member

It might - it has for others - she will have lots of time to think, stay away from the wrong crowd, get counselling, study, etc.?

I hope so anyway. If there are no consequences, I fear she will repeat.

I wish they'd find a better picture of her than the mug shot - ugh - at least she didn't have to wear orange.

I hope she has stopped using.
  16. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Incredibly sad. She pleaded guilty, meaning that the govt must have had tons of evidence against her, so she is hoping to get a lighter sentence. I have no doubt that she'll do some jail time; she allegedly headed a major drug ring, after all, not just selling little bags on a street corner. This is serious crap.

I hope that she learns her lessons and can have a clean-and-sober remainder to her life.

p.s. It's interesting that the name of the judge who will sentence her is CALLAHAN...just like the coach she had in her most successful year in skating.
    Last edited: Jun 21, 2010
  17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Very sad.

Unfortunately, probably the most lenient outcome possible, under the circumstances.
    I hope that she is able to get the proper counselling/help while she is jailed; so that she can have a productive life when she is released.
  18. Civic

Civic New Member

This is just sad. I wonder how long Nicole has struggled with addiction?
  19. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Very sad -- and I do hope that whatever the sentence is (I'm expecting that she will do some time in jail), that she will be able to make a go of putting her life back in order.

As for her "heading a major drug ring" -- I never read anything implying that. There's a big difference between taking part in something, and actually running the whole thing. If Nicole truly were heading a drug ring, then the charges wouldn't have been dropped down to a level that had a 5-year maximum sentence.
  20. BittyBug

BittyBug Quadless

You seem to have a much rosier view of prison than I do. As far as keeping away from "the wrong crowd," I'm pretty sure the rest of her fellow inmates probably aren't nuns. Which is not to say that there aren't inmates who are trying to turn their lives around, but there are also plenty of bad seeds who are hard-core criminals and users. Drugs are fairly abundant in most U.S. prisons.
  21. Frau Muller

This is very much what was written when she was caught...and similar wording in one of the reports above.
  22. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

The original media reports stated just that. In fact, she was said to have played a "significant role" in the whole thing.

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2009/07/former_skating_champ_nicole_bo.html
  23. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

When you're young, talent and energy can compensate for not having your life together.

I understood Bobek to be a party animal. I remember commentators remaking that she really lacked discipline or something to that effect. And I clearly remember a comment that her coach had slept right outside the door or her room to make sure that she didn't go out partying in the evening. It struck me because it was such an unusual and seemingly amusing comment.
  24. Anita18

How's that?

I can see how being young means it's more likely that you'd have adults watching out for you (like your example with her coach) but there are still plenty of examples of older adults whose lives would be a certifiable mess if not for their friends and/or family watching out for them. Sad that either Nicole didn't have any real friends watching out for her, or that she joined the wrong crowd and left all of her old friends behind.

If not, she must have been THE most talented and energetic young woman on the face of the planet if she had to overcome her life being a complete mess to achieve what she did.

And "party animal" doesn't automatically segue into "meth drug ringleader." She had to take a pretty steep nosedive for that.

And I thought I was a boring homebody. :lol:
  25. Ozzisk8tr

Ozzisk8tr Well-Known Member

:( Poor Nicole. So August 5th is the date, well at least she only has about three more sleeps before she finds out her sentence...
  26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

She's not gonna serve time in Sweden. ;)
  27. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

Her life always seemed to be on a crash course to something. Hopefully she will serve her time and will be able to be healed.
  28. cem

cem New Member

Nicole has been a trainwreck since she was a teenager. She was accused of stealing just prior to her winning the World's bronze medal. Instead of building on that success she returned to form as a talented yet extremely lazy skater. If she had trained properly she could've easily been a medalist at the 1998 Olympics. She may not have been Kwan or Lipinski, but based on the level of skating she could've captured that bronze medal away from Lulu.

I have little to no sympathy for people who get all the opportunities in the world to clean up there life and don't do it. With her skating credentials she could've become a top flight coach making a nice living. But that would take years of hard work and we all know Nicole has no concept of working hard to achieve a goal.

She got off lucky. She only has to spend a year in jail. I feel story for her. She didn't get a proper education and the only thing she knows is skating. SOI is on life support and wouldn't take her anyway and her personality is not suited to coaching.
  29. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

Wow. Thank you for speaking on behalf of everyone here at FSU... :eek:

P.S. Don't you just LOVE absolutes? :lol:
    falling_dance, LynnW, alilou and 7 others like this.
  30. skateblade

skateblade New Member

No matter the circumstances it is always sad to see someone life ruined by substance abuse. I hope she can get healthy.
  31. Winnipeg

Winnipeg New Member

Sorry, I forgot it was a US prison...............:eek::eek::scream::scream::yikes::yikes:

She could always stick to herself and write a book?
  32. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Unfortunately, at this point I think she IS the wrong crowd :(
    pixie cut and (deleted member) like this.
  33. tarotx

tarotx Well-Known Member

Yes especially if she does get jail compared to Prison. But I think this is her best shot at getting her life together. Getting off with no jail would have been bad news altogether and getting a long term stay would have made what's more than likely a doomed for worse a sure thing.
  34. Carolla5501

Carolla5501 Well-Known Member

There's a theory that prisons are like "graduate school" for prisoners... and not a GOOD graduate school either.

Yes, we see the "succes" stories, but sadly a lot of inmates just learn more ways to break the law :(

I am in agreement with you here that this is not the "best" place to turn your life around, but... we can hope she will...
  35. Frau Muller

Not to excuse what she did but Nicole did not have the easiest upbringing with the 'whiff of scandal' surrounding her mom and the late "auntie." I always felt a little sad for Nicole. It's always easy to be a Monday Morning Quarterback on these things but perhaps if she had a more traditional upbringing she may have learned different habits and ways? Ah well, I wish her well after the sentencing and punishment are over.
  36. marquise

marquise New Member

Bobek could have been an even bigger star than Michelle Kwan if she'd kept her head together. Agree with her being a very good prospect for bronze (or even silver, if Kwan had screwed up badly) in 1998. If only she'd had the work ethic to secure this outcome, she'd be a skating commentator or top coach now, and she'd still be commanding decent appearance fees for ice shows. She had the glamorous blonde looks that would have secured her a ton of endorsements outside of skating too.

I'm new: hi everyone!
  37. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

You're not saying that it was the relationship between Bobek's mom and aunt (whether it was a close platonic relationship or a romantic one) that was the source of Nicole's problem upbringing, are you?
  38. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

:eek: Are you *seriously* saying that Nicole ended up being an admitted drug dealer just because she didn't grow up with a "traditional" mom and dad?

Hate to break it to you, but there are plenty of kids from "traditional" families who also end up getting into trouble with the law....
  39. Anita18

:rofl:
  40. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Yeah, because if she had had a mother and father instead of a mother and "auntie", she could have grown up to be Joran Van der Sloot :rolleyes:

Frau, you're a narrowminded, hopeless twit.
    alchemy void, LadyNit, LynnW and 7 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.