Blog/Article: "A Father's Story: Mourning the baby we never had"

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Satellitegirl, Oct 11, 2010.

1. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

http://www.cnn.com/2010/LIVING/10/11/o.father.mourning.baby/index.html?hpt=Mid

Don't read this if you're not up for crying.

I shared this article because it is very touching and I can't imagine having to go through it. Their adopted baby will definitely have 2 great parents it sounds like.

My mom miscarried several times before she finally had me(after my parents had been married for 10 years). I was finally born when she was 35 years old.

2. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

So sad. Makes me realize how lucky I am to have a healthy baby, conceived with absolutely no trouble, who didn't make a scary move his whole time on the inside. I'll think of this next time he's being fussy and high-maintenance.

3. Gypsy

Gypsy Watching the Leaves Change!

This was a very touching article, beautifully written. Thank you.

Our family suffered the loss of my brothers first child (stillborn in the 8th month) on New Year’s Eve. Everything had been going perfectly until Christmas, when my SIL didn't notice any movement. It was heartbreaking. The baby was gone and they induced labor on New Year’s Eve. They had just gone to get the doctor, and while they were on their way, she delivered (just the two of them in the room)

Luckily they were able to have a child (my niece Amber who is now a beautiful young married woman and a registered nurse) of their own eventually, but we will never forget Patrick.

They would have liked to have had more, but emotionally my SIL could not handle trying. For her this was even more difficult because it was the second child she lost. Her first child, Tony died when he was 8 months old. Then she had a girl, Melissa (now in her 30's) from her first marriage. So the two children she lost were her 1st & 3rd (both boys). The two surviving children were her 2nd & 4th. She just did not want to tempt fate with a 5th child for fear it would be a boy and fall into the same pattern.

4. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Aww :( That's very sad Gypsy. I can't imagine the pain of going through all that happiness and then losing the child when she was so close to giving birth, let alone any time. I'm glad they were able to have another baby. Not to mention I can't imagine the stress of having to go through labor and sit there and go through the physical pain, knowing that you've already lost your baby. Heartbreaking.