Black Swan

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by El Rey, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I remember seeing The Company....I thought parts of it were great and other parts were very *yawn* ...I'm a fan of Neve Campbell(where the crap is she lately?) so I wanted to watch it. Nice movie, but not great imo.

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

I have the DVD of "The Company" but could never sit through the entire thing, LOL.

Neve is/was filming Scream 4.

3. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I bought it too. I have yet to make it through that movie though I wish I could.

4. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I also have The Company and have yet to watch the whole thing. I do love the original Center Stage though. It's so bad, but so good. :slinkaway

BittyBug and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I was always told by dancers from the old USSR that the coach-ballerina relationship was important for many reasons. The coach being a great dancer of the same sex who is now retired and teaching. One reason for this relationship was to properly hand down the nuances and small details that elevate Russian classical dance over many other traditions, especially in regard to the great Russian ballets. It doesn't mean cookie-cutter dancers. It just ensures that the depth of artistry survives. They didn't have video equipment and centuries of film readily accessible to study. Besides, working side by side with someone who has lived the roles is different from watching a video!

My daughter was corp de ballet for Swan Lake, Giselle, and Don Quixote in a professional company run by a Romanian male dancer, a former classmate of Baryshnikov-Kirov training. This was about 20 years ago....but he brought in a woman coach (former Zagreb IBC winner) to drill the proper stylistic nuances into our corp. Just a small tilt of the head makes a tremendous difference. And there is a great deal of emotional content in all of it that you just don't get from most American companies, anyway.

I absolutely shudder when some pre-professional little company puts on one of these ballets. It's a desecration. It's like playing Beethoven on a kazoo.

Then again, Russians couldn't tap dance worth a darn...:lol:

Last edited: Sep 11, 2010
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

lol same here, I love Center Stage.

7. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Did anyone go see the movie? I want to see it but it isn't playing here. Does anyone know when it will get a wide release?

8. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

The link worked ok for me but I changed it anyway. This one is IMDB so it should be low risk.
    Dec. 22.
    http://www.imdb.com/news/ni6022460/

Last edited: Dec 12, 2010
  9. Cupid

Cupid Well-Known Member

Don't click on the link above posted by LuckyCharm - my Norton just blocked a high threat virus shortly after I clicked on it.

10. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I want to see this because of the dance aspect, but when Natalie reports that she was "crosstraining with swimming" this kind of loses it for me for the credibility factor.

11. Louis

Louis Tinami 2012

Saw the movie today. It is seriously fecked up and not for the squeamish, but pretty cool. :oksana1: :cool: It had me feeling tingly for about two hours after it ended. I'd definitely recommend it.

12. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

I read some opinions along the lines of: "beautiful but empty."

Still, Aronofsky is a really interesting director and all of his films to date have been excellent, so I'm definitely going to see this and make my own mind up (whenever it gets released over here :rolleyes:).

13. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I kind of want to see it, though the WSJ reviewer seemed a bit...mixed. Like s/he kind of liked it, but was disturbed by it, but that was kind of why it worked, etc. All of which may actually be the point. Overall it was a positive review, though.

Re the height thing, yeah, most are shorter than you think (except, obviously, NYCB and even then.) My cousin really couldn't swing a ballet career, despite being good (she wound up teaching for a few years) because she's 5'7" in her stocking feet and for the companies she tried for, she was just too tall en pointe, and she wasn't SO great she would make it at something like NYCB. 5'2 or 5'3" is going to be a pretty good height for most male partners, I would think, as a lot of them strike me as being on the shorter side (especially some of the Russians!)

14. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm not familiar with how long ballet dancers train each day, but maybe she needed more/different conditioning if they were experiencing long shooting days. Especially if they were doing the elaborate dance scenes all day for days on end...

15. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I am not a big fan of Aronofsky--too OTT IMO, so after reading some reviews I think I will wait to Netflix this one after all.

16. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I remember another thread where some professionally trained ballet dancers on this board said many ballet companies screen for height, and someone under 5'6" doesn't have a chance for the most part (I *think* that was the height mentioned).

It's shorter dancers that are at a disadvantage because they don't produce the same lines as taller dancers.

ETA: Here are the posts I was thinking of:
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=973602&postcount=57
    http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showpost.php?p=974133&postcount=65

Note that in the second post, someone miscalculated 168cm cited to be 5'4" when in fact it's 5'6"

Last edited: Dec 13, 2010
  17. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I saw it today and enjoyed it. It definitely is over-the-top and some parts made me flat-out laugh, but I think you'll enjoy it if you treat it as camp. I thought Natalie Portman was awesome.

18. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap New Member

I thought the movie sucked. The lesbian plot was over advertised. It really had little to do with the film and the part about her even hallucinating becoming an actual swan on stage in her defining moment as the lead was laughable.

19. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I saw the movie today and thought it was fabulous. I kind of went into it looking at it as a non-slasher Suspiria. I love Aronofsky's style, so that could have something to do with the fact that I loved the movie.

20. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

I haven't seen it yet but even though I find Natalie herself to be kind of :rolleyes: at times I think she is gorgeous and with the right material an excellent actress. After years of misteps with the films she's chosen I'm glad she seems to have found the right vehicle to show off her acting talent. I'd love to see her nominated for an Oscar the way some say she will be.

21. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

She was in training long before the Black Swan started filming. Entertainment Weekly had a long interview with her about her preparation which started a year before. This link seems to be the same article..

http://www.natalie-portman.org/?p=251

I have never met any dancers who used swimming as a part of their training. Dancers generally just dance most of the day-although I know a lot of male dancers who regularly do weight training in the gym. Swinning is a great exercise, but many times it tends to build the muscles in the upper body in a not-very-ballet-looking manner. But-I'm no authority on swimming!Maybe a pool was accessible when she was trying to drop some weight while filming the previous movie.

22. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

The only time that I did swimming or water training was when I was injured.

23. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

Was it like gory or just visually disturbing like Requiem for a Dream was?

24. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I want to see it mainly to see the two chicks make out - how TWISTED am I? :lol:

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

:lol: :oksana1: :shizuka1:

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

It was hot and twisted at the same time.

27. emason

emason Well-Known Member

There are P-P-V cable channels for this, you know?

28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:lol:

Hmmmmmm, now if it were a film about skating....I could totally see Sasha in Natalie's role. Nicole Bobek could take Winona Ryder's part of the aging ballerina. Who'd play Mila Kunis?

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Sasha could be Mila Kunis and our favorite balletic headcase Alissa could be Natalie. :angryfire

30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Oh that's right. We need a graceful headcase in this part - and Alissa would be perfect.

Or, Emanuel Sandhu.......