Black Swan

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by El Rey, Aug 21, 2010.

1. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I'm a fan of Mila as well....liked her on That 70's Show and also on Forgetting Sarah Marshall.

2. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

I cannot wait for this movie.

Natalie was actually a dancer before she was an actress. She took tap and ballet for many years, and I believe she got her start in off-Broadway doing dance and a bit of singing as a child.

3. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

I've met her and would say 5'3" is about right.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  4. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

deleted

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  5. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Yeah, that's the reason I really hope it's good. There's still a huge gap between the amount of male-centric films and female-centric ones, so I hope this succeeds (as long, of course, as it's a good film). I think having Darren Aronofsky involved is a good sign.

6. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

I love the trailer for The Black Swan: dance movie? chick gone bonkers movie? Single White Female w/ Toe Shoes? Swan Lake, directed by Dario Argento?

I don't care! This looks awesome. I'm so mad I can't see this at the Toronto film festival.

7. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

My favourite piece of ballet - related movie violence was in The Turning Point, where Shirley MacLaine and Ann Bancroft were beating the crud out of each other at ten paces with their purses.

High camp at its finest.

8. Yehudi

Yehudi Well-Known Member

When I saw that Darren Aronofsky was directing it, my immediate reactions were 1) So that everything and 2) can't wait to see it.

There was a L&O Criminal Intent episode this season set in a ballet school and involved a creepy relationship between two of the students, the victim giving one of her fellow students the nickname "background", and the perp poisoning everyone's sports drink with anti-freeze. Classic!

9. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

David Lynch is also renowned for his decidedly non-romcom female-centric films, but they're too weird to ever be mainstream, bless him. :lol:

I don't think Black Swan will be mainstream either. :eek: It looks like vintage Aronofsky, with a bit of the horror from Requiem of a Dream. But it'll get some press for Natalie Portman and Mila Kunis, and the girl-on-girl action. Definitely will not translate to box-office success though.

10. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Some early words on TBS from the Venice's Film Festival, where the film is the opener:

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/movies/2010/09/black-swan-natalie-portman-mila-kunis-aronofsky.html

11. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

I was interested until I saw the trailer. Either the movie is bad or the people doing the trailer had no clue. I don't like movies that are too literal or go over the top (unless on purpose :lol: ), so the moment she started sprouting little barbs/feathers didn't go well for me. And in general the scenes in the trailer seem like bad over-acting of an even worse script, hopefully they only look like that because they're taken out of context. But then again the movie may just be an overambitious pseudo-psychodrama, kind of crazy, crap. What exactly is it trying to be anyway?

As for Aronofsky. The only of his movies I've seen to the end was The Wrestler, and I didn't like it that much. Much ado about nothing. I remember asking after the final scene, "That's it?" So we think we're going to live forever when we're young, we make mistakes, some big ones, we're trying to fix them and it's not always working, second chances might not work out and then we die. That's how it came off to me, like one of those yellow cheat books that will summarize a great book for you without even trying to go to any depth about it, and with none of the brilliance of the original.

I remember watching Pi but I don't know if I finished it, it was a long time ago. I found it kind of interesting and kind of boring at the same time. Or maybe rather too monotone. Requiem of a Dream was so overindulgent and already proclaimed by many to be the cinematic second coming of Christ, that I didn't have much patience for that.

12. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

This reminds me of the time my mum was buying a birthday present for her daughter in law.

She said to the woman at the counter in Macy's, "Just through 50 bucks worth of anything into a bag for me. Chances are she'll be back on Monday morning to return it."

You can't please everyone.;)

13. SkateSkates

SkateSkates Member

This movie looks really good..but I can't believe I have to wait until December to see it!

14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

15. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

It looks like it has gotten some great reviews at Venice, especially for Portman.

http://nymag.com/daily/entertainment/2010/09/can_black_swan_win_natalie_por.html

About Portman:

I rewatched Rosemary's Baby recently and I am always impressed with Mia Farrow in that film. I can't believe she never received in Oscar nod for any of her films. Of course, I think Ruth Gordon gave the best Oscar speech of all time.

16. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

It's interesting because they mention Polanski and Cronenberg, but it also reminds me a bit of Kubrick...at least from the trailer.

17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

It true it comes out in December? :eek:

18. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Don't most Oscar-bait films do? ;)

19. emason

emason Well-Known Member

Not necessarily December, but certainly from September on. Anything that came out in March, no matter how good, is long forgotten.

20. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet New Member

Do we have the same Mother and sister-in-law?

21. Matryeshka

Matryeshka Well-Known Member

Even though they're not really similar movies, I got a Notes on a Scandal vibe from the trailer, so I don't think I'll be seeing it. While I recognize that Notes was an excellent movie, it's the only one I've ever seen that has really made me feel dirty (and I've seen late-night Cinemax :p ). I felt the same kind of oogey watching that trailer.

I agree with the sentiment and hope that it does well because there are not that many good roles for females, however, I *hate, hate, hate* that ONCE AGAIN it's about jealousy/age/beauty rather than two strong, talented female camraderie or working together.

22. mila19

mila19 New Member

Because in RL you get a lot of strong, talented females working together under some comradeship sentiment? I always thought the "2 roosters can't stay under the same hen-house" (that's Italian, so pardon the rough translation:p) to be very true.

23. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

Well, your story is more about a person who can't be pleased no matter what you do, which is not true for me. I knew the moment I criticized the trailer and other Aronofsky's movies, though, someone would be offended. I don't know why but it's just the way it is. I'm just surprised it took so long.

That reminded me of the time when I criticized the movie Munhunter on a film usenet group years and years ago. Someone went completely bonkers to the point of stalking me. Still, If I don't like a movie/etc, I'll feel free to express my opinion. :p

24. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It happens all the time, particularly in ballet companies, even across ranks. That's not to say there isn't jealousy and disappointment when the resources -- roles/performances/attention -- are limited, or cliques, but there are plenty of female dancers who get along just fine, and plenty more that are great friends. The ground glass in the toe shoes stories sell more copy, though.

25. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

It was true regarding bitter rivalry when I was a little girl and heard stories come out of the local Opera and Ballet House. The Russian metaphor for the relationships among top dancers was described as "the snake soup is simmering".

26. Michalle

Michalle New Member

But realistically, how interesting a movie would that make?

27. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Did Ukraine use the Russian model, where each dancer had a coach/mentor from the previous generation? The Russian model breeds more snaky behavior, because it's not just the dancer's ego/position/rank, but the coach's as well, and the coach's entire pedigree.

Even without that system, generally, the dancer who's sleeping with the boss or is the boss's muse or is simply the boss's favorite won't have very many friends among fellow dancers.

Not a remotely interesting non-fiction movie. Much better as a documentary.

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I don't recall such a model as specifically applied to the dance company from my home town. But I do remember the stories about back biting and general :revenge: atmosphere, especially surrounding the competition for the lead roles.

29. vesperholly

vesperholly Well-Known Member

:eek: I didn't know it was possible to both arch your back and slouch at the same time.

They did make that movie, it was called The Company and starred Neve Campbell. Excellent IMO but it certainly wasn't all that dramatic.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  30. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!