Black Swan

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by El Rey, Aug 21, 2010.

1. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

2. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

*raises hand*

3. sweetsparky

sweetsparky Pasodoble is coming

I´m looking forward to watching it because Natalie Portman and (even if I think he has great ideas, good presentation but no so great final execution) Darren Aronofsky, whose movies are always, at least, interesting. I just hope its truly a psychological thriller and doesn´t move to mind-terror cheap shocking fest.

4. Gil-Galad

Gil-Galad Well-Known Member

Interesting trailer... I haven't heard about the movie before. I really enjoy Portman's acting skills. But I am so not going to watch that. I am a wimp and proud of it. :p

5. Stormy

Stormy Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to it. I really like Natalie Portman although not so much Mila Kunis....whenever I see her all I can think of is Meg Griffin.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

It's not a horror movie, is it? I thought it was a ballet themed movie like 'The Turning Point'. Portman is supposedly quite good in the film, but isn't she too short to be believable as prima ballerina?

7. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

I'm looking forward to seeing it.

8. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Definitely want to see this. I've always liked both Portman and Kunis.

9. Autumm_wind

Autumm_wind New Member

Anyone else got a The Fly déjà vu from the last scene?

I have only ever watch the trailer for the movie and it was enough for me. :lol:

sweetsparky and (deleted member) like this.
  10. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

Another wimp here. Everything I've heard about it makes it sound so creepy and terrifying. I can't take it. I wish I could, if only for the dance aspects, but I just can't. :scream:

11. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Why do I feel like this other girl will be made up in her head? lol

12. michiruwater

Apparently Mila Kunis's character is, in fact, real ;)

Only said because so many are dismissing the movie based on that obvious assumption, not necessarily here but elsewhere as well.

If Portman is too short to believably play a ballerina, what about Kunis? Isn't she even smaller? They have to be two of the smallest actresses in Hollywood.

13. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

I'm looking forward to it and hope it's good. I love ballet and love a good psychological thriller so I hope this doesn't disappoint. My girl crush on Natalie Portman doesn't hurt things either. :eek:

14. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I can't wait to see this!

15. Rhianna

Rhianna ...Her?

I was about to mention that, they're both probably around 5'2 and very small women so neither is overly believable but it's better than if they were vastly different heights.

16. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

There are plenty of 5'2" ballerinas. Even at NYCB during some periods: Arlene Croce once wrote in a review that the company was having "an attack of the shorts". Allegra Kent is not tall, and Balanchine adored her, until she kept having children. Balanchine created role after role for Patricia McBride, who had a great partnership with Edward Villella and a two-year one with Baryshnikov. Gelsey Kirland was another of Baryshnikov's short partners. Short will get you paired with Angel Corella or Joaquin De Luz or Herman Cornejo and in Flanders, Aki Saïto, who is very short, has formed a wonderful partnership with Wim Vanlessen.

Madeleine Eastoe, a fantastic ballerina with The Australian Ballet, is in the movie "Mao's Last Dancer". I'm not sure she's even 5' tall, and she dominated the stage when I saw her dance a few years ago.

Natalie Portman doesn't move like a dancer, which is what makes her unbelievable to me.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  17. DustPuppyOI

DustPuppyOI Well-Known Member

I'm just waiting for an ice dance team to show up with the garish makeup and then get docked by the judges for over-theatricality. :p

18. michiruwater

Natalie and Mila are apparently both 5'3". Same as me :p I thought they were shorter than that, actually.

In what ways does Natalie not move like a ballerina? Just for curiosity's sake, as I have no idea. I assume Mila doesn't either?

19. Rhianna

Rhianna ...Her?

Are you getting that from IMDb? I've read where people have encountered Portman in person and found her to be a fair bit shorter than that.

Also, I say I'm 5'3, I'm really 5'2, but just barely.

20. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

It's a specific posture and grace that ballet dancers have in real life from years and years and years of pulling up and working turnout. They tend to look elongated, walking with the head high, with the head moving loosely on the neck. They also tend to walk with their feet turned out, like "ducks", although in my observation, that's mostly the women.

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Absolutely. You can pick one out of a crowd if you know what to look for.

22. michiruwater

I got the height info on both Mila and Natalie from the interwebz, yes. I would be unsurprised if they were both quite a bit shorter. Observing them in their work they're always quite significantly smaller than anyone else. Every single time I watch That 70's Show I am struck by how ridiculously tiny Mila looks compared to the entire rest of the cast.

23. screech

screech Well-Known Member

I read on the movie's wikipedia site that both actresses trained for six months before filming, and that Natalie had taken ballet until the age of 13. Actually, apparently except for the wide shots where her character is en pointe for a long time, all dancing is done by Natalie and not her double.

I also read that Mila trained 4 hours a day, 7 days a week for this part, but that she had no prior experience.

24. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

I want this movie to do well both commercially and creatively because it'd be nice to see a creative, different type of movie with two female actresses in the lead roles make some money and get some praise.

25. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Well I don't think anyone knows how creative or different this movie actually is until the final product is revealved to the public. For all we know, it could turn out to be another Single White Female :p.

sweetsparky and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

I'll weigh in on really wanting to see this! Height? Depends on the company. Ballerinas come in all sizes, although really tall is more difficult. When you go up on pointe, you add about 4" to your height. If you start out at 5'9", your partner better be well over 6 feet tall, and there are more average-to-short male dancers than quite tall ones, at least in my experience. Though there are some tall guys, there just aren't that many. Some major companies used to require that the corp all be between 5'2" and 5'5" so there wouldn't be vast differences in heights when doing corp work, especially in the big ole ballets where everyone's perfectly lined up, and that does make sense.

Had one of our alumni audition for Joffrey. There were 100 people. They chose two-a male and female-both over 6'. Our girl was 5'3". She wound up at Milwaukee.

Another one of our students won a full scholarship to SAB last year. About last winter she was facebooking all about meeting Natalie Portman and how all these movie people were all over the school filming. Kid has to live in her dorm at Lincoln Center.....poor kid....:lol: I'm kidding, of course. Just for the record, this girl is maybe 5'2". I don't know if SAB prefers them a particular size, but that's just a school anyway, not a company.

27. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

When I said that Natalie looks too short to play a prima ballerina what I really meant to say was that she doesn't have the long lean line of a Gelsey Kirkland, for example. Natalie has short legs. I'm sure most ballerina aren't 5'10" or higher, but they look tall. Katia Gordeeva is another example. She can't be more than 5'6" or 5'7" but her long legs make her look tall when she skates.

28. kwanfan1818

kwanfan1818 I

Proportions do matter no matter how tall the dancer is. A dancer could be 5'6", but with a long torso and short legs look quite small.

29. Clarice

Clarice Active Member

I agree with what you're saying about proportions, and your example of Katia Gordeeva makes your point more than you know. She does seem taller when you see her out on the ice, but seriously, 5'6", 5'7"? She's really about 5'2", and so tiny that you almost don't notice her when she enters a room full of people. Same with Elena Berezhnaya.

30. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I love horror/psychological thrillers but that trailer left me cold. It seems all too obviously in her head even if we know Mila's character is real. I don't know, maybe another trailer would be enough to convince me. I will probably still go see it if the reviews are good enough just because I love the genre and I will for sure rent it when it comes out. I have always really liked Mila Kunis so I am glad to see her get a big role in a big movie.