Black Friday....

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by TheGirlCanSkate, Nov 14, 2012.

1. TheGirlCanSkate

TheGirlCanSkate Active Member

2. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I have done Black Friday the last two years in a row but I gotta say, it was NOTHING like those videos! I went to Wal-Mart and they did sort of a ticket system for high price items (ie. TVs, phones, cameras, etc.) where you get a bracelet or number or something and once the item goes on sale (like around 4am or something) then you come and pick it up. That's a safer way than opening the doors and having 500 people come barreling down the aisle for stuff.

This year, I don't really have any money to spend on junk. The first year I went I wanted a Blu-ray player. I got a LG Blu-ray player regular price $130 for $70. That was all I was after so I didn't buy much else. Last year I spent a lot and bought like 19 movies/TV shows, CDs and crap I didn't need. I've watched maybe 4 or 5 of the movies I bought! :D If we decide to go this year, I'll make a list of stuff I want and stick to it or give myself a set spending limit and stick to that. I might just do some Amazon Black Friday shopping right from the comfort of home!

But I'd never put myself in a position to get trampled or smothered like the people in those videos. If the crowd was that huge and unorganized, I wouldn't bother...

3. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

I avoid Black Friday at all costs. Soooo not my thing.

4. peibeck

peibeck Counting down the days 'til Skate America

The one and only time I did any early Black Friday shopping expedition, I was nearly taken out when I walked by two ladies fighting over a turkey fryer. :drama: I've avoided those early AM sales ever since. (Although last year I did go out and get a fab down comforter for myself on Black Friday, but by then it was like 1 p.m. and most of the crazies had long dispersed. :lol: )

5. TheGirlCanSkate

I did it...I HAD to have a breadmaker (used it a month and now it is in storage). But it was at Macy's after 1 so there were no lines. I did send my husband one year to Toys R Us for a Nintendo DS. But I stayed home in bed. :D

6. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

Can you explain about this day please .I once saw a programme about it where women were fighting over wedding dresses :confused:
    Why is it called black ?

7. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

I believe it's called that because it's often the date/sales period when a shop will make most of its money and go from operating at a loss or "in the red" to making a profit for the year or "in the black". I don't know if that's really true for stores, but that's where I've heard the term originated.

8. pp55

pp55 Member

From Wikipedia:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Friday_(shopping)

The day's name originated in Philadelphia, where it originally was used to describe the heavy and disruptive pedestrian and vehicle traffic which would occur on the day after Thanksgiving.[4][5] Use of the term started before 1961 and began to see broader use outside Philadelphia around 1975. Later an alternative explanation began to be offered: that "Black Friday" indicates the point at which retailers begin to turn a profit, or are "in the black".[4][6]

9. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

Going to Portland that weekend. Since I will be leaving after work Friday, I will miss much of the craziness but hopefully there will still be solid sales for the remainder of the weekend.

10. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

I did it once with my sister-in-law just to experience it. No scary mobs scenes, but some stores were definitely better prepared than others. In Toy R Us, there was a TON of staffers available. Practically every customer has a personal shopper with them. You simply told them what you wanted, and they directed you to each item, put it in your cart, and then directed you to the nearest cash register. Very efficient.

Went to Best Buy - long lines and lots of confusion. Totally different than Toys R Us.

Never did it again except for that one year. In fact last year I ventured out to Kohls around 11 am and must have hit a lull. Found a parking space, scored some awesome deals and was in an out in no time at all.

11. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

OMG, I love Adidas Headquarters, which has a store reserved for staff and other MVPs. Was able to sneak in due to some familial connections and everything was half off (and since we were in Portland, no sales tax!). Got running shoes, a messenger bag and compression socks. So much fun!

Working at Adidas seems like a really swanky job. I also saw a gym and did I see a football field?

12. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

I usually avoid both Black Friday and Boxing Day sales. Except this year I made a big purchase but it was online.

13. misskarne

misskarne #ForzaJules #KeepFightingMichael

So, Black Friday is Boxing Day?

14. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

No. Black Friday is the day after US Thanksgiving. Boxing Day is what the day after Christmas is called in the UK and I also believe in Canada.

15. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

Will not do Black Friday. Will not go to a mall on a weekend until after the holidays. I hate crowds! I do a lot of my Christmas shopping on line.

16. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

And now my inbox is filled with Cyber Monday deals. :lol: I won't knock it, though -- there are actually one or two good ones in there, like the one from Barnes & Noble.

17. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

You missed it anyway. ;)

18. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I'd never heard of black friday until last year! It seems because of many global companies discouting products online (like Apple), UK retailers also have a sale to price match so we inadvertently get the benefits! I did most of my Christmas shopping online on Friday :cheer2:

19. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I didn't mean this one specifically, I meant - ever! :)

I remember, when I was a kid, my Dad had the Friday after Thanksgiving off. It was common for schools to be off, but not so common for businesses (we're talking '50s & 60s). My family would go christmas shopping that day, the stores were not that crowded. It wasn't until the '80s/'90s that Black Friday became a huge "thing". I guess the term was around longer, in Philadelphia (1961), but had little significance elsewhere at that time. Now, between Pre-Black Friday, Black Friday, Black Weekend, and Cyber Monday, it's turned into an entire week. But, the stores will continue to have more and often better sales closer to the holidays. So, I wait it out! And, as I already said, won't go near the malls on Black Friday or a weekend until mid January.

20. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Of course, now some stores are opening on Thanksgiving, which is aboolutely idiotic. I stayed at my parents' house until after 10:00 PM Thanksgiving day, and when I go home I passed by a Target. Almost 11:00 PM and the parking lot was packed. Insane.

I spent Black Friday splashing some color around my living room by putting up my tree. :)

21. TheGirlCanSkate

I avoided it...mostly. We spent Black Friday traipsing downtown with family and having lunch when we stumbled upon a support local business festival. We ended up with some items made by local artists (does it count as not Black Friday since they were all full price)?

22. Moto Guzzi

Moto Guzzi Well-Known Member

I usually avoid Black Friday shopping because I don't like dealing with crowds. Yesterday one of friends posted on Facebook that she got some really good deals on Amazon on a sewing machine and a laptop. I want to get a serger but couldn't find a deal on one. I need to do more research on them anyway because I don't know what I want.