Black Friday

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by manhn, Nov 18, 2011.

1. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Any good online deals? I am not physically going anywhere, except taking Mini Ice skating.

2. mkats

mkats New Member

I didn't head out until 12:45 (PM!) today, swung by Banana Republic. Got a cute pair of work appropriate blouses in coral and magenta for $23 total, including taxes. The staff was completely overwhelmed by the sheer number of people but were still incredibly nice and helpful - perfect service!

3. jen_faith

jen_faith New Member

I got just under $1,000 worth of bedding for $370. Our bedding was getting really old and worn out so it was money I was going to have to spend (about $400 is what I had budgeted) so I was happy. Store wasn 't too crowded and we went at a reasonable time. I avoided the mega-mall around the corner for a less crowded and saner experence.

4. Spareoom

Spareoom Well-Known Member

I work at Target at open today, and it was insane. Longest line ever, but everything was very calm and organized. Hats off to corporate for training all the managers in crowd management and getting everything organized so that all the crowds could be handled smoothly. They did something new this year where they didn't let everyone in all at once, but metered them in at about thirty or so people every five minutes. It meant that there was no massive crush threatening to trample people.

What really made my jaw drop was the initial line to check out...it was a switchback that went up and down aisles the entire length of the store. 8-o Even then, though, I heard that the longest wait was only an hour; pretty impressive considering how freakin' long that line was.

Not that I'm biased or anything, but I don't know how Walmart still allows Black Fridays to come and go without any real efforts to make it safer and more organized. Every single person I've talked to who has gone to Walmart on Black Friday always says that it is complete chaos and somewhat scary, and the lines are always ridiculously long and disorganized even though they have twice as many people working as we do. And every time you hear about customers or employees getting hurt, odds are it's at a Walmart. When will enough be enough?

5. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

That's what I said to Mr. Mac when he told me!

I know someone who was waiting in line at Best Buy to get those 42" tvs for $200 as soon as Thanksgiving dinner was over. At least with those, they gave out tickets so at some point you know if you are going to get one or not. I still think it's crazy.

I don't think people realize that a lot of those sales are not a good bargain. Macys had all these items on sale and they were very cheap but most of them were crap items so the "sale" price wasn't that big when you realize that these items normally sell at discount stores for not much more.

For example, they had a bunch of items by "Bella" which is certainly not a big name Small Appliance manufacturer. They were pretty much novelty items like pancake and mini-donut and quesadilla makers. But they were only $10 so people were buying them like crazy! I think they will give them to other people as gifts. Those other people will use them 1-2x times or give them away as white elephants. So it doesn't matter, I guess, but it seems like a waste to me.

In my case, I've wanted a cake pop maker for ages and have been looking at the cake pop baking trays but decided the novelty cake pop maker for $10 was a better deal (the trays are $20 and, yes, they make more cake pops but I didn't want to spend that much because I know cake pops are a fad).

They also had Black & Decker stuff but who gets a 2-slice toaster these days when a 4-slice one isn't really much more? Again, I think these were being picked up as presents.

I'm not. It seems like "everyone" is into it because of the crowds, but if you think that there are hundreds of people standing in line early at each store, well, that's not the majority of people in that town.

Some people are really into it and go every year but I'm not a big shopper and I went last year because my daughter wanted to go and I figured it would be fun to do with her. After this year, she doesn't want to go any more so that's two years and out for us. For other people it's a one year and out sort of thing.

I do buy most of my stuff online. Before we went went out this year, we bought a washing machine (ours broke just last week) that was on sale just on Thurs. and only online. Then I ordered some stuff from Target. Today I'm ordering some of this special hot chocolate that I like that is 50% off online today only and free shipping. I'm going to order some other stuff online for out-of-town relatives and have it wrapped and shipped to them directly.

Well the jokes on her. That X-box deal was a crappy deal. It's the older 4GB X-box and you can buy it online for between $145-160 so buying it bundled with a bunch of stuff, half of which you probably don't want, for $200 isn't a deal at all.

So multi-quote dropped the comment about how the terror happens at places like Wal-mart and not "organized" places like a bunch of others including Macy's. All I have to say to that is: you haven't been to my Macys. It was HORRIBLE.

They didn't manage the lines at all and so they sprung up in places the staff didn't want them and their attempts to fix it lead to a lot of heated exchanges between people standing in certain lines and people trying to join those lines when they'd been declared "dead" and the new line was somewhere else. Plus they had 3 registers and four people working them but after about 15 minutes only 1 of the registers was actually checking people out. I stood in line for over an hour to buy 3 items and then when we tried to leave to put our purchases in the car, the escalator was broken! So there were hoards of people walking down it their arms ladened with purchases. I decided I didn't want to die and took the elevator.

6. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I was out to breakfast around 9:45 this morning with some family members, and none of the shopping centers were crowded at all. And driving home along I-95 there wasn't much traffic either. Maybe everyone was home sleeping after their all-night shopping adventures. We were all very surprised.

7. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

The stores, advertisements, media and economists all combine to tell us how important Black Friday is to us and how it reflects the current economic state. To me, it is all a joke on the consumer. You must have, you must have, your holiday won't be complete without the xyz of the season. I guess I saw the cabbage patch dolls as one of the first "you must have and you will only get if you stand in line for hours" item. Followed by Care Bears, Ty Babies, Tickle Me Elmo, etc.

My mom, who does not shop, stood in line for Cabbage Patch Dolls for my oldest son and niece. She was so excited that she got them - the kids not so much.

I did one black Friday as a teenager because it was a brand new mega mall opening. Difference from then to now, stores opened at 8 am instead of 10 am on Friday. Parking was the biggest issue. I don't remember buying anything - just wanted to be a part of it.

I prefer staying home and watching football. I'll go online shopping or mall shopping next week.

8. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

I work at the mall of america and while my store did not open until 6 am, some of the girls from Express came by and said they had 800 people waiting for them to open at midnight and they did about 3,000 transactions between midnight and 2:00 am. Wow. :eek:
    I was in zombie mode until I stopped by Lane Bryant and saw they had 50% off everything...and then I promptly lost my shit.
    The worst line was Starbucks....it was out the door. I never got any kind of caffeine. :(

9. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

:confused: Your purchases?

10. Scintillation

Scintillation New Member

Lets seeeeee....I got 2 pairs of pants, 3 camis, a sweater, a nice sparkly black top, and 2 pairs of undies. That was $175, plus I got coupons to come in before December 11 to get $75 off of a $150 purchase.

11. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Did you do Sephora's VIB sale a few weeks back?

12. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

:lol:

Where do you guys live that you're getting crazy folks?

13. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

Most of the issues that appear on the news are at Walmart.

I don't shop walmart on Black Friday or the day after xmas.

I stick to my best buy, target, kohls, macys and boston store.

14. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I had to work today so I didn't go shopping until lunch.

My mom got a $400 desktop at Sam's club, some stuff from Menards and some jewelery at Kohl's. My mom got up around 3:30am.

I missed not being with her this morning. We have such a good time, she brings cream of wheat or yougart and I bring hot tea. We sit in the car and take turns in the line before the door opens. Or we just wait in the car until the door opens.

15. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Now the heifer is looking at a possible jail sentence. Serves her right. How idiotic!

16. Debbie S

Debbie S Well-Known Member

I was nestled all snug in my bed this morning. :p But I did shop online. Got a new laptop to replace my current one whose screen shakes, a lot, constantly. HP was having a Black Friday sale so I was able to upgrade to a better version for less money than I would have spent on a downgraded version last week. :)

About the only thing I saw in all the BF ads that looked worthwhile was a digital camera. They weren't giving it away, but it was discounted. But my current one works fine, and it's really not a necessity right now.

17. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Me and my mom hit Salvation Army. Ours is an "upscale thrift shop". All clothes were 5 for $5.00. Got some stuff from Old Navy brand new with the tags on them that I will sell on Ebay. There was a line to get in but everyone was polite. Somebody could do very well going around these lines with a coffee/espresso cart! Some big dollars to be had!

18. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

There were a bunch of food trucks in the parking lot of our mall during the madness. Tacos, grilled meat and dessert with lots of music playing like it was a big party.

19. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I actually shopped this year for the first time in maybe 18 or so years.
    Dyson vacumns were on sale in lots of stores - same 25% off (I have been eyeing them for so long). I don't have a pet and the model I wanted is a yellow/orange one that I think is ugly (the ones for pet hair are purple, but cost more). Target had an exclusive Red one, instead of ugly color, same discount, so I went when it opened at midnight. Line was long, waited maybe 15 minutes to get in. Local police were allowing people in groups, as mentioned in earlier threads. The police and Target employees were great. Once in the store, it was crazy. Lots of large TVs were in carts and people were pushing the carts, yakking on cell phones and not paying attention and bumping into people.
    Since I was there, I bought a few toiletries I needed, which are on the other side of the store from all the electronics, and the checkout line was not long. I got there about midnight and left about 1pm.
    A friend was with me to keep me company and she wanted to go across to the mall to go to Macy's. It was crowded, but ok.
    Then I got up @ 430 to go to ACMoore (craft store) for 5 am to get a Cricut (diecut machine) that costs $300 but was on sale for $168, which is the cheapest I have ever seen. I arrived about 505 and got the machine, and they were out of them by the time I walked out of the store.
    I am glad I went, saved money on 2 items that I was planning to buy anyway (approx $250). But glad I don't normally have to go shopping then.
    Just the mood of everyone felt strange, not happy holiday, but rushed.
    I actually live near the mall, and change my driving pattern from Thanksgiving til New Years to avoid certain roads closer to the mall.

20. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I did some online shopping, but not until 4:00 pm. I got some fleece-lined jeans for my toddler (have to get them every year) and they were 50% off, and a cart thing from another baby store that I needed.

i would never step into a big store or mall on Black Friday.

21. Lacey

Lacey Well-Known Member

Youngest daughter and I did local shopping at about 5 boutiques, Banana and JCrew, we did not go to the mall. Got parking right away everywhere we went, stayed out about 5 hours. 40% off at most stores, Banana included. Her Xmas is done, she's happy.

22. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

Forgot to post this earlier but at my Macy's earlier today but when I was on my break, one of the managers was in there too and said we had all ready done $450,000+ in sales.....in three hours. That was our midnight to three am time period. I about fell out of my chair. That's a lot of sales in a short amount of time! :eek:

I am freaking exhausted and desperately need some sleep. I've been awake pretty much non stop, save for a few hours of napping this morning, since 8:30 AM Thursday morning. :yikes: :yawn:

23. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I don't know if every baseball tea did this, but if you bought SF Giants tickets today, they were 20% off. To get the two games I wanted, I was online (in the virtual waiting room) and on the phone for a total of 90 minutes. So there were lines even if you weren't in a store. :p

Note to tickets.com: upgrade your damn servers.

24. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

Meh. Purchased 4 art/drawing technique books on Amazon.

Bought two pairs of Editor pants from Express...at 11 am. 40 percent off :p

I refuse to shop on Thanksgiving...I know the demand is there but I feel bad for the employees who have to work that day.

25. myhoneyhoney

myhoneyhoney Well-Known Member

I didn't get out of the house until @ 1pm today and still got what I wanted at Target! Woohoo!

26. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Black Friday here started on Thursday at 10pm. I did it one year and swore I'd never do it again, but my son wanted the "experience" so out we went. Long lines, but not as bad as I've seen in other years. Walmart was rather tame, but the police were there investigating an incident of some dispute between customers in line and the manager.

Took a few hours, but we hit everything. Was hoping for iPads to go on sale, but the best I found were $45 off, or $75 gift cards with the 3G. Not really that great considering the price.

27. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

:lol: I didn't like the yellow one, either. I bought the Animal (purple) one when Dyson had major discounts on their website 6 or so months ago (including free shipping). It was still more expensive than the yellow one but I decided that the "pet" brush (good for couches, too) was worth the difference. If I wanted to buy it separately it would have cost a lot more. I love my Dyson. :)

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  28. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I love shopping, but I will not go near a mall (or any store, other than grocery) on Black Friday or on any week end between Thanksgiving and Christmas. I can't stand crowded places. I use my store points/private sale coupons/shop friends and family sales, and do just as well as the "one day only, highly publicized sales". Many of the gifts for my kids/nieces are J. Crew. I wait for their best on line % off and free shipping, then buy in one fell swoop. Because I have J. Crew card, I get early notice of sales. Also, many of the stores I shop in will allow you to return it and get a better discount, if the item goes on deeper sale within 10 days of original purchase.

My husband and I are planning on seeing a movie tonight, the nicest one is part of a mall complex, but not actually in the mall. I'm a bit worried that parking will be a nightmare!

29. Sarah

Sarah Active Member

I never go shopping on Black Friday. I hate crowds! This year I'm broke so all the more reason to avoid the store.

I did take advantage of one deal. My feed store had $2 off the grain my one horse eats. I had a $10 off coupon for that grain as well. The $18.99 bag of grain cost me $7ish with tax. To me, that was the deal of the weekend. I have more coupons and the sale lasts till Sunday. I might just go back.

30. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

You should. Just make sure you store it so that you don't get bugs. You probably know this, but grains can get wheat moths. And once you get them, they are really hard to get rid of. they lay eggs and the larvae get all over. I got them in my pantry once, must have come in in some box of cereal or pasta. I had to throw everything out, except for canned/bottled goods. They even got into sealed packages of dried soup mix!