Black Friday

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by manhn, Nov 18, 2011.

1. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

So, I'm not going to 4CC this season because of work so I have to use my holiday time elsewhere. I am going to use a portion of it (well, one day because I can't get more right now, and I'm lucky to get this day off) to celebrate the best American holiday ever (maybe the best holiday in the entire world, but I'm not that knowledgeable of other cultures)--Black Friday! First time and I can't wait.

Questions:

1) Canadians who go down during this time--how crazy will the border lineups be? I will be leaving Thursday after work (around 7pm). I'm hoping most Canadians will leave sooner in the day to celebrate Thanksgiving with family, but I don't really know. Especially, with stores like Walmart opening at 10pm Thursday.

2) How is traffic? I love how all the big box stores and malls in the US are always right off the highway. It's so easy to shop. But traffic will be crazy, right?

3) When will transit be available? Do they revise their schedule for this very special day? I'll be going to Portland so was planning to use their Max System, but I somehow doubt that it'll be open at 3 in the morning. Will I have to rely on my car?

4) BTW, will all the big sales only occur at these crazy hours, like 10pm to 5am? During the normal hours of Friday, will everything go back to regular prices? Is shopping at, say, 10am Friday just a waste of time?

5) I have checked out all the flyers, and I haven't seen one sale on something like toilet paper. I don't need a new television and I don't need to buy toys for little kiddies (I'm going for clothes and basic household items). However, Wal-Mart will have a HUGE sale on guns! :eek: Am I wasting my time when searching for a deal on toothpaste?

6) Does IKEA do Black Friday? They do not do Boxing Day up here.

7) Are restaurants and coffeeshops open during these crazy hours? Are restaurants and coffeeshops open on Thanksgiving? We'll be driving to Oregon on Thursday and I would rather eat dinner in the US than in Canada because I like to go to places I haven't been to before. As well, I will need :coffee::coffee: in order to shop overnight.

8) Is it really that crazy? I find Boxing Day up here busy but not all that overwhelming. I don't mind the crowds. But I find most people polite and have fun in the madness. I find people pushier during other parts of the year. Is something like the Walmart incident the norm or an exception?

9) One doesn't need to justify a sale, but I have always been confused why the biggest sale of the year in the US is the day after Thanksgiving. Why would retail stores have such deep discounts during a time when lots of people will spend a lot of time and money regardless of the prices? They need to buy gifts for people. Our Boxing Day is the day after Xmas--so the sale items tend to be for things that no one wants/needs to buy.

10) Any tips and secrets of the trade will be greatly appreciated.

Oh yeah, Happy Thanksgiving, Americans. Enjoy your turkey and stuffing. BTW, how do people shop after eating so much? The last thing I want to do on a full stomach is try on clothes.

2. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Spin Alissa Spin!!!

First time!?!

You need to experience Black Friday at least once.

This way you understand why you'll never do it again. :scream:

3. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Manhn, you need to get out a bit more. . .little a little :)

I would expect long wait times as I'm sure many other Canadians are going across the border for either Thanksgiving or Black Friday (especially given the strength of our dollar). And many, like you, don't have the day off.

:eek::eek:

3 a.m :lol: . . .Well, they say the line-ups are not just fine, but also good fun, providing you don't get stamped . . .

If not, you'd better hurry!!

How could searching for deals on toothpaste and toilet paper ever be a waste of time?

I'm sure if you work at it, you'll master the art of it.

Have fun. And while you're at it, bring me back a few pounds of sharp cheddar and I wouldn't say no to a few rolls of toilet paper, if you can spare a few. :p

Last edited: Nov 18, 2011
  4. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

Most of the big sales will go on until noon or one. The problem is that a lot of the stuff will be gone by then, as the deeply discounted stuff is usually in limited quantities.

The basics such as toilet paper are not going to be marked down, at least not drastically. The purpose of Black Friday is to move a ton of seasonal merchandise quickly.

Have a blast, though, and don't listen to the haters. :p I love shopping on Black Friday, though I usually don't head out until after ten or eleven a.m. :)

5. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

After the turkey is eaten, most people take a nap... that's the secret for having the energy to shop the next day ;)

6. topaz

topaz Well-Known Member

I don't mind Black Friday, really I don't. My mom, her bff, her daughter and myself go each year. We go to certain stores and get the items we want.

The stores that have overcrowding and have fights are usually the stores that are unorganized, i.e. Walmart. I've never had issues at Target, Macys, Boston Store, Kohls, JCPenney and Toys r us. Best Buy is a dream on Black Friday. The stores have the big ticket items out infront of the aisle and restock the area very quickly. The big electronics items on sale, folks are given a ticket to use when they check out and the products are brought to them at the register.

In my experience, the stores are more crowded the DAY AFTER Xmas. But for those who haven't been to any Black Friday sales in a store in years, they need to rethink this idea that the stores are chaotic and miserable to be in and examine where they are shopping.

KatieC and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Norlite

Norlite New Member

I'm crossing the border for Black Friday this year too. First time ever. Leaving in time to be there in time to stand in line for the 10pm openings.

I am having a little trouble finding ads on line for BF sales. Is it too early yet? Will the appear this weekend?

If there are any kind souls who can link for me I'd be forever in your debt. ;) I'm only going as far as Watertown NY but they do have a Target, Kohls, Best Buy, Walmart, JCPenney, Kmart, and actually, most other BB stores. Looking mostly for electronic type things, and movies, games toys and other stuff for grandkids.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. Wyliefan

Wyliefan Well-Known Member

I'm thinking of going to a local antique store on Black Friday. They're having a 15 percent off sale . . . and even if they have a crowd, an antique store version of a crowd is nothing like a department store version of a crowd. :)

9. Colleen

Colleen Member

I went last year for the first time - crossed the border at Sumas and there was no line up at all. But it had snowed last year, which probably scared some people off. One tip - very few restaurants are open. There was only one restaurant in Bellingham open and it was jammed. We had our longest wait of the night there.

Traffic was not bad at all. We went to the outlet malls at Tullalip, were there around 9:30 and had no problem getting into stores that opened at 10. Biggest lineup was for the Coach store, which we skipped. It was very odd to see the food court jammed at 2AM!

The border lineups, which I thought would be horrific, were not an issue at all. We went back to Bellingham on Saturday and had no waits at all.

There were deals - I thought a lot like Boxing day here. The novelty of shopping all night long has not worn off; we're going again this year.

10. Garden Kitty

Garden Kitty Tranquillo

11. manhn

manhn Well-Known Member

http://bfads.net/

Have fun!

Have Canadians ordered things online from US websites? I find Canadian websites not worth it in terms of price, except for some electronics. Are the shipping costs excessive? Anyways, I have never seen how ordering clothes online works.

12. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Bump.

Please tell us about your adventure Manhn.

13. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

I just got done working a midnight to 6 AM shift (I'm working retail just through the holiday season for some extra money) and it actually wasn't too bad. People were friendly, we were all in the same boat of trying to figure out what time of the day it was (no windows in my department :lol: ), and the only part that scared me a little bit was when they opened the doors and a MASSIVE crowd of people came roaring into the store. I'm working at Macy's....not Best Buy or something like that so we were all a little surprised by the crowd numbers right at midnight! :eek: :yikes:

I was going to sleep for a bit once I got home but I'm totally full of caffeine right now and can't relax at all. I'm meeting friends for lunch at noon. I hope I can rest at least a little bit before then! I tried to sleep before I went to work last night but that didn't work so well. :( :yawn:

14. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

According to this article, you might want to wait.

15. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I have always steered clear of the stores from Black Friday thru Xmas. I come from a long line of self-professed shopping experts and they NEVER shopped on Black Friday because they claimed there wasn't enough advantage to justify fighting the crowds. But I have wanted to try it for myself for the last 6 or 7 years but could never get off work for it. I am sitting in traffic now.

I wish everybody the best of luck and look forward to hearing about all of the great deals. And please, stay safe. I just heard on the radio about some idiot lady in Los Angeles who sprayed pepper spray at Walmart to gain a shopping advantage! :(

16. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

FiveRinger and (deleted member) like this.
  17. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

It's so silly. I went to Kohl's at 7:45am, sailed in, shopped without any issues, got immediate service at the register, and was out 30 minutes later with just as much savings as the idiots that crowded the store at 1 am. The "early bird" discounts that they advertised as being from 1am - 4am only were still in force after 4am. Suckers.

18. Meredith

Meredith what a glorious day!

Last year my #1 grandson opened the doors for Target :cheer: on black Friday. He was nearly swept off his feet - scared him to death. This year he stocked shelves in the same store until 5:00 a.m. Thursday and was off 'til 9:00 this morning, a huge relief to us all.

19. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

NBC had a story of a woman who used pepper spray to have an advantage over other shoppers to get an XBox :eek:
    Stupid

20. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I couldn't sleep last night, so I just drove down to our mall to look at the lines. The line into best buy wrapped halfway around that side of the mall. Whatever those people wanted, I guarantee you they didn't have enough! What's the point? If you aren't the first 10 people, you aren't getting the doorbuster...

Target was similarly insane.

I usually go to Joann's to get fabric (and stand in the cutting line for 3+ hours), but I watched ladies short this year instead. I can't think of anything I want, so I'm likely going to just stay in this year.

That lady who pepper sprayed someone better be arrested, and have the x-box confiscated. That is absurd!
    The number of people getting shot is crazy too: http://usnews.msnbc.msn.com/_news/2...t-in-armed-robberies-15-others-pepper-sprayed (That really just seems to be criminals taking advantage of black friday, rather than crazy shoppers though)

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  22. WindSpirit

WindSpirit OmnipresentAdmeanistrator

I hate shopping in general so Black Friday is definitely not for me. I was going to go get some body wash and simple stuff like that, but after I realized it's the Black Friday weekend I think I'll do it on Monday.

BTW, there's a poll on Yahoo's main page "Is Black Friday shopping worth it?" and 91% chose "No, the crowds are a hassle." I was surprised by the percentage, I thought more people were into it.

23. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I like Black Friday, but couldn't be arsed to get out today. Instead, I just bought my mom a camera for Christmas from home. I might go to Ulta or Sephora, but I can't decide if I'd rather just stay home and order stuff online since the sales are pretty good and I can get free shipping anyway.

24. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

That's because the people who would've voted "yes" are still in line somewhere. ;)

I'm about to head out. I figure the crazies should be gone by now. Right???

25. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Woman used pepper spray when people cut in front of her :eek:. Well, I guess she ended up not getting whatever it was that she was waiting in line for anyway, because I hope the police hauled her *ss to jail. If one feels it's necessary to carry some sort of defensive weapon when going shopping then that person should not be out shopping. Period.

26. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

While I agree that she should be punished fully, all those people mugged last night probably wish they had brought pepper spray.

27. FiveRinger

I stated upthread that I've never done Black Friday and had been reconsidering. But, now I'm thinking that shopping online is the safest, especially if you can get the same deals. A lot of these stores offer free shipping. Fighting these morons in the malls aren't worth bodily injury or death.

28. Buzz

Buzz Well-Known Member

Actually Orbitz according to CNN she did indeed manage to buy what she wanted and left the store. They are still looking for her.

29. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

What?!? No one - customers or employees - tackled her and held her for the police or at least snapped her picture with their cell phones? That's insane.

30. FiveRinger

They probably couldn't get close to her. But, that would have been a sight to be behold.