Bizarrely titled Reuters article on Davis & White

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by Sylvia, Mar 9, 2013.

1. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

2. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

The article itself is strange - why drag up the Plushenko stuff which has absolutely no relevance here? Sometimes the people who write the story don't write the headline, and that dreadful headline could've been penned by someone who just breezed over the story and thought shock value would attracted readers. Probably did in this case. But a lot of folks don't even read an entire story anyway, and to get to the nice parts about D/W, you have to scroll on down. Weird. All media have an agenda. What's theirs I wonder?
  3. Iceman

Iceman Well-Known Member

Yes that is a bizarre title: To me it makes it sound like they might have a tantrum in the future if history repeats itself, but the whole article was devoted to explaining that that was not their nature.

DEF. to postpone acting on someone or something. I know he keeps pestering you for an answer, but we'll just have to put him on ice until we have more facts to go on. Let's put this project on ice till we find out how well it's financed.
  4. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Stupid article. Even though I understand the reference to Plushenko about how taking a tantrum and having your fans on board to cry "he's the real winner". I see the writer drawing up a bit of a parallel with D/W whose fans felt they were robbed of gold at last year's worlds, using the fact that people came up to them after the comp and said that they should have won. Then goes on to say that judging by the standing ovation, W/D should have won and that the judges were blind and deaf. Man, way to try and stir the pot. Kudos to Charlie for not really taking the bait. I like that he commented about them "not being able to pull off a Plushenko attitude" and then laughing after giving his answer.

Unlike the dumb writer, these two seem to have their heads on straight and their focus on the right thing -- doing what they do on the ice.
  5. AYS

AYS Cruder than you thought

What an asinine slant for an article.
  6. Sylvia

Sylvia Whee, summer club comps!

That was Meryl. :)

I don't think this journalist covers figure skating much (and it shows). Here's her article on the Worlds free dance in Nice last year: http://in.reuters.com/article/2012/03/29/figure-skating-world-idINDEE82S0K220120329
  7. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Bizarre indeed. These top two teams must be really tired of these kinds of noise around them:( Why can't rivalries be great just as they are without any ridiculous press?
  8. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I thought it was one of the worst parts - essentially like they're backing up her criticism of Plushenko, which was rather nastily phrased (I'm also not sure how exactly his behavior worked out for him, I don't recall a second gold being awarded). I don't recall any of the men's skaters, even the ones who had a real stake in that event, making these sort of comments.

I posted in the D/W thread after reading the article, because I think it does them an enormous disservice. For one thing, she makes them sound smugly superior - oh no, we're not like those other whiny skaters - which is unappealing. Also, the angle she chose to play up makes the judging seem arbitrary, unprofessional or corrupt (take your pick), which cheapens whatever they do accomplish. I also found it interesting that she went on about the supposed wuzrobbing that so perplexed the audience at Worlds, considering we saw how people in attendance at Nice reacted when a result really offended them, and it didn't happen in the dance event. Even as a non-fan, I think there are enough positives to bring up re D/W and the challenges they have faced in the past year, rather than framing it like this.

I hadn't realized this was the same journalist who wrote the Chan article about China that got him in trouble last season, but I'm not surprised. At least D/W were able to avoid something truly damaging.
    Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  9. reese

reese Well-Known Member

I think press is a big part of sports rivalries, even though this article is pretty silly.

I'm at least glad both teams have dialed back the "we're best friends" stuff.
  10. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Wouldn't it be vastly more entertaining if they did something like that old Yags & Plush rivalry fluff, with them staring pensively at the snow from the windows of abandoned buildings, while proclaiming that they kind of hate each other :watch:
  11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

This article is just terrible. "Every man, woman and squealing child sitting inside Nice's Acropolis Arena last March had thought the Americans eclipsed [Virtue and Moir]". Really? REALLY? Everyone? It sounds like the writer is the one who wishes they had won, and is projecting that onto her interpretation of the event.

And the headline is completely misleading. It sounds like D&W wanted to have a tantrum over the results, and decided instead to go out and skate like hell to prove that they should have won. Which is not at all what the actual D&W quotes say.

Might be time to find the emails of the writer and the person named as the editor, and let them know what crappy work this is.

ETA: the writer: pritha.sarkar@thomsonreuters.com
    the editor: frank.pingue@thomsonreuters.com
    Editor is also on Twitter as @frankpingue
    Last edited: Mar 9, 2013
  12. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Bringing up plushenko is dumb because that was 2010 olympics and the crowd was not involved like in nice 2012 with Davis and white. Better wobbly than worthless. Plushenko did better in Vancouver then Torino because there he doubled a jump. Imagine if plushenko had doubled a jump In Vancouver! So by doing what you set Out to do and what you did all season plushenko was better in vancover than Torino. No doubled jump. No jump errors like that. Davis and white and virtue and moir are so even but plushenko was so superior to everyone else in the top 10 in Vancouver with 2 quad triples. So even are d/w and v/m and totally superior to everyone else was plushenko.
  13. overedge

In fact, he was so superior that he placed second :p
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  14. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

I just want to say that while the Reuter's article was bizarrely titled, that THIS THREAD TITLE is awesome! :lol:
  15. Holley Calmes

Ah yes....it begins. I was waiting to see how long it would be until a Plushenko uber turned the discussion from David and White to Plushenko and how he should have won in Vancouver. Only 11 responses after the first posting! Wish I had placed a bet with someone. Let's don't start that PLEASE!!!
  16. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

17. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

Vancouver is irrelevant because the real match up was in SLC and King Yagudin came out on top!

Wheeee! SLC rehash coupled with Plushenko vs Yagudin :argue: Much more interesting than zzzzz Vancouver. ;)

:rofl: at the article! I wish the writer had bothered to get some :watch: quotes from Scott. It would have taken everything to the next level. "We train with each other but...we kind of hate each other." :lol: Oh well, maybe next time.
  18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Can I get a non-partisan opinion on the 2012 Worlds results? Did V/M deserve to win? I don't follow dance much but like both teams generally.
  19. Cloudy_Gumdrops

Cloudy_Gumdrops New Member

I don't like either team. That said, I felt V&M were the clear winners. They're just in a different class when it comes to things like polish, lines, posture, etc. People can spout off about them being equals all they want, but I refuse to drink that kool-aid.
    cris, alilou, aka_gerbil and 4 others like this.
  20. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

21. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

For those with access to the archives, here is the Worlds 2012 aftermath thread. People seem rather underwhelmed by both FDs. :lol:
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  22. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

Davis/White had the more crowd-pleasing routine, Virtue/Moir were the better skaters (even if their dance was a bit twee).
  23. Holley Calmes

I'll drink the Kool Aid. I like D/W best although I admire both. V/M kind of bore me most of the time, and I really don't like their Carmen program. I think I've seen the ballet too often which has a lot more depth and REAL passion and depth of artistry for me to think much of V/M's effort. I keep hearing they're so fabulous with this skate, but there are many other of their skates I like better. To me, Tessa is just not Carmen in any way. She's beautiful, wonderful.....but so entirely different from a Carmen persona to me. But that's just me. I love D/W's joie de vivre and Charlie precious face and energy and zest. Scott is just as handsome, but in a different way. In fact, he's gorgeous. Tessa is a delicate beauty and very, very lovely but in no way can she scare up a Latina character. But anyway - how lucky are we to have 2 such lovely teams to watch? I confess to not knowing a lot of skating technique and that might obliterate my opinion in many minds here on FSU. Like I care. However, I do represent a very large viewership who don't know technique but who love skating. Both teams are wonderful. I prefer D/W but they're both worthy of anyone's admiration.
  24. The Accordion

The Accordion Well-Known Member

I loathe it any time someone thinks they can speak on behalf of every person in an audience.
  25. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I thought it was a good article. Davis and White are very sportsmanlike, and I think this article tells an important story about the "was robbed" politics and rhetoric that some skaters have played to have extraordinary influence. Skate Canada and the North American media played the "was robbed" song so loudly in 2002 that it generated twenty four hour new coverage even before the unstable French judge was interrogated and had a nervous breakdown. I think Davis and White have a uniquely zen attitude about final results, and this has helped them.
  26. overedge

But as you say, Davis & White generally don't get involved in the wuzrobbed stuff. So why does of any of that belong in a story about them? Especially with an example that has nothing to do with them, unless I missed when they competed in the 2010 Olympic men's event.

Wow, first we have the "Plushy was robbed" argument, and now we have the "2002 pairs results were OK until Skate Canada and the NA media started bitching about them" argument. What next? "Madge Syers could have kicked every man's competitive ass in 1903 and that was why the ISU politicked women competitors out of worlds"? :rolleyes:
  27. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

It's not that big of a leap of imagination or outrageous to compare two recent contested losses, especially when you are doing it to highlight attributes of the subject of the article.
  28. overedge

D&W's loss at worlds has very little similarity to Plushenko's loss at the Olys, so there is no reason to choose that particular example for contrast.

And speaking of Plushenko - caseyedwards, is this you?
    http://www.reuters.com/article/comments/idUSBRE92801N20130309
  29. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

What would be an example of a memorable contested loss that would meet your criteria as similar enough?

The point of the article is still valid. One misses the forest for the trees by complaining about Plushenko's loss not being the perfect comparison. It's rhetorical/literary not historical analysis. You are entitled based on your in depth knowledge of skating to think it's not relevant, but the article isn't about 2012 worlds or what happened. It's about Davis and White's perseverance after a skating loss that some observers thought was wrong. Sometimes to communicate this to the public you use symbols and stories they are familiar with; to make the point that David and White have remained friendly and respectful of their rivals the Plushenko contrast is interesting.
  30. overedge

D&W's loss wasn't a controversially contested loss, except maybe in the writer's mind, so there isn't any need to make the comparison in the first place.
    And since the article is about D&W's appearance at Fake London Worlds and their reputation/performance leading up to it, actually, yes, it is a historical analysis.
  31. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

The first paragraph is extremely stupid, with reference to Plushenko. Did this writer even watch Plushenko's performance at the 2010 Olympics? It was anything but "wobbly". The only mistake he had was a turnout on the landing of a 3A. He did not throw tantrums and certainly not to get his fans on his side. I was on his side, based on what he did on the ice. I am shocked that Davis made a reference to Plushenko, however. That was stupid. Even though D&W are my favorites, that comment makes them go down in my mind.

However, the stupidest thing about the article is its title.

ETA: (Although no relevance to D&W) the only skaters that have thrown a hissy fit and tantrums are 1) Surya Bonaly, and 2) S&P. In the latter case they were successful to getting the results of the competition changed. Plushenko did nothing of the sort.
  32. shan

shan Well-Known Member

Do you think she brought up Plushenko? I'm sure she was asked about him.
  33. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

The quote is from the article, and it does not say if she was asked about him.

"I don't know we could have pulled off Plushenko's attitude," Davis told Reuters in a telephone interview before dissolving into laughter. "It seems to work for him."
  34. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Thanks for linking the archived thread, Cherub721. After having given it a cursory read (the first few pages) I didn't find much :argue: by FSU standards.
  35. mollymgr

mollymgr Well-Known Member

It is implied that the writer was the one who brought this up from the first three sentences of the article.
  36. bonmil

bonmil New Member

"ETA: (Although no relevance to D&W) the only skaters that have thrown a hissy fit and tantrums are 1) Surya Bonaly, and 2) S&P. In the latter case they were successful to getting the results of the competition changed. Plushenko did nothing of the sort."

S&P didn't throw a hissy fit...that was the press.
    alilou and (deleted member) like this.
  37. Asli

Asli Well-Known Member

The article claims that White said "In our minds we were champions because of the way we skated," and that Davis said "A great number of people came up to us and complimented us on our skate at the worlds and told us they thought that we deserved to win."

If that is true, it is no less and no more than what Plushenko said after the olympics. This is not throwing a tantrum or whining, but it shows that they were disappointed with the result, probably like most second-placed competitors.
  38. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I kinda thought his rudely standing on the top of the podium when he came out for the medal ceremony was a tad tantrumish...:drama::shuffle:
  39. overedge

But I bet D&W didn't put a platinum medal on their own website.
  40. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

S&P were pretty well behaved, but the American press and all the Canadian skating establishment colluded to turn it into a "was robbed" story. Did you see Tracy Wilson running out to congratulate Jamie Sale? As Jamie stood there with her sweaty arm pits, Tracy exclaimed almost defiantly, "You did it!" The camera/audio cuts away so we don't see more of this Canadian-to-Canadian talk, but if you have ever heard or read Canadians appraising their own, you would know that all of the Canadian skaters and officials were not just heartbroken but outraged by the result. The Canadian coaches and officials had had enough of losing again and again and again (and yet again) throughout the years. With the American media in their pockets (the scandal was a ratings boon), they could complain to their hearts' content. Sale and Pelletier were remarkably poised and realistic about it all, and I think it did ultimately help them to get a fair hearing from the ISU/IOC. Had they behaved like many of the clamoring old Canadians, there might have been some animosity against them for complaining, particularly in Russia. As it turns out, keeping it classy is a winning strategy even when you lose.