Bit of a rant re my sister organising afternoon tea

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Aussie Willy, Apr 19, 2010.

1. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I just went to Kohl's tonight, spent $135. and bought 2 pair of pants, 1 pair of capris, 6 shirts for me, 3 shirts for son, 3 pair of shorts for son, socks for both of us, and some misc. other stuff (candles). That's 2 high teas and ZERO calories! :lol:

A few weeks ago, I went to TGIF with some friends. I wound up putting $50 in for an appetizer (which everyone snagged), a $12 main dish, a soda, and a piece of cake.

Frankly, I'd rather go shopping. AW - meet them for a drink somewhere that's not high tea! :summer:

2. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

After all the tea talk, I looked up "high tea" services in Reno....the most expensive is $30 a person, and the menu reads like a full dinner.

(still shocked that there is something as classy as tea houses here.....)

3. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

I'll be joining you guys.

4. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

Can't you just drink some Lipton's while smoking a joint? :p

Auntie, taf2002, pollyanna and 9 others like this.
  5. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

:rofl: I spit tea on my computer.

6. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

while smoking weed? :slinkaway

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  7. rfisher

rfisher Satisfied skating fan

:sekret:

8. mag

mag Well-Known Member

Well I'm sure no one would actually inhale, right? ;)

9. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

You might be surprised. There are at least three places here that do teas. And two of the three are run by actual Brits, who like to tell you how to make proper tea and not that dreadful tea bag stuff.

I think $40 per person is the top of the line here, but that is for a private party in a restored Victorian mansion with a custom menu. You can get a really nice tea for about $10 per person. None of them have alcohol, though.

10. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I looked up high tea in Omaha, and there are three tea houses, one by appointment only. I'm gonna guess that one does high tea? Numbers and I can find out this summer. :sekret:

11. Prancer

The Victorian house is appointment only; another one requires reservations because of their very limited seating and does not allow children under 10. But all them do high tea, because otherwise, how would they survive? Americans may drink enough coffee to support coffeehouses, but tea is our redheaded stepchild beverage. Ask anyone who has ever gotten a tea bag in lukewarm water.

The $10 here does a plate of finger sandwiches, two types of scones with Devonshire cream and strawberries, something else I've forgotten and your choice of cakes. There's a $30 one that has a huge menu; I've never been there, but just looking at the menu for this month, I sincerely hope that those sandwiches are tiny. And all three that I know of have either an import selection or gift shop, too. The Victorian one has very fancy hats you can wear for your tea and encourages costumes :lol:.

12. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

:drama: I have a significant hat collection, thank you. I don't need to borrow one, like some common plebe. :drama:

13. Prancer

May you go to tea on the same day as the Red Hat Society and be mocked for your plebian tastes.

You can look for tearooms here: http://www.teaguide.net/

Things don't look too promising for a fancy tea in Omaha. :shuffle:

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  14. slicekw

slicekw #FixingTheInternet

I've got a teahouse across the street. The Zen Tea Service is a great meal deal. They also have an amazing selection of teas.

15. allezfred

allezfred Old and Immature Admin Staff Member

Excuse me, it an indulgent dessert buffet! :drama:

Prancer, the Victorian tea room with hats and costumes sounds hideous. :scream:

16. JJH

JJH Well-Known Member

I think costumes for a school reunion tea is perfect. I'm coming as the Red Queen and there may be a certain amount of shouting "Off with their heads". Absolutely worth $70.

Just remember that you can't eat any food you've been introduced to.

17. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

I looked up the Mayflower since I'll be in DC for a week in June--to my surprise several other options for afternoon tea came up. (Still cringing. If I went to 'high tea' I'd expect heavy sandwiches and tea in mugs.) Their royal tea (w/champagne service) is now in the 40-odd range, and the prices at other hotels seem comparable. There are also tons of tea cafes, besides Teaism, which I remember being there. I'm tempted to try the Willard, since I've never been there.

18. Prancer

It's very popular for little girls' birthday parties and meetings of the Red Hat Society, and I believe there are some Victorian societies around here that like to put on their bustles and have a do.

But the food is very good and if you want something quiet and private, well, it's just you because she only takes one party at a time. You can sit out in the garden, which is gorgeous in the summer, and sip your tea and eat your strawberries and cream, and wave away the hornets, and all seems right with the world.

19. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I think that sounds wonderful! I would totally go there :lol:

20. numbers123

never mind

Last edited: Apr 22, 2010
  21. numbers123

one of those is supposed to be near me.

22. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE