Billy Ray Cyrus blames "Hannah Montana" show for family troubles

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by deltask8er, Feb 15, 2011.

1. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

He isn't and he is.....
    (from Wikipedia)
    IIRC he's also good friends with Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Lisa Marie Presley, and Kirstie Alley.

2. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Everyone I know who has worked in show business doesn't have anything nice to say about the way kids are treated in the industry. The parents of the little boy who played Mikey in "Look Who's Talking Too" said they would never put their kid in another movie and they haven't. They said the only thing that saved the experience from being a total disaster was John Travolta who is a decent and kind human being. What they had to say about Kirstie Alley cannot be repeated in a family-friendly forum.

Another mother whose children worked on The Scarlett Letter said that it's fun for the kids if they're extras, but the pressure on the kids who are stars is enormous. Unfortunately there are so many parents out there who want their kids to be stars that there will be no shortage of kids to take the jobs available.

There is a documentary made by the kid who played Bud on Father Knows Best wherein he got a whole group of former child stars together to talk about how they were affected by being in show business. Every parent who is even considering putting their child into movies or TV should be forced to view it. They also need to consider the list of former child stars who didn't live to see the age of 40 and how they died. Drug overdose and/or suicide is high on the list of "cause of death".

Of course, such parents want to cite as examples the success stories: Ron and Clint Howard, Jodie Foster, Brooke Shields and while these are very successful former child stars, Jodie Foster and Brooke Shields have both told some very harrowing stories about their lives as child actresses and dealing with the public fallout of playing child prostitutes while being seriously underaged for such mature roles.

Any time there are millions of dollars at stake, the pressures are enormous on everyone involved. If there are problems, there is no way to shield children from that kind of tension. Anyone who works within the business should know that, but given the reverence for "family" espoused by Disney, I suppose I can see a certain level of trust until you remember that Uncle Walt has been dead for years. No one actually named "Disney" is in charge anymore. So in that respect Disney is just another multi-national, entertainment conglomerate no more or less deserving of such trust as Sony or Time/Warner.

3. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

He has no one to blame but he and his wife.They are the parents,she is the child.Now,he'll just have to live with it and try to influence her to make better decisions,because now she is an adult and she can do what she wants. I don't see her as being at the Lohan stage yet,but if she doesn't wise up,she could go that route.As to Hannah Montana...can't stand it,never have been able to,would not let my kids watch it and some of my friends who have daughters,wouldn't let them watch it either.It was not appropriate for little girls IMO.And little 5 year olds don't need to be dressing like 17-18 yr old Miley Cyrus and they were,unfortunately she is "looked up" to by these little kids.And that's not good.

4. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I remember seeing the E! True Hollywood Story (before they started covering reality stars) about the youngest daughter on Father Knows Best. She was very candid about the money issues and how she lost everything. She also spoke at length about how she even worked as a prostitute after the show was over and there was no money coming in any longer.

5. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I despise the Family Smith, especially those obnoxious little offshoots. After seeing them all on Oprah, I wanted to firebomb the stage. Talk about bratty and entitled!

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  6. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

Now now, James. They're not bratty and entitled, they're precocious.

7. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

ITA. And turning their kids into little entertainment industries/paychecks seems to be their part time job now. After all, they won't be marketable themselves forever. I call it the "Billy Ray Cyrus Fame Insurance Plan"--if you can't get the big jobs anymore, sell your kids so you can stay in the spotlight. It may not be the case for Will, but I think it's starting to be the case for Jada.

Also...who names their kids after themselves that way? Seriously.

8. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I HATE the "I Whip Mah Hayah" song. If it comes on, the radio goes off instantly and my kids have learned to not argue! I can't stand the endless loops of that soundbite in the song.

Um, George Foreman? *runs away*

9. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Jaden made $60 million from the Karate Kid movie. Seriously, how could he not be a brat?

10. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Damn it, Florida! (throws down hat), them kids is BAD! Hell, you don't see Thelma and Michael doin' that shit! Why you always gotta look on the bright side of EVERYTHANG?? :rolleyes:
    Jada has a VERY shady background, VERY. I cannot stand her. She's lucky she got her a Will Smith.

Ugh, I CANNOT STAND that song!

I guess most child stars have to be that way, then...

11. GaPeach

GaPeach New Member

I don't know about her background, but she doesn't look healthy to me like someone involve in drugs.

12. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I used to LOVE Will Smith, mainly because he's really very smart, doesn't put up with other blacks who think it's fine that they use bad grammar and english skills, and is very driven himself. But when he started doing bad movie after bad movie, and then pushing the kids in the limelight, I decided I was done.

13. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:sekret: sez she dealt that shit when she lived in Baltimore. I've heard this from too many different sources to dismiss it as gossip. I can't stand drug dealers.

He grew up in my mom's old neighborhood and a lot of people loved him because initially, he kept it real but still knew how to play the game in Hollywood. But yeah, like so many other actors who start out so strong, he became more interested in a paycheck than putting out real quality work.

14. calica

calica Active Member

:confused::confused: Apart of "Ali" what good film he has?

Bad boys? MIB? Indenpence day? Wild wild west?

15. Rhianna

Rhianna ...Her?

Excuse me, Independence Day is a great movie. It may not be the best movie ever made but it's certainly enjoyable.

16. Andrushka

Andrushka Well-Known Member

I still like Will Smith.As far as kids earning millions making them instant brats...don't quite buy that.That's up to their parents.If their parents allow them to behave like brats,they will become brats.If their parents make them get off their little behinds and do their chores like every other kid should be doing...well...they can atleast say they did what parents are supposed to be doing.(not doing everything for their kids,instilling a strong work ethic in them,teaching them to do everyday things for themselves, etc...)

17. Southpaw

I enjoyed Independence Day. And Six Degrees of Separation, didn't he win an award for that?

18. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I happen to think that I, Robot, The Pursuit of Happyness, and especially I Am Legend all qualify as good films, especially the last two. And most of them were good films because of Will Smith. He was nominated for an Academy for The Pursuit of Happyness as well as Ali. He's made some bombs but he's a very good actor.

19. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

:huh: have you watched the show? I am very careful about what my kids watch, and they watched Hannah Montana. It is a very kid and family friendly show. Miley Cyrus is not Hannah Montana, and vice versa. I also don't allow my children to dress like Ho's but they do have Hannah Montana clothes and music. My children do not read gossip magazines, they do not watch tabloid tv, and they do not go to Perez Hilton, or tmz websites. They have no idea that there has ever been controversy surrounding Miley, they know her as Hannah Montana.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  20. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I liked The Pursuit of Happyness, but thought he was woefully miscast as Ali.

21. GaPeach

GaPeach New Member

Greatest movie ever because Jeff Goldblum is in it!:swoon:

22. Southpaw

But...but....Ali said Will was the only actor pretty enough to play him.

23. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

nevermind - wrong thread

24. AxelAnnie

AxelAnnie Well-Known Member

The problem I have with the entire thing is this: The Cyrus family was making a fortune from the Disney name and image. Show a little respect. Would it have been so hard?

25. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Well I dated a guy who named both his kids after himself. :shuffle:

26. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I think everyone is more interested in paycheck. Some people do combine paychecks with other things, but it is very hard to turn down that much money.

27. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

I still blame his mullett and hit song "Achy Breaky Heart" for the family problems.

GaPeach and (deleted member) like this.
  28. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Didn't you know that it is your television's responsibility and the responsibility of celebs to parent your children? :p

Kidding aside your post makes me want to clap. I cannot stand when parents blame Paris Hilton, Britney Spears etc..for decisions their children make. Kids cannot even be kids anymore. I go to a pretty expensive salon to get my hair done and cannot believe the amount of tweens who get highlights and manicures all while carrying their Coach bags. It's like their parents cannot wait for them to grow up but as soon as they get in trouble for their ho outfit at school, Britney Spears gets blamed LOL.

29. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Men in Black was a great, great film - and I looooove both I Am Legend and Hancock :shuffle:

30. Civic

Civic New Member

Details, man details!

Edited to add: Oops! I should have finished reading this thread.

Last edited: Feb 22, 2011