Billy Ray Cyrus blames "Hannah Montana" show for family troubles

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by deltask8er, Feb 15, 2011.

1. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

I don't know where her birthday party was, but in California she couldn't legally have had it in a bar.

I think that there very likely is more. I doubt her father is just worried about a little drinking and getting stoned on one occasion.

I don't think Hannah Montana is the only reason the Cyrus family has problems, but I would not be surprised if it were a factor. Teenage stars aren't treated the same as other teens and don't get to develop the same way as others do. But, there's also bad parenting, which could include their decisions about Miley and her career. I also have the impression that her parents have pretty much been giving her free reign for several years. A lot of parents would not have been okay with their high school daughter dating a guy who already was of drinking age. I get the impression that the parents realized a while ago that they had made a mistake putting Miley in the public eye and entertainment business. I heard somewhere that they decided that they didn't want to let her younger sister do the same thing.

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

I think he was doing okay as a song writer. Except for the huge superstars that's where the money is.

3. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Billy Ray has been doing okay at a lot of things. As rich as Miley is, Billy Ray is a whole lot richer and was before Hannah Montana came along.

4. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Seriously? I know he did really well for himself but he was kind of a flash in the pan until Miley came along. I would think she has made way more money than he has, partly because she made her money more recently therefore inflation comes into play but I don't remember him having all the commercial opportunities she has had. I am not doubting you, just surprised by that.

ETA: I see the comment above about song writing and that does indeed make a good amount of money.

5. Prancer

Billy Ray still performs and while he isn't well-known outside of country music, he's had a strong career in country and has had much more than one hit on those charts.

He's also had an acting career that predates Miley's: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0004854/ I still remember being :eek: when I recognized him in Mulholland Drive.

And he's made some smart investments; he's always had his money taken care of. He has a lot of friends in show business; he's always been well advised.

6. brina

brina Well-Known Member

I personally believe that all along, it has been the career plan for Miley to break out of the Disney shell. The controversial photos "stolen" from her phone, her smoking saliva, etc. In the end, trainwreck or not, Miley will have dodged the bullet of being stuck in the Disney-star typecast. Remember Hillary Duff? Since she lost her show, she's done all sorts of things to try to get a more mature look, but by then it was too late because she was out of the spotlight. Team Miley has been careful to start the controversy while she was still a Disney star, but of course it has been played off as mistakes due to her being a minor until recently.

7. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I think that when your family situation is out of control, you want to blame something or someone else for your troubles. And when you realize that your baby is an adult now and you don't have any control or influence it makes it even worse.

8. UGG

UGG Well-Known Member

Well the good thing is that he seems to be taking some type of responsibility. And I could be way off...however a lot of miley's controversial behavior seems very calculated to me as opposed to say Britney Spears who is obviously a looney toon or Lindsey Lohan who truly has a drug and alcohol addiction.

9. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

One way would be for a parent to *not* co-manage the child's career, especially when the parent has had no entertainment management experience. Yes, Miley has had professional managers as well as her mom, but parents managing children's careers never seems to work out to anyone's best interests.

10. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

It worked out pretty well for Melissa Gilbert.

11. GaPeach

GaPeach New Member

I would had thought Bret Michaels and Mama Tish affair would had caused more damage to the family than Hannah Montana.:D

12. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

battling drug and alcohol addictions?

13. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Both of which manifested after she became an adult. Have you read her book? Because I have.

14. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

Not true. As I said, I was in a bar on Thurs. where minors were allowed. I live in CA.

I believe it's okay as long as they serve food (i.e., it's attached to a restaurant). However, some bars have stricter policies than the laws allow. That's their prerogative, but it's not because it's illegal.

15. overedge

I've read it too, and I don't recall her childhood being described as particularly happy, because she was working all the time.

16. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Allison Angram (sp?) goes into what she witnessed at Gilbert's home a little in her book. It is interesting that she describes it as almost dysfunctional when she (Allison) had the life she had with her parents and brother.

I don't doubt that being a child/teenage star does mess with one's self esteem and world view. After all Miley was the center of show that would not and could not exist without her once it became successful. That can pump one's ego up quite a bit, but it also puts pressure on her (and others in similar situaitons) because they are expected to be so adult about it.

Child stars and Teen stars might have a glam outer life, but the truth is their development into adulthood is stunted in some major ways. No matter how much the parents say they are giving their child or children a normal life, there is nothing normal about it. So the blame to me always comes back to the parents.

Miley probably did have early desires to be in television/movies/music after seeing her father's career. However, to me, it comes down to whether or not it is healthy to give in to a child's whims in such matters. I know many celebrities have prevented or disuaded their children from entering the business until they are old enough to fully or at least significantly understand the consequences. While I'm not a parent, I would think that the delay of such a career would be my preference.

17. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Not to take away from fame being really hard on kids...but it is the family that keeps them grounded in real life. He point blank said he was more a friend than a father to her. To me that spelled out the reality of that home.

I don't think that mindset mattered whether Miley was Hannah Montana or not. You have that view while they grow up, your child with have issues when they are older. The only difference is she is famous with a lot of money.

18. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Do you have any thoughts on improvements to the industry standards given that fact that shows and movies would be looking for younger kids whether parents delayed the career or not?

19. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

They can't just serve food. You don't make it legal for under 21s to be in a bar just because you have pub food. It has to be a restaurant that happens to have a bar and Miley was in a bar/club, not some restaurant that happens to serve alcohol. I have no doubt that there are plenty of clubs and bars that skirt the law, though, especially if they get a rich celebrity coming in. I remember reading that Drew Barrymore was drinking (and doing drugs) in clubs at an incredibly young age.

But, in any event, it sounds like having her party in a bar is the least of his concerns. He seems to think that she's doing dangerous things. He's concerned about her "handlers," but I'd bet that he orginally had something to do with those handlers being around her.

20. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I'm not totally against a child being in a spotlight. I just think that there are very few who can handle being the "name" in the show. If a child is a supporting character in a show then the pressure doesn't seem to be as big on them. I would think it is easier to keep a child grounded when he or she has a few lines in the show vs. being in every single scene.

I also think that it has a lot to do with parental involvement (not management but being there for the child). If you look at the example of the Cosby show. Bill Cosby was pretty insistent that the children's parents be on set as much as possible and pushed that their education came first. Much of that could have been for show, but one would note that the only one who seemed to struggle at all was Lisa Bonet, who was the one without the parent on the set. Additionally, none of the "kids" carried the show. It wasn't named the Theo Show or Vanessa.

The working conditions for children on these shows are monitored, but maybe it should be addressed again. I realize that there will always be a need for child and teen actors and actresses, as roles will demand that bit of realism.

In Miley's case I think it goes beyond just a television show. While she was doing that, being tutored for school, growing up, and all those other things, she was filming movies, recording albums, touring, working on an autobiography, promoting products, giving media interviews, etc. So it wasn't just that she was on a television show. Her work load would have been over exposure for anyone. Her parents seemed to be raising a product rather than a daughter.

mpal2 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Awwww, poor Billy. Somebody call a wahh-mbulance. How ‘bout those photos you had taken with your daughter...creepy? You betcha!

22. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

He's got an achy breaky heart for real now.

Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  23. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

Ok, so this is just :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If Hanah Montana has done Miley Cyrus harm, just stop and think about the future of Angus Jones. :yikes::yikes::yikes: Here's a kid that lives in California, is drinking the Hollywood child-star kool-aid, works with Charlie Sheen everyday (can you guess what Charlie's sense of humor is like?), and just reading the scripts for the show Two and a Half Men has to be an education in itself. Can anyone say therapy? I certainly hope he has a good supportive family life and that his parents are not more his "friends".

24. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

25. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

I thought Miley must have been up to worse based on the thread title. It sounds pretty tame by showbiz standards. Smoking a legal herb? Hanging out in a bar?

deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  26. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I wonder if Will Smith and Jada Pinkett are following this story????

27. overedge

If Jaden or Willow get out of hand, I'm guessing Will and Jada will send them for some Scientology auditing and clearing to set them right....

28. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

*shudder* It's sad they got sucked in to that. You'd think they'd have paid attention when Paul Haggis left $cientology.

29. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Will Smith is not a Scientologist. O_O My heart just broke.

30. Prancer

I can just see it now--Jada says "Go" and Willow whips her hair back and forth, whips her hair back and forth.......

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.