Billy Ray Cyrus blames "Hannah Montana" show for family troubles

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by deltask8er, Feb 15, 2011.

1. GaPeach

GaPeach New Member

I would had thought Bret Michaels and Mama Tish affair would had caused more damage to the family than Hannah Montana.:D
  2. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

battling drug and alcohol addictions?
  3. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Both of which manifested after she became an adult. Have you read her book? Because I have.
  4. MacMadame

MacMadame Internet Beyotch

Not true. As I said, I was in a bar on Thurs. where minors were allowed. I live in CA.

I believe it's okay as long as they serve food (i.e., it's attached to a restaurant). However, some bars have stricter policies than the laws allow. That's their prerogative, but it's not because it's illegal.
  5. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

I've read it too, and I don't recall her childhood being described as particularly happy, because she was working all the time.
  6. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

Allison Angram (sp?) goes into what she witnessed at Gilbert's home a little in her book. It is interesting that she describes it as almost dysfunctional when she (Allison) had the life she had with her parents and brother.

I don't doubt that being a child/teenage star does mess with one's self esteem and world view. After all Miley was the center of show that would not and could not exist without her once it became successful. That can pump one's ego up quite a bit, but it also puts pressure on her (and others in similar situaitons) because they are expected to be so adult about it.

Child stars and Teen stars might have a glam outer life, but the truth is their development into adulthood is stunted in some major ways. No matter how much the parents say they are giving their child or children a normal life, there is nothing normal about it. So the blame to me always comes back to the parents.

Miley probably did have early desires to be in television/movies/music after seeing her father's career. However, to me, it comes down to whether or not it is healthy to give in to a child's whims in such matters. I know many celebrities have prevented or disuaded their children from entering the business until they are old enough to fully or at least significantly understand the consequences. While I'm not a parent, I would think that the delay of such a career would be my preference.
  7. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

Not to take away from fame being really hard on kids...but it is the family that keeps them grounded in real life. He point blank said he was more a friend than a father to her. To me that spelled out the reality of that home.

I don't think that mindset mattered whether Miley was Hannah Montana or not. You have that view while they grow up, your child with have issues when they are older. The only difference is she is famous with a lot of money.
  8. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

Do you have any thoughts on improvements to the industry standards given that fact that shows and movies would be looking for younger kids whether parents delayed the career or not?
  9. Allskate

Allskate Well-Known Member

They can't just serve food. You don't make it legal for under 21s to be in a bar just because you have pub food. It has to be a restaurant that happens to have a bar and Miley was in a bar/club, not some restaurant that happens to serve alcohol. I have no doubt that there are plenty of clubs and bars that skirt the law, though, especially if they get a rich celebrity coming in. I remember reading that Drew Barrymore was drinking (and doing drugs) in clubs at an incredibly young age.

But, in any event, it sounds like having her party in a bar is the least of his concerns. He seems to think that she's doing dangerous things. He's concerned about her "handlers," but I'd bet that he orginally had something to do with those handlers being around her.
  10. ArtisticFan

I'm not totally against a child being in a spotlight. I just think that there are very few who can handle being the "name" in the show. If a child is a supporting character in a show then the pressure doesn't seem to be as big on them. I would think it is easier to keep a child grounded when he or she has a few lines in the show vs. being in every single scene.

I also think that it has a lot to do with parental involvement (not management but being there for the child). If you look at the example of the Cosby show. Bill Cosby was pretty insistent that the children's parents be on set as much as possible and pushed that their education came first. Much of that could have been for show, but one would note that the only one who seemed to struggle at all was Lisa Bonet, who was the one without the parent on the set. Additionally, none of the "kids" carried the show. It wasn't named the Theo Show or Vanessa.

The working conditions for children on these shows are monitored, but maybe it should be addressed again. I realize that there will always be a need for child and teen actors and actresses, as roles will demand that bit of realism.

In Miley's case I think it goes beyond just a television show. While she was doing that, being tutored for school, growing up, and all those other things, she was filming movies, recording albums, touring, working on an autobiography, promoting products, giving media interviews, etc. So it wasn't just that she was on a television show. Her work load would have been over exposure for anyone. Her parents seemed to be raising a product rather than a daughter.
    mpal2 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. Reuven

Reuven Official FSU Alte Kacher

Awwww, poor Billy. Somebody call a wahh-mbulance. How ‘bout those photos you had taken with your daughter...creepy? You betcha!
  12. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

He's got an achy breaky heart for real now.
    Last edited: Feb 17, 2011
  13. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

Ok, so this is just :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

If Hanah Montana has done Miley Cyrus harm, just stop and think about the future of Angus Jones. :yikes::yikes::yikes: Here's a kid that lives in California, is drinking the Hollywood child-star kool-aid, works with Charlie Sheen everyday (can you guess what Charlie's sense of humor is like?), and just reading the scripts for the show Two and a Half Men has to be an education in itself. Can anyone say therapy? I certainly hope he has a good supportive family life and that his parents are not more his "friends".
  14. deltask8er

deltask8er New Member

15. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

I thought Miley must have been up to worse based on the thread title. It sounds pretty tame by showbiz standards. Smoking a legal herb? Hanging out in a bar?
    deltask8er and (deleted member) like this.
  16. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I wonder if Will Smith and Jada Pinkett are following this story????
  17. overedge

If Jaden or Willow get out of hand, I'm guessing Will and Jada will send them for some Scientology auditing and clearing to set them right....
  18. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

*shudder* It's sad they got sucked in to that. You'd think they'd have paid attention when Paul Haggis left $cientology.
  19. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

Will Smith is not a Scientologist. O_O My heart just broke.
  20. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I can just see it now--Jada says "Go" and Willow whips her hair back and forth, whips her hair back and forth.......
    jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  21. overedge

He isn't and he is.....
    (from Wikipedia)
    IIRC he's also good friends with Tom Cruise, John Travolta, Lisa Marie Presley, and Kirstie Alley.
  22. Dragonlady

Dragonlady Well-Known Member

Everyone I know who has worked in show business doesn't have anything nice to say about the way kids are treated in the industry. The parents of the little boy who played Mikey in "Look Who's Talking Too" said they would never put their kid in another movie and they haven't. They said the only thing that saved the experience from being a total disaster was John Travolta who is a decent and kind human being. What they had to say about Kirstie Alley cannot be repeated in a family-friendly forum.

Another mother whose children worked on The Scarlett Letter said that it's fun for the kids if they're extras, but the pressure on the kids who are stars is enormous. Unfortunately there are so many parents out there who want their kids to be stars that there will be no shortage of kids to take the jobs available.

There is a documentary made by the kid who played Bud on Father Knows Best wherein he got a whole group of former child stars together to talk about how they were affected by being in show business. Every parent who is even considering putting their child into movies or TV should be forced to view it. They also need to consider the list of former child stars who didn't live to see the age of 40 and how they died. Drug overdose and/or suicide is high on the list of "cause of death".

Of course, such parents want to cite as examples the success stories: Ron and Clint Howard, Jodie Foster, Brooke Shields and while these are very successful former child stars, Jodie Foster and Brooke Shields have both told some very harrowing stories about their lives as child actresses and dealing with the public fallout of playing child prostitutes while being seriously underaged for such mature roles.

Any time there are millions of dollars at stake, the pressures are enormous on everyone involved. If there are problems, there is no way to shield children from that kind of tension. Anyone who works within the business should know that, but given the reverence for "family" espoused by Disney, I suppose I can see a certain level of trust until you remember that Uncle Walt has been dead for years. No one actually named "Disney" is in charge anymore. So in that respect Disney is just another multi-national, entertainment conglomerate no more or less deserving of such trust as Sony or Time/Warner.
  23. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

He has no one to blame but he and his wife.They are the parents,she is the child.Now,he'll just have to live with it and try to influence her to make better decisions,because now she is an adult and she can do what she wants. I don't see her as being at the Lohan stage yet,but if she doesn't wise up,she could go that route.As to Hannah Montana...can't stand it,never have been able to,would not let my kids watch it and some of my friends who have daughters,wouldn't let them watch it either.It was not appropriate for little girls IMO.And little 5 year olds don't need to be dressing like 17-18 yr old Miley Cyrus and they were,unfortunately she is "looked up" to by these little kids.And that's not good.
  24. ArtisticFan

I remember seeing the E! True Hollywood Story (before they started covering reality stars) about the youngest daughter on Father Knows Best. She was very candid about the money issues and how she lost everything. She also spoke at length about how she even worked as a prostitute after the show was over and there was no money coming in any longer.
  25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I despise the Family Smith, especially those obnoxious little offshoots. After seeing them all on Oprah, I wanted to firebomb the stage. Talk about bratty and entitled!
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  26. Southpaw

Now now, James. They're not bratty and entitled, they're precocious.
  27. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

ITA. And turning their kids into little entertainment industries/paychecks seems to be their part time job now. After all, they won't be marketable themselves forever. I call it the "Billy Ray Cyrus Fame Insurance Plan"--if you can't get the big jobs anymore, sell your kids so you can stay in the spotlight. It may not be the case for Will, but I think it's starting to be the case for Jada.

Also...who names their kids after themselves that way? Seriously.
  28. FigureSpins

FigureSpins New Member

I HATE the "I Whip Mah Hayah" song. If it comes on, the radio goes off instantly and my kids have learned to not argue! I can't stand the endless loops of that soundbite in the song.

Um, George Foreman? *runs away*
  29. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Jaden made $60 million from the Karate Kid movie. Seriously, how could he not be a brat?
  30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Damn it, Florida! (throws down hat), them kids is BAD! Hell, you don't see Thelma and Michael doin' that shit! Why you always gotta look on the bright side of EVERYTHANG?? :rolleyes:
    Jada has a VERY shady background, VERY. I cannot stand her. She's lucky she got her a Will Smith.

Ugh, I CANNOT STAND that song!

I guess most child stars have to be that way, then...
  31. GaPeach

GaPeach New Member

I don't know about her background, but she doesn't look healthy to me like someone involve in drugs.
  32. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

I used to LOVE Will Smith, mainly because he's really very smart, doesn't put up with other blacks who think it's fine that they use bad grammar and english skills, and is very driven himself. But when he started doing bad movie after bad movie, and then pushing the kids in the limelight, I decided I was done.
  33. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:sekret: sez she dealt that shit when she lived in Baltimore. I've heard this from too many different sources to dismiss it as gossip. I can't stand drug dealers.

He grew up in my mom's old neighborhood and a lot of people loved him because initially, he kept it real but still knew how to play the game in Hollywood. But yeah, like so many other actors who start out so strong, he became more interested in a paycheck than putting out real quality work.
  34. calica

calica Active Member

:confused::confused: Apart of "Ali" what good film he has?

Bad boys? MIB? Indenpence day? Wild wild west?
  35. Rhianna

Rhianna ...Her?

Excuse me, Independence Day is a great movie. It may not be the best movie ever made but it's certainly enjoyable.
  36. Andrushka

Andrushka New Member

I still like Will Smith.As far as kids earning millions making them instant brats...don't quite buy that.That's up to their parents.If their parents allow them to behave like brats,they will become brats.If their parents make them get off their little behinds and do their chores like every other kid should be doing...well...they can atleast say they did what parents are supposed to be doing.(not doing everything for their kids,instilling a strong work ethic in them,teaching them to do everyday things for themselves, etc...)
  37. Southpaw

I enjoyed Independence Day. And Six Degrees of Separation, didn't he win an award for that?
  38. michiruwater

michiruwater Well-Known Member

I happen to think that I, Robot, The Pursuit of Happyness, and especially I Am Legend all qualify as good films, especially the last two. And most of them were good films because of Will Smith. He was nominated for an Academy for The Pursuit of Happyness as well as Ali. He's made some bombs but he's a very good actor.
  39. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

:huh: have you watched the show? I am very careful about what my kids watch, and they watched Hannah Montana. It is a very kid and family friendly show. Miley Cyrus is not Hannah Montana, and vice versa. I also don't allow my children to dress like Ho's but they do have Hannah Montana clothes and music. My children do not read gossip magazines, they do not watch tabloid tv, and they do not go to Perez Hilton, or tmz websites. They have no idea that there has ever been controversy surrounding Miley, they know her as Hannah Montana.
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  40. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I liked The Pursuit of Happyness, but thought he was woefully miscast as Ali.