Billy Ray Cyrus blames "Hannah Montana" show for family troubles

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by deltask8er, Feb 15, 2011.

1. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

http://www.nypost.com/p/pagesix/miley_dad_regrets_hannah_eaD8G2RwZpK4bWC630RE0H#ixzz1E12fKXo6

GQ interview

http://www.gq.com/entertainment/celebrities/201103/billy-ray-cyrus-mr-hannah-montana-miley

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

cry me a river

AxelAnnie and (deleted member) like this.
  3. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Presumably, since Miley was underage when she did the show, someone had to give legal permission for her to do it. Like, er, um, her parents? If it was that destructive to her family, why did they let her keep being in it?

4. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

He was in the show too...he played her dad. I'm sure he got a good chunk of change from that.

5. Auntie

Auntie New Member

That article was 10 minutes of my life I'll never get back. :blah:

ArtisticFan and (deleted member) like this.
  6. skaternum

skaternum Grooving!

I didn't even know she was having "issues."

7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

These.
    I'm not in any rush to bust out the violins for this twat. I guess those handlers held him and his wife down in their seats at gunpoint when she did that skanky pole-dance, hmmm? :rolleyes:

8. Mayra

Mayra Well-Known Member

From the article:

I don't think Miley is at the Lohan stage yet, but unlike Dina Lohan, at least Billy Ray Cyrus is willing to take some measure of responsibility.

9. Satellitegirl

Satellitegirl New Member

Billy Ray Cyrus....the next Michael Lohan.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  10. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

does that younger sister still have that children's lingerie line?

11. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

True enough, but also from the article:
    I suspect this has more to do with his family problems than Hannah Montana does.

12. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Can't stand Miley and find myself having to urgently change the channel whenever she pops up on my screen, but ....

One of the cast members of SNL, Vanessa Bayer, does a fabulous Miley that always has me :rofl:. On March 5, in time to coincide with Daddy's interviews, Miley is guest hosting. Might be worth a look for :watch: purposes and to see how they play it with the actress who does her so well.

13. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

He says he got $12,000 a week, then later $16,000 a week. So to me that's a ton of money, but for what that show was making Disney- it's peanuts. He says he hasn't made a penny off of Miley though, and that people wrongly assume he is her manager (because on the show he is the daughter's manager/dad).

I have no doubt that Hannah Montana ruined their family. As someone who was already in the entertainment industry, it seems like he should have been able to see it coming though.

This interview is a good warning to others with show-biz aspirations. However, I do think he is a bit delusional in the way he sees himself and some of the situations.

14. attyfan

attyfan Well-Known Member

According to the article, "[h]e tells me that he has never been able to discipline his kids and that he now wonders whether that was a mistake. " (emphasis added)

What was he doing before the show existed? I don't think that the show started with an infant Miley.

15. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

First of all, this was a Disney show so I can see how it would be really easy to think "this is Disney, the most family friendly company, etc. etc." The thing you have to factor in is the fame and celebrity which seems to eat up adolescents and teens. Billy Ray should have known this being famous himself, that is where he failed. I'm also not aware that Miley is out of control? I know she had the salvia incident but is that so bad, really? If that is all she is doing or done? Also, what kind of control does he want of her now, she is 18. Even the best kids can go a little crazy when they turn 18 and move out on their own.

16. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

http://www.people.com/people/article/0,,20466426,00.html

Apparently, she had her 18th b-day party at a bar. Interesting choice, considering the legal drinking age in the US is still 21--even if you are a celebrity.

I don't think she's that messed up...yet. But that could change. The salvia incident was not a good sign.

17. Skittl1321

I don't think Miley is out of control, just that she's had her incidents. The article also made it sound like the salvia incident might not really have been that- it was just a really easy way to cover for it by saying she was smoking a legal herb. She was photographed with a beer in Europe when she was 17. Not out of control, normal, for a teenager- but how do you reign in a child who is a billionaire?

I think it's less about Miley and more that his family has broken up, and he regrets that. Miley's stardom was the impetus for that. In retrospect, not doing the show would be better for the family unit.

18. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

I once heard a wise man say that when you are a parent, don't try to be their 'best friend', but raise them in such a way that when they are adults, they will choose to be your friend.

I don't feel sorry one bit for Cyrus. Wondering if a lack of discipline wasn't a good judgment call? Jeez, ya think?

19. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

I don't think she's a billionaire yet. :lol:

20. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

maybe this was brought up in the interview, but what if Miley was never a child star and still was a difficult teenager? What would he blame the problems on then?

In any case, she seems like a determined, driven person. How do parents already in show business best guide such a person?

21. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

That's correct -- she "only" made $48M last year according to Forbes -- only good enough for #32 in earnings on their 2010 celebrity ranking. Hope she has good financial advisers, if nothing else.

22. Skittl1321

Maybe I was thinking of the Olsen twins. Except I think that's their company's sales, not their worth.

23. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

He seems to be doing a lot of deflection in that article, says he's not her manager, not privy to what goes on, didn't want to go to the 18th birthday party held in a bar because he knew it was wrong, etc. However, if my teen decided to go to a bar for his 18th birthday and I knew about it, I'd be there dragging his ass home and embarrassing him in front of his friends. I'd also be all over the bar for letting the teen inside - they could lose their license for that.

Saying you don't want to be a part of it does not give you the right to go 'hey look, I'm blameless'. It's his daughter, he needs to stand up, tell her what he thinks and stop complaining to magazines that her show tore his family apart. Seems like his lack of a spine helped. Be a parent, not an enabler.

24. Skittl1321

To be fair, that depends on local laws. The city I live in now just started a law that bars had to be 21 and up (previously 19 and up), and the city I went to college in you only had to be 18 to get into bars.

They just couldn't serve you alcohol. But you were more than welcome to pay the cover charge and dance the night away. Most even gave you free coke if you had a designated drive stamp on your hand.

25. MacMadame

MacMadame Cat Lady-in-Training

I was in a bar on Thurs. that allows all ages. You get a hand stamp if you are 21 or older. They do concerts so people come for the music. (That's why I was there.)

26. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

Yep, on the bad teenager behavior scale, she's still nowhere near the far end--unless she's up to more than makes the tabloids.

She's a legal adult, lives on her own, has plenty of money--not much he can do at this point. Whatever damage was done is done.

27. IceJunkie

IceJunkie Well-Known Member

When I was 18, I smoked a lot worse than salvia. :p Honestly, unless Miley is secretly doing crack or getting wasted every night, she really doesn't seem to be doing anything different than most late high shool/college aged kids. Then again, most 17-22 year olds don't have an infinite supply of money and an entourage that will never say no to you.

28. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

The bar thing is not such a huge deal where I live. Bars allow 18 and up in but only 21 and up can drink. It would not be unusual at all for an 18 year old to have their party at a bar or to go out to a bar that night since they officially can.

29. ArtisticFan

ArtisticFan Well-Known Member

I have little sympathy for him if that was the purpose of his comments.

Despite the image of country bumpkins, the Cyrus family didn't go into Hannah Montana with no knowledge of how the industry operates. I have a hard time believing that they were naive what with his time in the recording industry and television prior to Miley's breakout role on a Disney show.

Yes, I do think it likely that the show producers, Miley's managers, etc. made decisions that were adverse to her best interests. However, their job is to market and produce a product. They aren't and can't be child advocates at the same time. That's why parents have to be involved in the day to day operations and the long term planning for that child. For example, her parents needed to be on that magazine shoot when she posed in only the sheet. Yes, Billy Ray was there for the portion he was needed for, but he just left. No offense, but his job wasn't done just because the cameras were done with him.

She has made some bad choices both in terms of her personal life and in an effort to further her career. None of them are the worst we've ever seen, but she has shown her ability to make some bad choices. My biggest issue about her "handling" is that she is always so late with the statements and they seem bound to public opinion. Yes, determining public opinion is important in response to media coverage of something controversial, but you can't wait for it to settle before you make a statement. In other words, I find her and her team to be very reactive rather than proactive.

30. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

Billy Ray has no one to blame for his marriage breakup other than himself and his wife. If Hannah Montana hadn't of happened, he would be just another washed up country singer. Indirectly blaming "the show" is like blaming Miley herself for the divorce. Man up Billy...