Biggest Skating Busts (USA Ladies Singles)

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Philly2034, Feb 10, 2013.

1. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

Make of this what you will:

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1004989/index.htm

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-sr...998/history/timeline/articles/time_020294.htm

[/beating dead horse]

Now, as far as the biggest figure skating bust is concerned, it was clearly when Wolfgang Schwarz was arrested (and later successfully prosecuted) for human trafficking. :judge:

Last edited: Feb 13, 2013
  2. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

After you posted about Yebin, I found this stunning pic and self-write up about her:
    http://iamkoreanamerican.com/2012/06/12/yebin-mok/
    When I see such inspirational articles about former skaters, it's hard to think of them in any way as a 'bust'.

Sylvia and (deleted member) like this.
  3. apatinar

apatinar Active Member

Yebin is absolutely stunning in the photos... I really miss her competitive skating... She really should have done a lot better!

4. dots

dots Well-Known Member

I remember hearing stories about her making "noises" in the bathroom if you know what I mean.Now it all makes sense.

I still watch her 2003 SP from time to time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlv6n5EQq3U

5. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

I think we all know who my favorite cutie is. http://www1.pictures.zimbio.com/gi/Rachael+Flatt+ISU+Four+Continents+Figure+Skating+ntbz-AbsCvyl.jpg. And, while winning the Worlds Jr. Championship is certainly a top, heavy achievement, she just hasn't lived up (or out) to her name since then.Although she is no threat to Anna Semenovich, I think we can see more back troubles in her future. I always admired her academic achievements and her being a straight 'A' student, but I understand she got her first 'B' recently (I think I can see where). Oh well, I shall continue to keep abreast of Rachael's career, and hope that her luck this year won't prove me to be a total boob.

Yours truly, Jerry Denton, a/k/a Jot the Dot Dot, skating fan and former leg man........

6. Bosha

Bosha Active Member

Ye Bin Mok was an absolutely beautiful skater. It's so nice to hear that she's still skating. I hope that she gets her dream of having her own artistic skating company! I'll buy the first ticket!

7. aftershocks

aftershocks Well-Known Member

:respec:

Thanks for the links, dot, Rob, and FunnyBut. It's fascinating to find out about the off-ice journey Yebin's life took that eventually brought her back to her passion.

From the Korean-American blog:

From the IceNetwork article:

8. DBZ

DBZ Well-Known Member

It's kinda funny to me that, of all the skaters touted as the "new Kwan" between 2000-2010, the ones I had the least expectations for ironically went on to achieve the highest acclaim, at least on paper.

Judging by natural talent alone, if you would've told me at the onset that Sarah Hughes, Kimmie Meissner, and Rachel Flatt would go on to win Olympic, World and National titles...while skaters like Naomi Nari Nam, Ann Patrice McDonough and Yebin Mok wouldn't even make a world team, I would've been hard pressed to believe you.

Shows how rarely hype actually plays out in the long run.

9. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I am so glad I didn't have to write a post about Katarina Witt, Victoria Volchkova, and Elene Gedevanishvili. These great skating busts are almost too great to contemplate, especially in terms of their miraculous jumps.

Few in USA skating can really be called busts. Naomi Nari Nam might be one, but she came back from her injury and did pairs. Many fans appreciated Naomi for coming back, and her pairs career wasn't bad while it lasted. It's hard to consider her a let down. In the USA, unlike Canada, Naomi was just one of many outstanding talents who never made it to senior worlds.

10. aftershocks

Yeah sure, but Sarah never won a World or National title (medals, yes). Of course, Rachael Flatt never won an Olympic or World title (nor medals). And Kimmie never won an Olympic title or medal, although Rachael and Kimmie were fortunate to at least participate in the Olympics (as per the notion that you are nothing as a figure skater if you don't make it to the Olympics, and worst than nothing if you don't medal, or such a failure if you medal but don't win gold as a favorite). :p Sarah Hughes' Olympic gold medal win was an unexpected, dream-fulfilled icing on the cake moment.

In any case, there are busts (breasts), and there are busts (rips), and then there are busts (arrests). To defame figure skaters as busts is very low-down and measly. I suppose the OP just can't bust through to face and overcome his/ her own miseries, dramas, failures.

Well at the least, the negative intention of this thread has turned into a few laughs and into providing something enlightening, informative as well as memorable and inspiring re Yebin Mok's journey. No bust, that! And no bust re Ann-Patrice, Naomi, Bebe, or any other athlete who gave it their all.

Vash01 and (deleted member) like this.
  11. nikjil

nikjil Active Member

I'm so glad to see the story about Ye Bin Mok. She was always one of my favorite skaters, beautiful artistry, stretch. I'd love to see her skate professionally.

12. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I keep coming back to this thread hoping to see pictures...

13. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

14. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I thought this was a family thread!

15. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

16. aftershocks

:lol: Well, Yebin Mok is definitely family friendly, as are most figure skaters. ;) But this thread in many respects, probably not. Anyway, thanks to the friendly and spirited posters for their humorous and/ or positive and noteworthy contributions.

17. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Cindy Bortz looks like a cross between Rachael Flatt and Tara Lipinski. What happened to her between 1987 and 1988? She was good at the 1987 Junior Worlds.

1987 Junior Worlds

1988 USA Nationals

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  18. Jot the Dot Dot

19. demetriosj

demetriosj Well-Known Member

20. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

A skater can recover from a small bust in the short program as long as they don't have a large bust in the long program.

21. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Anna Semenovich has beautiful ankles.

22. Aussie Willy

For a thread about busts, no-one has mentioned Michelle's tatas.

23. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Unlike Czisny's I believe in them.

24. Jot the Dot Dot

25. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

For a minute I thought that's where Dick Button and Scott Hamilton went to hibernate during the off season.

26. leesaleesa

leesaleesa Active Member

Sasha's miracle bra was a fairly big figure skating bust.

Silly me, I never knew what a "smiral" was. I just called that the moment in the program where Michelle's boobs showed up.

27. Aussie Willy

:lol: Neither did I. But I like it.

28. Sylvia

Sylvia On to Nationals!

I posted the link to her YouTube channel that includes some of her professional performances in the separate Yebin Mok thread I started as an offshoot to this thread: http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/sho...s-just-pure-love-expanding-and-forgiving-quot

29. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

I never knew Kirk had an eating disorder. Regardless Kirk was never going to be anymore than an ok skater IMO. I cant imagine her ever having gotten higher than 8th or 9th at Worlds. She had really fugly and smallish jumps which looked terrible, and her overall skating lacked pizzaz and excitement.

30. fenway2

fenway2 Well-Known Member

I would agree with you if I had not witnessed her Chicago short program at 2004 nationals where she did the impossible and nearly overshadowed Kwan and Cohen. If her team could have tapped into that kind of program more then she might have had a more impressive senior career, but they didn't.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.