Biggest Loser Couples: Season 9

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rob, Jan 5, 2010.

1. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

Oh, I think they've got each other wrapped around their respective fingers. I don't think she's any more irritating or manipulative than he is - notice how this week when she had to come up with a big number to save face his weight loss was pretty low? They're both playing the game.

I'll do the why first - it's hard to keep pulling big numbers week after week, so if a team has immunity, the strategy is to somehow take it easy/lose less weight that week because you're not in danger of going home. The idea is that the following week, when a team needs to stay above the yellow line, they can manage a more dramatic weight loss.

The how - most of what I've heard has been water loading - making sure to go into the weigh-in having drunk a ton of water to inflate one's weigh-in. One can also slack off during the week, but that's way more obvious and clearly hard to do around Jillian and Bob. I'm sure someone could also be scarfing down everything in the kitchen and we're just not getting shown the footage, but I think that would be harder to shake off the following week.

2. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Thanks for the explanations, oleada and gen :).

I missed this week's episode--can someone post (perhaps in spoiler tags) who went home and what was the Red Team's weight loss this week?

3. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I know that Melissa lost 11 lbs this week and her husband lost either 5 or 6 lbs this week.

The green team was below the yellow line. The vote was 4-3 to send home Migdalia instead of Miggy. Migdalia asked to be sent home (there was big drama over that--long and short of it is she wanted to go home to be with her husband before he leaves for Afghanistan).

Melissa and Miggy exchanged some words after the weigh in. The green team was below the yellow line, even with the 2 lb weight disadvantage. Miggy told Melissa just what she thought of her, which, I'm sure is most all of the contestants, (plus Bob and Jillian) thought as well. The weight disadvantage still would have had them below the yellow line.

4. care

care New Member

:D From Rockne Brubaker's Twitter:

http://twitter.com/RockneBru86

5. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

:lol::lol::confused: I wonder what the link is going to be between the Biggest Loser show, contestants, and Rockne Brubaker! Just can't imagine...

6. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Well, NBC is showing the Olympics, so I'm sure there's a connection with that.

7. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

We saw a fast little bit of the Contestants visiting the Colorado Springs Training Centre during the First Episode and they were talking about some of the things they'd experience this season on TBL. Obvious tie in w/the NBC Olympic coverage on the last TBL episode before Vancouver. Looking forward to seeing what he has to do w/them. :)

8. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

Oh, yeah, of course. The Olympics. On NBC. :lol:

9. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I'll weigh in (heh..) about the episode a little later, but I gotta say next week looks awesome! I've been to the Olympic Training Center in Colorado Springs a couple times and it's just the coolest thing... I'm glad the contestants will get to see it and will get a chance to work out with some Olympians!

10. genevieve

gah, I guess I'm off the Biggest Loser again due to LOST...so who got the boot tonight? Recap anyone? :saint:

11. Fridge_Break

Quick recap:

Miggy was sent to the hospital and ended up having her appendix removed. She was not pulled from the game, but is limited to walking as her only form of exercise.

The blue team and the yellow team returned to campus since day 1. They weighed in and the yellow team lost the most weight(11ish percent to 9% or so from the blue team), so they got to stay. The blue team will return for the finale weigh in. The yellow team was granted immunity for 2 weeks and, for this week, given the right to be the only vote for this week's elimination.

Michael (white team) won the immunity challenge, and the pink team came in last and were given a 2 pound disadvantage.

As far as the weigh in goes, the orange team was #1 for the week, the pink team had no problems overcoming their disadvantage and were 2nd or 3rd. Miggy was in the middle despite her limited exercise routine. Red was in last for much of the weigh in, up until the final team weighed in, which was the brown team. John fell behind them and thus below the yellow line, and was automatically eliminated since he was a team by himself.

Next week the teams travel to Colorado Springs to train with Olympians at the Training Center and 2 people will be sent home. Additionally, they showed a "+1" pop up on the scale, although it looked like they may have re-used footage from Melissa's weight gain in the 2nd week.

12. genevieve

Aw, I liked John, I;m sorry he was eliminated. :(

So was the team that returned the two women? Or the father/daughter? I can't remember the shirt colors for them.

Miggy! :eek: glad she's ok and that she was able to rally.

13. agalisgv

Yellow is a father/daughter team.
    She was really amazing. She couldn't do anything but walk, so the day after surgery (if you can believe it), she walked like 6 miles, then 18 miles the next day, and then 14 or so miles the day after that. I was happy she did so well with the weigh in.

14. genevieve

Yay! I liked both of those teams in the first ep, but I'm really glad the yellow team in back. :)

15. agalisgv

The father especially was motivated and inspirational. Compared to the bad energy last week, this week was a nice change.

16. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

I was so CHOKED! My PVR recorded the first hour of the episode and then the first hour of LAST WEEKS episode... grrrr...

17. Fridge_Break

Yeah, they decided to air a condensed version of last week's episode in the 8pm hour and then the new episode from 9 to 11. I was in a situation here where one of my NBC channels was like this and the other (out of Chicago) aired the new episode at 8 so that they could get as much election coverage in as possible (this confused the heck out of me when I first discovered it, which was during commercials for Lost)

You can probably find the first half of the episode online somewhere if you do a google search. NBC's website is usually really slow with getting this show up and online.

18. Nan

Nan Just me

Usually they don't put up the "current" episode until after the next one airs. They are always a week behind.

I missed the first 15 minutes of the show last night and was a bit confused coming in to the middle of the weigh-off between the two returning couples. I was sad to see John go, but I think he will be motivated enough to get to where he needs to go.

19. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

I was gleefully happy at the Red being in the bottom and then so saddened when Brown fell below them. Unfortunately, I think, this will motivate Red to actually work harder. Drats, I so wanted at least one of Red to go home. Oh, and I wasn't buying the tears from Red while she worked with Bob - just too darned convenient as though they are trying to get some of us viewers to swing to Red's side/defense. The sooner they are gone the happier I'll be ... I think. I'm just not into the gameplay they have been using. Hey Reds, you're there for the WEIGHT LOSE stupid, not one-upmanship.

20. AragornElessar

I also wasn't feeling bad for Melissa during her work out w/Bob. Oh...Poor baby actually having to *do something* during her work out and being pushed. Did she really think Bob and Jillian wouldn't push her more than the others after what's happened the last couple of weeks? Melissa got a very rude awakening last night and long over due too.

I was also gleefully happy to see them going lower and lower and lower until John stepped on the scale. I also thought it takes an awful lot of nerve for her to say she was disappointed w/Lance for not losing as much weight as she did and therefore putting them in danger.

WTH!?! After how Lance has defended Melissa about the weigh in's she threw and then lied about, she says that about him!?!

Who would have thought after all Tracey pulled last season, we'd be saying someone's worse than her, but I think we have a winner...

So sad to see John go, but he looks so good. Haven't seen anyone mention it yet, but he's lost a little over a 100 pounds total and it shows too. There was a little bit of footage showing him and his brother playing pick up Basketball and they're *both* moving so much better. So great to see.

LOVED Jillan's reaction to learning Michael won the Challenge and Immunity.

ROTFLOL!!!

Poor Miggy having to go through that, but I'm guessing she had hers out by Laproscopic Surgery. Only reasson I can think of why she was able to bounce back and walk as quickly as she was able to. BTW, did I hear her right when she said that a benign cyst/mass was also taken out? Could have sworn I hear her say that was also found and taken out along w/her Appendix.

No wonder though she's not feeling as tired or washed out as she had been. Been there and done that during College and I remember those two weeks leading up to my Emergency Appendix removal all too well. It was like 100 pound weights were tied to each of my legs and try as I might, even the littlest things were hard to do. It's really hard to believe that such a tiny little thing can make you *that* sick, but it does.

Oh and how great was it to see Michael out w/her for her walk around the Campus. It was nice to see she wasn't out there by her own.

21. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

What did she say?!

22. AragornElessar

Something along the lines of she was really disappointed in Lance for not losing as much as he has been and therefore putting them in danger of going below the Yellow Line. Also that he ended up putting all of the pressure on her and other such garbage.

As I said...Considering Lance has been the one carrying Team Red for the most part, takes an awful lot of nerve for Melissa to say that.

23. DaveRocks

DaveRocks Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing Rockne tonight. He looks *hot* in the preview clip!

24. Beefcake

Beefcake Guest

:mitchell: Cheater! Unfair advantage! She'll have her [what's another superfluous organ?] removed before next weigh-in. :p

25. genevieve

NBC aired a Biggest Loser rerun Sunday night and I ws psyched since I missed last week - and they showed the previous week's episode! :wall:

I hope Rockne's in the first hour tonight, before I have to switch to ABC for LOST.

26. FiveRinger

Am I the only one jumping up and down on the couch right now???!!! I am so over her right now. Can someone just get her off of my television right now? She talks entirely too much. She's extremely condescending. I couldn't be happier with her falling below the red line.

I didn't like the final elimination challenge--but I like that no one had to vote. And they were really wrong for that cliffhanger!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2010
  27. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

hell no! :cheer:

but what is this survivor type challenge where they balance fire or whatnot? what isnt mrs red just going home?

28. FiveRinger

Nope. This week there was the red line where the person with the lowest percentage of weight loss was eliminated immediately. The two people with the next two lowest percentages of weight loss were then in danger of being eliminated. At first, Ali said that the house would vote. But, then, after Mrs Red went home, she announced that there would be a challenge since this week they were celebrating the Olympics. Balancing torches on their heads. How your thighs must burn after that one!

29. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

thanks

I was so excited to see Mrs Red leave that I totally missed that

30. agalisgv

I thought Ms. Red's comments were inappropriate. She made it sound like she was choosing to go home rather than being sent on her way. I also thought it was a tad snarky of her to say it was okay because she was so much nearer her goal weight than anyone else, and unlike others she didn't have major medical issues so it was okay for her to go home now. To me it just came off as saying she was far better than the others.

Oh well, hope the door didn't hit her on the way out :D

FiveRinger and (deleted member) like this.