Biggest Loser Couples: Season 9

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rob, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Anyone watch last night? Michael's mother was annoying and out of control, but I continue to like Michael - I cracked up when he congratulated his mom on her weight loss after "her quick date with the concrete."

Happy for brown too - a good loss for him.

Felt bad for Purple, but mom did the right thing. She seems to have a good grip, and she didn't throw her daughter under the bus like Helen from Season 7.

So are they setting up Red to be the villian? Frankly, I think you are pretty dumb not to water load when you have immunity and try to add your week 2 loss to your week 3 loss. It's not really part of some grad scheme to eliminate the threats - it's just a shot at getting an extra week early in the game. Everyone knows it when they see it. Why hide it? I would just tell everyone - hey, I really need to get 4 weeks out of this - I am waterloading today. This doesn't mean I am just after the money, I just need 4 weeks to break my habits and get a good start. We will see what happens then.

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I really don't get why people think Helen was so eville (not just you Rob, I've read it on other sites as well) for wanting to stay. I think the only reason Helen's daughter was on the show was so her mom could do it - she did not seem to have any motivation to change. Sure, there's an argument that the daughter "needed" to be on the ranch more, but quite frankly I'd rather see someone who wants to be there and is working hard than someone who always seemed like they were just fine with their previous lifestyle and would rather be at home eating chips. And clearly Helen proved that she did deserve to be at the ranch, since she won.

I can't argue with the strategy, but red team bugged me a little last week and really bugged me this week. They're no Crazy Eyes Tracey, but so farr all the teams seem overwhelmingly nice, so red team does stick out as a pair of schemers (at least she seems like a schemer).

I love Daris and his mom.

3. Nan

Nan Just me

I like Michael, too, and would like to see his mother go if for no other reason than to separate the two of them for a while and let Michael focus on himself...not his mother and "taking care" of her. I missed most of the first episode so I'm a little lacking in back-stories. Is Michael's mother married?

I think She-red is a lot smarter than He-red about how the game is played.

4. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

That is why - Shannon had a DUI before the BL, and was arrested while the show was airing for assaulting her tenant because his TV was too loud (Of course, Helen couldn't have known that was going to happen). But Helen's bio on the show said something along the lines of "Helen would do anything to help her daughter because she feels she didn't provide enough for her when she was growing up." So nevermind the fact that Helen didn't promote a healthy lifestyle (many parents don't), but when she had a chance, she didn't seem to even want to try to talk her into it. Of course, editing my have helped with that. Sure, Helen needed to take care of herself to lose the weight, but by contrast, look at Ron & Mike, Kathy & Kristin, Betty Sue & Ali, Renee & Michelle, Purple mom (can't remember names yet this year), Jackie & Dan, etc. who were adamant that their kids have a chance to change and not follow in their footsteps.

5. AragornElessar

AragornElessar Well-Known Member

I really like and get a kick out of Michael too. My Brother In Law's Italian and he reminds me an awful lot of my BIL's youngest brother. Super nice guy and just loves life. I get those same vibes from Michael and I also LOL'ed over the "date w/the concrete" comment. :D

No, they're not "Crazy Tracey" eville, but I get that schemer vibe from Team Red too. Especially from her.

I loved, loved, loved Jillian w/Maria in the pool. She was so fantastic w/Maria and supportive too. I really hope that helped/helps Maria w/her fear of water. I was right there when I was little thanks to that Cdn Red Cross commercial w/the overturned canoe and voiceover of the little kid screaming for Daddy. This was their way to enforce how important it is to wear a life jacket. I've since heard many of my generation learned how to swim very late due to that thing. I didn't learn to swim until I was around 10 thanks to that thing creating such a fear of the water w/me, so I was so feeling what Maria was going through. I really do hope this helped w/her phobia.

Next week looks awfully stressful.

6. Fridge_Break

Fridge_Break Well-Known Member

I'm liking this season so far. Then again I only just started watching with last season, so this is all pretty new to me, so I'm possibly just still intrigued as to how drastic these transformations are by the end of the season.

I'm rather neutral to all of the contestants so far except the gray team (who I think have the potential to get real annoying, real quick) and the red team.. who are going to be worse than toast the second they fall below the yellow line since they're (or, at least she) not hiding the fact that they're playing the game hard.

Felt bad for the mom on the white team, although she kind of brought her injury on herself with being so scared.. I was surprised to see she was the biggest loser for the week, despite.

Off-topic in regards to this cycle, but does anyone happen to know if there's a website where I could watch previous seasons? I have found myself wishing I had gotten into this show sooner than I did.

7. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

I love when Bob and Jillia call contestants on stuff... given that this is a "game" to a degree - but in some cases, they are playing with peoples lives (or so the doc claims)... which in some respects seems unfair. Oh well, like Survivor I am sure someone will get bit in the behind! (or chewed out... one of the two!)

8. AragornElessar

^^^

Talk about one heck of a post to lead into this week's episode. :D

Still not sure on some of the names and Team Red's one of them. Wow oh wow did she deserve the, as it's called here in this house, fired at w/both barrels treatment from Bob and Jillian and then some!! Of *course* she threw the weigh in again this week. She's just plain out and out lucky the Grey Team didn't pick them for the switch, because she would have been going home and deservedly so. I mean...There's the Grey Team w/Imminuty this week and they went full out even though they had it.

She did it *again* and again was looking everyone in the eye and lying about her reasoning. Her husband can be as pissed off about it as he wants, but she did deserve getting called out like that. Only people they're hurting are themselves and...Well...Karma bites back eventually.

Miggy and Magdalela (sp?), but the daughter especially...No wonder they've got Blood Pressure problems and if that daughter doesn't get what Jillian was trying to tell her, that emotions are not weakness, but a strength, she's a Heart Attack and/or Stroke Victim waiting to happen. Even if she gets her weight off, not talking about things and sitting in the corner brooding/sulking will still make her at risk for one or both of those things happening.

As for Jillian talking about the impact this has on the third Generation of the family...Well, she's right!! If they keep on the way they have been, showing the Granddaughter/Daughter these horrible non healthy way of living, then the cycle's going to continue. It's too bad the both of them took offense at that and didn't *listen* to what Jillian, and also Bob, was trying to tell them. It's all well and good to say "I want to get Healthy and that's why I'm here...", but to do that, you also have to do an awful lot of work on your emotional and mental issues that got you to the point you're at now.

They're actually hurting themselves too on the Ranch w/this attitude w/the others. You can literally feel it when someone's got a *huge* chip on their shoulder like the daughter does. Who wants to spend time w/someone like that?

I really hope they take the chance they've been given, but right now...They're my vote for this year's Contestants that gain back whatever weight they've lost. If they aren't going to listen and/or realize that bottling everything up is just as unhealthy as stuffing Cheetohs in your face, then... :(

And then there's Michael...I get why the Grey Team picked them to switch and I honestly don't think it was just because Michael's the biggest guy. I really do believe it was due to Michael's behaviour/attitude during the week. Of course he obviously did work out this week, as he lost ten pounds, but how much more could he have lost if he'd actually worked as hard as the rest of them? So due to that, I understand why a couple of teams voted for Michael to go home.

Maria looks fantastic and awesome for her to continue working on her fear of the water. Loved her throwing a kiss to us under the water. :D

Wonder what'll happen next week, as it looks like Jillian and Hubby Red get into it over what happened at tonight's weigh in. At least it looked pretty tense in the wee bit we saw in the Promo.

9. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

Ack! My PVR cut off and I didn't see the promo! :( However, Red Man seemed STEAMING mad!

10. genevieve

eh, red man can suck it. that pair is tiresome - I was so glad they didn't win immunity. I'm guessing from the preview that Melissa loses like 30 pounds next week :lol:

Sorry that Maria had to go, but I'm glad they kept Michael. I was actually hoping the pink team would end up in the bottom cause they're kind of boring (but good for them for pulling it off against all those big guys!).

11. Freespirit

Freespirit New Member

I kinda felt that "Red Man" didn't say anything because he realized his wife got caught with her "hands in the cookie jar" so to speak and didn't want to look like a fool defending her. He was looking down the whole time. If she was innocent, he should have been looking Jillian and Bob straight in the eye and at least glowered at them while his wife was defending herself. There's no doubt in my mind that she either over-ate or drank liquids just before the weight-in.

12. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

It is too bad that grey didn't switch them. That would have been priceless.

13. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

From the promos for next week, it seems Red Husband is squarely on his wife's corner.

14. genevieve

I thought he was deliberately not looking at them because he was trying to control his temper. I expect he is furious at any accusations toward his wife.

15. Freespirit

Freespirit New Member

True, but you would have thought he would have said something to her defense especially when she asked him at the end if he had anything to say. I thought she was a bit surprised that he didn't speak up. Oh well, next week will tell. I personally like game play. Makes it more interesting.

16. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

You know, I don't think I'm going to watch this show anymore (and this is my first season). I don't like the game play. I'd rather watch Discovery Health and their shows about weight loss and obesity.

17. AragornElessar

I think it was the last page where someone said that while Melissa isn't crazy like "Crazy Eyed Tracey" from last season, she didn't think Melissa was on the same level w/the game playing. After tonight, I think Melissa's worse. At least Tracey was up front about it and we all knew she was playing the game from Day One.

Her behaviour during the weigh in said it all. She was saying a good cover, but we can all see thanks to her face she didn't mean it. Why else stand there w/that smug smile on her face and then wink at Miggy? They can be as offended at Jillian as they want, but she's right. Melissa's trying to do a con job on them, and in a way, on us too, but the only ones she's fooling is her husband and herself.

The truly funny thing though? They think they've snowed Bob just because he's told them that he said his piece, that's what he thinks and let's move on. If they *really* think that, then they're more delusional than I think they are.

As for what happened tonight...I'm not as ticked off at her as I was a few hours ago, but still ticked at Magdelia. From the last two weeks of the show...I'm sorry, but have her Mom and her *not* paid attention to the show when they watched it in the past? There's more to all of this than just losing weight and getting healthy. A big part of it is also working on what's going on mental and emotional wise too and as soon as Magdalia started feeling those emotions...She walks out and wants to quit.

Then she stands there in front of everyone and has the gall to say, "I have kids and I have a husband, so send me home!!" And what does she think the rest of them have done? Everyone on that Ranch left family behind. Everyone. That wasn't why she wanted to go home. She wanted to go home so she could go and hide again. It's great she's lost the weight she's lost, but I don't see it being long term. I hope I'm wrong, but I don't see it.

Oh and what wife and Mother sends off the letter her Daughter was writing to her Husband?

I mean...Seriously!?! That *really* ticked off my Dad. Three of his siblings served during WWII and one didn't come home, so for him to hear first that little girl read what she'd wrote and then Magdalia say, "That's great Honey!!"...

He was less than impressed and we'll leave it at that.

What I was so ticked about though and still am is...How many people apply to get on TBL? It's like once she, and also Miggy to an extent, realized they'd have to do more than just exercise and learn to eat more healthy wise, that's when we heard her whining about wanting to go home. She gave up right there and then.

I've battled w/my weight for years and would love to have the chance to work w/the Team they have on TBL, but Magdalia was given that chance and just threw it away. How many other obese people were watching tonight and feeling the same way? I just feel like she took the spot of someone else who really needed to be there and would have "gotten it".

That's just me though.

That Promo for next week looks to be rather scary. I wonder who it is and what happened?

18. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Meh, Melissa's playing the game, but I find her entertaining, so I hope she sticks around.

Can't STAND green, though. They're the type of incredibly defensive people who think they are victims every time and carry their negativity everywhere. I'm glad the 2lbs made no difference. I can't believe all the people who would love this opportunity and Migdalia just wants to give up. Whatever.

I like grey & black & purple. They all seem really genuine.

19. genevieve

She Red is awful - she's got all the smug of Tracey without the entertaining crazy eyes :lol:
    Loved Jillian just going off on her (and He Red too) :p

I was torn about the reward - if there;s a shared prize I usually want the winners to choose whoever came in 2nd, just to be sporting. but tonight I wanted Team Grey to give the 3 calls to the 3 teams Red Team had given penalties to. Oh well, probably way smarter for them to ahve done it the way they did.

20. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

So do I - Tracey was highly competitive from the start, but she spent the first couple of weeks of the show in the hospital and unable to work out so she at least had a reason for her desperation. She tried to justify everything, but she didn't lie about her strategy. Melissa should at least admit what she's up to instead of trying to act so innocent. That said, 12 lbs over 3 weeks is not a great number on the ranch - she is the smallest of the group though.

I don't think Migdalia had enough time to work through her issues, but if her husband was being deployed, I do think she did the right thing by going home to her kids. Her mother was with her so I assume the kids would be looked after by the other grandmother or other relatives, but having their dad in Afghanistan and their mom away for a couple of months would not be the best of situations for the kids.

21. genevieve

I think Tracey showed up will all the desperation, her time in the hospital didn't make her that way - I'd even say her desperation is why she pushed herself too hard and ended up in the hospital on day 1. But it is funny to think how refreshing her openness about game play was now that we're seeing these schemers, who are soooooo concerned with how they're going to look on tv. Really, their overreaction and refusal to acknowledge their strategy is making them look way worse than Jillian/Bob could do on their own.

I'm also ok with Migdalia going home. She wasn't just saying "I've got a husband and kids", she was saying "My husband is leaving to go to a war zone, and I won't get to see him if I stay on this ranch too long". Of course, it brings to question why she did the show in the first place, at least this season, but I don't blame her for leaving when her team was in the bottm.

22. DubbalinGirl

DubbalinGirl New Member

I think this is funny, but not in a comedic way but rather a pathetic way. What's even more "funny" in the same way is that they really think that they can pull one over on Bob and Jillian like that? REALLY? I hate when people toss credentials around to make their case, but Jillian was right, she's the best (or better than most) at what she does, she's seen this type of person hundreds of times and what Mrs. Red is doing just isn't possible without gameplay. Why aren't they comprehending that? They're really going to argue with a fitness professional about something they so obviously know nothing about? Unreal.

23. Nan

Nan Just me

I agree. Even if Mrs. Red hadn't targeted them, I don't think they would have done well.

I LOVE the grey team! Those boys are so determined and open to accepting the change they know they need to make.

24. professordeb

professordeb Well-Known Member

Love the grey team ... they work hard and are sooooo pleased with their results and rightly so.
    Cannot. Stand. The. Red. Team. I was so happy when grey beat red at challenge but then negated my joy when they picked red to get home calls. Probably a good strategic move but ...

25. AragornElessar

That's actually what I meant. Funny in that pathetic delusional way.

Like you, I also hate it when people throw their credentials around, but Jillian had a legitmate point here. I almost choked on my water when Melissa was "telling" Jillian she knew all she needed to know about weight loss in three weeks.

I. Don't. Think. So!!

Bob said something simliar on Jay last night, as Jay brought up the Red Team. Bob basically said he still doesn't believe her "story", but what's done is done and now we move on.

So even though he's told them it's a done issue, we all know Bob doesn't buy it. Even if they don't.

26. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

I also really dislike that green team. They walked around the ranch with the biggest chip on their shoulders, sulking, not really (apparently) establishing any sort of relationships with any of the other players. And the way Migdalia announced her decision to the group. So obnoxious and disrespectful. The others looked like they were walking on eggshells around the green team. She's really learned nothing about herself, or at least that's what it seems like to me, and I would think she'll gain her weight back in a hurry if something doesn't change. If she wants to go home and see her husband, fine, but don't be so obnoxious to everyone else. And, like someone else said, why was she on the show then? It also drove me crazy the way Miggi kept telling her, "Don't cry!"

And the red team, meh. Melissa is a huge game player. Either that or she is really psycho.

I'm sorry I missed Bob on Jay's show. I never watch this show live any more because I'm catching up on 24 from Monday night. So I didn't know...

27. Freespirit

Freespirit New Member

Jimena, hope you finish the first season, though. The contestants are trying to win 250,000 as well as lose weight, so there has to be strategies and some sore of "game play" involved.

28. GaPeach

GaPeach New Member

I LOVE the Gray team!

Red team--I thought Jillian was going :revenge: Melissa. Melissa has Mr. Red wrapped around her little finger. He thinks she is perfect and will do anything for her.

29. agalisgv

agalisgv Well-Known Member

Can someone explain how you throw a weigh-in, and why?

Thanks!

30. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Water loading - drinking lots of water before a weigh-in in order to produce a bigger weight loss the following week.