Biggest Loser Couples: Season 9

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Rob, Jan 5, 2010.

1. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

We start again tonight at 8/7c!

One of the contestants is over 500 pounds.

2. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

I'm excited for this season... the twins combined weigh close to 1000 lbs. apparently.

3. sk8pics

sk8pics Well-Known Member

:eek::eek: Wow!

Looking forward to the show... I need Bob to yell at me to stop eating junk food, LOL!

4. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

I am really interested to watch. Also, for those interested,there is a special that is airing on Discovery Health tomorrow night about Eric, the Season 3 winner who gained most of his weight back.

5. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

They showed reruns of Season 3 over New Years, and I could not believe how much Eric lost between the last week at the ranch and the finale. It was stunning. Over 80 lbs I think. Not sure how long he had, but most of the finalist have lost 20-50 pounds between the semi-final and final. Danny and Rudy lost 80-90 pounds at home I think, but they went home for 30 days before the semi final and then again before the final. I wonder whether the time at home differs season to season.

6. FiveRinger

^
    I saw it too--and I was amazed at all of the weight that Eric lost before he left the ranch. But, one insight I got when watching that marathon was that those contestants stay in the 4-5 hrs a day. I don't know anyone who can consistently stay in the gym that many hours a day--especially if you have a job, family, etc.

7. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

It's crazy how they have these seasons back-to-back, but I will be watching. :cheer:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  8. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Those fried plantains at Maggy and Migdalia's looked delicious :eek:

9. CDANN1013

CDANN1013 Active Member

I think this season will be a good one. There isn't anyone that I dislike (yet).

Carol

10. Allen

Allen Glad to be back!

I have only watched this show in passing before. However, I'm definitely following it this time because Ashley from the pink team is a friend of mine. It was very surreal to see her on the show tonight. In general, I like most of the people on the show, so I think it will be fun.

11. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

For some reason, the twins in the 480s looked heavier to me than Michael at 526.

Michael picked Jillian up like she was the remote control.

12. HeatherC

HeatherC Go Team SW Florida! =)

It was a good show tonight but I don't know how I feel about them having to weigh in while in front of their friends and family. They all ready go through the gamut of emotions on the show so why should they have to go through that before they even get there? :eek:

This should be a good season though. :)

13. GaPeach

GaPeach New Member

Wow!!! That was amazing--I can't believe their first challenge was 26.2 miles on a bike. I was glad to see those two teams were not really eliminated but will be back in 30 days.

14. loopey

loopey Well-Known Member

This is my first time watching this show. Did James say he lost 100 lbs in one month? How is that even possible?

15. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I think it was 2 months.

I was bummed about both of the teams eliminated during the bike challenge (although more about O'Neal and Sunshine), and then to have one of the twins going home first! :wuzrobbed

Amazing first week weight loss for so many teams. But I'm a bit worried that the producers will not be satisfied until someone drops dead during the first week :scream:

16. Jimena

Jimena Well-Known Member

They are.

At what time is the special about Eric?

17. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

Those were some huge numbers - I wonder if it was not really one week, but closer to 2or 3 weeks - a few days to a week after the hometown weigh-ins to get everyone there, get the medical tests done, and a week on the ranch.

18. Nan

Nan Just me

I forgot all about this and just tuned in at the weigh-in. There are a lot of really big people in this group and huge loss numbers for the first week.

I was thinking much the same thing.

19. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

I actually felt bad that any of this bunch had to leave so soon.

20. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

There were some during the weigh-in that I was hoping would be in the bottom, just because we hadn't heard much about them yet - but then when they told some of their story during weigh in I wanted them to do well. First elimination is such a killer!

One thing - is the brother who went home the one with the knee problem?

21. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

I watched part of this show for the first time, but all the grunting and crying really irked me. But I did like that nobody was being coddled.

And what is with the drawn out weigh in and kick off process? Is the hostess trying to impress us with her math skills? "Bob, you have two votes, if you get three more, you are off. Harry, you have one vote, if you get four more, you are off. Guys, there are three teams left. One of them needs to have a lower percentage loss than you, or one of you goes home." I wanted to pelt her with something. How about not having a two hour show if you have to draw it out that way?

That said, I'm partial to the pink team. Obviously. :D

22. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

Yes.

I don't like the "twist" of the first 2 teams going home for 30 days. As one of them said, they didn't get a chance to even experience the ranch for a short time. What did they learn that they could take home and apply to their lives? Even though one team comes back, they will miss out on some early ranch experiences. And the other team will have gotten nothing. :blah:

23. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

when Sunshine and ONeal left, didnt they say they were going to help them or something?

24. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I don't like it either - they didn't even get a week. And that gentleman needs a jump start so that (at a minimum) he can tie his own shoes.

25. jamesy

jamesy Well-Known Member

Oh, that's right. I forgot that Bob & Jillian said they were going to provide some help. :eek: While it won't be a full ranch experience, hopefully it will be more substantial than Bob showing up to make lunch with Jenni-O turkey or Jillian teaching them how to store portions in Ziploc freezer bags.

26. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

I expect that Bob and Jillian will show up to train them, but they didn't get that week 1 big number or group support. I especially felt that the Yellow Team needed that boost. The Blue Team daughter looked like she has it in her from what little we saw.

27. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

I thought it as incredibly cruel how they got their hopes up and eliminated them right away. Not right :(

28. Murdoch

Murdoch New Member

I think they need AT LEAST two weeks on the ranch before getting booted. OR rather than immunity challenges, if everyone finishes, everyone stays. Otherwise, it goes to vote.

Rob and (deleted member) like this.
  29. FiveRinger

9pm EST on Discovery Health Channel and it repeats 3 hrs later.

30. Jayar

Jayar Well-Known Member

I wish that they would send the first 10 or so eliminated players to the Fat Camp in Utah. I understand that it postpones the inevitable, but if they are truly committed to getting these people healthy, a month or two at the Fat Camp would help immensely. Or, they could at least keep them on the ranch for two weeks... first week, the team who wins the weigh in gets immunity for the next week, and then they eliminate two at the second weigh in. Help these people get "it" before they send them home.