Big Changes to Skate Canada Test Structure Announced Today

Discussion in 'Great Skate Debate' started by googooeyes, Oct 21, 2011.

1. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

Skate Canada changed their entire test structure today, eliminating competitive tests. The only tests that matter now are Junior Bronze and Gold.
    You can compete from your choice of pre juvenile to pre novice with a Junior Bronze test, and your choice of Novice to Senior with a gold test. period. There is an hour long video on their website outlining the new system on their website:
    http://www.skatecanada.ca/

2. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

Can skaters compete at, say, junior level if they've already competed as seniors?

3. googooeyes

googooeyes Member

That specific question was asked in the Q & A towards the end of the video session and the answer was yes.

4. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Any other changes to the StarSkate/non-competitive test stream? There was some talk of an adult test stream being added.

5. Rochelle

Rochelle Active Member

Thank you for the link to the video googooeyes.

I'm an American and have been involved in US Figure Skating for nearly 15 years, so my thoughts are irrelevant right now since I don't plan an defecting to Canada any time soon. ;)

This is veryyyy interesting.

I'd be interested in hearing the thoughts of any Canadian skaters, coaches, and officials.

How do you think this is going to impact the every-day skater? The impact for inspiring-elite/competitive skater? And the impact on likely-to-be-future international competitors?

I'll also be interested to see what impact this really seems to have in 5, 10, 25 years for Skate Canada figure skating overall. And if it appears to be working down the road, if the US will consider adopting.

6. sk8girl

sk8girl Member

No, nothing new there at the moment -- this week's info was all about the changes to competitive tests and categories.

My impression is that there are no serious plans to add an adult test stream. Skate Canada has consistently seen adults as fitting into the existing Starskate test structure, but with different adult competition categories and well-balanced program requirements. (Which, in my opinion, is working just fine, but I know there are some adults who may disagree with me on that :) )

7. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

It's working just fine at some levels, but it is causing serious problems of skill mismatch below the prelim/jr. bronze level. If SC added a pre-prelim test to the Starskate test structure it would do a lot to clear up those problems for skaters of all ages.

8. sk8girl

sk8girl Member

I believe that a pre-prelim starskate test *is* coming eventually, but I'm not sure when. I agree that that will help skaters of all ages.

9. mag

mag Well-Known Member

For those of you looking for the presentation material, you need to sign into the members only section (you need a valid Skate Canada number) and then look under technical program / LTAD / competitive restructure / power point presentation.

10. minx

minx New Member

http://www.ustream.tv/recorded/17993996

One of the section websites put up the recorded link. You'd still need members only access to see the slide package but they're shown on the screen during the presentation.

They talked about adults a bit, mostly about the pre-teen categories and opening up the age levels to 19 for adult.

11. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

This is in the pilot program stage. They are looking at introducing coach evaluated pre-prelim tests for freeskate, dance, and skills.

12. thumbyskates

thumbyskates Member

Actually - more than likely they'll be doing completely away with preliminary testing (dance and other wise) at an "official" level - leaving those only to coaches decide (sort of like Canskate badges), with official testing beginning only at the Jr Bronze level. This is being piloted at clubs starting September 2012.

Edited to add: Hahaha - sorry made_in_canada - just so your post after the fact ;)

13. fan

fan Well-Known Member

my coach also let me know that skills as we know them will be changing...so anyone who is close to getting their gold skills should hurry up and test.

14. made_in_canada

made_in_canada INTJ

At the BC section AGM last spring we were assured that that's a couple of years away. CanSkate is starting to be implemented next year and mandatory in fall 2013. The changes to StarSkate (with the Pre-Preliminary tests, and changes to Preliminary) will be a couple of years behind. I wouldn't panic about getting gold skills done.

15. thumbyskates

thumbyskates Member

Agreed. Skills will be changed in the near future, but they haven't even started piloting or testing them yet - quite a few years away!!!

16. Jasmar

Jasmar Active Member

Bizarre - what is the rationale/thinking behind this?

17. leafygreens

leafygreens Well-Known Member

I'd also like to know...

18. Really

Really No longer just a "well-known member" Yay!

I'm guessing there might be a couple things at work here, but they both tie into a relative scarcity of test judges to do StarSkate and the Competitive stream tests. By streamlining test qualifications, SC cuts down on the need for high level judges to be judging qualifying tests. It will also allow some flexibility to skaters as they progress through the test system -- if they've been in StarSkate, but then decide they'd like to try Sectionals, they won't have the expense of having to try another test.

Other countries don't require their competitive skaters to do a separate stream of tests; this would just bring SC in line with feds like the US.