Big Brother US (Season 15)

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Fridge_Break, Jun 21, 2013.

1. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

Agree. And while I do think she's said a lot of things that no one should ever say, I don't believe she's a racist, but rather someone who's heard lots of stuff like that all her life and didn't fully realize the implications. I do think that like many her age, she has a mean girl side and the insults and put downs often include things that cross the line into racism - but I don't think it's been intentional on her part. Too me, she says "go make rice" to an Asian person the same way she'd say "go eat rice" to a fat person. Neither is nice of course, but the point is that I don't think she realizes that some of what she says crosses that racist line.

But I do think, given the way she's been able to completely turn herself around in the game, that she's capable of learning from all this. I think after the initial shock and emotion of losing her contracts and the public reaction, I think she could very well learn from this and change her ways in the future. Word was that her family hired a PR person - probably to deal with the media bugging the family as much as anything, and because they are apparently private to the point that they did not sign CBS's waivers - and if that person is any good they will find a way for Aaryn to give some carefully placed interviews in the weeks following the show. If she is humble and shows that she fully understands things and carries herself with poise, I think she might get herself an entertainment career after all - especially if she uses the opportunity to try and do some good out there.

And wouldn't CBS do well but supporting her rehabilitation/redemption - Julie could invite her on The View for a heart to heart when all the dust has settled, and if it goes well, it could do everyone a lot of good.

2. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

But if they didn't try to manipulate anything, and just let the words of ALL the houseguests stand for themselves (meaning far more than Aaryn would have been outed for their vile comments on the show), things probably would have worked themselves out. Plus, BB is responsible for the cast, and they've been casting increasingly hateful people for years. I do wonder if we'll start seeing more of the things Amanda has said on the show, since she is quickly becoming the Official Villain. CBS screwed up when they chose her to be the Designated Keeping It Real contact with Aaryn about what she'd been saying.

Glad Jessie is making a mess for the rest on her way out. Funny thing about Jessie - I missed all the pre-show, and the first week, and I never would have guessed that she came in with that "I'm the hottest, where's my showmance" attitude. From the moment I've been following, she's been an "Elena"....a girl who wants so hard to be popular and liked, especially by the boys, but no one likes her and for whatever reason normal filters of how you treat a person don't exist, because the cool kids know that she'll keep begging for scraps no matter how poorly they treat her. No one listens to her even when she's right, and she couldn't buy an alliance.

3. Catherine M

Catherine M Well-Known Member

Its just not the racism that I have a problem with Aaryn, its all the other stuff. Someone on TWOP pulled a clip from early July where she admitted to getting into a fight with a gay guy and to put him in his place, she outed him to his fraternity. She was happy she had done that. The girl is just vile.

4. genevieve

oh, I've no doubt about that. that "whachoo gon do gurl" moment showed that her brain automatically goes to the darkest places to avenge the tiniest (perceived) slight. She just thinks that's an appropriate response. :scream:

I haven't checked on evicted houseguests for a while, but I wonder if Kaitlin and Nick are still saying how great she is, and how she's "not really like that"? I'm sure Jeremy is, but he probably does think everything she's said and done is totally hunky dory. :blah:

5. Catherine M

The only thing I have read is that Kaitlin said she wants nothing to do with Aaryn post show. I expect Nick is in hiding for the reminder of the year.

As for Jeremy, he'll probably try to hook up with Aaryn at the finale.

6. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

It was quite something :) In the intros to HGs on the first show, she said "I'm always the prettiest girl in the room" and then in the first moments after they went in the house, she said to a few of the guys something like "girls are always jealous of me, because ..." and then she just gestured to herself and the guys nodded. She really wanted a showmance in there too, and was upset when everyone but her was hooking up.

I really thought they had purposely cast another Delusional Danielle (and maybe that was their intent), but she's turned out to be a lot more than that. I don't think this experience will shake her initial views of herself though - her family and friends will likely feed that fire by telling her none of those boys were worth it and she definitely was prettier than any of those nasty girls. :p

Definitely vile, and inexcusable. And definitely deliberate and done with intent. But was it homophobic? Or would she equally have told his frat something else designed to embarrass him, like say that he wets the bed?

I think a true racist is hard to change, but I do think that a mean girl can grow up, realize what she's done, and become a better person.

Sounds like Nick is already active on the alumni circuit making friends with other past HGs, and he's likely looking forward to the party in Vegas. I do hope he lets GM down gently though, because as things get worse for her in the house and then really, really bad when she gets out, she seems to be hanging onto the idea of Nick in a very unhealthy way. I truly hope she has a supportive but not enabling family and close friends around her to get through this.

7. Catherine M

The fact that she called him "queer boy" in describing what went down I do believe Aaryn doesn't like gays along with being vile, racist, etc.

8. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'm reminded of an incident from years ago when he was still early in his competitive career - Yagudin apparently got in an altercation at a bar somewhere in the US and called the bouncer the N word. Now, it's entirely possible he's all kinds of racist and knew exactly what he was saying and what it meant. At the same time, I recall his English was still pretty bad at that point and I wondered if he really understood the history of the word and how unacceptable it is in America - after all, much of his exposure to American culture at that point would likely have been through American movies and music at that point, and if that's all you'd been exposed to, I could see where you might think this was a word that hip urban types use all the time. The big question would be whether or not he learned then or later what he it really meant, and if he continues to use the slur today, but I don't know the answer to that.

Similarly, if my gay friends are anything to go by, queer is a word that's thrown around both as a normal reference and sometimes in a derogatory way, plus it's publicly used by the community as well in reference to events for example. So again, while I don't disagree that what Aaryn did was nasty and came from a dark place in her heart, does it really demonstrate that she's a homophobe and wishes ill of all gay people, or does it mean that she's a mean girl who wanted to say something to hurt this particular gay man only?

Not trying to argue with you - just interested in the topic in general. It's been so prevalent this summer with Paula Deen then the Zimmerman trial and now Big Brother, and it's given me pause to think about the issues alot and I welcome the discussion and peoples' perspectives.

9. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I don't get the comments in this thread about respecting Aaryn's game play. She is a vile, racist, homophobic 22 year old ADULT. If she was 14, I might (might!!!) cut her some slack (but probably not). I'm sure there are Klan members who can play chess like nobody's business, but I would never say that I respected how well they play the game... :confused:

If I felt I had been mistreated, or alienated by people playing it safe instead of working with me to out bigger targets, I would do what Jessie is doing. Shine a light on all the secrets that have been kept quiet. Or maybe even tell secrets that aren't true...directing anger towards those who I feel have played the game hurtfully or deserve less than others to be there. You can still play a game if nobody wants to play "the" game with you. Those who go out quietly don't realize they can still affect the game in a big way by taking action before the door hits them on the way out! :lol:

Me too. At least there's youtube and people compiling clips of the horrid things people are saying and doing.

10. Sparks

Sparks Well-Known Member

I just finished last night's BBAD. Jesse and Helen got into an argument. Apparently there were dramatic house meetings over night. I HOPE Jesse goes out with a bang.

11. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

She can be all those things and yet also be playing BB well. How many times do we talk about a bitter jury who votes based on emotion and not recognizing gameplay? Just because people acknowledge that Aaryn's strategy seems to be working well for her now does not mean that they have forgotten what she's done and said in the past and are condoning it.

Jenny and (deleted member) like this.
  12. genevieve

has anyone actually used the word "respect" when it comes to Aaryn? Even about her gameplay?

13. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

This makes absolutely no sense. The most vile human being can be respected for things other than what makes them vile. Aaron's game play is not vile. It is worthy of respect (IMO). Her personal beliefs and personality are not. They are two separate things. You can refuse to acknowledge something all you want. It doesn't mean that it isn't there.

14. PeterG

PeterG Hanyuflated

I just personally would not speak of respect for someone who can play a game well who is so unworthy of respect in the larger scheme of things.

15. AliasJohnDoe

AliasJohnDoe Dornbush 2015!!!

16. Catherine M

Jessie's main problem right now is that under "normal" circumstances her big outing of Helen/Elissa/Andy could have resulted in the others thinking "wow, maybe we should keep her around to target Helen/Elissa/Andy" but unfortunately for her, Amanda wants her gone over jealousy. Ever since Aaryn told Amanda that Jessie thought that McCrae was "cute", Amanda has wanted Jessie out of the house. Last night when Jessie was alone with McCrae in the cockpit room, Amanda ran in there to grab him away.

So now Jessie can go off to the jury, tell Candice & Judd all about how she outed everyone which should make them happy. She did say last night that she can't wait to reunite with Judd to talk sh*t about everyone!

17. my little pony

my little pony snarking for AZE

does jessie still think mcrae is cute now that he wanders around like the sad cartoon in the abilify commercial and goes for days without bathing? it seems like amanda should think about updating her strategy.

18. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

The women in the house don't have a lot of options left. It can't be good for Spencer's ego that the women would rather fight over dirty Paula Poundstone Jr.

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  19. Catherine M

Jessie went around last night saying she was sorry for the way she acted. She had earlier told Spencer and I think Andy that being "mean" wasn't her true personality and she just wanted to sleep for the next two days to get things over with. Doubt it will make a difference but at least she's trying to mend fences.

McCrae and Amanda had their fake BB wedding last night. Only watched a few minutes of it as I find it all too stupid. With everything that went on with Jessie on Monday night, I don't know how much of it will be shown on Thursday's show especially if they want to work in a jury house segment with Candice/Judd.

20. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

HOH blogs are usually pretty boring, but Andy's is worth reading. He's eloquent, funny, reveals a lot of his strategy, and dishes about every other player, including those long gone - what more can you ask?

21. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

That looked even more well written compared to the mess GM put out the week before.

22. my little pony

gm said as many racist things as aryan but since she never learned to read or write based on her blog, i guess we are giving her a pass

23. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

If the people in the house STILL don't want to split McRanda up after the "wedding" then they will never get it. Can you be any more in your face about a F2 deal? Even if they don't have a F2 deal, it sure as hell looks like it based on that!

24. my little pony

if they are the f2, the other hgs deserve not to win and have no room to be bitter

25. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

So true. One of the major rules of BB or Survivor - break up a couple!

Amanda is just so annoying and smug. She is responsible for getting people out - the ones she can not control or don't kiss her ass. Why has everyone given her this power. Being a bully is coming across as strategy for Amanda.
    I almost don't care who wins, none deserve it. I am getting more curious as to how things will be post game for several of the players - and will we ever really learn how they feel, what they learn from this. I think now I am mostly watching - to be able to see if someone gets the balls and gets out Amanda. Otherwise this is, in Survivor terms, 'Pagong', whatever flavor Amanda does not like at the moment is out. So funny to see how she almost turned on Spencer because he did not follow her rules.

26. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

the only thing I was was really surprised about was that Demanda didn't try to make them throw the comp to her

smurfy and (deleted member) like this.
  27. smurfy

smurfy Well-Known Member

I love that name - just perfect!!!!!

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  28. Catherine M

Read on Sucks that the rumor going around is that Julie is suppose to announce tonight about the juror returning to the game, either Friday/Saturday of this week. If true, that means we'd be voting between Judd, Jessie and Candice.

And that the returnee will have "special powers".

If I do vote, I'm going to vote for Candice, just cause I want to see GM & Aaryn's heads explode.

29. my little pony

i wouldnt vote to bring back candice, she wasnt a good player. i'm not even sure she tried to be. i'd probably choose judd.

jamesy and (deleted member) like this.
  30. jamesy

jamesy wind up merchant

That's cute that they're going to pretend it's anyone other than Judd strolling in with Coup d'Etat.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.