BHA in store receipts

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Artemis@BC, Aug 30, 2010.

1. Artemis@BC

Artemis@BC Well-Known Member

Forget worrying about water bottles ... according to a new study, not only do thermal store receipts contain a significantly higher amount of bisphenol A (bpA), it's far more likely to be transferred from a receipt than from a plastic bottle.

Story here.

I'm pretty methodical about hand-washing before eating, and particularly after handling money or any "public" goods. But I can honestly say I never gave a second's thought to thermal store receipts, other than to get annoyed about how they curl up.

Another day, another health concern. *sigh*

2. iloveemoticons

iloveemoticons Well-Known Member

Yeah, I read about this. So far, I'm not too worried about it. I grind my teeth so I have to use a plastic Nite-guard every night...I'm pretty sure I'm getting all kinds of plastic toxins leeching out from that every night, so I'm just like, what's a little extra? :lol:

3. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I don't gum my receipts, so I think I'll be ok. Of course, I'm also old enough to have...
    1. Broken open thermometers to play with the mercury
    2. Mixed random chemicals in chem lab
    3. Lived in a house with, painted with, and fashioned fishing sinkers out of lead
    4. Rode my bike without a helmet or shoes
    5. Eaten food that has been left at room temp far longer than 2 hours
    6. Survived thousands of trips in the back of the station wagon. The old ones, all metal, no padding
    I'm not dead yet.

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  4. NancyNC

NancyNC Well-Known Member

A friend of mine saw that story in a US paper a few weeks back. I thought it particularly ironic that Whole Foods was one of the store that had the "toxic" receipts.

5. Sassafras

Sassafras Well-Known Member

Me,too!:lol:

6. Grannyfan

Grannyfan Active Member

Have done all this, too, as well as ride in the back of a pickup truck and in that little shelf area between the top of the back seat and the rear windshield. I've also drunk straight out of the water hose and consumed plenty of cake batter and raw cookie dough in my time. However, I did lose my big toe riding barefoot as a passenger on a bicycle while my sister pedaled.

Sassafras and (deleted member) like this.
  7. deltask8er

deltask8er Well-Known Member

I posted a similar thread last year

http://www.fsuniverse.net/forum/showthread.php?t=69595

http://sciencenews.org/view/generic/id/48084/title/Concerned_about_BPA_Check_your_receipts

A friend of mine has been concerned about it since his chemist roommate mentioned it. The chemist, however, said it is more of a concern with men handling it (estrogen) than women.

These type of receipts have been around for at least a decade. Have they done a study on people who handle these receipts regularly, like supermarket cashiers and waiters?

8. Sassafras

We used to lay on the shelf and wave to people. :cool:
    Doesn't everyone drink water straight out of the hose?
    And I still "sample" cake batter and raw cookie dough. :p
    I also eat rare hamburgers and steak tartare (raw meat and raw egg -yum!):wideeyes:

9. Norlite

Norlite Well-Known Member

That was always my place in the family car. :lol:

Also....

People never had baby seats when my first child was born either I remember me carrying him as an infant in my arms in the front seat. Without my wearing a seatbelt either. Now I panic if I need to drive 7 blocks down a quite street with my six year old grandaughter in the back seat with only a seat belt, not her booster.

When my second child was born five years later, infant seats were available, but not everyone used them. I did.

By the time my third was born, the hospital wouldn't release the baby without the seat.

10. Sassafras

It's amazing we're still alive :encore:

11. inthemiddle

inthemiddle Active Member

Sassafras,you make me hungry!

12. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I really miss raw hamburg meat. Of course, ours was from the local butcher who ground the cut my mother selected right then and there. I don't dare with the pre-packaged ground beef that's in the supermarket today.