Beyonce and Jay-Z are New Parents

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, Jan 8, 2012.

1. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

The Ari I knew is probably about 13 now? Not to derail the thread, but this child's grandparents cut off contact with the family because of him. The parents were nuts too. I was Den Leader to his older brother (who also had issues).

I guess the moral of this thread is don't hijack a hospital floor, and don't name your sons Ari? :shuffle:

2. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

I didn't think Moesha was all that bad. Last year on American Idol there was a girl named Ta-Tanisha. I thought that was awful. Your other examples are pretty bad too.

A common thing in the South is the double names which can be pretty bad. My parents didn't call us by our 1st & middle names but all my cousins went by both of theirs - Marilyn Ruth, Donald Glen, Sarah Kay, etc. Even worse is when the 2 names are shortened, so William Robert becomes Billy Bob or James Joseph becomes Jimmy Joe. :yikes:

Blue is a pretty common name around here but I've never heard of it for a girl. I guess she will set a trend.

3. Civic

Civic New Member

Musicians are some of the worst when it comes to giving their children offbeat names. Keith Richards' eldest daughter is named Dandelion. Not surprisingly, she goes by her middle name, Angela. Queen drummer, Roger Taylor, named one of his daughters, Tiger Lily. Jermaine Jackson named one of his sons, Jermajesty.

4. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Jermajesty has to be the worst. How do you say no to a kid named Jermajesty? :lol:

5. Civic

Civic New Member

One of my favorite NCIS storylines. NCIS associations aside, I do like the name Ariel for either gender. I've also seen an alternative spelling, Arielle, used for girls.

6. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I know a girl named Emma who named her daughter Amy, but spelled it Amme so they'd have matching but opposite names.

I also went to school with an Anita Dick :shuffle:

7. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm an Anita and I know how terrible that is. :scream: My sister has a gay friend on Facebook and whenever I comment on her posts, he always has to comment after me with "ANITA MANN!!!!" Which is apparently the name of a famous drag queen. I have yet to meet this friend and see if he greets me with that in person. :rofl:

That also means I have to be careful about taking another last name when I get married. My bf's name is probably a no-go - it's pronounced "polka." :shuffle: Although it's certainly better than Dick!

My ex-bf joked that he'd be willing to take whatever last name he and his wife wanted. His genius suggestion was his mother's maiden name, which was Seltzer. His wife, Elka, put the kibosh to that. :rofl: I told him he was terrible, LOL.

8. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I'm also an Anita, and the most I got teased about my name was my sister singing "Anita, Peter, Pumpkin Eater" and some guys calling me "Nit". My initials are "ALF" though, so I got teased (by my sister only) about that a bit :lol:. None of the Anitas I know were ever teased about their names. I don't mind it as a name at all, though it sounds formal as almost no one calls me Anita (I get called Neat or Neats for the most part, or Miss Anita because of my work).

9. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I was in a college class with a girl whose last name was Diechlich. Pronounced Diklik. I hope she didn't hyphenate it if she married. GREAT reason to take her spouse's last name.

10. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

That's actually pretty cool! :cool:

11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

It's alive! It's alive!!

That thing is amazing!

12. mkats

mkats New Member

There was a girl in my middle school whose last name was Hoar. She had a pretty good attitude about it and last I heard is trying to make it out there as a musician - her website starts right off by poking fun at herself for her name :)

13. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Isn't it? I don't need one but I want one! :eek:

14. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

If only it would lift itself in and out of the trunk too.

15. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

Maybe I'm missing something with English being my second language, but to me Anita is a normal, pretty girls name.

16. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

It's pronounced similarly to "I need a...." (insert whatever word here....) :)

17. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

The joke is not obvious with some accents (I had to explain it to my Spanish-speaking friend :lol: ), but how most Americans pronounce "Anita," it sounds like "I need a" said very fast.

It used to take me for a loop in elementary school when someone would say something like, "I need a pencil" in a particular speed. :lol:

So, "Anita Dick" is particularly terrible, "Anita Mann" is a good name for a gay drag queen, and "Anita Poka" is sure to attract some chuckles. :p

18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

19. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Nice.

20. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It should generate a lot of buzz :slinkaway

21. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

:rofl:

22. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:scream:

23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Whod'a thought this story would fly?

I wonder if the fly has a minature hair weave :rofl:.

24. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

As one of my Facebook friends said: If you like it then you should've put a wing on it. ;)

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:rofl:

26. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Dear boring people, complaining about interesting names. At least her name is memorable and interesting, whilst your names are boring. :yawn:

(No, I'm not at all bitter about the ridiculous Polish legal system making it extremely difficult for me to change my birth name to Ziggy :mad:)

Still, the child should have been called Pillow. :p

27. bek

bek Guest

The issue is that babies don't get to choose their "unique" names. And they can get teased etc about it as they get older. If the parent who thinks Bear is a fabulous name wanted to change name to it, it would be one thing. But to subject the poor unwilling child to it is another thing.

This being said "if" I ever had a child I might take a look at the list of popular names and choose a name that I like thats lower on the list.

28. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Babies also don't get to choose boring ass names that boring parents cruelly impose on them. :drama:

I'd be much more concerned about that, if I were you. :mitchell:

As a result of such decision, I am stuck with a name that I hate and that I shared with 4 other pupils in primary school. :drama:

Funny you mentioned that example because the correct spelling is Laetitia, as far as I am concerned. Letitia is a misspelling. :p

29. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

The good news is, the birth of his daughter apparently has made Jay-Z realize that calling women b*tches is not appropriate, so he will not be using that word in his songs anymore. Wow. Really. You thought it was fine until....man, that is such a cliche. "Now that I have a baby I realize X, Y, and Z" where X, Y, and Z are general concepts that most people understand before they have kids.

99 problems but originality ain't one.

30. Kruss

Kruss Not Auto-Tuned

Yeah, I thought that was ridiculous as well. His marriage didn't cure him of it, but parenthood did? Don't get me wrong, I think it's fine to make this decision now, but why didn't he bestow this on his wife, his mother or other female relatives that he loves, or hell, EVERY woman?