Beyonce and Jay-Z are New Parents

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, Jan 8, 2012.

1. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I had a student named Ari who had a lot of problems. A lot of problems. Could never use that name.

But in general, teachers and former teachers have a hard time naming children. This was brilliantly featured in an episode of How I Met Your Mother when Lily continually vetoed names because of kids she had taught.
  2. genegri

genegri Active Member

Yes I know. Most of the males I mentioned are from British families or are Jr / III.
    Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  3. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

If I were Beyonce and Jay-Z, I'd be getting one of these.

:eek:
  4. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

I once read a murder mystery featuring a police detective with a funky name investigating a murder at an MLA convention. One of the jokes in the book was that every time he met an English professor, he would brace himself for a comment about his name, only none of the professors even noticed, as they had all had so many students with odd names over the years.

I don't remember anything else about that book, but that part still makes me :D. Once you've taught Mwomba Mbomba, Sylvan Sylvan, Begonia Beggs, I Suk Whiteneck, and Cricket Pigg (to name a few of my favorites), well, a name has to be pretty out there to be out there. And you almost never meet someone with a name you've never heard before or consider unusual.
  5. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I Suk Whiteneck? Really? REALLY?
  6. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I knew an Ari from Cub Scouts. That child will grow into a serial killer. :scream:
    PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I think that's my favorite name. I wish I had a friend named I Suk Whiteneck.:lol:
  8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Or a talent agent. A show biz :sekret: says he is every bit the a$$hole he is portrayed in Entourage. And more. :yikes:
  9. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

:lol: Really!

I will admit that when I saw that one on the roster, there were some hickey jokes made. :shuffle:

Every now and then, I go back through old grade books and think, "I actually had a student named Pagan Peters? And I don't remember this person?" But some of them are more memorable than others.
  10. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

How old is he? Because this is a concern about the one I taught!

I had an Echo who excitedly came to tell me one day that her name was a word and in the dictionary. She somehow did not discover this until ninth grade.

I had a Sunny Dawn, so named because of the weather and time when she was born, who used both names.

I had Eukiah (boy) who went by Kiah until he realized that was why people thought he was a girl and was often called "Yuke" by his classmates, rhymes with "Nuke". And Fleming (girl) called "Flem" and oft treated to classmates clearing imaginary mucus from their throats while referring to her.

There are more. I have blocked them out.
  11. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

The Ari I knew is probably about 13 now? Not to derail the thread, but this child's grandparents cut off contact with the family because of him. The parents were nuts too. I was Den Leader to his older brother (who also had issues).

I guess the moral of this thread is don't hijack a hospital floor, and don't name your sons Ari? :shuffle:
  12. taf2002

taf2002 Well-Known Member

I didn't think Moesha was all that bad. Last year on American Idol there was a girl named Ta-Tanisha. I thought that was awful. Your other examples are pretty bad too.

A common thing in the South is the double names which can be pretty bad. My parents didn't call us by our 1st & middle names but all my cousins went by both of theirs - Marilyn Ruth, Donald Glen, Sarah Kay, etc. Even worse is when the 2 names are shortened, so William Robert becomes Billy Bob or James Joseph becomes Jimmy Joe. :yikes:

Blue is a pretty common name around here but I've never heard of it for a girl. I guess she will set a trend.
  13. Civic

Civic New Member

Musicians are some of the worst when it comes to giving their children offbeat names. Keith Richards' eldest daughter is named Dandelion. Not surprisingly, she goes by her middle name, Angela. Queen drummer, Roger Taylor, named one of his daughters, Tiger Lily. Jermaine Jackson named one of his sons, Jermajesty.
  14. jenny12

jenny12 Well-Known Member

Jermajesty has to be the worst. How do you say no to a kid named Jermajesty? :lol:
  15. Civic

Civic New Member

One of my favorite NCIS storylines. NCIS associations aside, I do like the name Ariel for either gender. I've also seen an alternative spelling, Arielle, used for girls.
  16. KikiSashaFan

KikiSashaFan Well-Known Member

I know a girl named Emma who named her daughter Amy, but spelled it Amme so they'd have matching but opposite names.

I also went to school with an Anita Dick :shuffle:
  17. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

I'm an Anita and I know how terrible that is. :scream: My sister has a gay friend on Facebook and whenever I comment on her posts, he always has to comment after me with "ANITA MANN!!!!" Which is apparently the name of a famous drag queen. I have yet to meet this friend and see if he greets me with that in person. :rofl:

That also means I have to be careful about taking another last name when I get married. My bf's name is probably a no-go - it's pronounced "polka." :shuffle: Although it's certainly better than Dick!

My ex-bf joked that he'd be willing to take whatever last name he and his wife wanted. His genius suggestion was his mother's maiden name, which was Seltzer. His wife, Elka, put the kibosh to that. :rofl: I told him he was terrible, LOL.
  18. Angelskates

Angelskates Well-Known Member

I'm also an Anita, and the most I got teased about my name was my sister singing "Anita, Peter, Pumpkin Eater" and some guys calling me "Nit". My initials are "ALF" though, so I got teased (by my sister only) about that a bit :lol:. None of the Anitas I know were ever teased about their names. I don't mind it as a name at all, though it sounds formal as almost no one calls me Anita (I get called Neat or Neats for the most part, or Miss Anita because of my work).
  19. barbk

barbk Well-Known Member

I was in a college class with a girl whose last name was Diechlich. Pronounced Diklik. I hope she didn't hyphenate it if she married. GREAT reason to take her spouse's last name.
  20. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

That's actually pretty cool! :cool:
  21. shan

shan Well-Known Member

It's alive! It's alive!!

That thing is amazing!
  22. mkats

mkats New Member

There was a girl in my middle school whose last name was Hoar. She had a pretty good attitude about it and last I heard is trying to make it out there as a musician - her website starts right off by poking fun at herself for her name :)
  23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Isn't it? I don't need one but I want one! :eek:
  24. Parsley Sage

Parsley Sage Well-Known Member

If only it would lift itself in and out of the trunk too.
  25. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

Maybe I'm missing something with English being my second language, but to me Anita is a normal, pretty girls name.
  26. PrincessLeppard

PrincessLeppard Pink Bitch

It's pronounced similarly to "I need a...." (insert whatever word here....) :)
  27. Anita18

Anita18 Well-Known Member

The joke is not obvious with some accents (I had to explain it to my Spanish-speaking friend :lol: ), but how most Americans pronounce "Anita," it sounds like "I need a" said very fast.

It used to take me for a loop in elementary school when someone would say something like, "I need a pencil" in a particular speed. :lol:

So, "Anita Dick" is particularly terrible, "Anita Mann" is a good name for a gay drag queen, and "Anita Poka" is sure to attract some chuckles. :p
  28. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

29. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

30. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It should generate a lot of buzz :slinkaway
  31. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

32. shan

shan Well-Known Member

:scream:
  33. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Whod'a thought this story would fly?

I wonder if the fly has a minature hair weave :rofl:.
  34. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

As one of my Facebook friends said: If you like it then you should've put a wing on it. ;)
    Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  35. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

:rofl:
  36. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Dear boring people, complaining about interesting names. At least her name is memorable and interesting, whilst your names are boring. :yawn:

(No, I'm not at all bitter about the ridiculous Polish legal system making it extremely difficult for me to change my birth name to Ziggy :mad:)

Still, the child should have been called Pillow. :p
  37. bek

bek Guest

The issue is that babies don't get to choose their "unique" names. And they can get teased etc about it as they get older. If the parent who thinks Bear is a fabulous name wanted to change name to it, it would be one thing. But to subject the poor unwilling child to it is another thing.

This being said "if" I ever had a child I might take a look at the list of popular names and choose a name that I like thats lower on the list.
  38. Ziggy

Ziggy Well-Known Member

Babies also don't get to choose boring ass names that boring parents cruelly impose on them. :drama:

I'd be much more concerned about that, if I were you. :mitchell:

As a result of such decision, I am stuck with a name that I hate and that I shared with 4 other pupils in primary school. :drama:

Funny you mentioned that example because the correct spelling is Laetitia, as far as I am concerned. Letitia is a misspelling. :p
  39. susan6

susan6 Well-Known Member

The good news is, the birth of his daughter apparently has made Jay-Z realize that calling women b*tches is not appropriate, so he will not be using that word in his songs anymore. Wow. Really. You thought it was fine until....man, that is such a cliche. "Now that I have a baby I realize X, Y, and Z" where X, Y, and Z are general concepts that most people understand before they have kids.

99 problems but originality ain't one.
  40. Kruss

Kruss Well-Known Member

Yeah, I thought that was ridiculous as well. His marriage didn't cure him of it, but parenthood did? Don't get me wrong, I think it's fine to make this decision now, but why didn't he bestow this on his wife, his mother or other female relatives that he loves, or hell, EVERY woman?