Beyonce and Jay-Z are New Parents

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, Jan 8, 2012.

1. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

2. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

in Denmark too, there are certain names you can't choose for your child - such as names for popular cartoon characters, or names spelled really silly. The welfare of the child ranks above the parents right to choose.

Some years ago, a woman wanted to name her son Christophpher (in Danish, the name can be normally spelled with 'ph' or 'ff'). She paid fines and everything until she changed it.

that being said, I don't Blue Ivy is that strange

3. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It's in Harlem.

4. Michalle

Michalle New Member

I think Ivy Blue Carter would sound a lot better, but by putting the adjective first, it makes it sound like a phrase not a name, and it's distracting.

5. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

The two vowel sounds (oo-ai) running into each other make it not as pleasing to my ears as the reverse, but her parents evidently like it, so I hope that little Blue Ivy does, too. If not, she can always change it to something different when she's older.

6. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

'Blue Ivy' sounds like the name of a place. "Hey, lets meet up at the Blue Ivy for drinks tonight", or "I'll book a room for 3 days and 2 nights at the Blue Ivy." :)

She will end up being referred to just as 'Blue' (or even B.I.) for most of her life anyway.

7. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

or "BI-yonce", even scarier. :yikes:

8. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

More the Upper East side no? It's on E. 77th street. There could be an affiliate from the same hospital system in Harlem though.

The hospital was definitely in the wrong there - especially for NICU access. :mad: I can't believe they hadn't planned better. I'm also curious why it was even such an issue unless the NICU and well baby nurseries were immediately adjoining, but that's not been the case in my experience. Unless Blue Ivy was actually there for some reason?

9. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Yes, really.

10. The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot Demon Barber

Yes, it's on the Upper East Side - hoity toity - not at all Harlem. Lenox Hill hospital is not on Lenox Ave (which is Harlem).

11. Louise

Louise Banned Member

I'm assuming the name "Ariel"? Lion of god. One of my close friends named her son Ariel and he goes by Ari.

12. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I love that name Ari. Used to love it, that is until Ari Emanuel ruined it for me.

13. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

^^this^^

14. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

Even made it's way into the Ellen Degeneres show, where Ellen reveals to her audiance that there is a "Celebrity Baby Name Generator" available, (similar to the Sarah Palin Baby Name Generator, though this was never mentioned on her show). Two names that came up if she & partner Portia DeRossi were to have kids were:
    Elbow Gas Lamp & Banjo Fire Escape :lol: Any worse than Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence :dog:

15. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

No. Harlem Hospital is an HHC hospital; Lennox Hill is not. Harlem is part of the Generations Plus network in Northern Manhattan/South Bronx which also includes Lincoln Hospital & Metropolitan Hospital.

16. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Ariel, by chance? I have an aunt named Ariel, and she's from the Sephardic Jewish branch of my family.

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  17. genegri

genegri Active Member

^ One of my cousins is named Ariel. And yes, he is a guy. He was born in Israel though so I am sure it wasn't an issue when he was named.

I know quite a few males with names like Ashley, Dana, Lesley. And I know a couple of female Charlie's. I have to admit I am no fond of their names.

18. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Ariel can be a male name in Spanish speaking countries too.

19. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Ashley, Dana, Lesley/Leslie and Vivian were all male names long before they were given to girls.

I couldn't use Ari for a boy but that's because I'm an NCIS fan. Imagine having to explain the two-part episode called "Kill Ari I & II"....

20. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I know a male Ariel. I think it's a very nice name.

I also like Blue. Agree that Blue Ivy has a strange ring to it, but honestly, are people really going to be calling the kid by her first and middle names all the time? That's pretty rare. Blue Carter sounds fine.

21. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

I had a student named Ari who had a lot of problems. A lot of problems. Could never use that name.

But in general, teachers and former teachers have a hard time naming children. This was brilliantly featured in an episode of How I Met Your Mother when Lily continually vetoed names because of kids she had taught.

22. genegri

genegri Active Member

Yes I know. Most of the males I mentioned are from British families or are Jr / III.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2012
  23. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

If I were Beyonce and Jay-Z, I'd be getting one of these.

:eek:

24. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

I once read a murder mystery featuring a police detective with a funky name investigating a murder at an MLA convention. One of the jokes in the book was that every time he met an English professor, he would brace himself for a comment about his name, only none of the professors even noticed, as they had all had so many students with odd names over the years.

I don't remember anything else about that book, but that part still makes me :D. Once you've taught Mwomba Mbomba, Sylvan Sylvan, Begonia Beggs, I Suk Whiteneck, and Cricket Pigg (to name a few of my favorites), well, a name has to be pretty out there to be out there. And you almost never meet someone with a name you've never heard before or consider unusual.

25. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

I Suk Whiteneck? Really? REALLY?

26. dbell1

dbell1 Well-Known Member

I knew an Ari from Cub Scouts. That child will grow into a serial killer. :scream:

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  27. Badams

Badams Well-Known Member

I think that's my favorite name. I wish I had a friend named I Suk Whiteneck.:lol:

28. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Or a talent agent. A show biz :sekret: says he is every bit the a$$hole he is portrayed in Entourage. And more. :yikes:

29. Prancer

Prancer Jawwalking Staff Member

:lol: Really!

I will admit that when I saw that one on the roster, there were some hickey jokes made. :shuffle:

Every now and then, I go back through old grade books and think, "I actually had a student named Pagan Peters? And I don't remember this person?" But some of them are more memorable than others.

30. PDilemma

PDilemma Well-Known Member

How old is he? Because this is a concern about the one I taught!

I had an Echo who excitedly came to tell me one day that her name was a word and in the dictionary. She somehow did not discover this until ninth grade.

I had a Sunny Dawn, so named because of the weather and time when she was born, who used both names.

I had Eukiah (boy) who went by Kiah until he realized that was why people thought he was a girl and was often called "Yuke" by his classmates, rhymes with "Nuke". And Fleming (girl) called "Flem" and oft treated to classmates clearing imaginary mucus from their throats while referring to her.

There are more. I have blocked them out.