Beyonce and Jay-Z are New Parents

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, Jan 8, 2012.

1. Veronika

Veronika gold dust woman

My gut reaction when someone gives their child a crazy name is to think that the parents don't really care that much about the kid. :lol: Not sure why!

2. Bostonfan

Bostonfan Well-Known Member

This story is circulating about a dad of premmies who tangled with Beyonce's security. If true, it's kind of crummy.

http://www.nydailynews.com/new-york...ned-lenox-hill-private-club-article-1.1002985

“I know they spent $1.3 million and I'm just a contractor from Bed-Stuy, but the treatment we received was not okay,” Coulon said. “My wife is just terribly upset. She had a C-section. She gave birth to twins. She is sore. Nobody needs this.”

Coulon insisted he wasn’t the only new parent upset by the hip-hop hassles in the hospital.

“This is the NICU. Nobody cares if you’re a celebrity. Nobody is star-gazing. They just want to see their children,” fumed Coulon, whose wife, whose wife delivered two premature and underweight girls on Wednesday.

“To have that circus roll into town and ruin our parade was unpleasant,” he said.

My feeling is that if Jay-Z and Beyonce were THAT concerned about security, and given the fact that they are multi-millionaires, then they should have set up a private hospital and staff in their own home. It's not like it's not big enough to accomodate a temporary hospital set-up with all of the same equipment and personnel that you'd find a standard maternity ward.

I doubt either of them knew this was an issue. I would imagine that Beyonce would be upset by this story, being a new mom and all. Probably a case of the private security guards taking matters into their own hands and going too far. If they were concerned about paparrazi, just request no cameras for anyone on the floor, and give the other parents on the ward a ID bracelet or something.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  3. FiveRinger

FiveRinger Well-Known Member

This is pretty bad. And considering that there was a bunch of money being spent to redecorate the room, someone could have taken more preparation in dealing with security issues. I'm sure her C-section was well planned also, well in advance. The media was given a due date of February to help guard the couple's privacy I'm sure, but it's not right that in "celebrity" no one considered the fact that there are other parents/families who want to visit and see their loved-ones, also. Treating one person like a celebrity shouldn't mean minimizing the importance of others.

What is surprising is that this is New York, not some small town, but one of the entertainment capitals of the world. Whoever "planned" this event dropped the ball. There's no excuse for this, if it's true.

4. bek

bek Guest

Its absolutely ridiculous that they were able to buy a hospital. I hope they and the hospital get sued.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2012
  5. sk9tingfan

sk9tingfan Well-Known Member

Lenox Hill has long been the bastion of the rich and famous. Who knows if Beyonce and J-Z didn't promise other funds that would further pad Lenox Hill's endowment fund. :(

6. bek

bek Guest

But people say that even other celebrity hospitals don't go this far. Beyonce and JZ paid out over a million. As I said before what if a parent lost their child and was prevented from seeing said child, due this people's callousness. Apparently even the royal families don't do this one. They rent out a small corner of a hospital (corner) where they can keep security intact but not disturb other families.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2012
  7. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I'll would have named her Unbeyonce :EVILLE: (Not 'of' Beyonce) :shuffle:

IceAlisa, Nell411, PDilemma and 3 others like this.
  8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Right, finally someone's addressing my question whether she really was pregnant or had a surrogate sign a confidentiality agreement.

Rex and (deleted member) like this.
  9. bek

bek Guest

Apparently some mothers are talking about suing.

10. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Suing whom for what?

11. bek

bek Guest

The hospital for apparently forcing their families to leave waiting rooms etc. Apparently some women were even made to move rooms. Its actually "not" normal for patients to hate celebrities security teams while having babies. People were saying that the patients loved the Travolta's who were apparently nice and the security team helped everyone involved.

12. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

That's because they're Scientologists and they believe that a baby should be born in complete silence. Even the mother isn't supposed to make any noise. :sekret:

13. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

Not that celebs aren't ridiculous, but is this just an issue of the hospital being totally unprepared for deal with celeb demands, while drooling over the money, and thus not planning for how other new parents would access their kids? I think this may be more the hospitals fault.

14. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

And WHY would they pick this hospital out of all the (no offense to Lenox) top rate hospitals in the world? :sekret:

15. Civic

Civic New Member

Here's my take on it, for what it's worth: I think in many cases the parents are either being ignorant or pretentious or both. Some names are just too damn precious. You just know the parents wanted to give their offspring a name no else had. Heck, I once met a female student named Unique. Don't get me started on names with weird alternative spellings. Many alternative spellings are deliberate. With others the parents didn't know any better. "Latisha" is a good example of the latter. I suspect that way back when, some uneducated mother heard the name "Letitia" and decided to bestow it upon her infant daughter. Some of her equally uneducated friends and neighbors liked it and passed it onto their daughters along with the mispelling. For the record, I admit that I am a terrible name snob.

Be that as it may, I'm happy that little Blue came into the world healthy and wanted. Congrats to her parents.

16. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

So am I. To the point where I have to hold back guffaws when I hear some people's names. Especially from the South - Charlesetta, Joetha, Modestine, Pleasantine (a distant relative, actually :eek:) or some made up crazy name. I couldn't even watch Moesha because I thought that the character's name was horrid. And don't forget Gwyneth naming her daughter Apple or the actor from My Name is Earl naming his son Pilot something or other - do they wanna scar these kids for life? My brother and his ex are major twats, but they did give their brood decent names at least.

17. Prancer

Prancer Dysteleological Staff Member

I like Blue a whole lot better than Ivy myself, but I think the juxtaposition is unfortunate. allezfred has it right--Batman villain.

But I don't consider either name particularly strange and think it's kind of :confused: when people complain about "made up" names. All of our names were made up at some point. I also don't get why people think that having an unusual name is a surefire sentence to a lifetime of mocking on the playground, either.

But we've been down this path many times before.

18. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I caught hell for my name!

19. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

20. Prancer

No, you didn't. Not really.

If kids want to make fun of you, they will. If your name happens to be a convenient way to do it, they'll use that, especially if it upsets you and you let it show. But if it isn't your name, it will be something else--your nose or your feet or that twitch you didn't have until they all started mocking it. Something.

But if they don't want to make fun of you, you could be named Penis Aloyisius Cornpone, and it wouldn't matter. They would nickname you Pac or Pen or something friendly and cute, and they would pick you first for the team.

rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  21. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Was Rex actually saying that he "caught hell" because of is name? Because I didn't read it exactly that way. More like his name was a focus of teasing/torment.

22. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I sort of like the name Blue and was sure I had heard it before. A quick google search and there it was. The Edge from U2 named their third child Blue Angel. Pretty sure I've read the name in a book at some point as well. Not so weird for me considering some of the names celebrities come up with and better a colour than a fruit imo :D I do agree though that read together, Blue Ivy, isn't the best combination but at least the child will grow up with a choice of two relatively sane names to pick from unlike poor Moon Unit.

23. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Thinking of witty user title and coming up blank

I like Blue and I like Ivy but the two put together just sounds wrong in my head. What's more pretentious than the name is the treatment that other parents received. I don't know whose fault it is but that's just wrong.

24. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

One of the names I considered for Mini Ice was a common enough Israeli name for boys. However, in this country it's instantly recognizable as a girl's name AND a Disney princess :yikes:. Relatives petitioned me to think it over. I did research and found a little boy, around 10 years old with that name. He told me he was teased relentlessly.

So I dropped it. What was I thinking?

25. Prancer

And I repeat:

If kids want to make fun of you, they will. If your name happens to be a convenient way to do it, they'll use that, especially if it upsets you and you let it show.

The name itself is irrelevant. You could have any name, from plain Jane to something truly out there, and it won't make any difference in terms of whether other kids make fun of you or not.

Or do you think it would have bothered Rex less if they had made fun of him for something other than his name?

26. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

Ariel?

IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  27. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

I don't really know Lenox. Is it off the beaten path?

28. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

It can only be the hospital's fault.

29. moojja

moojja Active Member

ITA, I had a normal, plain name, and kids still made fun of it.

If you're parents are Jay-Z and Beyonce, your name is the least of your issue.

30. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Fortunately for poor little Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii, not in every country (I think the New Zealand judge actually terminated parental rights over that one, possibly on the grounds that no one that stupid should be responsible for a child....)