Beyonce and Jay-Z are New Parents

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by skipaway, Jan 8, 2012.

1. bek

bek Guest

The hospital for apparently forcing their families to leave waiting rooms etc. Apparently some women were even made to move rooms. Its actually "not" normal for patients to hate celebrities security teams while having babies. People were saying that the patients loved the Travolta's who were apparently nice and the security team helped everyone involved.
  2. Southpaw

Southpaw Saint Smugpawski

That's because they're Scientologists and they believe that a baby should be born in complete silence. Even the mother isn't supposed to make any noise. :sekret:
  3. Hannahclear

Hannahclear Well-Known Member

Not that celebs aren't ridiculous, but is this just an issue of the hospital being totally unprepared for deal with celeb demands, while drooling over the money, and thus not planning for how other new parents would access their kids? I think this may be more the hospitals fault.
  4. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

And WHY would they pick this hospital out of all the (no offense to Lenox) top rate hospitals in the world? :sekret:
  5. Civic

Civic New Member

Here's my take on it, for what it's worth: I think in many cases the parents are either being ignorant or pretentious or both. Some names are just too damn precious. You just know the parents wanted to give their offspring a name no else had. Heck, I once met a female student named Unique. Don't get me started on names with weird alternative spellings. Many alternative spellings are deliberate. With others the parents didn't know any better. "Latisha" is a good example of the latter. I suspect that way back when, some uneducated mother heard the name "Letitia" and decided to bestow it upon her infant daughter. Some of her equally uneducated friends and neighbors liked it and passed it onto their daughters along with the mispelling. For the record, I admit that I am a terrible name snob.

Be that as it may, I'm happy that little Blue came into the world healthy and wanted. Congrats to her parents.
  6. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

So am I. To the point where I have to hold back guffaws when I hear some people's names. Especially from the South - Charlesetta, Joetha, Modestine, Pleasantine (a distant relative, actually :eek:) or some made up crazy name. I couldn't even watch Moesha because I thought that the character's name was horrid. And don't forget Gwyneth naming her daughter Apple or the actor from My Name is Earl naming his son Pilot something or other - do they wanna scar these kids for life? My brother and his ex are major twats, but they did give their brood decent names at least.
  7. Prancer

Prancer Ray Chill Staff Member

I like Blue a whole lot better than Ivy myself, but I think the juxtaposition is unfortunate. allezfred has it right--Batman villain.

But I don't consider either name particularly strange and think it's kind of :confused: when people complain about "made up" names. All of our names were made up at some point. I also don't get why people think that having an unusual name is a surefire sentence to a lifetime of mocking on the playground, either.

But we've been down this path many times before.
  8. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

I caught hell for my name!
  9. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

10. Prancer

No, you didn't. Not really.

If kids want to make fun of you, they will. If your name happens to be a convenient way to do it, they'll use that, especially if it upsets you and you let it show. But if it isn't your name, it will be something else--your nose or your feet or that twitch you didn't have until they all started mocking it. Something.

But if they don't want to make fun of you, you could be named Penis Aloyisius Cornpone, and it wouldn't matter. They would nickname you Pac or Pen or something friendly and cute, and they would pick you first for the team.
    rfisher and (deleted member) like this.
  11. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Was Rex actually saying that he "caught hell" because of is name? Because I didn't read it exactly that way. More like his name was a focus of teasing/torment.
  12. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

I sort of like the name Blue and was sure I had heard it before. A quick google search and there it was. The Edge from U2 named their third child Blue Angel. Pretty sure I've read the name in a book at some point as well. Not so weird for me considering some of the names celebrities come up with and better a colour than a fruit imo :D I do agree though that read together, Blue Ivy, isn't the best combination but at least the child will grow up with a choice of two relatively sane names to pick from unlike poor Moon Unit.
  13. modern_muslimah

modern_muslimah Well-Known Member

I like Blue and I like Ivy but the two put together just sounds wrong in my head. What's more pretentious than the name is the treatment that other parents received. I don't know whose fault it is but that's just wrong.
  14. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

One of the names I considered for Mini Ice was a common enough Israeli name for boys. However, in this country it's instantly recognizable as a girl's name AND a Disney princess :yikes:. Relatives petitioned me to think it over. I did research and found a little boy, around 10 years old with that name. He told me he was teased relentlessly.

So I dropped it. What was I thinking?
  15. Prancer

And I repeat:

If kids want to make fun of you, they will. If your name happens to be a convenient way to do it, they'll use that, especially if it upsets you and you let it show.

The name itself is irrelevant. You could have any name, from plain Jane to something truly out there, and it won't make any difference in terms of whether other kids make fun of you or not.

Or do you think it would have bothered Rex less if they had made fun of him for something other than his name?
  16. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

Ariel?
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  17. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I don't really know Lenox. Is it off the beaten path?
  18. marbri

marbri Hey, Kool-Aid!

It can only be the hospital's fault.
  19. moojja

moojja Active Member

ITA, I had a normal, plain name, and kids still made fun of it.

If you're parents are Jay-Z and Beyonce, your name is the least of your issue.
  20. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Fortunately for poor little Talula Does the Hula From Hawaii, not in every country (I think the New Zealand judge actually terminated parental rights over that one, possibly on the grounds that no one that stupid should be responsible for a child....)
  21. NinjaTurtles

NinjaTurtles Teenage Mutant

22. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Well-Known Member

in Denmark too, there are certain names you can't choose for your child - such as names for popular cartoon characters, or names spelled really silly. The welfare of the child ranks above the parents right to choose.

Some years ago, a woman wanted to name her son Christophpher (in Danish, the name can be normally spelled with 'ph' or 'ff'). She paid fines and everything until she changed it.

that being said, I don't Blue Ivy is that strange
  23. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

It's in Harlem.
  24. Michalle

Michalle New Member

I think Ivy Blue Carter would sound a lot better, but by putting the adjective first, it makes it sound like a phrase not a name, and it's distracting.
  25. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

The two vowel sounds (oo-ai) running into each other make it not as pleasing to my ears as the reverse, but her parents evidently like it, so I hope that little Blue Ivy does, too. If not, she can always change it to something different when she's older.
  26. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

'Blue Ivy' sounds like the name of a place. "Hey, lets meet up at the Blue Ivy for drinks tonight", or "I'll book a room for 3 days and 2 nights at the Blue Ivy." :)

She will end up being referred to just as 'Blue' (or even B.I.) for most of her life anyway.
  27. VALuvsMKwan

VALuvsMKwan Wandering Goy

or "BI-yonce", even scarier. :yikes:
  28. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

More the Upper East side no? It's on E. 77th street. There could be an affiliate from the same hospital system in Harlem though.

The hospital was definitely in the wrong there - especially for NICU access. :mad: I can't believe they hadn't planned better. I'm also curious why it was even such an issue unless the NICU and well baby nurseries were immediately adjoining, but that's not been the case in my experience. Unless Blue Ivy was actually there for some reason?
  29. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Yes, really.
  30. The Village Idiot

The Village Idiot Demon Barber

Yes, it's on the Upper East Side - hoity toity - not at all Harlem. Lenox Hill hospital is not on Lenox Ave (which is Harlem).
  31. Louise

Louise Banned Member

I'm assuming the name "Ariel"? Lion of god. One of my close friends named her son Ariel and he goes by Ari.
  32. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

I love that name Ari. Used to love it, that is until Ari Emanuel ruined it for me.
  33. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

^^this^^
  34. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Well-Known Member

Even made it's way into the Ellen Degeneres show, where Ellen reveals to her audiance that there is a "Celebrity Baby Name Generator" available, (similar to the Sarah Palin Baby Name Generator, though this was never mentioned on her show). Two names that came up if she & partner Portia DeRossi were to have kids were:
    Elbow Gas Lamp & Banjo Fire Escape :lol: Any worse than Heavenly Hiraani Tiger Lily Hutchence :dog:
  35. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

No. Harlem Hospital is an HHC hospital; Lennox Hill is not. Harlem is part of the Generations Plus network in Northern Manhattan/South Bronx which also includes Lincoln Hospital & Metropolitan Hospital.
  36. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Ariel, by chance? I have an aunt named Ariel, and she's from the Sephardic Jewish branch of my family.
    IceAlisa and (deleted member) like this.
  37. genegri

genegri Active Member

^ One of my cousins is named Ariel. And yes, he is a guy. He was born in Israel though so I am sure it wasn't an issue when he was named.

I know quite a few males with names like Ashley, Dana, Lesley. And I know a couple of female Charlie's. I have to admit I am no fond of their names.
  38. Lara

Lara Well-Known Member

Ariel can be a male name in Spanish speaking countries too.
  39. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Ashley, Dana, Lesley/Leslie and Vivian were all male names long before they were given to girls.

I couldn't use Ari for a boy but that's because I'm an NCIS fan. Imagine having to explain the two-part episode called "Kill Ari I & II"....
  40. genevieve

genevieve drinky typo pbp, closet hugger Staff Member

I know a male Ariel. I think it's a very nice name.

I also like Blue. Agree that Blue Ivy has a strange ring to it, but honestly, are people really going to be calling the kid by her first and middle names all the time? That's pretty rare. Blue Carter sounds fine.