Beware mistresses of cheating spouses

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Autumm_wind, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Autumm_wind

Autumm_wind New Member

From Telegraph.co.uk: Wife's $9m victory in adultery case warns mistresses to 'lay off'
    by Nick Allen

Bolded by me.

How many FSUers are from North Carolina, Illinois, Mississippi, New Mexico, South Dakota, Utah or Hawaii? :shuffle:

2. bek

bek Guest

Oooh... I'm wondering if Elin and Tiger own any houses in those particular states.

3. mpal2

mpal2 Well-Known Member

I wonder any of the states listed are the one that still allows a woman to marry her house? It had something to do with getting around the treatment as property and allowed single women to keep their homes.

4. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

This case and win are a joke. Pardon the cliche, but it takes two to tangle. People love to throw their public anger at the mistress(es) first, but no one forced the husband to have an affair. Take it out on the husband!

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  5. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I agree, but it's much easier to blame the other woman nine times out of ten.

I hope the husband was taken to the cleaners if this woman was successfully sued.

6. milanessa

milanessa engaged to dupa

I don't know if this was deliberate or a typo/brain fart but I love it! :lol:

7. skatingfan5

skatingfan5 Well-Known Member

Not sure if it is the cheating spouse and the mistress/boyfriend or the cheated upon spouse and the other woman/man who are the ones doing the tangling. If the latter, I'm envisioning something that the WWF might try to market -- wife/mistress death match. :yikes:

milanessa and (deleted member) like this.
  8. milanessa

:lol:

9. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

So in essence she is saying he is worth 9 million dollars? Or that she is worth 9 million dollars to repair her self esteem?

I get it that she is angry, I get that she would want some revenge, but ? I am not sure what the real motive is here

10. mysticchic

mysticchic Well-Known Member

This might be a big settlement, but it happens a lot. I know of a laywer in Chicago who handles these cases and wins a lot.

11. bobalina77

bobalina77 Duck Hunter

I think that as long as she went after him as well (by divorcing him and taking him to the cleaners) then power to her. I suppose she would have to prove that the mistress knew he was married though.

12. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Um... I think my name will be put on the list of people who are undatable for mispelling and/or being careless with words :lol: I meant tango but now that you pointed out, I kind of like tangle better :biggrinbo.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  13. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

the jury set the award price, not the wife.

she probably won't get any of it, as the slut... sorry, I mean "other woman", isn't rich.

it may help her get some alimony from her well off deadbeat ex. though.

14. StonewshMullet

StonewshMullet New Member

The ex-husband came forward to defend the OW by stating that he had numerous affairs over the course of his marriage and that he had gone through marriage counseling on 3 different occasions and nothing worked. I think the OW did the wife a favor by taking his pathetic cheating ass of her hands. Let him be someone elses problem. That being said, this suit is designed to warn women who like to chase after married men that it may have a much higher price tag then you expect.

15. shan

shan Well-Known Member

It must be something about that area. In the 90's there was an alienation of affection lawsuit in Burlington (less than 30 minutes from Greensboro). The wife in that case received $1 million dollars. And it was made into a TV movie with Park Overall and Laura Innes.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,986856-2,00.html

16. IceKween

IceKween New Member

Let's face it. Many men are *ssholes. They cheat. I have to say I'm glad this law is still on the books in those states. Any person who wants to sleep with a married man might think again before they do it. Men like to have sex, and sometimes it is up to the OTHER party to say NO. Get divorced, get the ring off, then we'll talk. In fact, I wish this law was in all 50 states.
    If someone is all pro- protection of marriage, they should be behind these laws and make it a referendum in every state. Of course, it's easier to just hate TEH GAY, then to look at their own problems in the mirror.

17. Autumm_wind

Autumm_wind New Member

Darling! I would never dream of cheating on you. <3

I couldn't afford it..

ETA: Christ, as someone who posted the article I could at least remember who is the paying party. :shuffle:

Last edited: Mar 25, 2010
  18. allyx82

allyx82 New Member

I DON'T THINK SHE WILL EVERY GET THAT MUCH MONEY .. I THINK THE WHOLE POINT OF IT WAS TO PUBLICIZE THE MISTRESS AND DRAG HER NAME THOUGH DIRT WHICH i CAN UNDERSTAND.. I WOULD BE VERY BITTER TOO AFTER 33 YEARS OF MARRIAGE..BUT HONESTLY THIS IS JUST WRONG..THIS LAW NEEDS TO CHANGE..

"Lundquist was dean of a private school in North Carolina when she became entangled with Allan Shackelford, a married lawyer. Shackelford separated from his wife of 33 years and the two moved to New York, where Lundquist is now dean of students at a small college. In 2007, she was slapped with a lawsuit for &#8220;alienation of affection&#8221; by Cynthia Shackelford, and last week the verdict came in: The jury awarded $9 million to the spurned wife.

"I don't have a lot of money, so where this $9 million comes from is kind of hysterical," Lundquist"
    http://www.latimes.com/news/opinion/editorials/la-ed-marriage26-2010mar26,0,731392.story

19. milanessa

We can hear you just fine with your indoor voice.;)

20. Prancer

Prancer The "specialness" that is Staff Member

Yes, we can. Caps AND bold? Overkill.

21. bek

bek Guest

Right because men are the only ones who cheat. Women don't. I'll have you know that statistics are starting to say that women are now about just as likely to cheat.

To be quite frank I'm kind of tired of blame the husband talk? IF you know that someone is married, its horribly wrong to get involved with him. Do onto others and all of that. Plus there are women who purposely go after married men. (And vice a versa) That's not okay, and those people don't deserve a free pass. Now of course if the woman or the man doesn't know the other person is married its a whole different scenario.

22. allyx82

allyx82 New Member

sorry had it on caps..

23. Carmen Ovsiannikov

Carmen Ovsiannikov New Member

:respec:

I agree that it takes two to Tango and IMO both parties should share the blame. In the past it used to be the mistress taking a large part of the blame but lately things seem to have changed. I'm so sick of seeing women who willingly enter into affairs with married men all of a sudden play the victim once the affair is discovered.

If I see one more of Tiger Woods' tramps (he's a jerk as well but at least he is being seen as such) whine to the press about being hurt and angry and then have the nerve to say they deserve an apology......those skanks should be trying to bring as little attention to themselves as possible rather than hiring Gloria Alred (don't get me started on her) then going public as if they have been victimized.

Okay, off my soapbox.

24. millyskate

millyskate Well-Known Member

hm, actually I find it's often the opposite. People always blame the cheating spouse, and that makes sense.
    But I find people like to ease their consciences by putting all the responsibility on the shoulders of the married party, when they are willingly contributing to making a situation ugly.

That said, court cases... :wall: Money doesn't solve anything once tings have gone too far.

25. screech

screech Well-Known Member

Not that I'm condoning it or anything, but I feel bad for mistresses/other persons who do not know that the person they're sleeping with are married. There are a lot of devious bastards out there. It's when they DO know that pisses me off.

Didn't one of Jesse James' OW say that she didn't know he was married? I mean seriously... it's not like Sandra is well known and mentions her hubby or anything in the news, or like Donald Trump tried to get him to exploit their relationship on Celeb Apprentice or anything... to me, that just means she's stupid AND slutty.

26. Andora

Andora Well-Known Member

I agree. And what an awful predicament they're sucked into if they go along for awhile without knowing about being the other woman. It's one thing to say "I'd never fall for a married man" or being able to shut it down immediately. But what if you're deeply in love and then SURPRISE! I still don't think it's right to stay with him/her, but I tend to have a touch more sympathy then.

But those cases are ridiculously rare.

27. MOIJTO

MOIJTO Banned Member

You gotta love this. :rolleyes: I think a far better solution would be to give the women daggers and put the cheating husband between them and see who wins!

mag and (deleted member) like this.
  28. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

That was what happened with Amber Frye and Scott Peterson. She came very close to end up being at the bottom of the San Francisco Bay :eek:.

29. slicekw

slicekw Poster of Pet Vines

I used to live in NC and know a few people that used this law to make sure that they were financially on their feet after a spouse cheated and a divorce happened. Sometimes it was money from the offending party (one case was a husband getting money from the "other man,") and another was a woman getting a needed settlement from the soon-to-be-ex. Without that money, she would have lost her home.

30. Tinami Amori

Tinami Amori Well-Known Member

I always said that to girls who date married men, but my reasons are different from a potential law suite: When his wife leaves him, and he marries you, soon after he'll find another mistress...:biggrinbo