Better skater- Kim or Kwan

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by angelflies, Jul 24, 2013.

?

Better skater- Kim or Kwan

1. Kwan

105 vote(s)
    43.2%
  2. Kim

138 vote(s)
    56.8%
  1. angelflies

angelflies Member

Since there was a poll for Kwan and almost everyone else I figured one might as well make the granddaddy of them all (atleast among recent skaters). Achievements and career greatness aside who do you think is the better skater just looking at their respective skill sets.
  2. angelflies

angelflies Member

I voted for Kim because:

1. I think she has the better overall career.
    2. Both in their primes Kim would come out on top more often than not, especialy under COP. 6.0 would be a more even battle, although both skating her absolute best would still be the one to win even then.
    3. I think it was much harder to do what Kim did, coming from a country with no history in the sport, than Kwan just being another golden American with the support of the strongest federation in skating and past legends behind her. Lets face it, if Kim were an American or Japanese she probably would have won both the 2008 and 2011 Worlds which were quite close, and were both won by a Japanese skater from a much stronger federation, and have atleast 4 Worlds to go with her Olympic Gold and other achievement.
  3. museksk8r

museksk8r Holding an edge and looking dangerously sexy

I voted for Kwan because she is a much more engaging and expressive performer than Kim. Michelle wears her heart on her sleeve and makes me feel what she is feeling.
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  4. ponta1

ponta1 New Member

I don't think Mao and Miki won in 2008 and 2011 because they came from a "much stronger federation"; they won because they performed better.
    kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  5. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

6. HVS

HVS Member

Yuna Kim makes me follow skating, I didn't even care about this sport before :p

Kwan? I know her as Yuna's idol so I have watched her perfs, except her beautiful spiral I didn't impress much about the rest of her skating, maybe because I used to watch skating with much more difficult technique in Yuna's generation
    Last edited: Jul 25, 2013
  7. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

I guess Kwan because her cop out layback spin was watchable and she could do more kinds of triples. I also remember being more interested in the Ladies Event when Kwan was around. Now the Men's Event seems more interesting.

However, I have to admit Kim's actual programs from this past season were lovely and more interesting than James Bond. I hope she continues in that direction, and maybe draws some inspiration from Lulu circa 1996.
  8. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

I think what Frank Carroll said on The Skating Lesson interview summed it up very nicely. There is no one who can skate quite like Michelle Kwan.
    OliviaPug and (deleted member) like this.
  9. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Might as well be asking who was a better skater, Sonja Henie or Madge Sayers.
  10. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

we've done this poll like 10 times
  11. VIETgrlTerifa

Seriously. This poll (well all the polls here) are more about which skater has more fans who can garner up enough support to vote in the middle of the slow off-season.
  12. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Not again! I'm not voting in this one.
  13. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Plushenko. :saint:
    LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  14. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

:wall: My gosh, I can't believe that the same place that give skaters a lot of :lynch: over using warhorse music and and having un original programs allows for posters to abuse the heck out of the "Kwan VS Kim" discussion over and over again. I sware, this discussion is like the Carmen of FSU.

This off season can't end soon enough :drama:
    bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  15. Robeye

Robeye Curiously curious

Although Michelle fans never seemed to complain about that for the longest time ;).

(For the record, I'm not voting on this poll either; and I liked your Henie/Syers analogy)
  16. os168

os168 Active Member

Oh....The endless cycle of been there done that and promise never again apples or oranges are the better fruit.
  17. VIETgrlTerifa

That's true. I admit I enjoyed the Slutskaya/Kwan one just because it brought back memories of the SLC days. Plus, Kwan was actually losing for a time which kept it a bit fresh.
  18. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

19. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

Which Purple? ;)
  20. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Pastel purple, obviously.
  21. Impromptu

Impromptu Well-Known Member

22. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

I'm so over it...

I'm boycotting this poll and suggest anyone else who is sick of the same freakin' poll over and over and over and over again do the same.
  23. wristflick

wristflick New Member

Kwan is the better 6.0 skater and Kim the much better COP skater.
  24. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Is this like a political approval poll? Are these going to be posted regularly?

Last time I checked, approval polls were only for those in office or running for office, Kwan is neither a current champion nor competitor ... therefore, no point doing these on a regular basis.

From here on out, I will not participate with the understanding that as n→0 the accuracy will be reduced ... It would be hilarious if eventually Kim was polling near 100% ....

I wonder how a non-participation poll for every future poll would look? Maybe the poll could be provided inaccurate based on the sample size of non-participants.
  25. duane

duane New Member

:lol::lol::lol: at those complaining about this poll being done "over and over" again!! Rather than letting everyone know that you're boycotting it, simply ignore the thread!

And, the creator of this thread only joined this site 7 months ago. Unlike those who have been here for years and years and years (and who created and participated in all the other similar polls), perhaps this poster is simply unaware that this poll has been done "over and over" again. Be more welcoming of newer members!
  26. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

In the vein of beauty and style, Kwan is superior.
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2013
  27. TripleWallie

TripleWallie New Member

Not pure purple?
  28. Gabybackhand

Gabybackhand Member

Right now they are very close with maybe Kim the very slightly better skater as the poll results indicate. However if Kim wins in Sochi she leaves Kwan in her dust and is the much better skater by a huge margin, and probably the best skater ever.
  29. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Member

The best way to determine is who would win if both skaters were in their prime and skated their best. The answer to that is Kim 100% under COP, and Kim 60% under 6.0. So for that answer is Kim. Consistency comes into play too, but both skaters are equal there so that is a wash.
  30. RunnersHigh

RunnersHigh Active Member

Who would be the next posting a thread like this?