Best/Worst program choices in an olympic season?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Kwantumleap, Jul 31, 2013.

1. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap Well-Known Member

What were some of the best/worst program choices in an olympic season?

2. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

It was so controversially bad and recent so D/S would be first in worst for Aboriginal! Then maybe S/P Love Story.

Best could be Turandot Arakawa or Yagudin Man in the Iron Mask.

3. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

Best for sure: Berezhnaya/Sikharulidze SP to 'La Califfa' (one of the best Pairs SP ever) and even their LP to 'Meditation de Thais' could have been great

4. Jeschke

Ice Dance: Drobiazko/Vanagas bringing the Phantom with a great Program back to live

5. Jeschke

Ladies: I repeat it once again. Miki Andos SP 2006 'Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence' was an absolutely gorgeous program; if it have been skated clean and 2,3 years later of a grown Ando, this would have been great.

6. unchat123

unchat123 Active Member

Bechke and Petrov's 1992 SP (Milord) and LP (Nutcracker) were spot-on for them after a history of very questionable music choices 1989-1991.

7. Dr.Siouxs

Dr.Siouxs Well-Known Member

I absolutely love the music choice and would love to see more programs using it...I could see Carolina Kostner skating to it beautifully...

Poor choices (both program and packaging): Moronzov's techno Requiem :scream: and the dreaded, heinous Cleopatra. :yikes: All these years later and I still wish the snake poison would hurry up. :mad: It makes me realize, however, that Miki never had the luxury of skating in a decent costume at the Olympics. :scream: :(

Last edited: Jul 31, 2013
  8. sk8ingcoach

sk8ingcoach Active Member

Both programs of Miki Ando at Olympics 2010 were awful. The Cleopatra FS had no choreography and the Requiem Sp was just really unusual music.

Domnina & Shabalin destroyed their chances of Olympic gold with the aboriginal program. Their CD i thought was fantastic

Tessa and Scott original dance was a great choice for them.
    Arakawa's FS at 2006 was great choice

9. Dr.Siouxs

Tonya Harding's Albertville slopfest. There were no ZZ Top fans in that night. :shuffle:

10. shady82

shady82 New Member

I like the music too but I don't think it suits Miki. Considering that MCML gets a lot of love on FSU, I must be a minority in not liking this program. I thought it made Miki's lack of stretch particularly glaring, especially because she was transitioning to CoP spins and spirals. The flying sit spin at the end, in particular, seemed contrived, tight, and poorly stretched to me. Her LP that season was an even bigger mistake. Miki is a power skater, and her programs the following season (Scheherezade and Mendelssohn) were MUCH more suited for her.

11. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Some of the best - Katarina's "Carmen", Torvill and Dean's "Bolero", Bereznaya & Sikhaurlidze's "The Lady Calyph", Katarina Witt's 1994 SP & FS choices ("Robin Hood" & "Where Have All The Flowers Gone?"), Ilia Kulik's 1998 "Revolutions" SP

Some of the worst IMO - Grischuk & Platov's 1994 Rock & Roll medley, Baiul's 1994 FS, Ilia Kulik's 1998 "American In Paris" FS, Surya Bonaly's 1998 FS to classical music (it wasn't HER at all)

12. t.mann

t.mann New Member

one of the Best : Arakawa.
    She is a brilliant skater with great skills, but artistically is somewhat an one music skater. That one music(Turandot) was used in right times!

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013
  13. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Another worst I have to mention is the Duchesnay's "West Side Story" in 1992. I LOVED this team and had they done something in the same artistic, innovative vein as they had done in years previous, I totally believe they could have won Olympic gold.

14. falling_dance

falling_dance Bravo, Patrick.

Among the best: "Don Quixote" for John Curry during the 1975-6 Olympic season. The music is uninteresting but it was a solid vehicle for showcasing his abilities.

15. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

My thoughts exactly. WSS had been Dean's choice, though, whereas the D's themselves would have liked a different program (as I understand it from a short bio). The program itself was very difficult and demanding both technically and artistically, but the choice of music was odd, IMO.

I'd like to mention Chait/Sachnovski's Bolero in 2006. They should have tried it a season earlier, and think up something different of their own for the OGs, to avoid being compared to the incomparable.

16. pani

pani Well-Known Member

I think this programs help skaters to get medals at OG.
    T-D "Bolero", Klimova-Ponomarenko - "Bach", Anisina-Peizerat "Flamenco" and R&J, Grishuk-Platov "Rock-n-Roll", Baul "Swan Lake", Petrenko "Don Quixote", Yagudin "Winter", Gordeeva-Grinkov "Moonlight Sonata", Davis-White "Bolywood", Virtue-Moir "Mahler" and "Flamenco".
    Programs, wich killed all skaters hopes
    Duchesnay's "West Side Story", Domnina-Shabalin 2010 both programs, Belbin-Agosto 2010 FD, F-P-M 2002 FD, B-K 2002 OD (wich i like, but judges didnt), Plushenko 2002 "Carmen", Savcheno-Szhelkovi 2010 LP.

17. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

:lol: Thanks for the good laugh!

Regarding Ando's 'Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence', the music was great indeed but the costume was just awful :scream:

Dr.Siouxs and (deleted member) like this.
  18. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Worst I've seen: Dom/Shab aborigine dance, Tonya Harding's Jurassic Park. And not the worst, but bad: S/P Love Story. And if exhibitions count, Sarah Hughes' at SLC.

flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  19. caseyedwards

I thought plushenko's Carmen was a great recovery from programs considered the worst!! If this was a different topic I would say Plushenko Carmen and k/n firebird were great recoveries and switches from Olympic program ultra disasters!! It's just unfortunate that domshabs had no choice to continue with the programs that max was used to and could do rather than risk changing and forcing max out of the Olympics all together!!

20. escaflowne9282

escaflowne9282 Well-Known Member

I consider Kerrigan's Paradise and the Master Short program from 1992 to be the worst music ever chosen by any skater

21. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I'm not sure any choice that won an OGM can be called bad. After all, it worked. I especially disagree with calling Kulik's 98 FS music a bad choice. (Still Gershwin, but it was Rhapsody in Blue, BTW. American in Paris was his 95 FS that won him the Junior World championship and a surprise European title.) I thought RIB really suited his somewhat loose and easy style.

I would agree with Duchesnay's West Side Story as a disappointing choice. Sticking with 92, I thought Liebestraum fit Mishkutenok & Dmitriev to perfection.

22. Kwantumleap

Kwantumleap Well-Known Member

I re-watched the 2010 Men's LP last night and from that...

Worst: Oda's 2010 Olympics Charlie Chaplin LP was such a poor choice. I couldn't tell if it was the choreography that was bad or what. It was unfortunate.

Best: I was surprised that I really enjoyed Johnny Weir's LP. I used to think his later programs were contrived, but that was a beautifully clean artistic program worthy of a medal.

23. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

M&D Rachmanninov
    Chen Lu's Butterfly Lovers
    Katarina's Carmen.

It's the Olympics, after all, and I need to see some larger-than-life drama! :drama:

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  24. Loves_Shizuka

Loves_Shizuka Gettin' my sass out

I echo Lu Chen and her Butterfly Lovers.
    MK - Lyra Angelica
    Arakawa - Turandot

I still don't get Slutskaya's LP in 06. I know she had a bad day, but still - in comparison to Shiz and Sasha I thought that LP was decidedly (and even more) generic, blah and lacking in sophistication.

25. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

Totally agree with these selections.

I would list Slutskaya 06 in the 'worst choice' category, the Latin diva persona totally didn't work for her. Not that the judges cared, had she stayed upright and done all her beillmans and COE zombie spin, they would have put her over Shizuka (which for me would have been a crime).

26. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I looked at Sale/Pelletier's "Love Story" at the Olympics the same way a lot of posters looked at the Duchesnays skating to "West Side Story". They skated it well but it was generic music with recycled costumes and a recycled program. The Olympics is a special event and I want to see the skaters acknowledge it through their program and costume choices. I'm not sure that wouldn't have hurt them with some of the judges even if the brouhaha with Marie Reine-LeGougne hadn't taken place.

27. caseyedwards

Besides MRL S/P lost 4 other judges and they have only themselves because of that program to blame!!!

28. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

How about the decision to drop your coach and choreographer. Does that count?

29. Dr.Siouxs

Carolina's dresses were just horrendous at Vancouver :yikes: (though I love the programs)

30. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

The only ones I can think of which haven't been mentioned are B&K's 1998 OD (worst) and their 1998 FD (best). Lol it's funny how it worked out that way.