Best way from Baltimore Airport to DC?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by haribobo, Jul 1, 2011.

1. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

How should I get from Baltimore Airport to any metro stop in DC tonight? Amtrak? Is there a place to buy tickets at the train station at night (8:30pm or so) My plane gets in at 8:35 and there's an amtrak train at 8:55 but not sure if that's enough time to get there, so I'm hesitant to buy online now-what do yall think?

2. Sk8Kate

Sk8Kate New Member

There's a free shuttle from BWI Airport to the Amtrak/MARC train station. Doesn't take very long, maybe a 10 minute ride or so. I wouldn't buy your train ticket ahead of time, though, since you never know how long it will take to get your bags. At the train station, there's a waiting room with ticket-sellers/attendants and ticket kiosks (in the event that attendants are no longer there). The Amtrak/MARC train will take you to Union Station in DC, which is on the Red Line of the DC Metro. Very easy!

3. Aaron W

Aaron W New Member

I've taken the B30 bus several times. It's an express bus that travels exclusively between Greenbelt Metro station and BWI (so no stops in between). The bus departs every 40 minutes. I think it costs $6 one-way. If traveling during morning or afternoon rush hour, it might not be as reliable since it travels on the BW Parkway and is subject to traffic jams. So I'd probably do Amtrak if traveling during rush hour. Otherwise, the B30 bus represents the cheaper option and is reasonably reliable outside of rush hour.

4. haribobo

haribobo Well-Known Member

Thanks! Very helpful!

5. acraven

acraven Active Member

I've also used the B30 bus. By bus standards, it pretty reliable. It was about 20 minutes late during a snowstorm, but I thought that was very reasonable.

Here's a link to the schedule. There's also a little map showing the location of the pick-up points at the terminal. It looks like there's one at each end.

http://www.wmata.com/bus/timetables/md/b30.pdf

You won't be able to get change on the bus, but you can use bills as well as coins. I assume they take $5 bills as well as $1s, but I can't guarantee it. The bills are fed into a validator, so it's helpful if they are in decent condition.