Best spinners in skating

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by centerstage01, Jan 8, 2012.

1. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Jeri Campbell, yes!

Travelling star camels into combination spins with gorgeous positions - camel, sit, layback. Such intensity and control.

I remember her from Evening with Champions shows, she was a queen of L4 spins before there was such a thing.

2. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Dorothy definitely has one of the best forward scratch spin ever. Both she and Paul Wylie have similar fwd scratch spin technique, which I think they both got it from Mr. Lussi. It's suprising though that I haven't seen any other skaters in their era with similar scratch spins.

Sasha's one-arm scratch spin also deserves accolades. It's gorgeous. I have no idea why she stopped doing it once she left TT though. It was as if TT gave her the idea to do it and then took it back when Sasha left her, LOL.

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

If Tonya Harding is mentioned here, I think Vanessa Gusmeroli deserves it for her sequence of spins at the end of her 2000 LP : original entrance, variety, both direction, change of edge...
    http://youtu.be/UU285dfI7u0?t=3m27s

4. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Definitely not the first, but she was one of the more prominent skaters in the 90s doing combination spins with the back spin first (thus inspiring that COP level feature). Ther other was Hubert but hers was atrocious.

5. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The position itself was similar to Kwan's position in East of Eden exhibition (1998 World Pro), but Cohen made it her own by turning it into a scratch spin. That spin really was glorious.

She did perform that spin again in Robin Lake at 2004 Worlds IIRC. Her not doing it in Nutcracker and R&J might have to do with the slowness and character of the music. The scratch doesn't really fit anywhere in those programs and doesn't quite qualify as a COP feature.

6. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Gorgeous spin and a gorgeous position :swoon:

I can't wait for COP to finally reward scratch spins the way they should. They never cease to excite, they difficult, and they separate the good spinners from the great ones. One thing that always bothered me was Fumie Suguri abandoning her glorious back scratch spin because they weren't valued enough (a big mistake on her part, but the rules didn't help)

7. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

That hair is unreal too! :wow:

8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Ronnie Robertson would be proud of her!

9. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

I've been trying to find a clip of fumie suguri's amazing scratch spins but I've had no luck

10. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

She did it at the end of her combination spin for almost every program she's had till 2006-2007. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX21Vo5LTKE#t=4m24s

11. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Nicole Hassler yet. I will try to upload a video of her spins to youtube once I get home from work.

12. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

13. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Hadn't heard of her; thanks for the upload, though. That was great.

14. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

15. briancoogaert

That's because I couldn't find any video that I didn't mention her !
    She was the best spinner of the 60's. From what I heard, coaches from all over the World went to her practices at each international competition to learn from her.
    Also, she was able to do spins of 80 revolutions. Only Ronnie Robertson could do more (according to a french book about Figure skating history).

Nicole Hassler is one of the best french skater ever (with Jacqueline Du Bief and Surya Bonaly) : three european medals and a World Bronze in 1967 (4th at the Olympic Games). She was especially known for her amazing spins.

16. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Dick Button mentioned her once he and Peggy started reminiscing about great spinners from the past after one of Lucinda Ruh's programs. Was there a story about her getting bruises on her elbows because her spins were so fast?

Either way, it's even more impressive she (and Ronnie Robertson) could do these great spins with 60's skates and blades that were almost flat.

17. iarispiralllyof

I heard a freaky rumor that one great spinner spun so fast over a long career that it caused brain damage? O_O;
    Scary...

18. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

^ Are you talking about Lucinda?

19. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Ando, Leonova, Rochette. Yuna actually usually won with 5 triples because she only planned 6 and would usually make a mistake on one of her jumps in most of her FPs.

20. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Which makes her a bad spinner?

:p

21. lakewood

lakewood New Member

Yuna's camel spin is to die for.

22. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

You mean the layover position she does? I think that's pretty much the only spin position I can praise her for because the rest of her positions are :blah:.

23. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

Just curious -- when deciding who you consider the "best" spinners, do you tend to think in terms of

speed of rotation?
    centering?
    number of revolutions?
    difficulty of positions?
    beauty/clarity/"correctness" of positions?
    flexibility?
    originality?
    air position on flying spins?
    ability to change position (or edge) without losing speed and centering?

Often the very best spinners are great at all or most of the above.

For me, I'd probably consider the first two or three criteria listed above, and the last one, as measures of spinning skill. I'd say the "best" spinners, the ones that make me think "wow," are the ones who are best in those areas.

The other criteria will also get my attention, and the beauty criterion might make me most inclined to go back and watch that skater just to enjoy his or her spins.

E.g., I might consider this layback or this camel as exceptionally attractive, but the spins as spins I would consider just good, not exceptional.

24. shsocu

shsocu Active Member

25. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Her layover and button positions are very nice I agree. That's the spin she does best. Her layback spin leaves much to be desired and her I-spin is just ok for me, though. I wouldn't consider spins a strength of Yuna, except for her camel spin.

26. iarispiralllyof

I agree that the *best* spinners tend to have most of those qualities, but I don't agree that the spin has to have most of those qualities to be amazing. elements should always match the music, and the best spinners are able to vary the speed or intensity of their spins to fit the music

laybacks are much more beautiful at a moderate speed....that's why for me sasha and sarah's laybacks are so much better than say mirai nagasu..it seems like mirai is wildly flinging her leg and body about

and yuna is amazing but i've never liked the "yuna spin". it looks sooo awkward. i'm sure it's really hard to do though

27. briancoogaert

For me, it's centering, speed of rotation, beauty/clarity of positions.
    I don't really care about amazing flexible position, if this spinner is unable to do a correct camel or a good sit spin, centered and fast. ;)

28. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

ITA. I would take Dorothy Hamill's camel spin over some of the contorted positions we are seeing today, for its simplicity, clarity, correctness and speed, plus its relation to the music.

29. Amy03

Amy03 Member

Mao Asada has amazing spins love her flexibility and positioning in them!
    I also like nagasu's spins!

30. BmcC102

BmcC102 Active Member

The 'yu-na' spin is not really her spin (but then again, Biellmann wasn't the first to do 'her' spin either...). Tonya Harding is credited with that spin according to skateweb, which is a website that has had this fact listed in its FAQ since I started watching skating circa 1998. The spin's been around for many, many years:

http://www.frogsonice.com/skateweb/faq/technical.shtml#Q2

Look for the 'harding spin' definition.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2012