Best spinners in skating

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by centerstage01, Jan 8, 2012.

1. numbers123

numbers123 Well-Known Member

I never appreciated Sasha's spins. They looked forced to me. But skating is subjective.

Who mentioned Scott Davis? :swoon: I think that Dai has some spins to die for too.

2. kappa_1

kappa_1 Member

I'd say Nathalie Krieg, Lucinda Ruh, and Stephane Lambiel in whichever subjective order.

While Alissa Czisny is a brilliant spinner, the best spinner today, and matches these three Swiss spinners in terms of speed, centering, and (ball park) cleanliness of positions, she has not matched the level of the aforementioned in terms of innovation. The three Swiss spinners were all ahead of their time in terms of their inventive positions and how they used them in their programs.

Honorable mention to skaters like Sasha, Nakano, Bebe Liang, AP McDonough, and Mirai Nagasu.

I think in terms of flexibility, no one beats Lipnitskaya and Fleur Maxwell.

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Yes, they were both coached by Nicks at the same time. NNN's career was cut short due to injuries, or she would have challenged Sasha (and may be even Michelle)

4. easilydistracte

easilydistracte Active Member

Todd Eldredge and Scott Davis, I think, were two of the best American men for spins.

Fumie Suguri, possibly? (Have to go look for some YT clips.)

5. muffinbiscuit

muffinbiscuit Member

I thought Scott had a great sit spins, but not a camel.

6. bartek

bartek New Member

WOW!! This is the first time I see this and I think she spins even faster than Ruh and Czisny! WOW!! Her layback and biellman are extremely fast and well centered.

For me the top 5 is Ruh, Krieg, Czisny, Lambiel and Cohen.

Honorable mention: Nakano, Slutskaya, young Zhang and Nagasu, Naomi Nari Nam.

The worst spin I have probably ever seen was done by Ludmila Nelidina at 2002 SA where she landed a triple axel.

7. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
  8. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

More about Ronnie Robertson and his spins, from an article in the Los Angeles Times; published after his death in 2000:

BTW, NASA really wanted to study him because he could spin so fast without becoming dizzy/disoriented. From the obituary in the New York Times:

9. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Which begs the question: Are great spinner born or made? Does every skater have a limit of how well they can spin that, regardless of how hard they train, they can't surpass?

10. El Rey

El Rey Well-Known Member

So sad. I think NNN was even better than Sasha. I remember Sasha even saying NNN was the more talented one in a fluff piece.

11. shan

shan Well-Known Member

ITA! I think Lucinda's positions were more pleasant.

12. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Naomi had charisma in spades. She would definitely have been a force to be reckoned with.

13. stevlin

stevlin Member

Todd Eldredge and Jeff Buttle... amazing spins.

14. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Czisny, Nakano, Lipnitskaya
    honorable mention: Nagasu, Asada

Lambiel, Chan, Lysacek
    honorable mention: Rippon, Hanyu

15. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Lipnitskaya is fine. Her spins get out of control sometimes though and that separates her from the best spinners. Maybe with time they'll become better.

Anyone remember Katrina Hacker? Her spins were almost Czisny-esque. But I also felt that Hacker's spins got out of control sometimes.

16. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

ITA, and that's my issue with her spins. They are mostly excellent, but they do tend to die out and she will lose control near the end, and she seldomly exits on a deep, controlled edge with flow. Most exits are squeaked out.

But that's partly justified because of the difficulty in them.

17. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

She is only 13. Give her some time.

18. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Épaulement!!!

Czisny, Cohen, Zhang (the pearl spin was out of this world), Lambiel.

19. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

For men Lambiel, Ronnie Robertson, and Eldredge are the best ones I can think of. Sad for Lambiel his spins were ruined to some degree by many of the silly COP variables, and also not properly rewarded (he often had less points gained on spins than some of his competitors which was ridiculous).

20. Louise

Louise Banned Member

But she wasn't. Youtube a bunch of early NNN vids. She under-rotates 2axels and even the commentators are like "WTF she has this big grin but she totally effed it up?!?!?" Not that Sasha was the queen of tech and lutz, but NNN was a disaster on everything but a 3toe. I do not think you will ever find someone who trained with SC and NNN circa 1999/2000 who didn't think SC was light years ahead of NNN. Didn't SC do more in her jr program than NNN? NNN was on borrowed time with BAD BAD technique. Obviously SC would annihilate her the next year in seniors. duh

21. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Lucinda Ruh and Nathalie Krieg get the old school mention. Both for speed and positions. They were incredible.

I say in the current crop of ladies, Alissa Czisny (speed and centering) and Mirai Nagasu (difficulty and speed). Included in this also are Caroline Zhang (circa 2007 for speed, centering and positioning -- she was the best in the world that year), Mao Asada (really lovely stretch and positions, though not as fast as others) and Yukari Nakano (wonderful stretch and speed).

I'd mention Julia Lipnitskaia now, but I'll give her some time to get better. She has a traveling problem from time to time and though her flexibility is freakish, I'm not as impressed with her bendiness as I was with Caroline Zhang for example. Like others said, Julia loses speed and doesn't always look as in control. She'll get better with age, but for right now she's not on my list.

22. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear Well-Known Member

23. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Another great spinner was Jeri Campbell.

Did anyone mention Rudy Galindo? He had beautiful spin positions.

24. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Their jumping technique are almost the same. I guess the original poster was talking about basic skating skills, speed ... and that's true.
    Anyway, she had a big 2Axel, so, I don't know where you see it. ;)

25. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Tonya Harding had great spins.

26. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Ronnie Robertson in Ice Follies in Cobo Arena in Detroit. He had on a costume that was half white and half black. It turned grey during his spins. Simply amazing!

27. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

28. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

29. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

OMG yes! I was all of 6 or 7 years old so I don't remember ALL of the details!

30. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.