Best spinners in skating

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by centerstage01, Jan 8, 2012.

1. shan

shan Well-Known Member

ITA! I think Lucinda's positions were more pleasant.
  2. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Naomi had charisma in spades. She would definitely have been a force to be reckoned with.
  3. stevlin

stevlin Member

Todd Eldredge and Jeff Buttle... amazing spins.
  4. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Czisny, Nakano, Lipnitskaya
    honorable mention: Nagasu, Asada

Lambiel, Chan, Lysacek
    honorable mention: Rippon, Hanyu
  5. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Lipnitskaya is fine. Her spins get out of control sometimes though and that separates her from the best spinners. Maybe with time they'll become better.

Anyone remember Katrina Hacker? Her spins were almost Czisny-esque. But I also felt that Hacker's spins got out of control sometimes.
  6. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

ITA, and that's my issue with her spins. They are mostly excellent, but they do tend to die out and she will lose control near the end, and she seldomly exits on a deep, controlled edge with flow. Most exits are squeaked out.

But that's partly justified because of the difficulty in them.
  7. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

She is only 13. Give her some time.
  8. IceAlisa

IceAlisa Port de bras!!!

Czisny, Cohen, Zhang (the pearl spin was out of this world), Lambiel.
  9. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

For men Lambiel, Ronnie Robertson, and Eldredge are the best ones I can think of. Sad for Lambiel his spins were ruined to some degree by many of the silly COP variables, and also not properly rewarded (he often had less points gained on spins than some of his competitors which was ridiculous).
  10. Louise

Louise Banned Member

But she wasn't. Youtube a bunch of early NNN vids. She under-rotates 2axels and even the commentators are like "WTF she has this big grin but she totally effed it up?!?!?" Not that Sasha was the queen of tech and lutz, but NNN was a disaster on everything but a 3toe. I do not think you will ever find someone who trained with SC and NNN circa 1999/2000 who didn't think SC was light years ahead of NNN. Didn't SC do more in her jr program than NNN? NNN was on borrowed time with BAD BAD technique. Obviously SC would annihilate her the next year in seniors. duh
  11. kwanatic

kwanatic Well-Known Member

Lucinda Ruh and Nathalie Krieg get the old school mention. Both for speed and positions. They were incredible.

I say in the current crop of ladies, Alissa Czisny (speed and centering) and Mirai Nagasu (difficulty and speed). Included in this also are Caroline Zhang (circa 2007 for speed, centering and positioning -- she was the best in the world that year), Mao Asada (really lovely stretch and positions, though not as fast as others) and Yukari Nakano (wonderful stretch and speed).

I'd mention Julia Lipnitskaia now, but I'll give her some time to get better. She has a traveling problem from time to time and though her flexibility is freakish, I'm not as impressed with her bendiness as I was with Caroline Zhang for example. Like others said, Julia loses speed and doesn't always look as in control. She'll get better with age, but for right now she's not on my list.
  12. Fozzie Bear

Fozzie Bear New Member

13. snoopysnake

snoopysnake Well-Known Member

Another great spinner was Jeri Campbell.

Did anyone mention Rudy Galindo? He had beautiful spin positions.
  14. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Their jumping technique are almost the same. I guess the original poster was talking about basic skating skills, speed ... and that's true.
    Anyway, she had a big 2Axel, so, I don't know where you see it. ;)
  15. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Tonya Harding had great spins.
  16. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

I remember seeing Ronnie Robertson in Ice Follies in Cobo Arena in Detroit. He had on a costume that was half white and half black. It turned grey during his spins. Simply amazing!
  17. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

18. smarts1

19. skatemommy

skatemommy Well-Known Member

OMG yes! I was all of 6 or 7 years old so I don't remember ALL of the details!
  20. pollyanna

pollyanna Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  21. viennese

viennese Well-Known Member

Jeri Campbell, yes!

Travelling star camels into combination spins with gorgeous positions - camel, sit, layback. Such intensity and control.

I remember her from Evening with Champions shows, she was a queen of L4 spins before there was such a thing.
  22. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Dorothy definitely has one of the best forward scratch spin ever. Both she and Paul Wylie have similar fwd scratch spin technique, which I think they both got it from Mr. Lussi. It's suprising though that I haven't seen any other skaters in their era with similar scratch spins.

Sasha's one-arm scratch spin also deserves accolades. It's gorgeous. I have no idea why she stopped doing it once she left TT though. It was as if TT gave her the idea to do it and then took it back when Sasha left her, LOL.
  23. briancoogaert

If Tonya Harding is mentioned here, I think Vanessa Gusmeroli deserves it for her sequence of spins at the end of her 2000 LP : original entrance, variety, both direction, change of edge...
    http://youtu.be/UU285dfI7u0?t=3m27s
  24. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Definitely not the first, but she was one of the more prominent skaters in the 90s doing combination spins with the back spin first (thus inspiring that COP level feature). Ther other was Hubert but hers was atrocious.
  25. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

The position itself was similar to Kwan's position in East of Eden exhibition (1998 World Pro), but Cohen made it her own by turning it into a scratch spin. That spin really was glorious.

She did perform that spin again in Robin Lake at 2004 Worlds IIRC. Her not doing it in Nutcracker and R&J might have to do with the slowness and character of the music. The scratch doesn't really fit anywhere in those programs and doesn't quite qualify as a COP feature.
  26. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Gorgeous spin and a gorgeous position :swoon:

I can't wait for COP to finally reward scratch spins the way they should. They never cease to excite, they difficult, and they separate the good spinners from the great ones. One thing that always bothered me was Fumie Suguri abandoning her glorious back scratch spin because they weren't valued enough (a big mistake on her part, but the rules didn't help)
  27. manleywoman

manleywoman podcast mistress

That hair is unreal too! :wow:
  28. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Ronnie Robertson would be proud of her!
  29. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

I've been trying to find a clip of fumie suguri's amazing scratch spins but I've had no luck
  30. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

She did it at the end of her combination spin for almost every program she's had till 2006-2007. Here's an example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TX21Vo5LTKE#t=4m24s
  31. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

I'm surprised no one's mentioned Nicole Hassler yet. I will try to upload a video of her spins to youtube once I get home from work.
  32. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

33. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Hadn't heard of her; thanks for the upload, though. That was great.
  34. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

35. briancoogaert

That's because I couldn't find any video that I didn't mention her !
    She was the best spinner of the 60's. From what I heard, coaches from all over the World went to her practices at each international competition to learn from her.
    Also, she was able to do spins of 80 revolutions. Only Ronnie Robertson could do more (according to a french book about Figure skating history).

Nicole Hassler is one of the best french skater ever (with Jacqueline Du Bief and Surya Bonaly) : three european medals and a World Bronze in 1967 (4th at the Olympic Games). She was especially known for her amazing spins.
  36. ioana

ioana Well-Known Member

Dick Button mentioned her once he and Peggy started reminiscing about great spinners from the past after one of Lucinda Ruh's programs. Was there a story about her getting bruises on her elbows because her spins were so fast?

Either way, it's even more impressive she (and Ronnie Robertson) could do these great spins with 60's skates and blades that were almost flat.
  37. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

I heard a freaky rumor that one great spinner spun so fast over a long career that it caused brain damage? O_O;
    Scary...
  38. smarts1

^ Are you talking about Lucinda?
  39. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Ando, Leonova, Rochette. Yuna actually usually won with 5 triples because she only planned 6 and would usually make a mistake on one of her jumps in most of her FPs.
  40. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Which makes her a bad spinner?

:p