Best spinners in skating

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by centerstage01, Jan 8, 2012.

1. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

Inspired by the spirals thread, who do you consider the best spinners? Any discipline is up for discussion.

Looking for speed, centering, flexibility, and (seeming) ease.

Loved this program from Lucinda Ruh. (And I think it would be perfect if Alissa Czisny would skate to this music. It seems tailor made for the two best ladies spinners in the sport.)

2. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Aside from Ruh, I can't think of anyone better than Czisny. Mirai's spins used to blow me away but lately I think she should find her mojo again.

Oh, oh, oh! You can't also rule out Stephan Lambiel and we all know why ;)

3. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

lucinda ruh, stephane lambiel, sasha cohen, mirai nagasu, caroline zhang and alissa czisny

mao asada has beautiful positions but isn't very fast

btw, that lucinda ruh program in the first post features at the end my favorite scratch spin ever. seriously! I wish COP would change so that scratch spins would be worthy of inclusion again, and they could still garner points as long as the skaters could execute them with amazing speed and centering. they have always been (imo) one of the most amazing elements of figure skating, especially as an ending move when the music swells toward the end.

and I love lucinda's freaky head move at the end of her scratch spin :p it almost brings to mind a sped up version of linda blair in the exorcist

4. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

I can't believe I left out Sasha :yikes:

5. Vagabond

Vagabond Well-Known Member

In other words, Ronnie Robertson. :cool:

(If you aren't a North American of a certain age, I encourage you to watch the whole video. It is a fascinating glimpse into the past. ;) )

Until Lucinda Ruh established herself as the greatest spinner of all time, Scott Davis was considered by many the best since Robertson.

Others thought it was Nathalie Krieg, shown here as a thirteen-year-old competing at Skate America.

St├ęphane Lambiel is probably the best since Ruh. Or maybe it's Alissa Czisny. (The spins start at about 2:15 on each of these videos.)

Here are three skaters who might not be quite on the same level as these five, but they could do some very memorable spins:

Denise Biellmann shows how it is done.

We must caution the viewers at home not to try to do what Shawn Sawyer does here. :wideeyes:

And an up-and-comer, Courtney Hicks. :)

Last edited: Jan 8, 2012
    gkelly and (deleted member) like this.
  6. gkelly

gkelly Well-Known Member

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

8. Vash01

9. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Alissa Czisny is actually the very best. This is impressive, the speed, the centering...
    She was thie only one to get big applause from the crowd at last Trophee Bompard for each of her spins.

10. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Lucinda Ruh by far the best spinner.

11. Ares

Ares Guest

I'm not a huge fan of the super fast spinners like Lucinda and Alissa. A lot of the time they are going so fast it's hard to truly appreciate the position before they are on to the next one.

Sasha had the perfect combo of speed and wonderful positions.

12. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

does this include the fastest spinners ?
    fastest hyperextended i spin would be Julia Lipnitskaya :D

also for me the best spinner today is Alissa Czisny

13. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Lucinda, Alissa

Todd, Stephane, Scott Davis

14. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Come on guys... We need more votes for Natalie Krieg! Personally I think she's better than Lucinda...

15. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Paul Wylie.

snoopysnake and (deleted member) like this.
  16. Vash01

Krieg was phenomenal. Wasn't she the one who set a record for spinning for the longest time? My brother has no interest in FS but I remember that he mentioned her as a great spinner when he saw one of the Olympics (98? 2002?) on TV. I saw her program at one Olympics and was hoping to see more of it, but she seemed to disappear from competitions and I did not see her again. I think we are not seeing many votes for her because she is not as familiar as Lucinda, who skated much longer and in the US too (was it with SOI?)

17. Vagabond

At the start of the first clip in gkelly's post, someone (Terry Gannon, I think) says that Krieg did a spin that lasted 3 minutes, 22 seconds. Then the other commentator says that it was in a competitive interpretive program, and most of the program was one spin. I wonder if there's any video of it.

18. smarts1

... Courtney? :confused: Her spins are all mediocre minus the one spin she invented, the twicks spin...

19. smarts1

It was the 1994 Olympics. When two triple jumps were required in the SP starting in 1995, Natalie faded away from the skating world because of her jump inconsistencies. Really a shame cuz her spinning ability was amazing. And Lucinda set the record for most revolutions on one foot (it was something like 110 revolutions). I have no idea who had the record before that.

20. Vash01

Naomi Nari Nam was a very good spinner. Watch this 1999 US nationals LP, especially toward the end ( start watching at 2:40 for the spins), but the whole program is gorgeous.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1S7EEHAM6nU

21. Vash01

Thanks. Here is her 1994 Oly SP. These days we see the ladies do all of those spins but nobody does a better spin combination than Nathalie did then. She was way ahead of her time.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qnoRJ8gZpZU

22. Vagabond

You should read more carefully before you post responses to other posts. ;)

23. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

24. floskate

floskate Vacant

Well personally I see Ruh as being on a whole other level to Krieg but that's what is so great about such a subjective sport. ;) Also never rated Biellmann beyond her biellmann and its variations. Her sit spins and camel spins were no better than anyone else of her era. Dorothy Hamill would easily be in my top 5. :swoon:

25. steve skater

steve skater Member

26. TheresMaude

TheresMaude New Member

Ito was a fantastic spinner. Easy to forget what with all the other pyrotechnics!

27. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

She was definitely very special. Naomi, Sasha, Yebin Mok, AP McDonough and Bebe Liang were all good spinners.

28. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

29. BigB08822

BigB08822 Well-Known Member

Was NNN coached by Nicks? The similarity to Cohen is just uncanny. Their 2axels are identical as well as how they skate in general. Most of their jump technique was the same.

30. smarts1

^ Yes I believe so.