Best skater of Kwan/Slutskaya era- Kwan or Slutskaya

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by frillit, Jul 14, 2013.

Best skater of Kwan and Slutskaya era

1. Slutskaya

106 vote(s)
    41.4%
  2. Kwan

142 vote(s)
    55.5%
  3. neither, someone else

8 vote(s)
    3.1%
  1. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

Not everyone in the audience likes to see exact precision in a skater.

Again, not everyone wants to see those.

So some things Irina was better at, and some things Michelle was better at, which is almost always the case when two great skaters are compared, and then it comes down to personal preference.

2. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

It is a really tough call. Kwan has the edge at Worlds, but Slutskaya has an amazing Worlds record too. Slutskaya has the big edge at the Grand Prix final which is like a mini Worlds, and the edge in most other things. Olympics is even or Slutskaya slightly ahead, especialy since she was robbed of the 2002 gold.

I voted Kwan but I can see how Slutskaya has many votes. I hate Irina's skating and I hate her attitude towards Maria so that is part of the reason I voted for Michelle. I admit I dont like Irina and I am biased against her.

3. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I'd say you must be joking.

4. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

Good for you to admit it openly :respec:

5. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

I read in the movies thread that orientalplane did not find Henry Cavill attractive at all. So here's just another proof of some...uncommon taste. (Slutskaya's leading the poll now, so maybe not that uncommon).

6. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

Three cheers and a cask of real ale for uncommon taste. :inavoid: :kickass:

(I voted for Kwan, btw.)

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  7. orientalplane

Why? Is it likely that if you showed videos of Irina's best skating and Michelle's best skating to all the citizens of the world, they would all choose Michelle because it's obvious that one lady is more aesthetically pleasing? I'd say you must be joking. Tastes differ. How boring it would be if they didn't.

It's not as if I'm saying, "I admit I don't like Michelle and I am biased against her" as someone seems to have written about Slutskaya. Kwan was a fine skater, technically consistent and very nice to watch. However, I still preferred watching Irina.

As for Henry Cavill, I don't even know who he is, so whatever I said about him can only have been a joke that maybe some people didn't appreciate.

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Although I think Michelle Kwan should be leading this poll big time, it's nice to see her not win a "Best" poll for a change.

9. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

I dont understand how this poll is close. One would think it was a vote between Michelle Kwan and Yu Na Kim where Kim leading 80-72 would be about right, but it is Irina freaking Slutskaya. Do people even consider the fat cow an all time great skater at all. I would hope nobody even has her in the top 10 since her skating is so ugly. I hope the 80 who vote for Irina just happen to not care for Kwan's skating, as I would hate to think anyone thinks of Irina as "great".

10. orientalplane

I hope you get banned, lovey.

11. falling_dance

falling_dance D. Murakami's Newest Fan

I thought you liked Slutskaya, Your Honor. :confused:

12. Proustable

Proustable New Member

I'm more curious about those who chose the "other" option. Which skaters would you/those assert as the best of this era?

13. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Well considering there are a small number of fans who consider Cohen a better skater than Slutskaya, and a small number who consider her a better skater than Kwan, there are probably an even smaller number who consider her better than both. I am pretty sure the few other votes are for Cohen, even if most probably consider Lipinski and Arakawa and even Chen greater (and better overall) skaters than Cohen. Cohen tends to have the widest range of opinions amongst fans since she is very special, very flawed, and never became a real champion in the sport all at once.

14. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

She could have been a real USA champion if Kwan hadn't played it that she was actually in it for the '06 season. It diminished Sasha's only victory because Kwan's PR team projected that Kwan could have beaten Sasha if only she had a few more weeks, which we eventually learned was not true. I think Sasha-- like the rest of us-- would have preferred Michele was healthy enough to skate in '06. It would have made Sasha's likely victory look more legitimate. I do think that if Kwan had been healthy, she might have won, but I would still bet on Sasha.

15. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Definitely Hughes. :hat1:

16. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Emily Hughes!

17. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

This isn't about what people want to see or personal preference. What I said are displays of skating skills and quality eecution which are relevant since we are discussing who is the better skater, not who people want to see.

18. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Was it that girl that was Jill Trenary minus the Aquanet and triple jumps? Dorothy Hamill - crying + squealing.

19. berthesghost

berthesghost Well-Known Member

i don't remember things being so dire. I actually predicted that what happened at 06 worlds would happen at 06 nats. Imagine my surprise to find my spidery sense off by two comps. :p

20. taf2002

taf2002 flower lady

Anyone who would put down Dorothy Hamill - especially because she didn't have triple jumps during an era when NO ONE had triple jumps - just shows if nothing worse, that the person knows very little skating history. And besides, Dorothy doesn't deserve anyone's scorn. She is an Olympic champion who has always been a great representative for skating & she had always handled herself with poise & grace.

Yeah, Michelle put herself through all that hell just so she could rain on Sasha's parade. Oh yes, and also so she could keep Emily from her rightful place at the opening ceremony. :rolleyes:

21. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Dorothy is one of my favorite skaters ever but she did receive some criticsm even at the time she was dominating since she wasnt attempting triples at a time many of the other top skaters already were. Christine Errath and Diane DeLeeuw her two biggest rivals both were doing triples, as were young Anett Poetzsch and Linda Fratianne. The criticsm reached its height at U.S Nationals when she turned in for her standards a very blah performance and people saw young firecracker Linda skated amazingly with 2 huge triples to open her program and still handily lose to Dorothy. Come Olympics though when Dorothy was at her very best the quality of everything- jumps, spins, spirals, stroking, were so superior to all the other leading skaters that nobody cared about the lack of a triple many of the others were already doing anymore.

It wasnt like triples were foreign at that point though. It wasnt the Peggy Fleming era. Triples were already somewhat prominent by then. Dorothy probably could have easily done them but knew she didnt need them to win if she skated well.

22. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Or you totally missed the references ...

http://cdn.newsday.com/polopoly_fs/...pg_gen/derivatives/display_600/3500256575.jpg

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  23. orientalplane

Yes, you're right. However, I was simply responding to a post above my own. I can understand why that's frustrating for you when you've asked something different, but thread drift happens all the time. Virtually every time a new thread is started, it has changed subject matter by the end.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2013
  24. query5

query5 New Member

sure keep irina,
    michelle had more pressure.
    irina wasn't pleasing for me . she was jerky. didnt finish her jumps by that i mean no flow. always stop.
    didn't center her spins .

25. kuzytalent

kuzytalent Active Member

I voted for Kwan by a slight margin. This poll shows why I voted for Slutskaya or Kwan in the weakest competition poll. Any other the 15 or so era of ladies skating in history it would be a debate between 4, 5, or 6 skaters as the best of that era. Even if there was a consensus choice there would be more than 2 people being considered. Yet here with 200 or more people voting only 5 think someone other than those 2 was the best of that era. The Slutskaya and Kwan era was probably the longest ever too, it was like 10 years long if we consider 96-06 and still there is no other worthy people that come near the caliber of skater of either in such a long time frame.

It seems that those 2 are considered above 5 levels better a skater than anyone else in their era, and it is like there was only 2 skaters who existed in that era. Shows lack of depth and that is was an era lacking in many good skaters.

26. cbd1235

cbd1235 Well-Known Member

I am surprised that they're so evenly voted, though I presume there are people who are sick of Kwan this and Kwan that so they're voting for her opponent haha.

Seriously though, Kwan is the definition of a complete ladies skater and she was on top of her game for a very long time. She is well loved, and for good reason. Slutskaya, on the other hand, had more natural jumps but left a sloppy impression in my eyes. She had some amazing performances (2005 worlds) but as a whole isn't quite the same level as Kwan to me. Jumps aside, Slutskaya loses in my eyes due to her poorer posture and lines, and sometimes very questionable musical interpretation abilities (though programs like her 2002 SP come to mind where she really had a whole package). We unfortunately didn't see that enough from her.

kwanette and (deleted member) like this.
  27. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Or maybe some people think Kwan and Slutskaya were just that good. I'd argue that many of the skaters under them could have been competitive in prior eras. If we don't consider compulsories I mean.

28. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I voted for Kwan because she was one of the prettiest skaters of any era.

29. mustafinabars

mustafinabars Member

Slutskaya had better jump combinations, jumps, spins, footwork, speed, and stroking power. So I voted for her as the best skater of that era with Kwan a close second. Irina also had a slightly greater career overall.

30. duane

duane New Member

I can understand why many will want to vote for Irina simply so that Michelle won't win or run away with another poll, but this one is a no-brainer. Michelle is the best skater of the two, and has the best results of the two.