Best places to donate clothes?

Discussion in 'Off The Beaten Track' started by Lanie, Jan 5, 2014.

1. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

We bought a house. We're expecting to close next week sometime, so I want to get rid of a lot of things. Namely - clothes!

Where are the best places to donate? There is a Goodwill here, and a Salvation Army nearby. I also want to donate Mini-Lanie's old clothes that are in good shape. I've also heard of places that will take your old formal wear for girls who can't afford nice prom dresses, but Googling is not helpful.

2. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

The program for donated prom dresses is called "The Cinderella Project" around here, and Google indicates it has the same name in several other areas.

If you have clothes that are suitable for an office or workplace, Dress for Success is a great program to donate to as well.

3. Jot the Dot Dot

Jot the Dot Dot Headstrong Buzzard

If you are so inclined, you might donate any woman's clothing to a woman's shelter.

4. KateSkates

KateSkates New Member

Good luck with your move!

5. hirshey girl

hirshey girl Well-Known Member

If you have children's clothing that is in good shape (non-dressy), check with donating to your local children's hospital. Ours keeps a clothes "closet" for those kids who might need clothing at discharge.

6. Lanie

Lanie Well-Known Member

Thanks everyone!

I looked up The Cinderella Project. I'd have to drive out to Hollywood for that. I think some prom/wedding/etc stores do their own version so I'm calling around today. I graduated high school 10 years ago, I don't need my prom dress. :)

Unfortunately, we do not have a women's shelter here. I got in touch with the one shelter we do have and they are not interested in clothing. I'll check out the hospital to get rid of MiniLanie's clothes. He has a lot of nice things he never or rarely wore. I heard hospitals also will take newborn and 0-3 month clothes for babies of underprivileged moms so they have nice clothes for their babies when they go home, I'd love for someone who needs these things to have them.

numbers123 and (deleted member) like this.
  7. suep1963

suep1963 Well-Known Member

Check with churches too--one of the churches in our area has a clothes closet--they give clothing out (all ages)

8. cruisin

cruisin Well-Known Member

I agree with women's shelters, there are usually kids there too. Religious shelters. I usually donate them to big Brother, Big sister. They clean the clothes and sell them. Then they use the money for the programs they provide. What I like about it is that the older kids who benefit from the program do the cleaning, organizing, and selling. It makes them feel really good about themselves. I always spend some time talking to the kids working there, and they are really proud of what they learn about business there.

9. skatesindreams

skatesindreams Well-Known Member

Many churches, like mine, sponsor thrift shops.
    I also support "Dress For Success", mentioned upthread.