Best original/short dance of Davis/White?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by elif, Aug 8, 2014.

?

Best original/short dance of Davis/White?

1. 2014: I Could Have Danced All Night

1.1%
  2. 2013: Giselle

32.3%
  3. 2012: On The Floor

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. 2011: Waltz: Brindisi, Musetta's Waltz

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  5. 2010: Kajra Re (Bollywood)

63.4%
  6. 2009: Happy Feet

3.2%
  7. 2008: Kalinka

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  8. 2007: A Los Amigos

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. elif

elif Active Member

Bollywood OD of course:cool:

2. E.A. Week

E.A. Week Active Member

Bollywood, no contest, though Giselle is a close second.

3. caitie

caitie Member

It's incredibly difficult for me to choose between Bollywood and Giselle, but I'm sure Bollywood will win this poll hands down.

4. Nours

Nours Active Member

This one is easy ! Boolywood !

Happy Feet was also praised at the time and a close second for me.

5. CassAgain

CassAgain Active Member

Giselle! Not just their best short dance, but the best short dance.

Love Bollywood, too, of course.

6. ballettmaus

ballettmaus Well-Known Member

Giselle, for me. And it was actually a close tie between Happy Feet and Giselle for me. Their Bollywood OD was great but the other two were genius, for me. (Probably mainly because the music and theme are more up my alley :) )

7. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

I voted for Bollywood, but I also really loved Happy Feet - specifically the first version from SC that season. And Giselle was of course another favorite

8. ~tapdancer~

~tapdancer~ Well-Known Member

Giselle for me because the footwork was just amazing and so difficult yet effortlessly skated. But Bollywood is second by a hair, so iconic and just superb in every way.

9. Kaffeine

Kaffeine Well-Known Member

I chose Giselle. The absolute seamless construction of the program. Did not feel like a "short dance" with all the technical requirements. Every element went perfectly in sync to the next one. When it was over, I wanted to see it again and again...and again.

Bollywood will always be iconic. It managed to go beyond the confines of the ice dancing world and become a viral hit--a rarity in figure skating.

10. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

Bollywood- by a mile

11. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Tie between Giselle and Bollywood. Giselle a tad more flowing and carefree but Bollywood was such darn good fun.

12. N_Halifax

N_Halifax Active Member

Bollywood for the win!

13. shan

shan Well-Known Member

ITA. I also really liked A Los Amigos. :)

14. Karpenko

Karpenko Well-Known Member

Bollywood had excellent choreography, would've rather seen it four years later instead of the homage to pink curtains.

15. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I picked Giselle. I don't enjoy Bollywood as much as most people seem to. It's good but it's not any better than most of their other dances for me.

16. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

Based on this poll and the FS one, doesnt it seem too bad that their 2012-13 and 2013-14 programs werent switched? It would have been infinitely more thrilling to me at least if they had won the OGM with Giselle and Notre Dame. For us who knew their whole body of work, the win was hugely earned, but I wish the big Olympic audiences had seen them the previous year instead.

I also wish they had seen Meryl wearing something other than that horrible My Fair Lady costume, but that 's another discussion (which has already been had... but as it is an OGM program we will be seeing it forever!).

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  17. Vash01

Oddly when I click on a quote, I don't see that post quoted. Not sure how to quote anymore.

I agree about the awful pink costume Meryl wore for the My fair lady SD. It almost ruined the SD for me. A program like Bollywood doesn't happen often, but I am fine with when they skated that.

18. Vash01

P.S. Just saw the 'Edit'- so now I can edit my post. The quote question still remains.

19. Spun Silver

Spun Silver Well-Known Member

I just realized I made the same comment as Karpenko - sorry, Karpenko! And it wasnt just the pink curtains but the hair and makeup that aged her horribly. Meryl is such a fashionista - guess the Olympic pressure temporarily blinded her.

20. semogal

semogal Well-Known Member

Gosh, picking my favorite D/W program is liking picking a favorite among my children because I love them all!! But for the purposes of this thread I went with Giselle. For me it was just perfect: choreography, costumes and performance level. It helps that I was lucky enough to see it skated at Nationals that year and it was simply magical.

21. centerstage01

centerstage01 Well-Known Member

I also wish they'd been able to repeat Giselle this season. I voted for the Bollywood program, but I kept wavering between that and Giselle because I liked both programs so much.

22. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

I agree about 'Giselle', but not about 'Notre Dame' vs. 'Scheherazade'. I liked 'Notre Dame', it was powerful and emotional, but 'Scheherazade' was much more difficult and intricate - a much better program for showing their current level of skill.

I don't understand why so many people don't like the 'My Fair Lady' dress. Because of the high neck? To me it doesn't look like curtains at all. It was a nice dress which was simply closer to the style of the time as shown in the particular movie than to something from our times. And I don't agree about hair and makeup aging Meryl "horribly" at all. Again, her hairdo was simply adequate for the time/movie and dress itself.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2014
  23. Jiazumi

Jiazumi Active Member

Definitely Bollywood for the win.
    1.Bollywood
    2.Giselle
    3. On the Floor

24. Nadia2013

Nadia2013 Well-Known Member

I love Giselle! Bollywood was a special program because it helped M/C get some well-deserved attention. However, Giselle was perfection. I also liked On The Floor. Meryl and Charlie looked like they were genuinely having fun while performing it.

25. Karpenko

No need to apologize... The more people that see the pink frock the better. :EVILLE:

I feel like a Holiday Inn somewhere is feeling gypped in their honeymoon suite. :40beers:

26. Karpenko

...but they have great skating skills. :)

And a deserved OGM!

lmarie086 likes this.
  27. clairecloutier

clairecloutier Well-Known Member

This poll was a great excuse to go back and rewatch all of Davis/White's original/short dances! :)

My ranking:

1. Bollywood 2010
    1A. Giselle 2013
    3. I Could Have Danced All Night 2014
    4. Waltz 2011 (Musetta's Waltz)
    5. On the Floor 2012 (Latin)
    6. Happy Feet 2009 (Charleston)
    7. Tango 2007
    8. Kalinka 2008 (Russian folk dance)

Bollywood and Giselle are both classic programs, among the best short dances ever, and it's so hard to choose between them. In the end I picked Bollywood, because it was such a daring and difficult choice. The thing with Bollywood is it had to be done perfectly, or it just wouldn't have worked at all. It could have been embarrassing and come off as a fumbling piece of cultural misappropriation. (As happened that same year with Domnina/Shabalin's aboriginal OD.) But Meryl & Charlie and their team pulled it off nearly perfectly. I don't think there's another team in the world that could have done that dance, and it's iconic. A total success.

It was so fun going back and watching all their SDs! The one thing that stands out? How much they improved over the years. The difference between the early years (2007-2009) and the later years (starting in 2010, accelerating 2011-2014) is really noticeable. Charlie learned to tame his energy and speed; Meryl blossomed into this utterly beautiful, confident, exquisite dancer. After 2010, there was so much more definition and crispness and unison to their movement, yet with no loss of speed or power.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2014
    CassAgain and Barbara Manatee like this.
  28. Barbara Manatee

Barbara Manatee Active Member

Bollywood is my favorite to rewatch, and it's the one that still impresses me the most. I never expected Meryl and Charlie to be able to pull it off! But I voted for Giselle because I think it's a better program - it felt like a real dance. It flowed so beautifully and showcased them both at their very best.

29. Terri

Terri Well-Known Member

I thought she was "Pretty in Pink". :)

30. maatTheViking

maatTheViking Now ubering Machida's hair

I choose Giselle, with Bollywood as a close second. I think both are iconic, but Giselle showed us that the SD didn't have to have clear 'sections' and set the bar for the new format. I also think it just looks so difficult and easy all at once.