Best Olympic Games

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by seaner00, Dec 19, 2010.

?

What was the best figure skating Olympic Games?

Poll closed Apr 3, 2014.
  1. 1984 Sarajevo

3.1%
  2. 1988 Calgary

12.8%
  3. 1992 Albertville

3.1%
  4. 1994 Lillehammer

19.0%
  5. 1998 Nagano

9.7%
  6. 2002 Salt Lake City

12.8%
  7. 2006 Torino

5.1%
  8. 2010 Vancouver

34.4%
  1. seaner00

seaner00 New Member

What was the best Olympic Games in figure skating??
    By this I mean the most great performances, controversy, great stories and maybe the most memorable.

For me it was 1994 (thx to 3Axel1996 for posting the entire 94 olympics on youtube). Every discipline was exciting, really ever silver medalist(in one case bronze medalist) could have conceivably have won Gold. There was also the pros coming back(G&G,M&D,Witt,Torvill/Dean,Petrenko,Boitano),Harding/Kerrigan saga and MANY fantastic performances throughout the games.
  2. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

For me nothing beats Lillehammer. I like when the winter Olympics are in the smaller venues then the bigger cities which seems to be th trend now. Salt Lake City is my second favorite for many reasons. Being an american it's always special when your country hosts a Olympics and after 9/11 we needed something to pump us up. Also this was the Olympics that showed the world that the US was a true winter Olympics power.
  3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

The problem I have with Lillehammer is the ladies event. Oksana Baiul as an Olympic champion is still something really painful to me !
    Otherwise, the other events were amazing, I loved the pairs and dance. And the men competition was really interesting with the old skaters vs the young.
  4. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

LOL at all the votes for Vancouver. Other than the ladies event and Virtue & Moir what was great about that. A splatfest mens event, a splatfest pairs event, and a weak overall dance field with the worst crop of Euro teams in history by a huge margin.
  5. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

Calgary 1988 for me! Why" The Battle of the Brians, G&G, and Midori Ito! :encore: These are the Olympics that got me hooked on figure skating for good!
  6. floskate

floskate Vacant

Maybe because compared to Torino it actually was a very well skated event? :lol:

My vote goes to Calgary. There was just something so magical about those Olympics which IMO has never been equaled.
  7. Twilight1

Twilight1 Well-Known Member

2010- Watching V&M and Rochette and what they accomplished despite the adversity is awe inspiring.

1994- Unlike briancoogaert, I loved that Oksana won those Oly's. Also, seeing G&G and the upstarts G&P win. I will never forget cracking my toes when G&P won. :lol: Seeing Elvis Stojko do well was awesome.

2002- The dance event, even though my fave's fell at the end of the FD and seeing A&P win was great! B&S and S&P skated amazing. Yagudin bar none is my all time favourite male skater!!

1998- Men's and ice dance event stand out for me, as well as Lu Chen skating so well to win bronze. Also happy that W&S won bronze too.

1988- Men's event and Manley winning silver, never mind Carmen by Witt. :D
  8. briancoogaert

IMO, the best ladies event, ever, was 1998. :swoon:
    In Pairs, I'd say 1994.
  9. judgejudy27

True, but it wasnt exactly a tough standard to beat. :lol:
  10. miki88

miki88 New Member

I agree! It was a very exciting event! And since it was also the first Olympics I watched, there's the nostalgic factor. :)
  11. casken

casken Well-Known Member

Besides the fact that the quality was high across all four disciplines, it was my first Olympics, and there was just something really special about that event; the the energy and enthusiasm of the crowd, the way the sound echoed through the arena, how the ice and the whole venue in general just seemed to glow, etc.

Every other Olympics has paled in comparison.
  12. let`s talk

let`s talk Banned Member

SLC. Of course I didn't enjoy what happened in pairs, got furious with ladies' results, got bored with dancers's but PlushYag rivalry heavily cracked all sh.. out. Cool boys!!! :cool::cool::cool:
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  13. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

Calgary for me. It was an exciting time. It was the beginning of the skating boom - people weren't jaded yet. Plus the Olympics were in North America and the U.S. and Canada had many top skaters. The U.S. women were Thomas, Trenary, and Kadavy. There was the battle of the Brians. The Duchesnays challenged the Russians in dance with a new style. Liz Manley's surprise medal. Midori Ito's spectacular skate. The media infatuation with Katarina Witt.

Skating had sex appeal then. IMHO skating is as much show-bizz as sport, no matter how much the ISU tries to deny it!
  14. Aceon6

Aceon6 Get off my lawn

I voted Sarajevo, Torvill and Dean, Scotty's gold, and the Carruther's magical silver.
  15. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

I voted for Vancouver, because in every discipline the skater/s won, which I was rooting for.
  16. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

17. olympic

olympic Well-Known Member

There was great moments and blahdom in each olympiad, so very hard for me to rank, but I'll give you my feelings:

Sarajevo '84 - Watchable just because of T/D in Ice Dance and Orser in the Men's LP; everything else was pretty blah. Witt was somewhat interesting, but Sumners underperforming and the rest of the ladies were just not that exciting for me - the top all had issues with either figures or free skating.

Calgary '88 - Better than '84 due to G/G in Pairs. I thought V/V were a little sloppy but were always a great pair; Battle of the Brians in the Men's comp; and Midori Ito in the ladies competition with a 3z and 3t-3t, and happy for Manley winning Silver with a 3z, [but I thought she was overscored in the SP] took it up a level in ladies. I found the Ice Dance unmemorable.

Albertville '92 - Not as great as '88 but better than '84 - mediocre men's competition although happy for Wylie; and Ladies were a huge letdown not because of the medalists, but because so much more was expected technically. Although Ice Dance and M/D saved these games from complete mediocrity.

Lillehamer '94 - OK. Even. The pairs competition due to G/G, M/D, was sterling and even B/E had the skate of their life. The ice dance was good between G/P, U/Z and T/D, too. But I thought Men's and Ladies were subpar once again. Ladies took a step back technically from the ambitions of '92 and none of the men skated their best and impressed me at all

Nagano '98 - Just Better than '94. Kwan vs. Lipinski in the Ladies competition, Lulu's emotional Bronze, and Kulik in the Men's competition resurrected the Singles this olympiad, Ice Dance was decent but for me not as riveting as the two previous olympiads. I found Pairs pretty unexciting, too

SLC '02 - On the whole- meh. Not as good as '94 and '98: I only thought the Men were technically dazzling; the Ladies with Sarah Hughes winning and Kwan, Slutskaya and Butyrskaya all subpar was a letdown. I also wasn't a big fan of Ice Dance this time either - A/P couldn't match '00 Worlds FD to 'Carmina Burana', L/A were not that interesting to me and FP/M, B/K stumbling were also subpar. Pairs was a total distraction with the whole B/S v. S/P scoring fiasco taking away from the competition. S/Z were still not that exciting, and Dullmianina/Dullinin at this time were snoozeworthy

Torino '06 - Even less riveting than '02: Plushenko's jump clinic programs weren't that interesting and I found the Men's comp to be a big step-down from '02 with Buttle stumbling to the podium and Lysacek in '06 form getting close to the podium. I also wasn't on fire for the Ladies with Arakawa skating nicely but conservatively for the Gold and Slutskaya, Cohen both falling. I suppose I should be impressed by T/M winning but I found their skating blah after past winners like G/G, M/D, B/S. Z/Z on the podium was a travesty. I guess the closeness of the competition in Ice Dance was a highlight of this Olympiad.

Vancouver '10 - Good. Close men's competition even if a step down jump-wise from '02 and '06 kept me interested. Also the ladies were finally outstanding for the first time since '98 - Kim's 3z-3t; Mao's 3 3x's; Rochette's overcoming grief to medal for Canada for the first time since Manley. V/M and D/W in Ice Dance [especially D/W's OD] were great to watch. I found pairs to be just OK. Though, I missed being mesmerized by a top Soviet/Russian Pair. The Chinese dominance doesn't impress me as much as Soviet/Russian dominance. I respect S/Z but for some reason, it all seemed so manufactured this year to me
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  18. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

I picked Vancouver because my heart wasn't broken...Happy with the outcome of the men's, fine with dance and ladies, and thrilled with prs. If I could have given Tanith and Ben the bronze and Johnny the bronze with Plushenko staying home, then it would have been perfect.
  19. liv

liv Well-Known Member

calgary: pairs: young, perfect G/G
    men: battle of the brians
    women: witt, new midori
    dance: kind of meh, but advent of duchesnays
  20. Allen

Allen New Member

1992 was the first Olympics where I really watched figure skating and knew what was going on. I was twelve and thought I was the bees knees because I could tell a lutz from a salchow.
  21. Fergus

Fergus New Member

Calgary '88!!!

The glitz! The glam! The rivalries! :watch: Big poofy 80's skating hair on the gals AND the guys!
  22. Allen

Allen New Member

Plus you had Midori's absolutely fabulous short program.
  23. chmea

chmea New Member

:huh: sorry but 2006 Dance event at torino was weaker than Vancouver
  24. Domshabfan

Domshabfan Well-Known Member

1994 all the way... best pairs competition
  25. PEKINGMOO

PEKINGMOO New Member

My first Olympics of awareness was 1988...and I loved G&G and the Battle of the Brians, but hands down...1994. I think the over saturation of an alternating Olympic games hadn't quite sunk in...plus you had the "pro's" coming back (many of whom were in good shape barely having retired 1 year). All 4 events were filled with excitement for various reasons already posted here that I wont restate.
  26. briancoogaert

Well, All the Olympic champions in Vancouver were great and skated perfectly. that was not the case in every Olympics. ;)
  27. allezfred

allezfred Prick Admin Staff Member

I think Torino really suffered in terms of skating performances being the first Olympics held under CoP which everybody was still adjusting to. There were a lot more skaters who had "grown up" with CoP in Vancouver, hence the better performances.

My opinion may also be coloured by the fact that I liked three of the four gold medallists in Torino compared with zero in Vancouver. :shuffle:

Plus Skary Babs deathstare may be my all-time favourite moment! :cheer2:
  28. judgejudy27

That is a matter of the opinion. Lysacek is definitely not a great Olympic Champion IMO. One of the least special skaters to ever win such a title. And Shen & Zhou did not skate perfectly at all in the LP, they even lost the LP to Pang & Tong and wouldnt have won the gold with that performance if the Germans or Russians had skated better.

I would say in Turin all the winners were great Olympic Champions who skated perfectly more than Vancouver. All 4 Olympic winners of 2006 are better Olympic Champions than Lysacek, and all 4 skated better than Shen & Zhou (or Lysacek) did in Vancouver to win there.
  29. senorita

senorita New Member

Slc was the best!
    let`s talk and (deleted member) like this.
  30. judgejudy27

It depends what you define as better or weaker. I prefer the 2010 winner to the 2006 winners. The 2006 and 2010 runner ups are similar. And the rest of the top 8 from 2006 was much better than 2010. After the top 2 in 2010 everyone sucked at the time (other than the wuzrobbed 4th place finishers). It is great to see the NA teams so strong in dance now but the Russian and overall European teams are the worst ever by far.
  31. Twilight1

Re 2006 vs 2010

2006- I thought Plushenko while technically good, but sucked on the presentation. T&M were about as special as paint drying...like Plushenko skated excellent but I remember nothing of their performance, only the ladies Champion and Dance champions stand out in any way for me. However the rest of the field were awful...though Babs death stare was noteworthy...

2010-I thought Lysacek was awe inspiring in his LP. I don't even like him but was impressed by him and what he did.

Virtue & Moir were stunning so deserving of their win. Never mind that D&W brought it...the only flaw was my personal opinion that B&A were robbed of bronze.

Rochette winning bronze was amazing for what had occurred to her and Yu Na was technically superior but also was artistically amazing too!

So I guess it is a matter of taste...
  32. chmea

chmea New Member

well that's your opinion...certainly not mine !

All 2010 olympic champion from 2010 were better than 2006. SZ didn't have the performance of their live, but it was certainly more interesting than those boring russians.

As for the men, well to be honest, that's my least favorite event anyway so I don't really care!
    flutzilla1 and (deleted member) like this.
  33. kwanette

kwanette Fetalized since 1998

Well, Evan's a lot more special than some others. who have won OGMs. I think that what he did in Vancouver was amazing. Re: S and Z, they didn't have to skate perfectly..won under the rules of the competition.
  34. poths

poths Well-Known Member

The :drama: of 1994 was EPIC.

The Pairs comp with all the returning champions/ Wotzel chin splat was the best competition ever IMO

The ladies with the Harding/Kerrigan/Baiul/ Szwechenko collision/ Dead Parents/ Witt Return...EPIC!

The men's was easily the best FP ever...Petrenko, Boitano, Browning...and they didn;t even medal.

And don't get me going on Dance...T&D beaten into bronze with people like Krylova down in 6th and Diva Navka out of the top 10. EPIC

1994 all the freaking way

Even the freaking Gala was amazing - remember The Baiul/Petrenko performance?
    Brasseur and Isler's Bryan Adams routine and.....Grinkov's last major performance :(
  35. Twilight1

poths- didn't G&G compete in the World Pro's in 1994 and he passed before World Pro's in 1995?

Good points on everything that happened in 1994 Oly's. I taped it all. Including a bunch of clips from the news about Harding and Kerrigan. Plus the pre-Canadian National's bit of upped security on CTV
  36. Mafke

Mafke New Member

For me it was Calgary. Partly because it was the first FS competition I recorded (the idea seemed strange at the time...).

Also the coverage was pretty good (decent coverage of figures for instance with the best description of skate blade construction and edges I ever saw on TV).

And the competitions were all interesting

Pairs : weakest section but a young GG outclasses the field

Mens : Brians, what's not to love? Plus young whipper snappers Bowman, Browning and Petrenko put in appearances.

Dance : The eternal weirdness of BB and the Duchesnays make their mark.

Ladies : Carmens, Witt's butt, Thomas's unitard, drama, drama and more dramaa as tears of joy and sadness flow with Manley and Ito putting in class performances (and poor Cadavy sidelined).
  37. judgejudy27

If you put the competitions of 2006 up against 2010 this is how everyone would have placed skating as they did:

Pairs:

Gold- Totmianina & Marinin 2006 (sorry S&Z fans, if they even lost the LP to P&T they would have had no chance against T&M of 2006)
    Silver- Shen & Zhou 2010
    Bronze- Zhang & Zhang 2006
    4th- Pang & Tong 2010
    5th- Shen & Zhou 2006
    6th- Pang & Tong 2006
    7th- Savchenko & Szolkowy 2010
    8th- Petrova & Tikhonov 2006

Men:

Gold- Plushenko 2006 (by a landslide, over 20 points probably)

----huge gap----

Silver- Lysacek 2010
    Bronze- Lambiel 2006
    4th- Plushenko 2010
    5th- Takahashi 2010
    6th- Buttle 2006
    7th- Lysacek 2006
    8th- Lambiel 2010

Dance:

Gold- Virtue & Moir 2010
    Silver- Navka & Kostomarov 2006
    Bronze- Belbin & Agosto 2006
    4th- Davis & White 2010
    5th- Grushina & Goncharov 2006
    6th- Delobel & Schoenfelder 2006
    7th- Denkova & Stayviski 2006
    8th- Belbin & Agosto 2010

Ladies:

Gold- Yu Na Kim 2010
    Silver- Shizuka Arakawa 2006
    Bronze- Mao Asada 2010
    4th- Sasha Cohen 2006
    5th- Joannie Rochette 2010
    6th- Mirai Nagasu 2010
    7th- Irina Slutskaya 2006
    8th- Fumie Suguri 2006

Overall 2006 would do better.
  38. Mafke

Mafke New Member

But T&M were about as exciting as watching paint dry. They had the technical skill but they were boooooring (and the less said about ZZ 2006 the better)

And Plushenko's program in 2006 might have won but it was also bloody awful - jump, jump, jump ,jump, jump, jump half-assed footwork and non-existent sit-spin blech

One of the jobs of the olympics is to capture the public's imagination and I think overall Vancouver did that better than Turin (I refuse to use the pretentious "Torino" unless parlo italiano, capisci?)
  39. judgejudy27

If capturing publics imagination is the goal then 1988, 1994, and 2002 were far better than 2010.

1988- Battle of the Brians, Battle of the Carmens, an inspired Manley, the timeless Gordeeva & Grinkov.

1994- Just amazingly strong men, pairs, and dance field, even if the mens didnt fully pan out. The story of all the reinstated pros. And Nancy skating what most Americans consider Oly Gold performances so soon after being clubbed.

2002- The Yagudin-Plushenko rivalry at its peak, Kwan vs Slutskaya in the womens with Hughes stealing the show by skating out of her skin that night, and an incredible pairs field the infamous scandal aside.

Even 1984 and 1998 really. 1984 you had the historic performances of Torvill & Dean, a popular U.S dancing duo fighting for a medal, the American ladies sending a super trio with 2 World Champions, the coronation of the beautiful and popular Witt as the new ice queen, Hamilton vs Orser in the mens event, and NA interest in the pairs even with both Underhill & Martini and the Carruthers. 1998 Tara vs Michelle already tops anything from 2010 for NA skating fans, but you also had Stojko, Eldredge, and Kulik in the mens event, and the great Gristchuk & Platov in their Olympic farewell. And if you want me to look at it from European fans perspective instead the difference probably becomes even more.

The TV ratings for both 2006 and 2010 were really low. Nobody was that interested in either. The only reason 2010 has so many votes here is it most recent and people seem to think always think now is best for whatever reason.
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2010
  40. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

No. 2010 has the most votes because of the quality of skating. Please show me another major competition in which the final ladies flight has zero falls. That's one point for starters.