Best of these 5 Olympic gold medal winning performances?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Aug 12, 2014.

Best of these 5 Olympic gold medal winning performances?

Poll closed Sep 12, 2014.
  1. Viktor Petrenko at the 1992 Olympics

6 vote(s)
    3.2%
  2. Alexei Urmanov at the 1994 Olympics

3 vote(s)
    1.6%
  3. Ilia Kulik at the 1998 Olympics

33 vote(s)
    17.8%
  4. Alexei Yagudin at the 2002 Olympics

94 vote(s)
    50.8%
  5. Evgeni Plushenko at the 2006 Olympics

49 vote(s)
    26.5%
  1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

2. coldblades

coldblades New Member

no 1988 Olympics?

kwanette likes this.
  3. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Kulik in 1998 is the best across both programs. He did have better flow than Yagudin.

I love Urmanov too, but his 1994 skates pale in comparison to Kulik and Yagudin.

Petrenko was least clean of the 5 and he skated the long program much better in other competitions. I love the Carmen short very much though, probably even more so than Yagudin's Winter. But I also think he skated it better in 1991 - more conviction and with perfect jumps that were landed with his arms folded.

OliviaPug and Kasey like this.
  4. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Kulik was the full package over both programs. Yagudin was tentative a bit in his long program and "played it safe"; Petrenko was a bit of a mess in his long program; Urmanov was relatively clean, but a bit tentative; and Plushenko was somewhat overmarked.

sadya likes this.
  5. Meoima

Meoima Well-Known Member

Alexei Yagudin, no doubt. He might be not the most talented skater, but he had the most powerful performance of that season.

6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

I love Alexei Yagudin's SP in 2002, as well as Ilia Kulik's 1998 SP.
    But I'm not fond of Kulik's LP. Technically brilliant, but lacking in term of choreography, IMO.
    Alexei Yagudin's LP was intense. Not his best choreo or performance, but very powerful. That's why he gets my vote.

7. coraczek

coraczek Member

My vote also goes to Yagudin, whose both SP and LP were so great.

8. rickmercer

rickmercer Active Member

It is crazy to even include Petrenko and Urmanov on a poll with those other 3. Petrenko and Urmanov wouldn't have even medaled at any Olympics after 94 with their winning skates.

I would go:

1. Yagudin- whole package, flaweless skating
    2. Plushenko- flawless and technically outstanding skating, but presentation of long program wasn't maxed out.
    3. Kulik- weak spins, weak landing on quad, lots of standing around, and not artistically that developed yet.

9. antmanb

antmanb Well-Known Member

I ended up reluctantly voting for Kulik.

Pluschenko's programmes in 2006 were just awful - that LP had nothing except jumps, and no attempt to do anything with the (admittedly awful) music. Watching this back to back with the other champions - he didn't seem as fast, certainly compared to Kulik and his basic skating wasn't even close to matching Kulik.

Yagudin - I've said it before, and i'll say it again, MITIM really does not stand the test of time. It is much emptier choreographically than I remember it. There is a ton of two footed skating, that the breaking at the waist when he lands jumps is really a big problem that i don't remember having at the time.

Stylistically I would go for Urmanov every time - I just love his skating, but the errors in the LP (on the flying spin and the triple flip), and the blatant standing still to catch breath three times in the programme mean Kulik is the default winner for me (at least his breathing spots were pretty).

Marco likes this.
  10. NONKO

NONKO Active Member

Alexei Yagudin is the best!:rollin:

11. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I voted for Plushenko. He had the cleanest performances that were technically superior to anyone else. Yagudin did have a mistake; not a serious one. I just never warmed up to his MITIM program. I saw the 2002 Olympics live and it was a very good performance but it didn't blow me away. Plushenko's performance was artistically lukewarm (particularly the LP) but overall he delivered under extreme pressure. These two could be tied.

Kulik was very good but he was not in the same class as these two technically or artistically.

I liked Petrenko as a skater but his 92 Olympic LP performance was forgettable. Urmanov actually skated a better LP (just one mistake) in 94 than Petrenko did in 92.

12. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yagudin, but Kulik and Plushenko are close. Urmanov wasn't bad, either. Petrenko was definitely not at his best. I actually preferred his 1988 performances.

13. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

My personal favourite was Urmanov, but I voted for Yagudin. He skated with passion as well as perfection. In contrast, I though Kulik was cool and methodical. Plushenko as well. He know he had no contenders in 2006 so he just knocked off the elements one by one, it was a coronation, not a competition.

14. briancoogaert

I agree that Urmanov was not that bad. I absolutely don't like his style and Mishin's choreography. But Urmanov's skating is very good. And his SP at the Olympics was perfect. The LP was very well skated, except the 3Flip. Petrenko is another story ! hahahaaaa

15. MarieM

MarieM Grumpy Cynical Ice Dance Lover

Yags. But Kulik would be my choice had he chosen another LP and another costume. brrrrrrrrrrrrr.

16. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

Uh, Yagudin's "Olympic" free skate linked here is actually his 2002 Worlds free skate; which was stronger, freer, and better presented than he was at Olympics. At Olympics, he omitted a second 3A, he barely squeaked the 3F, broke at the waist on several landings and didn't really even come to life until the final minute or so. I was very happy he won, I felt he deserved it, and I was a big fan, but that was one of his weakest "winning" performances in most of his career.

17. briancoogaert

Really ? Of course, a lot of 2-foot skating, one of his emptiest choreo, but he performed really well, except the 3Flip.

18. Kasey

Kasey Loving on babies!

I should have thrown in the obligatory "IMO". I don't feel like he sold the program for the first 2 minutes, that he was tentative, and it showed. Perhaps it's a curse I have when a favorite of mine is in Olympic gold medal position; to me it seems like the most "winning" of the winning performances come from people I'm not really invested in.

19. OliviaPug

OliviaPug Well-Known Member

Across both programs, Kulik. Think I'll go watch ...

O-

20. unicorn

unicorn Member

My rank:
    1 Yagudin-Skated both programs with power but everything in control kind of aura. His body movements were athletic but fluid, imagine if you put Kulik's awkward cross overs into his long program, the program wouldn't have blended so well. Of course, if you want to nitpick, there're always something. Same thing applies to everyone, no body really was perfect, technically he still performed better than anyone on the list.
    2 Urmanov- Except the more obvious mistake on that 3F, everything else was better than Kulik and Plushenko. Stronger basic skating skills, more program content, jumps he landed were more solid with better flow out and free leg extension. His performance was always underrated.
    3 Kulik- His sp was nice. Simplified his long program for jumps, not only lots of two foot skating too, but also long time standing and easy footwork. His lp was even easier than Yagudin's 98 lp choreographically. Weak landing on 4T, weak landing on 3S and hence missed the planned 3S-3T. His body was pretty stiff, didn't have Urmanov and Petrenko's balletic carriage, didn't have Yagudin's athletic but fluid movements either.
    4 Plushenko-Weak landing on his 4T in his sp, doubled his 3F in his lp, that's a bigger mistake than Urmanov's actually. Unlike other people who think he had big lead after sp and hence didn't care about the program, on the contrary, I feel he was nervous, he skated cautiously, noticeably slower than others on this list and his strokes were labouring, greatly relieved after he finished. This skate was considered so strong and untouchable by many people only shows how weak the field was in this era.
    5 Petrenko-Not his best, more mistakes on jumps than others, but everything else was better than Kulik and Plushenko.

21. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Urmanov had lousy spins and poor leg extensions. Kulik also had mediocre spins and poor body lines. Plushenko's was better than both Urmy and Kulik in those departments.

I don't think Yagudin's SLC LP was one of his best or very memorable, but I agree that he's the best out of the 5 men in the poll.

22. vipermold

vipermold New Member

There must be a big hate for Plushenko on this forum for him to have less votes than Kulik and not many more than Petrenko and Urmanov. Petrenko and Urmanov didn't even deserve their Olympic golds that night, and in mediocre quality events too.

zebraswan likes this.
  23. vipermold

vipermold New Member

I agree with all that. Urmanov's reputation as such an artistic skater was undeserved. It was only since he wore ladies blouses as tops and skated to music from the 1800s.

24. briancoogaert

Who said Urmanov was an artistic skater ? I guess it's much more in comparison to Elvis Stojko.

25. snoopy

snoopy Team St. Petersburg

I agree with this. In retrospect, I don't get all the Kulik love. When I watch his pro programs, I can't even believe this is the same guy - his body line is terrible. At the time though, I thought he was it on a stick. I think his cuteness helped him with fans and judges.

26. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I agree about Plushenko. His performances were definitely more challenging and better than Kulik's. You are correct that there is a lot of hatred for Plushenko on this board.

I disagree that Petrenko and Urmanov didn't deserve their OGMs.

It was close (in 92) between Petrenko & Wylie in the LP. While Paul's program was more pleasing overall, he did make a couple of mistakes. Given the reputation factor, he had to be perfect to beat Petrenko that night.

Given how everyone skated in 94, and since the 6.0 system pretty much took Boitano, Petrenko, Browning out of medal contention, Urmanov totally deserved his OGM. Don't forget that Stojko didn't do the quad and Urmanov had technically perfect jumps (except the 3f).

orientalplane likes this.
  27. volturemean

volturemean New Member

Boitano was never winning in 9 4. Browning or Petrenko maybe if they skated perfectly, but Browning had technically sunk that season. Petrenko was the only one of those three I thought really might win.

28. Marco

Marco Missing Ziggy

Well, Kulik faced much tougher competition to win in 1998 than Plushenko did in 2006. Kulik maintained great speed throughout, whereas Plushenko was slow. Plushenko did have better body line but that really didn't offset the lack of any substantive or meaningful choreography in his programs.

I also feel Petrenko and Urmanov deserved their OGMs. Petrenko's jumps were about twice as big as Wylie's and he did jump combinations, something Wylie didn't do and usually struggled with anyway. Urmanov clearly sold his programs much more in 1994 and beat Stojko on a 8-1 split so I don't know what the fuzz is about.

orientalplane and falling_dance like this.
  29. addamsfamily

addamsfamily New Member

Plushenko's was the best of those. Under IJS Plushenko would easily be the winner in a competition, and under 6.0 toss up between 2002 Yagudin and 2006 Plushenko.

zebraswan likes this.
  30. addamsfamily

addamsfamily New Member

Wylie didn't have tiny jumps, and Petrenko didn't have huge jumps like Browning or Boitano. I think twice as big is an exaggeration. Petrenko is overall a better skater than Wylie with much stronger jumps and technical ability, but that night he was way off. Many large mistakes, 5 mistakes, not as much artistry or selling the program like he can. Wylie had 2 mistakes, but overall skated with more artistry and technically cleaner that night. Who should have won is still a tough call though.