1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Best mens skater of the 90s

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by KimGOAT, Apr 9, 2013.

Best male skater of the 90s

1. Browning

94 vote(s)
    54.3%
  2. Petrenko

9 vote(s)
    5.2%
  3. Stojko

14 vote(s)
    8.1%
  4. Eldredge

12 vote(s)
    6.9%
  5. Urmanov

12 vote(s)
    6.9%
  6. Kulik

32 vote(s)
    18.5%
  1. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

The 90s are my favorite time of skating. Who was the best mens skater of that decade. I think it is between Stojko, Browning, and Petrenko. I think Petrenko though since an Olympic Gold and World Gold is better than 3 World titles and 2 Olympic Silver and 4 Worlds Titles and 3 World Pro titles.

2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Has to be Stojko! Undisputably the guy to beat from the 94-98 period. What he did wasnt pretty, but events were always his to lose. He landed all his big jumps, and he won, even without the quad he was unbeatable skating cleanly for the others.

3. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

Neither Browning or Petrenko competed after the Olympics in 94, so I would think the 80s is more there era. I somewhat agree with judgejudy that is is Stojko. Kulik didn't have his longevity and Yagudin/Plushenko were more of the 2009s than the 90s.

I think Urmanov was a better skater than Stojko - he is one of my all-time faves - but he didn't have the same competitive verve. And unfortunately was hampered by injury in 97 and had to withdraw from that Worlds after the SP. And was leading after the SP, so that Worlds was his to lose.

4. judgejudy27

Agree on Urmanov. He was a wonderful skater, jumper, and stylist, but too inconsistent. His spins and footwork werent great as well though.

5. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I loved Kulik! But Browning is/was amazing, and he deserved an Oly gold. I voted to Kurt.

6. judgejudy27

How could anyone pick Eldredge.

7. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

90's? In that order ... Browning, Kulik, Petrenko and ... Yagudin! :cool:

8. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

Disagree. Browning won three of his four world titles in the 90s. How could the 80s be his era?

9. Manaud

Manaud New Member

Browning not only won 3 world titles in this decade, but followed it up in the pro ranks where he came up with some fantastic programs. Remember back in the 90s there WAS a respectable pro scene with actual competitions, in addition to the hundreds of shows.

10. angelflies

angelflies Active Member

Eldredge was the best skater. He was robbed by judges all the time. He should have won the 1995 Worlds, 1996 Worlds, 1997 Worlds, 1997 GPF, 1998 GPF, and only won one of those. He should have been like Stojko and whine and cry about judges marks when in reality Stojko was way overscored but fooled people into thinking he was way underscored, but Eldredge was too nice to do that, and thus was ignored by judges.

11. Susan M

Susan M Well-Known Member

I voted Kulik because he remains one of my two favorite male skaters of all time (tied with Robin Cousins). Like Browning, Ilia had exceptional ability to feel and express music, but he had 6 strong triples while Browning only had four. Kurt's World titles mostly came during the brief time where men were allowed to do 3A for both the combo and solo jump out of fw in the SP (3A-2T, 3A, 2A). Once the rule changed to require the triples to be different, his weakness in that area really showed and it cost him in both 92 and 94 Olympics. So, first quad, incredible dancing feet, and once-lovely 3A notwithstanding, I think Kulik (with even bigger and more lovely 3A) was the better all-around skater. In addition to superior speed and airy jumps, he had a musicality that made judges fall in love with him at first sight. (I mean, how many guys have won junior worlds and Europeans in the same year?)

I might even go so far as to say Petrenko was also a more complete skater than Kurt. All his jumps were fundamentally sound, and the 3A, 3Lutz and 3Toe especially were totally secure. He also had real range, in that he could sell the elegant classical style as well as the fun, silly stuff. Plus, I just loved his carriage, esp his jump landings. All three of these guys were such great interpreters of music.

12. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

When will the Todd bashing stop? I wish Todd (& Kurt!) had an Olympic medal, but they have had wonderful skating careers otherwise. Re Todd's eligible career: 6 World medals (the last one in 202 should have been silver), 6 US titles, 5 Skate America titles, etc. - not too shabby

I always rooted for Todd & Elvis when they competed. I think Todd was underrated because of the judges' obsession with the quad.

I think this poll (and the similar ones for the other disciplines) should be divided into two separate categories - one for skaters who were Olympic eligible for most of the decade, and those who were pro.

13. Manaud

Manaud New Member

Didn't Petrenko skate the same program over and over and over again?

Habs and (deleted member) like this.
  14. merrywidow

merrywidow Well-Known Member

If Eldredge had skated under COP he & Stojko would have traded their silver & gold medals. Todd was the better all around skater, much faster, too. All he lacked was the quad.

15. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

He also lacked exciting choreography. I have the feeling he skated to the same movie soundtracks for his whole career. ;)

16. miffy

miffy Well-Known Member

Why isn't Yagudin in this poll - he won 2 world titles, & 2 european titles in the 90's - isn't that enough to be included? :( He competed as senior for about the same number of seasons in the 90's and the 00's...

17. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I voted for Stojko, objectively speaking, since he won three world titles, silver at two different Olympics (skating very injured at one, of course) and landed the first quad-triple during that decade.. and quad-double too if I remember right. However, I like Browning better than him.

18. paskatefan

Well, that's your opinion & to each his own. Yes, he did skate to quite a number of movie soundtracks (personally I have no problem with that & he's certainly not the only skater to do that), but he also did some classical & Broadway musical programs. Just for the record, have you ever seen him skate in person?

19. briancoogaert

No, never seen him live.
    As I said, I found him boring compared to Stojko, Candeloro, Zagorodniuk, Kulik... But I have learnt to appreciate his gorgeous basic skating with time. Too late, he had already retired. ;)

20. ZuZu

ZuZu Guest

No Yags? Not even an "0ther" option? Come on, Kurt would've won this anyway! ;)
    And then, Eldredge, with only one (stolen) World title? :confused:
    I've voted for Ilia! :slinkaway

21. paskatefan

Well, better late than never to appreciate his skating. Thank goodness for Youtube!

Ilia is a fantastic skater. I liked him as an eligible, but even more a a pro. Todd earned that World title fair & square! Enough of the bashing, please!

Last edited: Apr 13, 2013
  22. judgejudy27

Eldredge definitely deserved the 96 World title. It is ridiculous to argue for Kulik winning when he had a mistake, had less technical content, and immature artistry then.

However on the whole he was not up with Stojko, Urmanov, Kulik as even a top 3 skater of his era. It was not j

ust about the quad either. Stojko could not attempt or miss his quad, get hammered on artistic marks too, and still was almost certain to beat a clean Eldredge since his other jumps were so much more powerful and superior. That happened many times. Urmanov and Kulik were inconsistent as heck, but when they were on they were much bigger threats than Eldredge which is why they are both Olympic Champions and there is arguably no Olympics Eldredge could have medalled at even with his best skates. One could even argue Candelero as being above Eldredge in that era since he has 2 Olympic medals vs none for Todd. That is not even counting the skaters whose generation crossed over into Eldredges who competed against him alot who are generally superior- Browning, Petrenko, Yagudin, Plushenko, for starters.

He was a good skater but nothing that set him apart. His jumps were nowhere near as powerful or high quality as Stojko, Kulik, Yagudin, Plushenko, or even Urmanov, his artistry was nowhere near Yagudin, Urmanov, and a matured Kulik; his footwork was never great. His spins were his best asset but Stojko, Browning, Wylie, and some others he competed against were just as strong there.

If I were to sum up Eldredge I would say he is an excellent skater who was top 5 in the World most of his competitive days, but as far as skating style and abilities amongst the very best he is basically a poor mans Lysacek if one is to be as generous as possible.

23. Katarzyna

Katarzyna Well-Known Member

I too voted for Urmanov. I loved this guy - the elegance, the carriage, the skating skills. :swoon:

I still remember Worlds in 1997 and how devastated I was when he had to withdraw. I could hardly watch figures skating at the beginning of next season. It's a pity he never won World championships. :(

24. Habs

Habs Well-Known Member

ITA. It's such a shame Urmanov never won a world title.

25. Japanfan

Japanfan Well-Known Member

I think both have could have done well under COP. Stojko had strong basics, was neat and fast on the blade, and had quite good spins. His biggest limitation was his attitude - it seemed that he didn't want to grow as an all-around skater and his artistic range became very limited, as was evident when he brought back his '94 martial arts program to the 2002 Olympics. That was sad to me. Plus, he did value the jumps more. One of his comments during the 2010 Olympics was that 'when men skate lyrical, it's boring'.

But if he had grown up with COP, he might have had a very different attitude.

IMO when Eldredge was on, his jumps were a thing of beauty. His 1492 program at 2001 Worlds, when he won silver, immediately comes to mind. At his best, his technique was in itself an art. What he didn't have that the others did was a quad.

Stojko was a powerful jumper, but he always landed his jumps hunched over, which was unattractive. I wonder if that would mean a lower GOE under COP?

As to footwork, I have to question the other skaters' footwork as well. Yagudin's 2002 programs were both entertaining and well-performed, but the footwork was simple and there was a lot of two-foot skating. Skaters didn't need complex footwork to be at the top under 6.0, not like they do under COP. Though that's not to say none of the above skaters did excellent footwork - Browning certainly did, and I thought Stojko's footwork in the Bruce Lee/martial arts and his Taiko drums SP was excellent.

Last edited: Apr 16, 2013
  26. judgejudy27

Even when Stojko missed the quad or landed the quad but missed other things that negated it, or when he didnt do the quad at all, his technical marks were still always much higher than a clean Eldredge, hence why even getting hammered in artistic marks, and even without doing anymore jumps than Eldredge or both missing the same # he still always won. That proves the judges consider Stojko to have much better quality and more powerful jumps, equally good spins, and much better footwork. Elredge only beat Stojko in 1 competition between Worlds 1991 until Worlds 2001. Well 2 if you count the Sears Open Pro Am.

Eldredge was the Butyrskaya of his era. He could win medals (usually still not gold) when alot of Urmanov, Stojko, Kulik, Plushenko, Yagudin, and Candelero messed up badly enough, and if he himself skated cleanly. He was a poor mans Lysacek basically. Still an excellent skater, just not the very highest caliber is all.

27. paskatefan

^ My goodness. Your disdain and insults to Todd & Evan are unbelievable. :eek:

28. os168

os168 Active Member

I vote for Casablanca. Kurt elevate the sport to something beyond. Simply the best.

29. briancoogaert

I agree, Casablanca is the best male skater of the 90s ! :p

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  30. duane

duane New Member

As an Elvis fanatic in the 1990's, this is not true. Can you even name a competition where Elvis missed the quad while Todd skated cleanly, but Elvis still received higher technical marks? And, I recall few competitions where Elvis landed the quad but missed other things, and even fewer competitions where Elvis didn't land more jumps than Todd. The reason Elvis always got much higher technical scores is because Elvis usually landed all the jumps while Todd rarely did. I do recall both of them skating clean SPs (97 Worlds), and Todd received the higher technical marks.