Best male skater of the 2000s

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kwanlysacek, Jan 30, 2013.

?

Best male skaters of the 2000s

1. Lysacek

19 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. Plushenko

77 vote(s)
    25.2%
  3. Yagudin

109 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Lambiel

44 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. Takahashi

50 vote(s)
    16.4%
  6. Joubert

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. lala

lala Well-Known Member

:lol: I believed, I'm the only one who thinks Dima can't sing...;) But the song is great, I like it.

2. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Joubert also had medical issues that season - he spiked his blade into his foot and suffered tendon and ligament damage two and a half months before Vancouver (he missed the GPF and French Nats as a result). Lysacek had a stress fracture that was diagnosed over a year earlier, and yet we heard about it ad nauseam, as if he was facing a huge challenge compared to the other guys.

The achievement of winning an OGM can't be taken from Lysacek, but this is not equivalent to, say, the ladies event in which many skaters were in :kickass: form, or SLC with Yagudin and Plushenko in their prime.

Finally we are in agreement on something.

Short-lived agreement, though.

3. Glacier cat

Glacier cat New Member

Lysacek didnt win Dancing with the Stars too.:barrel

4. lala

lala Well-Known Member

It's matter of taste, too. :)

5. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Well, he should have! I'm not a Lysachek fan-though I don't hate him either-but I was furious he didn't win DWTS that year. What's her face was a ringer! She had it won before the season started. (Nicole Schw...something. Talk about trashy!) I think Evan did a great job and danced very well-and looked very elegant. In fact, I might like him better as a dancer than a skater. I had never watched that show before and will not again. If I'm going to watch ballroom, which I really love, it's going to be the high quality competitions.

6. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

I voted for Mr. Lambiel. Love his moves. I wish it could have been multiple choice, however, and more skaters added to the poll. I also love Yagudin, Lysacek and Timothy Goebel ... bronze medalist and bravo with his quad! :40beers: :respec:

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Evan was a ringer too. :p Nicole Scherzinger was freaking awesome and had the best choreographer/partner in Derek Hough. They were the best DWTS pairing ever for me.

Maybe we ought to make a poll :lol:... best performance by a figure skater in DWTS... who else is there besides Lysacek, Yamaguchi, and van der Perren? Navka and Biellman did the Eurovision dance contest but it was a one off.

8. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I didn't see that post, thank you. So, is trolling about being intentionally or unintentionally funny?:lol: kwanlysacek probably just wants to amuse people and I can see no harm in that.
    Then again, when I come to think of it, who knows what would happen at the Sochi Olympics if Lysacek were serious about returning and could land a quad or two. He scored really high in Vancouver for programs with no quads, especially his SP score stands the test of time. I suspect a clean Lysacek with a quad, the PC boost for the quad and the 10% bonus for jumps done in the second half of the program would be high up there with a clean Hanyu, a clean Chan, a clean Takahashi and most likely a clean Plushenko. And Lysacek's OGM reputation would do the rest.:kickass:

Does Orser know about this best of the decade poll? How can we get Orser here to vote for Plushenko?;)

9. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Yes, it does seem like the stars aligned for Lysacek to become an Olympic champion. However, I don't think we should go the ""he was lucky" way in judging a win we are not particularly happy with. Some people are of the opinion that Lambiel wouldn't have won any of his world titles if Plushenko had been around or that Takahashi would have finished third again like in Vancouver if Lysacek and Plushenko had competed at 2010 Worlds in Italy. In which case, none of them would be listed in any best of the decade poll. But I agree with the rest of your post.:)

10. Holley Calmes

How was Evan a ringer? He hadn't ever had any ballroom and Nichole was a trained dancer. That just doesn't seem fair at all not only to Evan but to the rest of the pack that year, whoever they were. I don't remember. I agree she was really good although I can't compare her to any other year's crop. That was the only year I've watched.

11. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Many people consider figure skaters ringers because their sport involves performing choreography to music, spinning, footwork, attention to posture and lines, etc. When Kristi was announced there was definitely a feeling of her being a ringer who was guaranteed to win, which she did. Nicole was more of a ringer than Evan but if she hadn't been there he would've been considered the ringer of the season. His participation could be considered unfair to the others.

12. Holley Calmes

Well, I guess we can speculate all night, but I still remember reading/hearing about how hard Evan had to work to get the technique and stylistics of each dance down....but of course hard work is probably his greatest talent. I enjoyed watching him more than watching that hoochie mama. ;) I think I said up thread that I enjoyed his dancing more than his skating. No, he isn't anywhere near the other skaters to me, but I do have a great respect for his work ethic.

It's all PR deals. Nicole was trying to emerge as a serious star at that time and had a lot of publicity elsewhere going on too. I don't see her in the media as much as back then. She is a beautiful girl-I just didn't like the way she packaged herself. Good luck to her.

13. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Takahashi skated much better at Worlds than at the Games. I dont think either Lysacek or Plushenko could have beaten him personally. His winning score was basically a virtual tie with their Vancouver scores too but scoring at Vancouver was ridiculously high so essentialy was higher.

As for Lambiel, I think he would have been alot more motivated if he hadnt won the 05 and 06 Worlds and probably won in the future, especialy as he could have won any of 2007-2009 with his 2006 performances. He admitted to losing motivation after his success in 05-06, and that the last 2 years before his first retirement were a struggle, and the main reason why he left. As far as his Oly Gold chances, not having won Worlds as early as he did might have been better for him anyway, as obviously his chances peaking for 2010 would be 10x higher than peaking for 2006. Anyway Plushenko was not on his way to the gold even had he skated out the 2005 Worlds (granted he was injured while competing, but the record books would have still recorded him as a silver or bronze medalists if he didnt WD, hence why he WD, lol)

14. yaya124

yaya124 New Member

I think he withdrew because he was too injured to continue. Even if he could get silver or bronze if he continued, he could risk further injure himself beyond repair for the Olympics. Just saying...

15. umronnie

umronnie Active Member

I think so, too. First, Plushy is not oe to give up. Second, I wet back and checked the results after the short. He had a 7 poit differece from Lambiel, and Lambiel was not known as a consistent skater back then. It was quite possible for him to win, unless he was too injured.

16. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Actually I think 2005 was the year he had pnumonia and skated with a massive temperature and had to go to hospital straight after the SP...he collapsed on the ice during the qualifying round and Joubert cattily accused him of faking it.

17. senorita

senorita New Member

No, I dont know anything pneumonia. He had breathing problems at Euros 2006.

2005 was the year with hernia problems, he participated in one Gp and didnt want to go the final, to which he qualified as an alternative because Weir withdrew. Then by Worlds 2005 he was a mess and he had double hernia and skated with injections again the Q round without quad and the sp falling flat. There was a lot of fight with RF wanting him to qualify 3 men for Olys, but he was unable to move, had a surgery after Worlds and the rehab took a lot of months. If you remember many discussions had taken place about how he would comeback in less than a year fixed with glue to go to Olys.

18. umronnie

umronnie Active Member

the more things change the more they stay the same...

19. lala

lala Well-Known Member

20. kitasakaba

kitasakaba New Member

definitely Yag.
    His skating is elegant and beautiful.
    And he is handsome.:swoon:

21. lala

lala Well-Known Member

He isn't a great guy, period.

22. NONKO

NONKO Active Member

Hardly to understand why you can say such a thing.
    All above skaters have been doing much more efforts than general people, so they became Olympic and world champions. All guys are great!
    Why don't you respect them? Or can you do efforts as much as they did,even if you replaced joints or lost ligaments?

23. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I respect Alexei Yagudin as a skater, I really think, he is one of the greatest skater, in this forum :D he is the best. But I don't like him as a person. Sometimes he is a rude man in civil life, I read his tweets, and I was surprised in january. Didn't you read them?
    After that @AlexeiNews:
    http://twitter.com/AlexeiNews/status/288753405902610434
    "I will not comment on Alexei's comments lately. Or condemn or condone his thoughts or feelings.i merely translate or choose not to"

You know, I'm angry. Maybe you know the scandal in Russia, between Plush and a journalist. Yag was asked in this matter, and what did he answer?
    http://www.sovsport.ru/news/text-item/587197
    Alexei Yagudin: Plushenko able to recover faster than normal people
    - Nuances of scandal, I do not know, so comment on the situation, I would not want to. I can only say that we live in a free country, where everyone is entitled to their opinion - said Yagudin.
    - Chances for gold Games Plushenko is?
    - At the Olympics everything can happen. Of course, the chances of Eugene more than an athlete from South Africa or some other exotic country.

You know, Yag always grab every opportunity to be a little bad to say about Plush. Opposite situation this is not true. Plu always speaks with great respect on Alexei. He was invited to Plushy's birthday show, he participated in it, after he said such sentences? Probably a good deal of money received for participation ..

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  24. Holley Calmes

TROLL TIME!!! This should be fun. Thanks, lala, for enlivening my day. I wait with bated breath for the entertaining fallout this should generate.

25. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

Le Petit Prince is my favorite, but the best all-around competitor and showman had to be Yagudin. I'm not a big fan of some of the things that he has said, but no one could beat him when he was on. He made the sport of skating a true sport - a competition.

26. SkateFan66

SkateFan66 Active Member

Lysacek won the 2009/2010 Grand Prix Final.

As far as past results, since the 2006 Olympics (where he finished 4th), Lysacek only missed the podium once in a international competition, (5th at 2007 WC). Not too shabby.

Regardless of whether you like his style of skating, there is no denying the fact that Lysacek has had a great career. He has was two-time US champion, two-time 4CC champion, Grand Prix Final winner, World Champion, Olympic champion, and two-time world bronze medalist.

27. lala

lala Well-Known Member

My pleasure...:hat1:

28. NONKO

NONKO Active Member

It's a pity, if you feel anything bad in these words.
    Alexei said congratulations to Plushenko and Yana for their baby birth.
    https://mobile.twitter.com/yagudinofficial/status/288008767298207745

As far as I know, Alexei is charming and sweet as a person, and is loved in the world, from children till elder people, by ladies and men very much. And his fans always stand by his side and support him, no matter what happens.:)

If you ask me, I'm not interested in any scandals. Just respect them as a skater and wish get well soon as a person when they are injured.

You look to like scandals better than support a skater. You are lucky to live in a free country, where everyone is entitled to their opinion;)

29. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I'm not Russian. ;) But I live in a free country, thank God! I know that Alexei congratulated to them for their newborn baby, because I read his tweets. I'm one of some people who read the Yagudinofficial. But if you read his tweets, you need to know what happened at orthodox Christmas. The girl who talked with Yag closed her twitter account, maybe she was scared :D
    In the free countries everyone is entitled to their opinion, but the defamation or slander aren't free, what the journalist did. I just read from a very smart people:
    "1. No one shall be subjected to arbitrary or unlawful interference with his privacy, family, home or correspondence, nor to unlawful attacks on his honour and reputation.
    2. Everyone has the right to the protection of the law against such interference or attacks. "

And you're not talking about the essence. I think, it would have been elegant, if Yag says: I don't think that Plushenko had no surgery and it was a PR trick. It's impossible. That was a sneaky sentence, what Yag said. And as I said, it wasn't the first time, when Yag says a little bit bad things about the civil and the athlete Plush. And I read many statements of Alexei. Still Plush is very patient, he never says bad opinion about Yag, always praises him.
    And I don't understand, why do you think, that I love the scandal? But I don't like the injustice!