Best male skater of the 2000s

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kwanlysacek, Jan 30, 2013.

Best male skaters of the 2000s

1. Lysacek

19 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. Plushenko

77 vote(s)
    25.2%
  3. Yagudin

109 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Lambiel

44 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. Takahashi

50 vote(s)
    16.4%
  6. Joubert

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Yes...but adopting some arms movements and occasional poses between skateskateskating between jumps here and there does not evoke the essense of one of the greatest dancers who ever lived. Sorry.

2. senorita

senorita New Member

Instead of all the long hot debate posts I would have stated:
    Plushenko cause he has won sth the rest havent. Eurovision.:hat1:

3. rayhaneh

rayhaneh Active Member

:lol:

Congratulations, you just won an 8 pages long debates hands down :D

4. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Can you provide a list of competitions and the number of 6.0s he received in each?

5. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I found this: http://www.kingonice.com/evgeni6-0.htm Only 5 of the 75 were received during the 2003-2004 season internationally. I personally discount the ones from Nationals (too freely given in most countries) and those Marshalls and Campbell's thingies, and a couple of them are for technical merit not presentation. Still, a good haul overall, and surely not all attributable to skate order.

6. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Very impressive. Be interesting to compare to other skaters.

7. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

I was trying to find Kwan's... she'd be a great comparison since she competed during the same years (starting a bit earlier), but surprisingly, I couldn't find a list of all her 6.0s.

8. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Can't argue with that :D I still think it's inexcusable that there was no skating in the intermission show the year after.

Does that mean KvdP wins this decade, as he's won Dancing with the Stars?

9. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

:lol:
    They are all GREAT ...... winning gold in main events.
    For the sake of FUN (ubers don't :lynch: me), I will only choose ONE to vote on .. tough choice .. and my vote goes to Yag. :p

10. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

I don't get why some people are so obsessed to prove there's something wrong with skaters they don't like. Did I ever like Kwan? Never! But how many times did I reply on Youtube to haters who were bashing her and called her an unworthy skater? Many, many times!
    For example Joubert being a successful skater only because of his looks and nude pictures is insulting anybody's intelligence IMO. To me Joubert is more attractive than Prince Charming :D yet I don't like him as a skater, but I respect his achievements a lot.
    Not to mention "Plushenko's flailing is ugly but my favorite skaters can flail as much as they want because they are gracious and wonderful"! Please!!!!:rolleyes:

11. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

Plushenko, just like other skaters listed here, had everything he needed to win important competitions. What else does he need, Nours' approval?
    Let's call all of them "best" and close the thread. :fan:
    By the way, if Marton's name has been dropped, we should also mention Plushenko's wife, right? :rolleyes:

12. misskarne

misskarne #408

I always thought one of the most hilarious things after Vancouver were the people saying "Evan's programs were so beautiful and artistic, and Plushenko was just flailing!" I'm all...yeah...you can't have one without the other.

13. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

14. spikydurian

spikydurian Well-Known Member

Where can I find them? I WANT TO SEE them! :grope: At least Joubert can strip and look good in his birthday suit.:swoon:

15. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

I don't know much about trolling, how was the OP a troll? Because they said Lysacek was the best of the decade without explaining why they think he was? I've understood Proustable voted for Lysacek by mistake but how about the other 14 people who clicked on Lysacek's name, were they all trolling?:confused: Lysacek won a couple of gold medals when it counted, didn't he? And he beat along the way skating skills phenom Chan - who said Lysacek's skating looks labored? It's obviously not true lol -, charismatic performer Joubert, fierce competitor & quad jumper Plushenko and artistic skaters Lambiel, Takahashi and Weir. Lysacek is not a popular skater? I agree, he is not but since when is popularity an indication of greatness? See the Gangnam style versus Beethoven.:p

No, Joubert didn't but Tomas Verner did and just look at the number of views and Likes for this video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=VxchLX4askA#t=117s

What is Brian waiting for to take off his pants? I'm pretty sure he too has some legs to show.:swoon:

16. misskarne

misskarne #408

Definite troll.

17. senorita

senorita New Member

Maybe Lysacek is better than Plush since when it mattered the most, he beat him?:cold:

Joubert showed some leg when his costume unstrapped last year at Euros. He was so cool keep skating with it.
    Yes yes Kevin wins, I had told my friends to vote for him :cheer2: he was certainly missed in Zagreb.

18. umronnie

umronnie Well-Known Member

No, no, no. Kevin won a national competition. Eurvision is a continental competition. Can Kevin sing? :)

19. senorita

senorita New Member

Why? Can Plushenko sing?:lol:
    (Dima Bilan cant either but thats another point..:slinkaway)

20. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

Joubert shows his undies in a fluff piece at Eurosport one year. Should be on YouTube somewhereD:D:D

21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

See misskarne's response.

I did not say regular Sex Bomb, I said Baby Sex Bomb. And Brian does not take his clothes off for galas, only for fluffs (just search for Joubert & underwear on Youtube :p). Though as senorita noted, he did show some leg at Euros last year ;)

I'm not sure I want to find out, though it is hardly a prerequisite for winning Eurovision. But here are Joubert's efforts in that respect.

22. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

Damn! I've already voted for Plushenko, could I change my vote?:D:p Brian is the best ever, no doubt!;)

23. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I remember Joubert stepping off the ice at Calgary Worlds a few years ago and tearing off his shirt on his way backstage. There was actually a collective gasp heard around the arena :lol:

Anyway, this contest is over, because the obvious winner is Yagudin. There is no more important measure in skating that an FSU poll. :rollin:

24. lauravvv

lauravvv Well-Known Member

Someone should make a 'Best male skater of the 2000s except Yagudin/Plushenko' poll ;).

25. lala

lala Well-Known Member

No matter, me and many other people think that is pure magic. :)

26. shine

shine Well-Known Member

I'm not sure if you were hinting at posts that I have made :D I'm not sure about others, but in all honesty I am definitely capable of writing pages and pages explaining why Lambiel's skating makes me :swoon:, in precise dissertation form if neccessary. I just try hard to keep my uberdom in check so that I don't turn other posters off like what lala has done :D Also, not all of us are blessed with infinite time. I mean, I'd rather be spending the limited time that I have watching, for example, my beloved Lambiel videos and sharing them with others who might enjoy them rather than trying to convince other posters in endless debates like this which neither side's opinions will ever be changed. :)

27. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

No, not you or anyone specific, but a bunch of posts early on that are just basically saying "Lambiel is the best, so I voted for him!" Which as I said, is fine. I totally agree with you. It's not really adding anything for substantive debate, just explaining why they voted the way they did. And lala can't expect for everyone to write a post like she did, or to expect that if no one comes up with a similar breakdown of why their choice exceeds Plushy in each category, that it can be said that Plush "won" the thread. It is not necessary and it would be impossible to prove that Lambiel is the most artistic, most awesome, whatever, even though one certainly could make a convincing argument about skating quality by tallying up all his levels/points for spins, the amount of times he got level 4 footwork, breakdown of his PCS, number of quads attempted/landed, firsts on the international level for Switzerland, fan clubs around the world, display of all his beautiful programs over the years, programs he has choreographed for others, participation in shows like Opera on Ice, etc, etc. It can be done, but is not necessary to justify one's opinion. And indeed, if done in an aggressive way, can turn people off.

28. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Well Evan is none of:

-The most accomplished skater of the decade. Plushenko and Yagudin both achieved MUCH more this decade than him, and that is with Yagudin achieving a ton the previous decade too and having his career ended way prematurely by injury to boot. His Olympic Gold isnt even an edge on those guys who both won the Olympics in far more spectacular fashion with performance that would have obliterated Vancouver Evan, just as they obliterated the stronger fields they faced those given years.

-The highest level of peak skating of the decade. In this he would probably be dead last. Plushenko, Yagudin, Lambiel, Takahashi, Chan, Joubert, at their best would all beat the Lysacek of Vancouver or 2007 Nationals.

-The biggest impact on skating. In this too he would probably be dead last.

-The best longevity. That would be Joubert.

-The most consistency over the decade. That would be Plushenko when he competed.

-The best technical skills, the best artistic skills, the most dominance, the most medals, the most gold medals. Evan would be none of those things. Heck he has only 4 combined World or Olympic medals his whole career, and something like only 7 total international titles (only 3 regular grand prix wins).

So essentialy there would be absolutely no reason to vote for him other than trolling or extreme fandom. :lol: So he beat most of those skaters in one competition? Big deal. Plushenko, Lambiel, Takahashi, Chan, and Joubert have all beaten all those skaters minus Yagudin (who Evan never faced or beat either) in one competition, most of those numerous ones, as well. Beating a really old Plushenko, past his best Lambiel, back from injury and not fully back Takahashi, past his best Joubert, and back from injury and also well before peak years Chan, does not make one of the skater of the decade.

29. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Today was the most entertaining debate in this matter. :)

And Yagudin won the poll. :encore::40beers: He has 93 votes. Plushy has 67 and so on... ;)
    Tomas Verner:
    "It's without mentioning of Evgeni Plushenko - probably the only one skater in the world, capable alone to filed full arena."
    Brian Orser:
    Plushenko - supertalant. And the fact that he is still willing and able to compete with much younger children, is admirable. What really surprised me in Zagreb - is his refusal to quadruple jump in the short program. Because Plushenko - unbeaten fighter. After that he made at the last European Championships in Sheffield, I became his fan. True. Remember thinking, OK, we have to admit he is a god figure skating, if he can fight like this. It was amazing! I did see him in training - such a calm, even relaxed. But Plushenko knows exactly how to get together when you go to the start. I know that he really wants to come to Sochi, and I can only wish him a full recovery and get in shape. Such men as he pushed all the other forward. This is for my students. They look at him with wide eyes. Besides Plushenko - the kind of person who surrounds the special aura they create around themselves a special atmosphere. And it's impossible to miss.

and so on..

:)

30. DaiKozOda

DaiKozOda Active Member

:rofl: