Best male skater of the 2000s

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kwanlysacek, Jan 30, 2013.

Best male skaters of the 2000s

1. Lysacek

19 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. Plushenko

77 vote(s)
    25.2%
  3. Yagudin

109 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Lambiel

44 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. Takahashi

50 vote(s)
    16.4%
  6. Joubert

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. lala

lala Well-Known Member

OK. Tell me your objective facts, please. And you perfectly know, the video and the messages weren't my arguments. :) I just showed them, because were some really inaccurate post about him. My arguments were, career, longevity, impact on FS etc. But I said this is FSU, so I'm not surprised.
    I'm sure if anybody will ask this question 20 years time, and read the lexicons, everybody will know the answer.
    And I don't want supporters or friends.
    Finally thank you for your patient because of my english. I wanted my best. :lol:

2. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Lala, a few questions

a) Patrick Chan has received more tens for performance/execution and interpretation from the judges than Plushenko has. Both have competed under COP on the senior stages for the same number of seasons (6). Would it be fair to then assert that Chan is better at performance/execution and interpretation than Plushenko is?

b) If not (as I expect the answer to be from anyone), than is it fair to assert that because the judges gave Plushenko more 6.0 marks than anyone else in history objectively means he's the most artistic skater? If so, why? Why doesn't context matter?

c) Given that the original poster specified the 2000s as well as a specific season frame (2000/2001 to 2009/2010), is my information about Plushenko's competitive record actually wrong? If so, where? If not, is it fair for you to accuse me of not having "exact informations"?

d) What is the difference, for you, between "most decorated" and "competitive record." To me, they are the same thing and to list them twice reaffirms your subjective position as opposed to the objective position you claim to espouse.

e) Is impact solely measured by moves created? Firsts achieved?

f) Is Youtube an accurate measure of true "memorabilty?" Is their a direct correlation between number of views and true memorability? If I can find a Patrick Chan performance that has more views than a Kurt Browning Performance (Worlds 2012 LP vs Nyah, fwiw) does that mean that the Chan performance is more memorable? Is memorable inherently a positive thing?

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Career, longevity are not objective facts of being better. Tara Lipinski had a better career than Jenna McCorkell.
    And impact is subjective. ;)
    Well, that kind of choice is personnal and depends on what is more important for us. :)

4. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Since this is FSU I am NOT surprised that several posters have absolutely made my day by posting some marvelous stuff! Thank you, Shine, for that gorgeous, balletic, emotionally uplifting video of Lambiel to Traviata. As someone who works with dancers, he is one of the most balletic, graceful skaters I have ever seen. I think I need to go watch that again a few dozen times-it absolutely lifted my heart! And Zemgirl for the Olympic entrances...I had to find Switzerland and was watching Sweden...was that Bill Clinton marching there behind the Sweden flagbearer? Haha...sorry. It looks like him anyway.

More! Send more Takahashi, more Lambiel, more Joubert videos! I don't care who's the "best." They're all wonderful!

5. bek

bek Guest

I prefer Yagudin as a skater and I think in the battle of whose better the fact that at the majority of Worlds they competed at and at the Olympics, Yagudin came on top illustrates to me who is really the better skater... Yagudin won that battle.

However, if I'm going to say who is the best of that decade I give it to Plushenko because he competed for most of that decade, Yagudin didn't. And Plushenko's longevity is frankly unreal.

Greatest rivalry though in men's skating.

6. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

The Parade of Nations is the best part of any Olympic opening ceremony. That they had everyone speed through it in London was inexcusable; I'd rather see the athletes than a tribute to tributes. In Vancouver, the best part is playing spot the skaters - you can see Florent Amodio jumping up and down next to Olivier Schoenfelder, Julia Sebestyen with the flag in her fourth Olympics and KvdP with the flag for the second time, among others. It's also very moving to see the Georgians walk into the stadium.

Okay, back on topic, and as per your request: here's a first by Joubert: first (and for six years, only) skater to land three quads in a program under the IJS. I figure that adjusting for scoring inflation, his 160 and change is more like 175 or so. As for Dai, I only fell for him when he did Bachelorette at the 2008 Worlds gala. Love that program. Kenji Miyamoto makes everything better and for me it's >>>> his Swan Lake; I can't imagine another skater doing as good a job with that music (no, not even Stephane).

7. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

You're wasting your time here, Lala. Better go and post on Evgeni's facebook, twitter, website, he really needs our support now. I bet we're more than 100, right? ;)

8. Holley Calmes

Thanks Zemgirl! Those were amazing! What a beautiful beast Joubert was/is! Regardless of his costume. Dai's Swan Lake is my all time favorite of his, but I find him infinitely enjoyable regardless.

9. Wiery

Wiery Well-Known Member

This American votes for Plushenko, at least for technical achievements. He's the most successful competitor in the sport's history (my opinion only), and his jumps are still the standard to which everyone else is compared. There may be other skaters I prefer for various reasons: Lambiel, Chan, Takahashi, Yagudin, Kulik, Weir, Joubert, Buttle, Abbott, but IMO, no one jumps better and more consistently than Plushenko, and no one is a more fierce competitor. I respect him for what he has achieved and contributed to the sport. :swoon::kickass:

10. lala

lala Well-Known Member

a.) Chan isn't on list, because he didn't skate too much in 2000th.
    b.) I didn't say, he is the most artistic skater, I just disproved the claim that he isn't artistric skater and Yag is more artistic skater like Plush.
    c.)2000/2001 to 2009/20010 Plushenko has three olympic medals, 3 time W champion, 5 time E champion, yes, 3time GPFwinner and 2times silver medalist( yes, you are right, 1 time he was in 1999), 13 Gp winner, and 8 time Rus Nat champion. (Yagudin has never been Rus Nat champion)
    d.) most decorated: I meant: he has the most titles
    competitive record: he was only five time silver medalist( in 2001 GPF, 2002 SLC, and 2003 GPF, 2004GPF and 2004 ECH) but in the other competitions he won gold. He wasn't worse!!!!
    e.) No, he has changed the FS, he has shaped the FS, he did some elements for the first time in Fs history.
    f.)memorability: Do you think, who is interested in FS, doesn't remember him? And the people didn't remember his fantastic performances? His Ex in Torino, his Godfather, St. Petersbourg 300, Bolero, EX programs-Sex bomb, Asissay, Hafanana etc.? And you believe me, if anybody don't interested in FS, knows his name. He received some international awards, he is always a guest for the big shows in Europe and Asia. And he was guest many times in COI. He has own show the Kings on Ice. His friend is E Marton, he has a Stradivari violin, and Plush skated to his music. The people didn't forget this, because this is unique.

11. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I don't understand your examples.

12. Holley Calmes

Lala, I admire your persistence, but the more you go on and on, the bigger hole you are digging for yourself. If you haven't changed anyone's mind by now, you won't. Yags beat Plush when it counted-at the Olympics, generally perceived as the highest award in figure skating at least in my world, in the only time they went head to head in an Olympic venue. I'll take that, but I don't begrudge you your opinions or want to be unkind.

I wish you well. However, I'm pretty put off anything to do with Plushenko for awhile. Don't take any PR jobs, lala, but you might make a great lawyer. I mean that kindly. I know a good fighter when I see one. I hope you channel that wonderful sense of "never give up" into something that will mean something significant for your life.

13. lala

lala Well-Known Member

;)

14. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I replied Proustable. :)

15. Zemgirl

I don't think you understand anyone's examples. Or, for that matter, what the focus of this thread is. You keep insisting that you are "proving" and "disproving" things when all you are doing is presenting the same subjective points over and over. In doing so, you've achieved exactly the opposite of what you've set out to do.

Which is to say, I should have picked Lambiel or Joubert. And Holley is right: Yagudin won the one that matters.

16. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Yes, for you. ;)

17. senorita

senorita New Member

True. Yagudin won most of their battles. This needed a poll for someone to figure out?

So whats the focus of this thread? Because if you read the whole 6 pages at once , it is the 600th thread about Plushenko vs Yagudin with very few exceptions of a post. And it all comes down to personal preference and what the people like/remember/love watching the most, like lets say..Youtube.

Jenna's husband competed the whole decade and left last Worlds with a great skate. For me Kevin is the best skater of the decade.:kickass:

18. shine

shine Well-Known Member

Isn't he! :swoon: And he combines it with such musicality and freedom. I love the way he skates as if with his eyes closed, in his own world.
    Yes, I might be wrong but I think it is the only serpentine sequence to have received a level 4. I didn't post the Olympic version though because that unfortunately wasn't one of his better performances to Traviata even artistically, as he skated very tight throughout. I didn't post the Euros version either because he fell during the final steps... I wish we had been left with more competition versions of La Traviata because neither of the two did justice to the wonderful program imo.

19. SmallFairy

SmallFairy Well-Known Member

20. Zemgirl

Well, the OP was a troll who wanted to tell us about the greatness of Lysacek, But the thread is about who is the greatest skater of a specific decade, namely, the 2000-1 through the 2009-10 season. I thought Proustable made a good argument about who was strongest in different areas during this timeframe, but Lala has since been quite insistent that Plushenko was always the best, most memorable, most accomplished, most artistic, most beloved etc. etc. Her rationale for this, I'm afraid, is unpersuasive, and it's a turnoff even for people who are inclined to think well of Plushenko.

I actually did pick Plushenko; I'd vote Yags for best career, not best in a decade in which he only competed for two full seasons. I think a case can also be made for Lambiel and Joubert. Lysacek for me didn't do enough for long enough, while Takahashi's best work, like Yagudin's, spans two separate decades.

Ha. But he left in a different decade than he started. I'll give him credit for an entertaining K&C reaction to his first Euros bronze.

21. lala

lala Well-Known Member

22. ciocio

ciocio Active Member

I've almost always liked Yagudin more than Plushenko when they were competing together, but what Plushenko did after 2002 was also amazing and memorable to me in terms of programs, accomplishments, etc. So my vote went to him because he competed for seven years between 2000-2010 and did a lot of great stuff. :plush:
    And I'm a real Yagudin fan not like those who just use him name to bash Plushenko.:p

23. lala

lala Well-Known Member

24. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Fine program from Plush, but yes, I have seen better programs from others.

I don't believe you have the authority to close a thread.

25. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

:lol: How about lala was joking re Thread closed?

26. Zemgirl

If we did a pairs version of this thread it would be closed - well, ended - pretty quickly, since it is so very obvious that Shen and Zhao should win.

27. skateboy

skateboy Well-Known Member

Yes, I realize that. ;) But it seems that this poster has to have the last word about Plush being "the best," won't stop until every FSU poster agrees with her (which will never happen) and it's getting annoying.

28. rayhaneh

rayhaneh Active Member

It's getting annoying?

You're so much more patient than I am :lol::saint:

To Lala's defence though, she makes some good points, or at least they open the debate, it's just the "trying to get everyone to agree" bit that's driving people batty ;)

Last edited: Feb 5, 2013
  29. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I was joking, it seems you lost the sense of humor. :) That's interesting in other topic " best female skater in 2000th" is the most important argument who has the most tittles. What is this if not double standards?:lol:

30. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Thank you, sometimes the people are so annoying...:lol: