Best male skater of the 2000s

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kwanlysacek, Jan 30, 2013.

?

Best male skaters of the 2000s

1. Lysacek

19 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. Plushenko

77 vote(s)
    25.2%
  3. Yagudin

109 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Lambiel

44 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. Takahashi

50 vote(s)
    16.4%
  6. Joubert

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I would like to think that this is because Joubert's fans admire his skating, but realize that other skaters have accomplished more than he has; while Lysacek's fans, or at least the poster who started this thread, maybe believe (wrongly, IMO) that an OGM makes him one of the all time greats.

Also, I don't think there are that many fans of Joubert on FSU. But he did survive way longer than Lysacek in that off-season Survivor game ;)

I can't get behind voting for Yagudin in this poll; I don't think someone can be considered the best in a decade if that person only skated two years out of said decade.

2. shine

shine Well-Known Member

:respec:

3. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

For me it's Yagudin. If it weren't for injuries he might have continued competing and won more World and Olympic medals. Plushenko is great but to me Yagudin was the more well-rounded of the two much better artistically imo.

4. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Well:
    most decorated -Plushenko
    competitive rekord-Plushenko
    impact on sport-Plushenko(Plushenko's spiral, first 4-3-2 combo, first 4-3-3 combo, he was the first who did donuts spin and Bielmann spin in man senior comp.)
    technical achievement-Plushenko
    memorability-I think Plushenko-2-3 weeks ago I read in an american article he is the most known figure skater
    skating skills-I think they about the same
    longevity-Plushenko
    artistry - Plushenko, surprisingly for some people :) I have examined the same period of their First World CH to six years (Because Yagudin had 6 years 1996-2002, thus Plushenko 1998 to 2004.
    Plushenko has 75 6.0 most of them presentation marks. He was the youngest male skater ever (16) who received perfect scores. Yagudin: I didn't count, but clearly less.

5. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I'm not going to get into a Plush vs Yags battle, but there's no way an American article would say that Plushenko is the most known figure skater - maybe in Russia, but not in America, where there are at least a dozen American skaters whose names are familiar to the general populace, along with a dozen more international skaters.

6. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Not in Russia. In the World.

7. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I won't believe it until I see the article, and even there, they better have some factual back up for that statement.

8. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Ok, I'll have a little time, I will find it. That's funny, sometimes the Americans think, the America is the World. (And I'm not Russian.)

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  9. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

:respec: Love him or hate him, PLUSHY!!!! :respec:

10. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Does might count in this poll? :shuffle:

11. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

My favorites are Yagudin and Lambiel. I prefer Lambiel's skating, but Yagudin has more titles. Anyway, Plushenko has more titles than both on this decade, but I really don't like his style.
    I can't choose.

12. lala

lala Well-Known Member

13. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I rest my case.

14. Fandango

Fandango New Member

Best??? :confused:

By numbers, of course, Plushenko, no one comes close to him, chapeau :D , but then, there's Yagudin, by heart, and just mho, he's THE BEST!!! :swoon:

But what the hell does this Lysacek-guy doing here??? :rolleyes:

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  15. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

How about who's the handsomest? Sexiest? That'd be fun! I bet the voting would be upside down....Lambiel and Joubert win by a mile! Plushy dead last! I think Yags is very handsome, but he really can't compete in that department next to Joubi or Lambiel either...I even think Takahashi is just gorgeous. I'm an old granny. I can be smitten by anyone I please. I also can't see why this is an American/Ruissian thing. Yagudin was Russian and has gone back and been very embraced by the Russian people. It's not "anti-Russian" to favor him at all. (I know...he came to the US to train, but he's back now and considered a pretty substantial citizen of Russia!) As a citizen of the US, I am kind of peeved that all the Plushy ubers are casting stone at the US voters. I'm a US citizen and I could have gone for Lysachek I guess...but honestly, I went with a Russian. So there!

I think before you vote for "Who's the Best" you need specific criteria. In athletic ways, Plushy would win. In artistic ways, I think Lambiel would win. I have a sneaking suspicion, however, that the definition of "best" will be dictated by who the individual prefers.

16. senorita

senorita New Member

I have no idea about USA as he rarely skates there anymore. But he used to do the COI tour for years until it stopped in 2008. But he is in Europe and Asia. He skates countless times in shows in both continents, in Zagreb he was the only who gave press conference with the Major when he arrived, the official Euros site had his name on headline, Sheffield the same, his comeback, his baby, his operation made the news in main newspapers, and not just russian ones, europeans and japanese too. Ny times and Sportillustated have from time to time articles for him, I hope he doesnt get on the cover. :p He even made the greek news when he fell last week. :cool:

That has nothing to do with the poll.

17. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Maybe there are new informations for you:
    http://www.eg.ru/daily/stars/36133/
    Google translater

Plushenko and Rudkovskaya offered $ 50,000 for the photo of the child
    Posted on January 17, 2013
    Michael Panyukov

Yana is in constant stress

After the birth of his son Alexander Yana Rudkovskaya at her and happy father - Evgeni Plushenko, hit the shaft of attractive offers from various media. But the joy is famous parents does not bring.

- Paparazzi opened for me to hunt, hoping to catch the moment when I am walking with a stroller - complained of "Express newspaper" Rudkovskaya. - Plaguing them not, as if all gone mad! Received various proposals. For example, the Japanese are willing to pay $ 50 000 for a photo baby. But we all refused.
    Who don't knows, Evgeni Plushenko is very popular in the land of the rising sun. And if we have not decided to give parents-baby gifts, in Japan it is in order. As told to us before delivery in an exclusive interview with Jana Rudkovskaya only pinetok (footwear for babies) handmade they have accumulated about a hundred pairs. Eugene sent their Japanese fans.

And a Japanese television company paid EUR 1.2 million for the rights to broadcast of his second wedding. :)

Because he isn't the most popular skater on FSU, he is the biggest star in real life. :)

Last edited: Feb 2, 2013
  18. Fliple Trip

Fliple Trip New Member

Looks like there's something wrong with me, 'cause I just can't see why poor Lysacek's skating efforts are ahead of Brian Joubert!!! :slinkaway :confused:

19. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

I voted Lambiel. I adore him. Plushy and Yags are very deserving, too. TBTH everyone on this list is great in some way.

20. Sasha'sSpins

Sasha'sSpins Well-Known Member

This American certainly doesn't think that way.

21. Holley Calmes

Nor does this one!

22. nubka

nubka Well-Known Member

Me neither. Who thinks up crap like that? :drama:

23. lala

lala Well-Known Member

Sorry, I didn't mean to offend you. I have had an experience that the Americans don't believe that the world thinks differently than they do. But this is only a generalization. Sorry again.

24. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Joubert is one of the stronger jumpers ever, and his longevity is the more impressive. He was in the top six at worlds from '03- '10, and he medaled at six of those nine worlds. His 2010s career isn't over yet either with his 4th place worlds finish in 2012.

25. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

I suspect Yagudin benefits a little in this poll because his last programs, for which most remember him, were probably his best. Plushenko and Joubert have had to stay relevant under a system that made performance harder (IJS) and have kept going for longer. Yagudin gave his last competitive skating at 22, whereas Joubert is currently 28 and Plushenko is 30.

26. lala

lala Well-Known Member

It's funny! Again, don't let the FSU to register. :)

27. Jaana

Jaana Well-Known Member

Most of the skaters on the list have won Olympic and/or World championship because they are (or were) consistent jumpers. I would not call Lambiel or even Takahashi really consistent, but I would rather watch their skating than that of Yagudin and Plushenko any day. Plushenko has though won medals more than the other skaters on the list, the second is Yagudin.

28. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

And this Canadian doesn't think Americans think that way either :)

29. Holley Calmes

That's a good point, but I vividly remember and greatly love his "Lawrence of Arabia" program which was much earlier than Winter or Racing, etc. I love Revolutionary Etude and Nutrocker too. They were all splendid. I can't recall one single program of Plushy's though I give him all full credit for his accomplishments. I just don't remember his programs. I slightly remember he did something pretending to play a violin and one time wore a big rubber muscle suit. That's about it. Oh, and I remember he did Carmen at SLC and was great, but I don't remember anything about it. Not attacking Plushy at all - just saying that different people are impressed/affected by different things and there is nothing wrong or competitive about it. I vividly remember Takahashi's Swan Lake, for example. Quads or no quads, some programs just more memorable to me. Maybe it's because I skew towards the artistic...though I think Yagudin was a perfect blend of athletic and artistic. For me anyway.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.
  30. senorita

senorita New Member

That's totally what you like and what you choose to rewatch again, I remember all programs of Plush, Yags, Daisuke after 2007, Lambiel and Weir since 2004 and have rewatched them later, that doesn't mean the rest on the list didn't have a worthy program, it just means I didn't like it much.

TheIronLady and (deleted member) like this.