Best male skater of the 2000s

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by kwanlysacek, Jan 30, 2013.

?

Best male skaters of the 2000s

1. Lysacek

19 vote(s)
    6.2%
  2. Plushenko

77 vote(s)
    25.2%
  3. Yagudin

109 vote(s)
    35.7%
  4. Lambiel

44 vote(s)
    14.4%
  5. Takahashi

50 vote(s)
    16.4%
  6. Joubert

6 vote(s)
    2.0%
  1. kwanlysacek

kwanlysacek Member

Who do you consider the best male skater of the 2000s, starting with the fall of 2000 and ending the winter of 2010. I say Lysacek by far.

2. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Plushenko. He won three Olympic medals during that time period!

3. os168

os168 Active Member

Plushy... unapologetic technical overlord. Not to mention influential to the sport still. Whatever you may say about his skating, his insistence that quads should a matter of focus/principle for the mens is part of the reason COP evolved, and that the Men's competition grew so exciting today.

4. MR-FAN

MR-FAN Kostner Softie

Lambiel. A skating Legend. Skaters like him don't come every decade.

5. PeterG

PeterG Argle-Bargle-ist

It's very sad that that decade only produced six male skaters of note. :(

6. ItalianFan

ItalianFan Member

Definitely Plushenko. Not only the 3 Oly medals but all the others. In spite of a three year hiatus no one comes even close to his podium record.

7. ciocio

ciocio New Member

:plush:- 34 gold medals (ISU competitions+Rus Nat).

8. TheIronLady

TheIronLady New Member

Evan has that long body that makes him beautiful to watch, but were it not for his consistency, he could not rival Lambiel, Takahashi, Plushenko, or Joubert.

9. kosjenka

kosjenka Well-Known Member

I voted for Yagudin, but Plushenko deserves this title.

10. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Plushenko by far. In that time period you specify, he's never finished a competition lower than second.

Which in itself, is incredible.

11. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Really? Would you like to try and justify that?

In the period you chose, Lysacek won two world bronzes, a world title, and an OGM, which he won narrowly. Also two national titles (one in a tie with Weir) and two 4CC titles. Yagudin, despite only skating for two seasons during this span, won one World title and was second the other time, won his OGM resoundingly and won a European title. Plushenko won Worlds three times, Euros five times, won an OGM and two other Olympic medals, was the record holder for SP, LP and total score from the time CoP came in until Dai won 4CC in 2008 (except his SP record, which stood until 2011), and won a bunch of other titles.

Lysacek is nowhere near the level of achievement of Plushenko objectively, and nowhere near as memorable a skater as the other guys on the list. Although only Yagudin is an OGM, both Dai and Lambiel are medalists with a stronger record at other events than Lysacek's, and Joubert, despite his Olympic debacles, had an amazing record in major championships (15 senior ISU Championship medals during that decade), and, if I'm not mistaken, GPs. Lambiel and Takahashi are wonderful artistic skaters and Yagudin, Plushenko and Joubert are all very charismatic performers.

I can understand how as an uber you would think Lysacek is the best, but by far? Did you actually watch anyone else skate?

Plushenko for me. It's not even close. If it were a career poll, then Yagudin.

Last edited: Jan 31, 2013
  12. misskarne

misskarne Spirit. Focus. Ability. Tenacity. Aussie Grit.

Zemgirl, obvious troll is obvious. Anyone with eyes knows that Lysacek doesn't even rate on this poll.

13. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

Even more obvious now that I've looked at his other posts. But I still had fun comparing Lysacek to everyone else, so it was worthwhile ;)

14. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I voted Yagudin, but I could easily vote Plushenko depending on one's personal criteria for the poll.

The fact that Chan is not on the poll is a noticeable omission; his best work is post 2009 and more to come likely, so while he wouldn't win the poll, I think he should have been counted among the "best male skaters of the 2000s." Ditto Jeffrey Buttle.

I'll give you that Lysacek should be on the poll based on his competitive record, but IMO he's contributed about zero to the sport, and will be remembered as no more than a statistic as the years go by.

15. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

I voted for Yagudin based on whose skating I preferred, along with the fact that he is an Olympic and World Champion. But it is true that Plushenko has done more to influence the sport. Takahashi and Chan are his heirs. And he has three Olympic medals including the gold. So I could have gone either way.

16. Vash01

Vash01 Well-Known Member

Plushenko.

17. jsfpg2

jsfpg2 New Member

Best is Plushenko.
    Lambiel is very good too.

18. Zokko!

Zokko! Comansnala?

I've voted for Yags, but I won't commit suicide because Plush is leading ... :cool:
    As for Klutz Lysacek :yikes: :scream: - seems he's in a wrong category here, by far ... :p

19. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

My vote for Yag. I can't think of any performance by Plushy that I would called artistic, whereas Yag had quite a few, ie Winter, Car racing, etc.

20. Cachoo

Cachoo Well-Known Member

This. Yags is my second choice.

21. karlon

karlon New Member

I dont think that plushenko can go beyond yagudin, how long his career

22. yaya124

yaya124 New Member

Because you are a fan. I could say the same thing about Yagudin:lol:
    But nevertheless, since it is FSU, if Yagudin did not win in the end, that would be the end of the world:lol:

23. Holley Calmes

Holley Calmes Well-Known Member

Yagudin, of course. Both Yags and Plush are great, great skaters. I choose Yagudin for the same reason as above - his programs, his "style" and artistry touched me far more than Plush's. That's purely personal and no rap to anyone. But truly, I can't remember anything Plushenko ever did, and I saw him live twice that I know of, including the SLC final, and watch everything on TV. I remember Lambiel's and Takashi's as well. I even remember some of Joubert's! But not like Yags! I can visualize almost everything he did.

I thought COP was begun because of many factors, and goaded into existence because of the SLC judging scandal. I don't pretend to be an expert, but COP didn't come into being because Plushy pushed the quads...not only that anyway. And please someone who is NOT a Plushy uber answer that one.

24. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

I voted for Yagudin because I think he was the best overall skater.

When it comes to artistry though, St├ęphane is in a league of his own.

25. nursebetty

nursebetty New Member

Lambiel, love his skating. He is by far my favorite.

26. lala

lala Well-Known Member

I'm really curious, Yagudin is better than Plushenko in wich aspect? And the question was who is the best skater in 2000th years, not who is our favorite. Yagudin retired in 2002. Plushenko was the dominant in 2000th, by far. But I'm not surprised, it's the FSU. :lol: I remember in summer was a poll who is the weakest skater or something like this. I registered and registered some other Plushy fans. We can registered, but couldn't vote and write. And it's true. I registered in july, but my first post was in september, I tried again in that time.:D:hat1:

You will say I'M a Plushy uber..yes but you can convince me with arguments not with opinions. So I'm waiting for the details, and aspects.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2013
  27. Jenny

Jenny From the Bloc

I think it depends on what you think the criteria for Best Male Skater is - whether competitive record, impact on the sport, technical achievement, memorability, skating skills, etc. Several people on this thread have noted that it's a close choice between Yagudin and Plushenko (or Lambiel), and that they could see either being thought of as Best Male Skater, even if it wasn't their personal choice.

28. GarrAarghHrumph

GarrAarghHrumph I can kill you with my brain

Best in terms of medals is Plushenko. But best in terms of "I could just watch him again and again", for me, that's either Takahashi or Lambiel.

29. zerom10

zerom10 New Member

As a competetive skater Plushenko by far the best one. Yagudin was good, but nothing close to what Plushenko achived and developed especially when he matured.
    Compare 30 year old matured Plushenko now to 21 year old Yagudin in 2002 is none sense.

30. VarBar

VarBar Well-Known Member

Interesting that while some people think Lysacek doesn't even belong on that list, he has six times more votes than charismatic performer Joubert.:confused: