Best Ladies singles skater of the 2012/13 season (senior or junior)?

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Maofan7, Apr 8, 2013.

1. Maofan7

Maofan7 Member

Best Ladies skater of the 2012/13 season (senior or junior)?

Difficult to decide who to leave out. Apologies, no room for Julia Lipnitskaya, Li Zijun, etc. If you want to vote for them, please choose 'other'.

In terms of the poll:-

Kim Yu-Na - World Champion
    Carolina Kostner - World Silver medalist
    Mao Asada - GPF & 4CC Champion/World Bronze medalist
    Kanako Murakami - 4CC Bronze medalist/4th at Worlds
    Ashley Wagner - GPF Silver medalist/winner of 2 GP events/5th at Worlds
    Gracie Gold - 6th at Worlds/2nd at U.S. Nats/2nd in the Rostelecom Cup
    Kaetlyn Osmond - Won Nelbelhorn, Skate Canada, and Can Nats/8th at Worlds
    Adelina Sotnikova - European Silver medalist
    Elizaveta Tuktamysheva - European Bronze medalist/5th in GPF
    Akiko Suzuki - GPF Bronze medalist/2nd in 2 GP events and at 4CC
    Elena Radionova - Junior World Champion/JGPF Champion

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Another late April Fools thread?

3. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I know everyone will say Yu na, since she won the world championship, and they could be right. However, I picked Mao because of what she overcame this year.

4. Skater91

Skater91 Member

You left out my 2 top picks for the best of the season!

Flatt & Leonova! :D

5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Carolina Kostner, but for what she showed besides Worlds and Euros ! lol
    She skated perfectly at Italian Nationals, and it was amazing.

6. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

Yu-Na, because she was pretty much perfect at Worlds. Mao had some good results but I don't remember any of her programs being completely perfect. Carolina was flawed at Euros even though she won.

7. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

Osmond, easily. Kaetlyn took a system that is dry and mathematical, and gave it a performance quality which she sold to the rafters. This is the one skater that has made me excited about the sport again.

8. munow

munow New Member

The Queen of course :)

9. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

Akiko Suzuki. I really enjoyed everything she did this season, even at the World's when she skated below par.
    I smile everytime I watch her skate.

10. iarispiralllyof

iarispiralllyof Active Member

yuna's the best

akiko's my fave of the year

11. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Best in quality and impact/influence on the sport: Kim

Most improved: Osmond

Best rookie (in seniors): Gold and Li

12. karlon

karlon New Member

Agree
    *+ Best program/performance:kostner
    And, I think it's interesting both rookie's idol is Yuna.

Last edited: Apr 8, 2013
  13. FunnyBut

FunnyBut Well-Known Member

I voted for YuNa, can't think of anyone else really as 'Best'. But Mao's LP and performance at GPF/Worlds are my personal 'Favorite'.

l'etoile and (deleted member) like this.
  14. Dilng

Dilng Well-Known Member

I wouldn't pick Yuna because skated one competition this season. She didn't have the long season that most of the other girls did. I would say the overall best one would be Mao. I didn't really like her programs, but she was a champion at two of her events.

15. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Kim's 3 competitions were all better skating than what any of the other ladies did in any of their competitions all season. So easily her.

16. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

No, she skated in 3 competitions.

17. Judge Dred

Judge Dred New Member

yuna kim - class ahead of anyone else

18. HVS

HVS Active Member

Well, the question is so easy to answer: Queen Yuna :respec:

But I like Carol in this season, especially in Worlds, not really her skating but her attitude, so cool :cool:

19. neptune

neptune Well-Known Member

Which 3 events, and did she have any serious competition in the other events?

20. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

What did she exactly overcome, unfavorable scoring rule changes? Questionable edge calls? Controversial losses? Loss of motivation?

os168 and (deleted member) like this.
  21. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Sorrow from her mother's death (last season) & jump struggles since 2010 Worlds.
    Of course, although changed rules give Mao benefits..

Last edited: Apr 10, 2013
  22. Amy03

Amy03 Member

add a Monstrous layout, injury, regaining the 3A....

23. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

As was mentioned already above - the death of her mother, yes - loss of motivation (she reportedly did not practice for 2-3 months over the summer and considered quitting), injury, bringing back the hardest jump layout including 3A.

24. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

I see. :)

But there is a trade-off between her jump landing consistency (two-footed or not) and the quality/speed/impact of her overall skating. It seems to have been reflected on her PCS, which is falling behind Kostner’s. Long delivery time? Cautious approach? What do you guys think? Can it be considered an improvement, overall? After all, figure skating is a sport, and it's an Olympic sport.

To my eyes, she’s noticeably more upright than before in air positions during her triples. That helps her keep standing on her feet after the jumps, but it comes at a sacrifice re: entering speed and running edge out of the jumps. It seems to me she’s been practicing to stay on feet, but not necessarily improve her jumps or skating.

IIRC, her goals right after the Vancouver Games were: (1) to correct her jump techniques; and (2) to improve the speed/flow of her overall skating. Regarding (1), it seems there&#8217;s been little improvement: she&#8217;s still flutzing, her salchows are not clearly executed, and her 3f and even her 3lo and the doubles in combination should be < or <<. Regarding (2), I think she&#8217;s all but given up on that department in compromise for jump landing consistency.

I won&#8217;t go further into her stagnant level as a performer, or her &#8220;balletic&#8221; posture or &#8220;ethereal&#8221; quality, which is so gushed over by some members valued by the admins of this forum. :lol:

I agree though, she&#8217;s a fighter!!

25. Amy03

Amy03 Member

First let me start of with your comment about Mao recently beeing more upright in her jumps, that simply is not correct. Her jumps have always had been upright (meaning having a perfect air position) wheter you look at her jumps in 2005 2008 or now. the ONLY exception that could be made is her 3A that early in her career sometimes leaned a bit sideway.

Secondly you say " she practiced to stay on her feet" well Mao has always been good at staying on her feet, and the low rate of falls she has had during her career perfectly showcase that, so that is not a new observation if one has followed her career.

then you talk about Mao's goal and the work she put in reworking her jumps, and improving her speed and how there is no a visible improvement? look closely at her jumps now and compare them with her jumps in 2010 in early on and you will notice that her technique on several jumps has dramatically changed, those jumps are the 3A, 3f, 3s and even the 3lz if you compare it too the 3lz she was doing in 2008 you will notice that it's completely different. her increased speed is also evident in her skating, just look at how she covers the whole rink and how many times she goes from one side to the other side of the rink during her program!

then you claim that Mao's salcow is not clearly executed but take one look in the protocol and you will see that Mao is one if the skaters who receive the highest grade of execution on that particular jump. as for your comment to the 3lo I will just ignore it, since Mao has one of the best 3lo in the business.

calling a classical skater who has balletic qualities, gourges airposition, line, flexibility, smoothnes and a skater who truly feels the music.. for a stagnated performer I can only recommend you to go watch a techno/ bieber program that would probably suit you taste more!:rofl:

26. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

Get outta here! I can live with my taste and I bet mine&#8217;s finer than yours.

I thought the Kween and the Queen ubers are the most intolerant to criticism, as often told in this forum!

27. Amy03

Amy03 Member

listen clearly, YOU were the one who quotet my post and asked for my and some other posters view, which I only responded too and gave, but if you don't want people to respond to your comments then don't quote and ask them too:rolleyes:

28. Fudove

Fudove Member

Yuna has shown that she remains the best and is far above all other competitors, but Adelina (new generation) today has shown that she has the whole package!
    Great season for all the ladies!

29. babayaga

babayaga Active Member

No, I don't think she has been practicing staying upright. It seems to be quite the opposite - coach Sato said several times they are working on increasing the entry speed into the jumps, but during competitions she seems to be too cautious. I don't think you are objective in your assessment at all - her salchow has become quite consistent this season like never before, her 2A-3T has been the best it has ever been, she stopped underrotating the toe - that was the problem for her with this combo even last season. Her lutz is still a flutz, yes, but it became a very reliable jump for her that she never underrotates anymore too. Finally, she learned a new 3A technique, which allows her to rotate it a lot better than before. All of these I find very noticeable improvements. And Mao's loop is very nice, I fail to see how it should be <<, that comment is a mystery to me.

And to support my conclusions - she just got her PB score in LP this past world championship with several mistakes. She still had enough content planned to get a very high score. Half of those things Mao was unable to perform 2-3 years ago.

And finally, I really don't understand the point of putting balletic posture and ethereal quality in quotation marks if you really would like to have a decent discussion and not just pretending. She does have beautiful posture and balletic lines and some people appreciate them, I am sorry it annoys you.