Best Ladies Free Skate of the Season

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by chipso1, Apr 9, 2012.

Best ladies free skate of the season?

1. Carolina Kostner's "Concerto No. 23"

92 vote(s)
    43.0%
  2. Ashley Wagner's "Swan Lake"

72 vote(s)
    33.6%
  3. Akiko Suzuki's "Die Fledermaus"

15 vote(s)
    7.0%
  4. Alena Leonova's "Adagio for Strings/Requiem"

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  5. Kanako Murakami's "Violin Concerto"

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  6. Alissa Czisny's "Valse Triste"

2 vote(s)
    0.9%
  7. Mao Asada's "Liebestraum"

13 vote(s)
    6.1%
  8. Kexin Zhang's "En la cueva"

1 vote(s)
    0.5%
  9. Elizaveta Tuktamisheva's "Besame Mucho/Latin medley"

6 vote(s)
    2.8%
  10. Viktoria Helgesson's "Sunset Boulevard"

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  11. Caroline Zhang's "Cello Concerto in B Minor"

5 vote(s)
    2.3%
  12. Other (specify)

3 vote(s)
    1.4%
  1. chipso1

chipso1 Well-Known Member

Which lady had the best free skate of the season in terms of choreography, composition, and overall effect?

2. Skittl1321

Skittl1321 Well-Known Member

Ashley Wagner.

The arms she does on her spiral are just amazing. The entire program is fantastic.

3. oleada

oleada Well-Known Member

Kostner, by a million miles. Wagner has a nice program but in terms of choreography, it doesn't come close to Carolina's, IMO. It's a lot emptier.

4. chipso1

You guys are too quick! ;) The poll is now up.

5. Cheylana

Cheylana Well-Known Member

Kostner for me, but I loved Ashley's freeskate too.

6. LuckyCharm

LuckyCharm Well-Known Member

No votes for Suzuki? Hers, Kostner's, and Wagner's are my three favorites. I'll have to watch them all a few more times before I vote.

7. chipso1

If I could have voted for both Carolina's and Ashley's I would have. However, I went with Ashley because, while Carolina had more intricate choreography, I thought Ashley's program had better composition and lots of good multi-directional skating. And while Carolina & Akiko are both artistically very good, I thought Ashley truly embodied the character of her music and put 120% into performing it each time, making the overall impact much greater for me.

All three (Carolina, Akiko and Ashley) were fabulous this season! Kudos to Lori, Pasquale and Philip on three great programs.

8. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

Am I the only person going for Mao's Liebestraum?!?!?!?! Even if Mao didn't really perform it to her potential this season, that program is loads better than Akiko's, Carolina's, and Ashley's LP!

I know people love Carolina's LP to death, but quite honestly, I'm not that much of a fan of it. She hits many of the musical cues nicely, but I don't know, there's just some type of spark missing from it when she performs it.

9. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

Ashley for me, Carolina had gorgeous choreography, but she just chopped up Concerto 23 too much for my liking.

10. lmarie086

lmarie086 Well-Known Member

Carolina got my vote; it was an exquisite program! I loved Ashley as well, but the strength of her free skate was in how she performed it, with increasing confidence and performance quality as the season progressed. Also loved Akiko!

11. Jenna

Jenna Well-Known Member

My vote goes to Ashley Wagner. The choreography is gorgeous enough (kudos to Philip Mills) but the way she performs the program, particularly during/after the spiral sequence, is masterful! She brings the character of that program to life and she attacks every single second.

Carolina Kostner has a beautiful program, as well! Lively interpretation of the music and seamless, intricate choreography.

Akiko Suzuki's program is an honorable mention. The step sequence is lovely.

Worst of the season? Ksenia Makarova. Honestly, it's garbage. Her short is really unique and interesting, too. What a shame.

12. aliceanne

aliceanne Well-Known Member

I voted for Suzuki. I love Die Fledermaus, and I loved the joy and energy she put into her World's performance.

13. pinky166

pinky166 Well-Known Member

Makarova's Marilyn Monroe :EVILLE:

14. DimaToe

DimaToe Well-Known Member

:rofl: I knew that was coming :D

15. pollyanna

pollyanna playing the Glad Game

This, with Mao's a close second. IMO, these two programs were head and shoulders above all the others.

16. eurodance2001

eurodance2001 Active Member

During NBC's coverage of the ladies FS, I'm glad Tracy saud that Ksenia deserved better material than what she had been given. I had t seen her LP before but wow.. That was really bad and the PCS score was an absolute joke

17. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

My sister walked past the TV when I was watching today and she was like, "this is the last performance? Really? All this great stuff and then...this?"

18. victoriajh

victoriajh Well-Known Member

This, that spiral section is so fabulous!!! The only program I looked forward to at worlds
    Caro was fab too, but I think the costume is distracting for me so I send more time thinking about how great she looks in it but that I don think it works for th program and not the actual program :lol:

19. victoriaheidi

victoriaheidi New Member

My top 3 were Ashley, Akiko and Mao. I never completely fell in love with Caro's program. I have no clue why.

20. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Carolina Kostner, by a mile, for me.
    Last season, her "Afternoon of a faun" was one of the best LP ever, IMO. I thought it would be impossible for her team to find a better LP. It's done. Her concerto #23 is beautiful as a whole.

Cheylana and (deleted member) like this.
  21. Zemgirl

Zemgirl Well-Known Member

I voted for Carolina Kostner, I loved her program and also think she had the best SP this season. Nichol does better work for her than for anyone else.

I can't really say if I enjoy Akiko's LP in itself, or if this is affected by how she performs it. I'll have to watch again and decide.

Ashley Wagner's Black Swan is good, but not great.

22. PashaFan

PashaFan Well-Known Member

I voted for Carolina because it truly suited her. I think it gave her confidence.
    She seemed to love skating to it rather than being afraid.

23. AndyWarhol

AndyWarhol Well-Known Member

I voted for Mao's as it was the one I personally liked the most. Ashleigh's was a bit cliche, but not terrible. I like Carolina's, but preferred Maos.

24. love_skate2011

love_skate2011 Well-Known Member

until now, I'm still hooked to Carolina's SP
    he best so far, the music can't get it out of my head

tada da da da. tet tet tet , lol :lol:

25. essence_of_soy

essence_of_soy Well-Known Member

I voted for Elizaveta Tuktamisheva's "Besame Mucho/Latin medley". Not only did she come to the party with strong technical content, she has a light and pleasing style that shows great promise.

I also loved Elena Gedevanishvili's Phantom of the Opera, and how she attacked it at Europeans.

26. smarts1

smarts1 Well-Known Member

I'm surprised Mao's LP has the same number of votes as Elizaveta's...

27. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

Ashley, by a mile. Every element was PERFECT with Ashley -- music, choreography, costume, expression.

I'd have Mao 2nd - it's an old program but so much more effective with the new chiffon sleeveless dress.

I also like the music & choreography of Kostner's program but fail to understand what a hyper-modern spacesuit/catsuit has to do with elegant Mozart music. I would have expected such an outfit with a jazzy or rock number...but gentle Mozart???

28. l'etoile

l'etoile New Member

Carolina's one is by far the best of works done by Lori for the past ten years and it deserved that PCS(65, IIRC?) despite a weak technical content. (Yeah, I'm all for that PCS should count also tech content.)

29. Frau Muller

Frau Muller President of Dick Button Appreciation Club

So why did Carolina wear the silver spacesuit for a classical Mozart piano program? And why the unladylike potty-break squat (plie movement). Yuk.

30. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

My vote goes to Carolina, hands down. Most interesting choreography, finally something different and she executed it so well. Loved the pantsuit, thought it enhanced the "contemporary" feel of the program and she looked fabulous. I love that she sets herself apart from the rest, she really is a breath of fresh air in the ladies' field.

My silver medal goes to Akiko, such a joyful and pretty program! So uplifting :) loving "Die Fledermaus" music in general.

Ashley's program was good but not very memorable imo. She performed it well though.