Best Ladies Exhibition Performance

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by krenseby, Dec 18, 2010.

?

Which of these ladies exhibition performances is the most artistic?

Poll closed Jan 1, 2011.
  1. Shizuka Arakawa - It's A Beautiful Day (Sarah Brightman)

15.2%
  2. Sasha Cohen - Note to God (Charice)

6.1%
  3. Michelle Kwan -Winter Song (Sara Bareilles/Ingrid Michaelson)

42.4%
  4. Other

36.4%
  1. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Back in the days when we still had professional "competitions," I realized that not all skaters were equally good in putting together a good exhibition skate. Achieving that goal requires some combination of interesting choreography, inspired interpretation, and a varied and nuanced use of elements. Out of the three performances below, which came closest to achieving that goal? (The choices here are restricted to so-called "professional" female skaters that stopped competing after the 2006 Olympics and primarily skate in exhibitions. Also, in this poll, you are not asked to choose the greatest exhibition skate of all time, but just the best out of the three listed.)

Shizuka Arakawa - It's A Beautiful Day (Sarah Brightman)

Sasha Cohen - Note to God (Charice)

Michelle Kwan -Winter Song (Sara Bareilles/Ingrid Michaelson)
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  2. LilJen

LilJen Well-Known Member

3. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Shizuka !!! :respec:
    And I'm an MK fan ;)
  4. krenseby

krenseby New Member

When Shizuka was an amateur skater, I never knew that she was capable of such artistry as she would go on to display in her post-OMG performances.
  5. geod2

geod2 New Member

The music and the choreography to match it were perfect for Shizuka's...
    as was her performance.... Just awe-inpiring...
    I was afraid I'd be disappointed, but she finally did her signature Ina Bauer at the end. Hers is the best of these 3...easy choice for me.

The smaller ice surface area and her fall makes the inclusion of this particular performance by Sasha Cohen questionable (and a bit unfair?)....
    ...surely there are better ones to have used as an example for her at her best?!

I usually love MK's skating , but this particular performance, other than demonstrating some of her incredible skating skills, did not inspire me.
    I felt uncomfortable with the overuse of fast, jerky arm movements that seemed to have no relevance to the pace or mood of the music...
    ...it looked and felt forced in some places.
    I think this song, while beautiful, would be hard to interpret effectively through ice skating or even dance.....JMHO, and in the eye of this beholder.

Curious...how/why did you select just these 3 particular performances??
    Is there a point you're trying to make? I'm missing it, or just clueless.
    Also, if the choice is "just the best out of the three listed" why give an "other" choice button to click in the polling ???
    Sorry.

_
    Last edited: Dec 18, 2010
  6. krenseby

krenseby New Member

I was thinking along the lines of comparing the best exhibitions by ladies skaters that stopped competing after the 2006 Olympics. I selected these particular performances because these were the best that I liked out of many available. I did look through a bunch of Sasha exhibitions and this one impressed me the most because it seemed to be very emotionally expressive and featured good edges and speed. I put in "Other" as a choice because I wanted to give people the option of expressing their dislike of all three performances or suggesting something better.
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  7. geod2

geod2 New Member

I understand now.
    BTW, Sasha competed at 2010 Nationals and woudld've gone to O's if she'd qualified....does that still count as "retired after the 2006 Olympics"?
    Well, she was retired for 3 years at least...;)

Anyway, if I could chose one of Sasha's exhibitions for your poll, this would be the one... and I might even give her the nod over Shizuka's.
    This is a flawless and inspired performance, choreography and music in near-perfect synchronicity....Sasha at her best, even hampered by a small ice surface
    ...my personal fav of hers:

Sasha Cohen 2009 Super Match - Moonlight Sonata
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kGL2qmtHXgg&feature=related

:)

__
  8. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Well, I changed my wording to "stopped competing after 2006" which is true for Sasha. She was out of amateur skating for most of the time since then and left amateur skating once again after a brief return. So yeah, from 2006 to now, she was mostly an exhibition skater who briefly returned to competition. (I think I've reached the appropriate level of precision now ;-)

I actually thought of using that one and I absolutely loved it the first time I saw it, but I opted for "Note to God" because she seemed to skate with more emotion, deeper edges, and better speed on it than on the Super Match Moonlight Sonata. But I will grant you that the Moonlight Sonata was a very subtle, refined performance, however it was also very restrained. And I saw the restraint as a downside.
  9. alilou

alilou Crazy Stalker Lady

I had to vote "other" for Sasha's Moonlight Sonata which I find absolutely breathtaking, and way and above the best out of the links provided. Not always a huge Sasha fan, but for me she really does it this time.
  10. Aussie Willy

Aussie Willy Well-Known Member

I have to vote for Wanda Beazle as well. True champion and such class.
  11. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Is there a possibility to cancel a vote ? I voted for MK but I thought it was for her Winter exhibition she made around 1996, not the actual one that is in the poll.
    Because out of these 3 exhibition I would give my vote to Shizuka Arakawa. She is fabulous in this program.
  12. briancoogaert

Yes ! It was a beautiful exhibition, during the 1996-1997 season. I loved it. And the one at 1997 Worlds she skated right after the resurfacing was amazing. Because we saw her wonderful glide and tracing on the ice. :swoon:
  13. paskatefan

paskatefan Well-Known Member

If I were to vote in this poll, I would either go for Michelle's "Winter" (circa 1997) or her "East of Eden" program. Just stunning! :)
  14. miki88

miki88 New Member

It's not listed but my choice is Michelle's Dante's Prayer. I just love that program so much.
  15. briancoogaert

One of my favorite MK exhibition with her 1996 East of Eden. ;)
  16. Extranjera

Extranjera New Member

Me too!! One of the best ex programs ever.

I've always loved Michelle's style, so Winter song was very touching to me (1st program after 3 years break) but this program of Shizuka... WOW! I can't believe I haven't seen it before, it's gorgeous.
  17. mmot

mmot New Member

There are so many of Shizuka's exhibition performances I like, but I love this one particularly - as it was performed on the competition sized rink and thus you can really see that she's still got amazing speed across the ice - she even seems 'liberated' compared to when performing on a smaller rink.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WwIiATt1O4

(The video maker appear to have replaced the sound to get rid of commentary though)
    Last edited: Dec 19, 2010
  18. Artifice

Artifice Guest

Arakawa is IMO one of the most packaged skater of all times. Her exhibitions shows how much she is artistic and athletic, close to perfection.
  19. ainouta

ainouta Well-Known Member

20. DickButtonFan

DickButtonFan New Member

It's rare to ever enjoy a performance when the ice is so incredibly small. Sasha had problems with her jumps in that performance because there wasnt enough room. It's just too dangerous to jump like that.

Also find there are hundreds of programs that are better than this one of sasha's. I'd pick one of her Romeo and Juliet ones but I'll have to come back and post a link.
  21. eleonorad

eleonorad New Member

22. geod2

geod2 New Member

Thank you for that link....exquisite!! :swoon:

_
  23. Polymer Bob

Polymer Bob New Member

24. geod2

geod2 New Member

Thanx, PB.

I had to watch it 3 times in a row just for her Ina Bauer and spins...very, very nice.
    That British announcer was very proper and tactful at 0:52 referring to her "characteristic takeoff".....;)

I love threads like this. I get to watch great selections that I don't have time to seach for on my own. :D

_
    Last edited: Dec 20, 2010
  25. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Yeah I am really happy that people are posting links here. More great exhibitions for me to watch ;-)
  26. pollyanna

pollyanna Don't blink

Even thought the OP specifically stated that "you are not asked to choose the greatest exhibition skate of all time, but just the best out of the three listed," I decided to list my faves of all time anyway. :shuffle:

My favorite ladies exhibition of all time has to be Janet Lynn at the 1971 Worlds.

I've loved most all of Michelle Kwan's exhibitions, topped by East of Eden, and ESPECIALLY Fields of Gold.

Believe it or not, an honorable mention to an exhibition I've always loved, because it showed me that Tonya Harding was capable of beautiful skating - 1987 NHK Trophy.

Simply exquisite. :swoon:
    Wiery and (deleted member) like this.
  27. krenseby

krenseby New Member

Actually, I really like the links and suggestions posted in this thread, so everyone keep on bringing up as many exhibitions as you like.
  28. mrinalini

mrinalini Active Member

It has to be MK's FOG for me, too. Sometimes I think maybe the program is a bit too soppy, but then I go back and rewatch it and realize that it's got just about everything you'd want when watching skating. The jumps, the spins, the little SFLs, the back spiral with her hand touching the ice...all the lovely skating moves are in there.

Of course, that's not to take away from the many performances that have been posted in this thread which are all wonderful, too. ;)
  29. DORISPULASKI

DORISPULASKI Watching submarine races

I thought I was the only one with fond memories of Tonya's 1987 EX at NHK. There's so much to admire in that performance-the arms on the opening spin-the way she handles the Ina Bauer so that the maximum back bend is done at just the right point in the music, the way the 3L is also just right to the music.

She indeed should get an honorable mention here.

I also liked Irina's exhibition to Cotton Eyed Joe by the Rednex

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pBtGob1AVZg

It's a true pro program, including doing jumps with a hat and a whip, and the outrageous chaps and the way they move in the spins.

If you were putting together a pro tour, having Michelle do the conventional ladies program, Fields of Gold, with the huge emotion she put into it, and Irina with the fast joyous, what will she do next program Cotton Eyed Joe was a great pairing.
  30. ks777

ks777 Well-Known Member

Michelle Kwan - Fields of Gold
  31. geod2

geod2 New Member

And the genuine emotion that Michelle brought into the performance .
    I still can't watch her 2002 Olympics FOG without tearing up...gets me every time.

_
  32. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

My favorite exhibition EVER is Stephane's "Ne me quitte pas" - just brilliant!!
  33. jiggs

jiggs Well-Known Member

hahahha I guess I should've read the thread title... LADIES exhibition. Haha.

Still. I vote for Stephane!!
  34. geod2

geod2 New Member

Start a thread for men's exhibitions.
    :)