Best ice dancing team of the 90s

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by KimGOAT, Apr 9, 2013.

?

Best ice dance team of the 90s

1. Grutschuk & Platoov

44 vote(s)
    28.0%
  2. Klimova & Ponomarenko

53 vote(s)
    33.8%
  3. Bourne & Kraatz

30 vote(s)
    19.1%
  4. Krylova & Ovsiannikov

13 vote(s)
    8.3%
  5. Usova & Zhulin

11 vote(s)
    7.0%
  6. Duchensay & Duchensays

6 vote(s)
    3.8%
  1. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

The 90s was an amazing time for ice dancing. Who was the best ice dance team of the 90s. It seems it is a close choice between Klimova & Ponomarenko and Grutschuk & Platoov, but Grutschuk & Platoov have more medals and titles so on paper have the edge.

2. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Klimova & Ponomarenko. Gritschuk & Platov were excellent but just did not invoke the same emotion for me. G&P were more dominant than K&P but they had weaker competition. After the 94 Olympics when Usova & Zhulin retired/turned pro, they really had no worthy competition ever, except for Krylova & Ovsiannikov in 97-98, but by then G&P were too firmly entrenched on top politically and in stature to be seriously threatened.

3. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

Only one euros and one Olympics- torvill and dean.

4. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

If we were talking technique, clear edges and endurance, I would have to vote for K/P, or maybe G/P.
    But I let my heart speak and say D/D, always and forever.

Tak and (deleted member) like this.
  5. nuge

nuge Well-Known Member

6. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

G&P as well. Very good, and very exciting.

7. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

No doubt in my mind, Klimova/Ponomarenko.

8. judgejudy27

How do Bourne & Kraatz have so many votes, LOL! I guess they must have a very diehard fan base, since I doubt the majority think they are even close to Krylova & Ovsiannikov or Usova & Zhulin.

9. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

I was also going to ask this. For a team that was a weak as they were in terms of technical abilities plus no world or olympic titles that entire decade, they really shouldn't be considered.

10. lala

lala Well-Known Member

G/P, of course, because of their title. But I loved K/O, K/P and U/Z ,too.

11. VIETgrlTerifa

I'm confused as to why Anissina/Peizerat aren't included in this poll. They won an Olympic Bronze medal, two world silver medals, and placed 4th and 5th at Worlds in the 1990s.

12. bonmil

bonmil Member

Well, it's an Opinion Poll, and everybody has one, (opinion that is).

13. caseyedwards

caseyedwards Well-Known Member

I think everyone has an opinion poll now too.

14. angelflies

angelflies Member

Bourne & Kraatz and the Duchesays shouldnt even on this poll. Anissina & Peizerat, Annenko & Stretenski, Torvill & Dean, Rahkammo & Kokko, and Moniotte & Lavanchy should be on it instead of those two.

15. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Klimova-Ponomarneko, hands down. I would place Grishchuk-Platov a close second, however.

16. bonmil

bonmil Member

yes, it's getting to look that way.

17. Proustable

Proustable New Member

A/P - yes

A/S - retired from eligible skating in 1989. Would be weird on this poll.

T/D - Eh, I understand why they aren't here either.

R/K and M/L - not as successful as B/K, nor skated as long in the era.

Between K/P and G/P, I prefer K/P, but G/P skate more in the 90s. Flip a coin.

18. SamuraiK

SamuraiK Well-Known Member

Klimova & Ponomarenko are awesome and the best team probably but they were clearly an 80s packaged team and only competed 3 years during the decade. Whenever I think of Ice Dance in the 90s Grishuk & Platov programs are the first that come to my mind and hands down the iconic team from that era IMO.

19. fracturedleg

fracturedleg Member

Bourne & Kraatz by far. They were robbed of winning so many titles by the block judging.

20. Tak

Tak Well-Known Member

Same for me.

If best means most medals, then G/P. If you're talking just in terms of technique, I'd probably say K/P. But if it means who do you most remember from those times, whose performances moved you the most and you found most exciting and innovative - then the Duchesnays win for me, hands down.

21. VIETgrlTerifa

Which titles should they have won?

The 1998 Olympic bronze, for example, to me wasn't a robbery. It was more of a reasonable disagreement as to who should have won the bronze between Anissina/Peizerat and Bourne/Kraatz. But B/K did win the FD portion in Nagano. Their OD, IMO, did them a huge disservice.

22. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I voted for G/P because of the two Olympic golds. Btw, I thought B/K were robbed of medals in the 00s but not really the '90s.

23. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

Yeah, their OD that year should've dropped them out of the top 5. It was skated completely side by side and hand to hand. Ditto with their FD. And they skated a number of the steps incorrectly during the golden waltz. I never understood the wuz robbed idea regarding them during any competition they skated at. They almost could never skate ambitious programs with good content. The only programs of theirs I highly regard are their 1999 programs but they could never skate them at a high level which to me showed their lack of abilities.

24. judgejudy27

Looking at the poll results I never had any idea how overrated Bourne & Kraatz were on this forum, especialy as they are barely talked about. They do have a very loyal fan base it seems though. Good for them, but they really arent that good. I am not sure I would even put them as a top 10 team of the decade or not. I was happy they won Worlds in 2003, but on a whole I agree with the poster who once called them cheesy and overhyped. Their edge quality and glide was excellent, and their hydroblading was innovative and interesting, but beyond that they didnt have a whole lot to offer.

25. sap5

sap5 Well-Known Member

Whenever I think of the 90s, I think of only the 3 years K&P competed. The rest of decade is shrouded in a haze of too much gauze and even more drama.

26. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Have to disagree strongly. They did not lose any titles by bloc judging. They simply did not realize the potential they were supposed to have when they burst on the scene. They competed against some very strong ice dance teams- G&P, K&O, A&P and deservedly lost. I don't see them beating any of these teams, which won world and/or Olympic titles. B&K's programs, with the exception of River dance were nothing to write home about. After the strong teams retired, they won a world title. I think that was fair.

27. VIETgrlTerifa

As someone who wants to know more about Ice Dance technique, I have to ask what was it about B/K that made them maybe not as competitive against Anissina/Peizerat, Fusar-Poli/Margaglio, and Lobacheva/Averbuckh or above Drobiazo/Vanagas?

I mean when it comes to comparing say Klimova/Ponomarenko against their peers, I think it's quite obvious. But I don't think the 1999-2002 quad had such an extreme obvious differential because I found all the top teams during that time to have some technical issues or weaknesses.

Can someone with the ice dance tech knowledge explain to me what exactly were B/K weak on from an ice dance standpoint in terms of skills, difficulty, dance holds, etc.? I hear it often enough but I never really had it explained.

I do think there was a glaring example when they did say the 1998 OD which was obviously so much weaker than what Anissina/Peizerat put out, and personally I do prefer other teams over B/K. However, sometimes I feel that the idea that B/K were just so much weaker on this forum is taken for granted that everyone just says it. Like I still don't quite get how B/K placed that low in the 2001 OD other than people's hatred of their fox-trot interpretation and song choice (but I do get why their 2002 OD was inferior, while I thought their 2002 FD seemed pretty difficult).

28. judgejudy27

Bourne & Kraatz had unision issues, her posture was really bad for a top ice dancer, and they often did too much side by side skating and hand to hand holds in their footwork. Their lifts also werent usually that strong due her height. I think those are the things that held them down.

It is probably also that politics greatly helped a team like Fusar & Poli & Margalio, and helped them in competition vs B&K, but along the same lines politics helped them do better against a team like Drobiazko & Vanagas than they probably should have.

The only team B&K regularly lost to was A&P, and even that only after 98, from 96-98 B&K won more of their meetings, although losing at the biggest one at the Olympics. Fusar-Poli & Margalio lost to B&K about as many times as they beat them, even in the 99-2002 quad, and the same for L&A. Drobiazko & Vanagas meanwhile only were able to beat B&K two times their whole careers, so in no way did the judges view D&V as superior, and in fact they should have been much more successful against B&K (and almost all the top teams of that era) than they were. B&K were not seen as uncompetitive at any point of their careers outside of the 99-2000 season where they were injured, and their programs and skating were a complete mess; and to a lesser degree 2000-2001 which was their comeback season.

29. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

The way I look at it, too much of B&K's choreography was constructed around side by side or hand to hand skating. Skating hand to hand or side by side makes it easier to move as you're skating further apart from one another and thus it's far easier to gain speed and power. But even within simpler handholds, they were still very slow relative to other top teams. I also found their timing lazy and sluggish (the side by side comparison of the golden waltz between them and Grishuk & Platov really showed how bad their timing was) and their free legs often didn't match each other very well. I also found that their riverdance free dance showed that their unison wasn't always the best either. It's rather disappointing that Dubova couldn't really help them with that although her work from 1993/1994-onwards started to be become rather disappointing. I mentioned this before but their 1999 programs had much more ambitious content but they seemed even slower and sluggish around the rink that season. I also didn't care for their posture either as they often bent their upper bodies forward somewhat, probably to compensate for their deep knee bends.

I didn't see any of the OD's 2000-2001 season so I Can't comment on it (I did like their 1995 quickstep OD - I thought they could've potentially placed 3rd in that phase of the competition at those worlds). Their 2002 FD was better in terms of content, execution (for the most part anyways), and presentation. I found their 2003 FD kind of odd as she seemed to have become Pasha II and they seemed to be imitating the very style they were mocking back in 1998.

LynnW and (deleted member) like this.
  30. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

Sorry judgejudy27, you beat me to it! hope you don't think I'm just repeating what you said.