Best ice dance team in history

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by usova94gold, Jul 16, 2013.

1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

To be honest I couldnt even begin to know their names, which I guess tells you something about what happens to many teams over time. :lol: Ice dance for me didnt even start until the Olympics, P&G and Minny & Mo. It is hard to know much about teams who competed before my grandparents were born in a discipline that only entered the Olympics in 1976. In ice dance especialy which for so long wasnt even an Olympic sport for so long and which keeps reinventing its idea of what it is.

Given that Sonja Henie gets only about 3 votes out of hundreds of voters on best lady skater ever polls, I can pretty much ensure you the teams you refer to probably wouldnt get a single vote (kind of crazy when even Bourne & Kraatz get some but it is what it is).

2. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

You're welcome, and how I envy you, you watched this live!
    ITA this sort of music suited them best. Have you noticed that lift at 0.56 when Isabelle is on Paul's back with her free leg in an attitude position? They later included it in their West Side Story program, it's my favourite move in that routine.
    Dean had rearranged two programs he had skated himself with Torvill, although he had also altered them in order to make them meet the requirements of competition for the Duchesnays. These programs were Eleanor's Dream in '89 and Missing in '90. T/D had a program called Missing, which starts like the D's Missing, but in a later part includes a piece with vocals which wasn't allowed at competitions at that time.
    I agree, the Duchesnays were more suited for the latin themes. Their looks and their natural expressiveness was just what that sort of music and theme was asking for. You found the right word: charisma - it's something a person has or hasn't (with a faint chance to develop a little bit over lifetime). The Duchesnays have.

3. coraczek

coraczek Member

I loved both Missing routines, both T&D's and D&D's. They weren't the same. There were other things to appreciate in each of them.
    I wish I could see Eleanor's Dream performed by T&D. Have you seen it? I think it was never recorded.:(

4. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

Sadly, I haven't seen it either and I don't know if it has been recorded (what's strange, normally you'd find everything by T/D on some vid or in a doku). I just read a couple of times that it was a piece they had skated themselves; I think it was Dean who talked about it somewhere and I remember reading it. I wish I could watch this version, too.

5. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

Their 92 programs had a youthful innocence and joie de vivre to them that I found appealing. And the content was excellent too. I guess it's understandable from Zhulin's POV as to why he wanted to get rid of G&P to clear the path for gold in Lillehammer (if that was indeed the reason why he started the affair with her).

6. coraczek

coraczek Member

From wikipedia
    "Little is known about this piece and it has never been released commercially and possibly never recorded. It was also created as one of their pieces for the 1987 Ice Capades Tour. In their autobiography Chris states that he actually passed on the dance for Isabelle and Paul Duchesnay to perform in 1988, stating that the dance was about the relationship between a boy and a girl with the boy breaking in upon the woman’s dreams
    Excerpt taken from: Torvill and Dean: Romancing the Ice – Ice Cycles 1988
    Both Dean and Torvill seem eager for responses to their new routines in the show and gratified with the verdict that everything is just great, with special accolades going to "Eleanor Rigby". It was their newest routine and it's a very interesting version of the song, undertaken with Paul McCartney, having little relation to the earlier Beatles recording. The version used was from the soundtrack of McCartney's film Give My Regards to Broad Street. Dean and Torvill hated the movie but really liked that version of the song.
    "It's sort of our version of a dream sequence," says Dean, referring to their routine.
    "And I'm Eleanor," Torvill says simply.
    Torvill is the fragile title character, clad in muted white with pastel tones across the costume. He is a kind of dream lover to her, dressed in mostly black; he is both exciting and dangerous. She fears him, but she wants him too, and eventually her desire overcomes her fear. That is ultimately her undoing, as he twirls her round and round his body and she can do nothing but be manoeuvred at this will. It ends with her in a crucifix form across his back as he carries her off into the fog. She was right to fear him after all..."

7. coraczek

coraczek Member

Do you believe it???

8. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

It's very possible but I obviously don't know the real truth since I'm neither Zhulin nor Grishuk.

9. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

Thank you very much, coraczek, it's quite what I've read once, too. Paul Duchesnay explaines the storyline of the routine in the D's book "Notre Passion" the same way.

10. coraczek

coraczek Member

I haven't heard about this book. Was it translated into English?

11. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

No, unfortunately there's no translation into any language, it's in French. It was released in '92 and has been out of print for long. I tell you it was an adventure to get a used copy. A friend who's French got me one from a bookstore in France...
    This book is kind of a biography (the author being Martine Carret) but with a lot of photos.

12. coraczek

coraczek Member

I know just a couple of French words, so I would never be able to read it. :( But I could look at photos:) if I found a copy. But as you've written it's almost impossible.
    BTW do you know what's happening with Isabelle and Paul now? I lost track after Isabelle's divorce.

13. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I'm a huge Grishuk fan, but although anything is possible, I don't think it's very plausible. I think Zhulin just liked to sleep around and Grishuk fell for his "charms". If she really had a choice between Platov and Zhulin as she says, she really must have been mad to choose the latter :eek:

14. gk_891

gk_891 Active Member

Yeah, it's probably this as he demonstrated later on with Navka. I wonder if Dubova had any other students that we don't know about that Zhulin slept with.

15. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

From what I know (and that's not much, just info from internet sites and some old magazines), Isabelle is raising her son Paul (named after her brother), and Paul works as a choreographer in the first place. But the information I got is not quite up to date, I fear.

16. coraczek

coraczek Member

Thank you. I even didn't know that she has a child.

17. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Member

He's already twelve.
    Isabelle obviously keeps him out of the limelight, which is a wise decision. But I live at the other side of the world and don't have the information you may get in Canada.

18. coraczek

coraczek Member

Ok, thanks.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  19. Xela M

Xela M New Member

I kind of missed all the hype when Dean and Isabelle got divorced (was too young back then) but I know many commentators and Dean himself referred to it as a bitter divorce. What was it about the split that made it such a bad one? Was Isabelle blaming him for something?

20. coraczek

coraczek Member

Kim Goat, look at the results now. V/M are very close to being in a leading position. Do you really think that demographics of the voters have nothing to do with that. Look for instance at the post no. 148. I'm sure that there are also other people who didn't watch past teams.

21. coraczek

coraczek Member

I think one of the problems was that while being with Isabelle, Chris still wanted to skate and thought about his own career. It didn't help that Isabelle and Jayne weren't fond of each other. Isabelle even said that there was a third person in their marriage. T&D wrote in their biography that when Chris choreographed for the D's, Isabelle didn't want Chris to show any moves with Jayne. On the other hand, Jayne didn't like the fact, that D's were given some of the T&D's moves.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  22. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

I suspect that there might have been a little to much direct competition too. Isabelle & Chris were both ice dancers. It might be easier for an ice dancer to be married to a free skater (Jill Trenary) or vice versa.

23. coraczek

coraczek Member

Maybe you are right. On the other hand when they were together, Isabelle and Paul competed as amateurs, while Jayne and Chris had their professional career.

24. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

Didn't Paul have a real nasty rollerblading accident at some point? I think he had to get some pretty extensive facial surgery.

25. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Geez, did the V/M fans all of a sudden get wind of this poll? They shot up big time.

26. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

You are correct. I didn't mean competition in the formal sense of the word. I meant 'emotional' competition.

27. coraczek

coraczek Member

I think because of Paul's injury they had to finish their career. But I'm not sure if that's the one you are writing about.

28. Johnny_Fever

Johnny_Fever New Member

It probably is. It happened a long time ago.

29. coraczek

coraczek Member

Yes, I think they had something like 60 votes a few days ago and now over 100:scream:

30. coraczek

coraczek Member

That's quite probable.