Best ice dance team in history

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by usova94gold, Jul 16, 2013.

1. usova94gold

usova94gold Member

Who do you consider the best ice dance team in history. It seems a 3 way choice between Gritschuk & Platov, Torvill & Dean, and Klimova & Ponomarenko probably. I picked Torvill & Dean, since I dont think Gritschuk & Platov deserved their 94 gold which should have gone to Usova & Zhulin (and Torvill & Dean maybe should have won silver over Gritschuk & Platov as their program that night was technically harder and less sloppy, and both had illegal moments). I couldnt pick Klimova & Ponomarenko since I dont think they ever beat Torvill & Dean head to head even though they would have at the 92 and 94 Olympics had T&D competed, but those wouldnt count much when T&D were almost 40 by then.

2. usova94gold

usova94gold Member

I voted for Usova & Zhulin not since I really believe it is them but I know they probably wont get many votes and they are my favorite team ever. Plus they were clearly robbed of the 91 Worlds, 94 Olympics, 94 Worlds, 96 Worlds, 94 Europeans, 95 Europeans, and with those titles they might atleast be in consideration even if not the outright choice.

3. PairSk8Fan

PairSk8Fan Banned Member

My vote is for Ludmilla Pakhomova. She was a wonderful performer out there on the ice despite the very restrictive nature of the ice dance rules of the time.

To find to a statue of Ludmilla in Russia, Peggy Fleming was once told a "river of humanity" would lead you to her. She touched an entire empire with her performances.

4. Shyjosie

Shyjosie Active Member

From those listed, I picked Klimova/Ponomarenko, as they had earned Olympic medals in all colours (bronze'84, silver'88, gold'92, a unique achievement), had to cope with strong competitors during their amateur years and went on to be fantastic professionals. Their gold medal winning program from '92 might have even beaten Bolero (but I guess it's sacrilegeous to say such thing...) :slinkaway

5. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Vera

I think it would have, based on the level of difficulty.

6. usova94gold

usova94gold Member

It probably should have beaten Bolero based on the level of difficulty. However it probably wouldnt have based on the judges scoring. K&P only beat the Duchensays in the FD on a 5-4 split and had lower technical marks than the Duchensays, which was outrageously wrong.

7. usova94gold

usova94gold Member

Wow cant believe Virtue & Moir have more votes than Klimova & Ponomarenko. Virtue & Moir are a great team but they never dominated the way teams like Torvill & Dean, Klimova & Ponomarenko, or Gritschuk & Platov did.

8. VIETgrlTerifa

VIETgrlTerifa Well-Known Member

Klimova/Ponomarenko for me. They could have done anything.

9. aka_gerbil

aka_gerbil Rooting for the Underdogs

T/D, K/P, and G/P were all of a different political era. No team has won more than 2 world titles since G/P, for example. Also, placements and medal count aren't the sole criteria for determining which team is best based on skill and what they're putting down on ice in terms of skating/dancing.

10. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I think Torvill & Dean only faced Klimova & Ponomarenko way back in 1984 when K&P were a up and coming team and T&D were the best team in the world so you can't compare the two teams during that time. K&P were about 5 years from starting to hit their peak.

11. Jeschke

Jeschke Well-Known Member

bourne/kraatz but no navka/kostomarov, delobel/schoenfelder, denkova/staviski?:confused:

12. VIETgrlTerifa

T/D probably would have beaten K/P as, for some reason, K/P just weren't as politically popular by the time it was "their turn" to win. Compare the marks that they received in the 1989-1992 quad to Bestmianova/Bukin's from 1985-1988. Of course, K/P had to deal with the popularity of the Duschenays (with the championing and choreography of Christopher Dean), a totally changing ice dancing landscape that evolved to a more interpretive/modern dance style, and even the freshness of Usova/Zhulin at their peak.

13. Proustable

Proustable New Member

And no Regoczy/Sallay. I'm fine with B/K over N/K, but not over the D/S'

K/P and T/D are my top two.

14. blue_idealist

blue_idealist Well-Known Member

I know that pro results don't really "count" but how did the two teams do against each other in the pro competitions? Both of the teams retired before I started watching pro competitions often. I only remember seeing T&D compete in one pro competition and K&P were not there, IIRC.

15. blue_idealist

Oh yeah, voted for T&D but K&P and G&P are a close second and third. V&M will be right up there too if they win another OGM.

16. blue_idealist

B/K were definitely better than Delobel/Schoenfelder. N/K were at least as good as B/K but it seems like they were only around for such a short time. I agree about DenStas though, although I don't think they were much better than B&K.

17. overedge

overedge Well-Known Member

Why is this even a poll? Although there are some great teams on this list, Torvill and Dean set the standard for ice dance for many years, and got marks for their competitive programs that will probably never be equalled. A more accurate poll would be: who are the best ice dance team in history other than Torvill and Dean.

18. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

OK OK, I would have voted for Grishuk&Platov few month ago.
    But I discovered a lot of T&D videos. I already loved their amazing compulsories. But their OSP and FD are fabulous too.
    And the last program I've watched amazed me even more :
    Encounter Touching, effective... :swoon:

So, my vote goes to T&D :)

19. Cherub721

Cherub721 YEAH!

Well, so far over 60% of the FSUers who voted disagreed that T&D were the best, so apparently it was a good idea for a poll.... :p

The marks T&D received is one argument, but an argument can certainly be made for the team who beat T&D in the Olympics and went on to become the only two-time OGMs, or the only team in history to have a full set of Olympic medals...

I voted for B&B. I don't think they are the best in history, but I didn't think it was right for them to have zero votes. They are much better, more creative, and have a better career than many on this list. Besides, I always have a hard time deciding between G&P, K&P, T&D, and V&M.

20. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

Those are just amateur meetings. In their pro meetings where T&D always beat K&P even though they were way older. Although pro events were mostly fixed and depending on favortism anyway.

21. butyrskafanatic

butyrskafanatic Member

Well alot of people dont vote for T&D so it must be worth a poll.

I can see the point for Virtue & Moir made by one poster since they had Davis & White as a chief rival, and Davis & White are probably top 5 all time as well along with K&P, T&D, G&P, V&M, and maybe B&B. The others had no top rival that strong.

Torvill & Dean only had a not in their primes Bestiamanova & Bukin and an even further from their primes Klimova & Ponomarenko, and an always undermarked Blumberg & Seibert. No threats.

B&B had only K&P who the Russian hierarchy kept behind no matter what.

K&P had a technically weak but very popular Duchensays, and a beautiful but also technically limited Usova & Zhulin.

Gritschuk & Platov probably had the strongest competition with Krylova & Ovsiannikov and Anissina & Peizerat at once, and alot of other good secondary teams. Virtue & Moir the second hardest just due to Davis & White alone, even if there is nothing else at all. B&B or T&D had the easiest competition of all.

The dance field today is super weak as far as depth but Virtue & Moir and Davis & White each have to face a fellow best ever candidate. Plus ice dance judging is far different than it used to be. It used to be you were the champion and you had to fall all over to lose. Not so today.

22. DannyCurry

DannyCurry Active Member

Ice dancing is my least favorite discipline, and I know they weren't the best in CD or OD but I picked other, for the Duchesnays, the most innovative dancers ever, in my opinion. Yeah, maybe there was some jingoism accounting for my vote.

23. Rob

Rob Beach Bum

As much as I loved T&D, I think K&P's A Man and a Woman is my favorite FD ever.

24. snowbird

snowbird Active Member

Cherub721 and (deleted member) like this.
  25. VIETgrlTerifa

I'm just so happy to see Klimova/Ponomarenko leading this poll (though barely). I always think they're not appreciated enough.

26. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Why are Bourne & Kraatz on the poll.

27. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

It is close between the big 3 now but if Virtue & Moir win in Sochi everyone will have to concede they are the best ever, no arguments.

28. VIETgrlTerifa

As much as I love them, I won't concede that.

29. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

Well fair enough, but I think winning 2 Olympic Golds in a time with another one of the all time best like Davis & White would far trump what anyone in history have done. Klimova couldnt even win 2 with much weaker competition (in the 88 and 92 tries) and 3 tries. Same for Jayne Torvill and Dean who lost to an out of their prime Gritschuk & Platov and a way out of form Usova & Zhulin in their 3rd try of Olympic Gold. V&M would have had only 2 tries and won both vs first rate rivals who beat them many times.

30. VIETgrlTerifa

Well it's not as if Klimova/Ponomarenko or Torvill/Dean fell all over the place. There are other reasons aside from their own performances/skill set and their competition as to why they didn't win two OGMs. I'm also pretty sure Virtue/Moir were helped that COP ushered in a new era of ice dancing mobility that was unprecedented even if that's controlled now that most teams grew up under the IJS.