Best female skater of the 90s

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by KimGOAT, Apr 9, 2013.

?

Best lady skater of the 90s

1. Yamaguchi

104 vote(s)
    43.3%
  2. Lipinski

5 vote(s)
    2.1%
  3. Kwan

98 vote(s)
    40.8%
  4. Ito

21 vote(s)
    8.8%
  5. Bauil or Kerrigan or Gusmeroli

6 vote(s)
    2.5%
  6. Chen

6 vote(s)
    2.5%
  1. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

I am surprised Ito has such a tiny number of votes. I thought she was revered by skating fans and she is the best jumper in skating history, and jumping is the most important part of skating like it or not, and she also was a very good all around skater too. Then again maybe most are thinking she is more of an 80s skater.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  2. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

It was Yamaguchi that got me into watching figure skating regularly (along with her rivalry with Ito), but it was Michelle Kwan who made me a die-hard fan.

Michelle had amazing programs in the 95-96 season, and again in 97-98. She is a late-90's - early 2000's skater, but I think she did enough to be considered the best 90's female skater.

Midori Ito was a late 80's - early 90's skater. My vote would go for her in that era.

And yes, Michelle did beat Kristi in a head-to-head with her Pocahontas program. :p

3. Lnt175

Lnt175 Member

I agree Yamaguchi could have contended for gold at every competition from 93-95, but around 95 its gets a little dicey. Chens win was very close that year over Bonaly (doubling her second lutz saved her combo in the SP) so Kristi definitely could have pulled off the win, but some of her performances that year weren't up to her usual either. At world pros she handily lost to Sato, and at the Ultimate 4 that year she bombed her SP uncharacteristically so its not 100 percent certain she would win. In 96 I don't think anyone was touching Kwan or Chen with the level of performances they gave in both the SP and LP wheter they were clean or not.

4. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Yes, it was during the Ultimate Four Challenge. :)
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fbLdsAh7_cc

I wish we could have voted for more than one skater because it's really hard for me to choose a favorite. I voted for Kristi, and yes, I also like Michelle. :)

5. Gabybackhand

Gabybackhand Member

I guess if you go by achievements in the 90s alone it would be clearly Kristi but she was so boring and showed poor sportsmanship sometimes which is why I voted for Michelle.