Best female singles skater ever

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Andofanatic, Apr 16, 2013.

?

Best female skater in history

1. Dorothy Hamill

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  2. Sonja Henjie

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. Midori Ito

15 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Katarina Witt

16 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Janet Lynn

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. Michelle Kwan

98 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Yu Na Kim

125 vote(s)
    39.9%
  8. Mao Asada

9 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Irina Slutskaya

21 vote(s)
    6.7%
  10. Kristi Yamaguchi

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  11. Miki Ando

6 vote(s)
    1.9%
  12. Peggy Fleming

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  1. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

That is true !
    If we were to rank every skater, the results would be different. ;)

2. Gabybackhand

Gabybackhand Member

I think most would pick as their top 5 in no particular order Kim, Kwan, Ito, Witt, and Lynn. Bottom 5 of top 10 would probably be Henjie, Fleming, Hamill, Madge Syers, and one other skater (take your pick between Slutskaya, Yamaguchi, Colledge, Szabo, or Asada).

3. bardtoob

bardtoob Well-Known Member

Yeah ... THE ORDINALS MIGHT FLIP :rofl:

skateboy and (deleted member) like this.
  4. Vash01

Vash01 Fan of Julia, Elena, Anna, Liza, and Sasha

Really tough choice, but I went with Michelle Kwan. Since the OGM is not a requirement to be considered the best skater, my vote goes to the all-around skater who was technically consistent and artistically brilliant.

5. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

Who says? The only reason she was doing single jumps is because she didn't need to do anything more than that at that time.

FYI, she actually participated/competed in a number of sports outside of skating, finishing 2nd one year in Norway's national tennis championships. She even tried her hand at auto racing (in the pre-power steering era!). And I've seen pictures of her when she was in her mid-fifties; she was in the same physical shape as when she she was competing in skating.

6. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Cecelia Colledge was a better skater than Henjie IMO. Herma Szabo possibly was too. I have seen tapes of skaters from that era, and Henjie doesnt stand out as being by far the best to me even from people of that era. There are stories she benefited hugely from politics to win every event like she did and I certainly believe that was the case.

7. bardtoob

You act as if Cecelia could have won the 1936 Olympics if, after placing an exceptionally close 2nd in figures, she had not been placed 2nd of 26 in the freeskating order while Sonja got the 26th position in a judging system that called for saving room.

Maofan7 and (deleted member) like this.
  8. judgejudy27

Didnt Ceclia`s music not be played properly at the start too. Funny coincidence that is, along with the 2nd of 26 draw while Sonja drew 26 of 26.

9. lejssh

lejssh New Member

Yuna!!! She is the best for me. I love so much what she's doing on the ice.

10. Karina1974

Karina1974 Well-Known Member

First off, it's spelled Henie, no "j". And are you comparing figures or free skating? Because IIRC figures counted for something like 70% of the score at that time.

11. bardtoob

AND ... the scores in figures between the two were so close that Henie threw a Diva hissy fit in the skaters' lounge and tore the scores down. The Austrian judge tied the two.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2013
  12. judgejudy27

Maybe Henie feared for Cecilia`s free skating ability and felt she needed a bigger lead than that after figures. Then had Cecilia not drawn so early to skate, had her music started playing improperly, and nearly fell at the start of her performance, that likely would have proved to be the case. Such a shame due to the War Colledge never won Olympic Gold.

13. Andofanatic

Andofanatic Member

What is funny is Kim is winning this poll more easily with a bigger margin than my own poll of if she would be best ever with her 2nd Olympic Gold. I guess that means posters conclude her legacy is lowered if she wins the Olympics next year. I guess that is one reason to cheer for Kim to win the Olympics next year if Ando cant then, it makes her a lesser champion according to experts.

14. torren

torren New Member

Kim is the best female skater in history? I was surprised. This is nonsense to me.
    She is superb than Midori Ito, Sonja Henjie, Peggy Fleming? which part?artistry?technically?

In this list, she can be placed above than only Slutskaya and miki.

15. HVS

HVS Member

Well, it's nonsense to you, but very make sense to me and (so many) others :lol:

For me Yuna is super perfect than almost all of them :cool: just slighly less technical jump than Midori Ito, but has much higher artistry quality than her. Yuna 's artistry is equal with Kwan's, but Kwan's technical no way stronger than hers. Let alone the rest :rolleyes:

If you didn't find artistry from Yuna, sorry, it's your problem, not me :lol:

If you think any other skater is the best in history who is not named Yuna Kim, just go ahead and vote! Yuna has so much fans voted for her, it's not her fault :lol:

16. MCC

MCC New Member

haha.. stop bothering Andofanatic, your colleague.

17. chanunderrated

chanunderrated Member

There seems to be a huge disrespect to past champions. Kim, Kwan, and Slutskaya are the top 3 on the poll but I dont think that is really accurate to history. There are many skaters who achieved more than all 3 of those.

18. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Member

Yu Na Kim for now but if Mao Asada can pull an upset and win the 2014 Olympics, 2014 Worlds on home ice, and continues skating it would be her. Mao is IMO the most artistice female skater ever, and while her jump quality is nowhere near Kim, Ito, or Harding she attempts and often cleanly executed past the most difficult jump layouts in history, and combines that with superb spins, great footwork, and some of the best ever spirals.

19. DreamSkates

DreamSkates Active Member

It's likely that people vote for the person they are most familiar with. I didn't see Hamill and Fleming, among others. Only heard about them or saw snatches of a skate. So I voted for who I thought was "best" out of those I have been able to see skate several times. It's just a poll of a few people, what does it really mean? I like this skater, you like another. At this time in history there are so many highly accomplished skaters, a poll has to be just for fun.

20. giselle23

giselle23 Active Member

Really. Janet Lynn also had better lines, more musicality, smoother edge and flow. I am not voting in this poll because it has been repeated so many times. Here is a question: where would Yu Na rank without her triple-triple?

21. kwanoverrated

kwanoverrated Member

Why do Ito, Slutskaya, and Lynn not have more votes.

Lynn is the best artistic skater ever.

Ito is the best jumper ever. Kim closes close but not doing a quadruple toe, triple axel and even not doing the triple loop anymore it cant be her, even with her easy and incredible triple-triple combos of all kinds. Orser wanted her to start doing a quadruple toe and triple axel to establish herself the best lady jumper ever and that made her mad so she cruelly dumped him.

Slutskaya is the best overall technical skater ever considering jumps, jump combinations spins, footwork, spirals, moves in field, speed, edges, and stroking all combined. Kim comes closest but her spins and spirals are not as good as Slutskaya.

Those three should all have more votes.

So should Henie and Witt. Henie is the most decorated skater ever and Witt is the most decorated of modern times.