Best female singles skater ever

Discussion in 'The Trash Can' started by Andofanatic, Apr 16, 2013.

?

Best female skater in history

1. Dorothy Hamill

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  2. Sonja Henjie

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  3. Midori Ito

15 vote(s)
    4.8%
  4. Katarina Witt

16 vote(s)
    5.1%
  5. Janet Lynn

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  6. Michelle Kwan

98 vote(s)
    31.3%
  7. Yu Na Kim

125 vote(s)
    39.9%
  8. Mao Asada

9 vote(s)
    2.9%
  9. Irina Slutskaya

21 vote(s)
    6.7%
  10. Kristi Yamaguchi

7 vote(s)
    2.2%
  11. Miki Ando

6 vote(s)
    1.9%
  12. Peggy Fleming

1 vote(s)
    0.3%
  1. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

Hopefully the next one will have better poll options. It is terrible how many of the sports legends were left out and in favor of people like Miki freaking Ando, please!

2. lulu

lulu New Member

Should there be a poll on that? ;)

3. judgejudy27

judgejudy27 Well-Known Member

The womens is done so often probably since it is the only discipline that it is interesting to make a poll on. There is no obvious consensus best ever. The mens, pairs, and dance would be boring as all 3 have a huge consensus best ever.

4. duane

duane New Member

Fans need to respect the history of FS!!

Sonja Henie hands down! 14 Nationals, 8 Europeans, 10 World Golds, 3 Olympic Golds, International movie star (was #3 box office draw in 1938, only behind Shirley Temple and Clark Gable) who put figure skating on the map. She introduced dance routines into free-skating, was the first woman to wear short skirts above the knee, and had 19 different spins in her repertoire.

Yes, it's difficult to compare a skater from the 1920's-30's to those today. Still, how can someone as legendary as Henie not be considered the best in history??

5. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Because it's not the most decorated contest.
    And you know, Usain Bolt is better than Jesse Owens, as Gabrielle Douglas is better than Larissa Latynina :p

6. danceronice

danceronice Corgi Wrangler

Without Henie, there is no modern womens' figure skating. She defined the sport and is pretty much the ONLY figure skater pre-Flemming (sticking with the women) anyone who isn't a massive skating nerd has ever heard of. Innovative jumps for her time and figures, which most of the modern women would at best struggle with. Dominant in a way Yu Na hasn't been yet, without taking long breaks.

(Miki Ando? And, to be fair, Kristi Yamaguchi?)

bardtoob and (deleted member) like this.
  7. duane

duane New Member

:respec: :respec: :respec: to danceronice!

8. KimGOAT

KimGOAT Active Member

How the hell is Kim winning this poll. Two requirements for best ever should be:

1. Be the best in history at atleast one aspect of skating, preferably more than one.
    2. Have absolutely no weak aspects to your skating.

Kim doesnt even fulfill 1 of those 2 requirements. She isnt the best in any aspect of skating.

Jumps- Ito and Harding are better. Maybe Ando, Asada, and Slutskaya as well.
    Spins- LOL
    Footwork- Not even close.
    Spirals- LOL

Musicality- Good, but Kwan and Chen were better here. Janet Lynn probably was too.
    Lines and positions- she sucks
    Posture- she sucks
    Basic skating- Excellent, but even in her own era Kostner and maybe Lepisto are better.
    Elegance and Grace- She is very strong here but Lynn, Fleming, Cohen, and maybe Asada are all better.
    Maturity and Sophistication- In recent times I would rate Chen and Butyrskaya superior here.
    Choreography- Not best ever.
    Personality on ice- Not even close.

As for weaknesses her spins, spirals, positions and line, and posture are all weak. So she has many weaknesses in her skating, and isnt the best ever at anything.

BTW my username and the GOAT (greatest of all time) was about the tennis player Kim Clijsters, not the figure skater Yu Na Kim, in case anyone is surprised at my post given my name.

9. HVS

HVS Member

I think you can just go ahead and vote for any other skater you love/admire, no need to spend time to ask others why they vote for their idol

This is a poll in forum, seriously, you will win if you have ton of fans, just don't care anything else

So, my bias is Kim Yuna and I voted for her, it's not your business, the end!!!

10. fscric

fscric Active Member

I would think giving Kim Clijsters the GOAT is more questionable than considering Yuna Kim the best female skater.

11. duane

duane New Member

You beat me to the punch with this one! I'm surprised anyone would even admit to proclaiming that Kim Clijsters is the GOAT in tennis!! That is just TOO funny!!!!!! :rofl::rofl::rofl:

12. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

KimGOAT = kwanlysacek = Andofanatic (who created this thread and is a yuna hater pretending to be an ando fan) = ...

To be continued...

Last edited: Apr 20, 2013
  13. os168

os168 Active Member

Hmmm... I wonder if KimGOAT/Kwanlysacek/Andofanatic is ESTA's disowned 2nd generation naughty cousin fresh off the boat. He/She/It clearly have the black mark for Yuna, never mind Ms Kim Yu Na continues to be black mark resistant since Korean cosmetics are known to be light years ahead in the anti-black spots whitening solution multi-billlion dollar industry. Or that she is currently on a streak of going 'clean'.

It is a lost cause really.

May be it would be wiser to focus on watching a bit more tennis instead. How about create a poll on: is Kim the greatest tennis player of all time and annoy someone else on the tennisthrashinguniverse.com instead?

14. SkateBlades17

SkateBlades17 New Member

Michelle Kwan is my choice.

15. t.mann

t.mann New Member

Oksana Baiul should be on the poll, although she is not the greatest female skater.
    Baiul is the only top-level female skater in history who is ‘near‘ to true artist. (Interestingly there is no true artist in ladies discipline unlike men.) Of course, unfortunately Baiul did not actualize fully her potential as an artist.

16. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

I agree. Oksana had a presence on the ice that very few skaters have ever had. She could skate to Swan lake one moment then do an exhibition program to Michael Jackson. And she had it at such a young age. There is no teaching what she had.

17. ehdtkqorl123

ehdtkqorl123 New Member

It's funny that whenever I see Andofanatic's poll, I can always see an evil intention.

18. orbitz

orbitz Well-Known Member

Sonja Henie. Undefeated in 10 years and gave birth to professional ice shows.

19. RickInSanJose

RickInSanJose Active Member

[This Post Intentionally Blank.]

20. lowtherlore

lowtherlore New Member

I can see about the only intention for certain handful of posters (with multi ids, probably) who create the polls of this kind over and over is: to solicit negative comments and controversies on certain skater(s). And it’ll never end!

I didn’t make a pick. But, since it was set up again by an obvious Yu-Na hater, and me being a Yu-Na fan, my two cents: Kim is already among the greats like Lynn, Witt, Yamaguchi and Kwan.

There have been only a few skaters who can match or better Kim in ANY ONE of the following categories:

Power
    Speed
    Precision / Control
    Elegance / Grace
    Performance finesse
    Performance versatility
    Body of quality works
    Competition records
    Consistency
    Dominance
    Mental strength
    Intangibles / Star quality (wow factor)

She’s on an amazing tour de force.

21. EricRohmer

EricRohmer New Member

+ so that people would not like to root for Yuna in Sochi journey, or in order to jinx her (according to an explanation by Andofanatic). :D

Last edited: Apr 21, 2013
  22. orientalplane

orientalplane Mad for mangelwurzels

That must have been painful.

PeterG and (deleted member) like this.
  23. falling_dance

falling_dance ToT Thread For Sale

:rofl:

24. Proustable

Proustable New Member

Dance: K/P and T/D, probably. Though I think we'd see a huge bias towards the Olympic era (1976 onwards), leaving three 4-time world champions in the cold.

Pairs: G/G and the Protopopovs, with a nod towards Irina Rodnina.

Men: I'd be interested to see how the consensus would be formed here, and I think one consensus favourite (Dick Button) suffers from the same thing that Henie does - his achievements all happened a while ago.

Of course, we could point out that Henie would struggle with the athletic requirements of modern figure skating. We could argue that her dominance was just as much due to chicanery and odd structure, etc.

25. PUNKPRINCESS

PUNKPRINCESS New Member

Well, this poll speaks the truth, doesn't it?

Miki Ando: 5
    Janet Lynn: 4
    Dorothy Hamill: 1

:D

26. briancoogaert

briancoogaert Well-Known Member

Wheeee !
    Miki Ando is 5-time better than Dorothy Hamill ! :p

27. Simone411

Simone411 aka IceSkate98

Oh yeah. She gets my vote, too! :D

28. Jammers

Jammers Well-Known Member

Wanda Beezle :lol:

29. Gabybackhand

Gabybackhand Member

Has to be Yu Na Kim. Nobody in the triple jump era (the era beginning with Witt`s retirement) has dominated to the extent of Yu Na, including Kwan. If one wants to compare Kwan to Kim I believe Kwan lost 16 times in 8 seasons in her prime (1996-2003) while Kim has lost only 6 times in 6 seasons in her prime (2007-2013 excluding the 2011-2012 season). This despite that Kim had much tougher competition.

30. Gabybackhand

Gabybackhand Member

Those that votes for Lynn and Hamill are sane individuals, but unfortunately most of the sane individuals are favoring Kim and Kwan so they are losing all their votes to them. The 5 that voted for Ando are insane individuals thus belong in a seperate category. If the poll only had Ando, Lynn, and Hamill, and who was the best of those 3 Ando would still have only 5 votes (the same 5 people) and the other two would have over 100.